Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Two more questions:

- How exactly does the district limit (and Civs who can circumvent it) work?

- If you haven't spent any time on Faith and some Faith focused Civ comes along and converts you, can you do anything to stop their impending Faith victory short of wiping them out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wow in my current game you actually CANT circumnavigate the world. Its blocked north to south

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Really should have gone to HOI4 for Ruhr Valley quote

That is excellent. And actually funny. Goddammit Civ 6.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Tom Tucker posted:

What makes the Aztecs good - is it the ability to basically buy districts with the worker ability?

For Scythia, is it abusing the crazy amount of gold you get from selling units?

I've only finished one game (Aztec on Prince) so I don't have a handle on the other Civs or difficulties, but based on how many people have posted about production woes in this thread, the Aztec worker ability to rush district building is super powerful. Combined with the ways to boost numbers of charges per worker, you just poo poo out workers and can build districts so fast to bring conquered or newly settled cities up to speed quickly. In the mid/late game, I was being slowed by district limits (not enough pop to build another district) than by production. Though it's a bit fiddly -- the district needs to be queued up in the city build queue in order to expend each worker charge, so each turn I was constantly swapping city build to the district, using the worker, then switching the city back to whatever building/unit I wanted the city to be building. This level of micromanagement was overkill for Prince difficulty, but it'd be nice if you could use the worker ability on a district regardless of whatever the city has queued.

Not sure whether I'll up the difficulty and stick with Aztecs, or try out some other Civs on Prince/King first. I'm really enjoying the game -- way more than Civ V at launch -- but would agreed with lots of the comments in thread (bad quotes, UI/tooltips need work to show more/better info, some balancing issues).

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
Is there really no "Earth" map? ::(:

Did it not come with Civ 5 at launch?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Your Computer posted:

Two more questions:

- If you haven't spent any time on Faith and some Faith focused Civ comes along and converts you, can you do anything to stop their impending Faith victory short of wiping them out?

1) Every district you build of a type increases the next district of that type by X production. It's like builders, or holy units.

2) If someone wiped out your religion you're SOL. Once a religion no longer has a majority in a city it can't exert pressure and you can't make holy units for it anymore. No more "permanent holy city pressure" like in V. Well, maybe as a technicality you might be able to exert pressure with Jerusalem's Suzerain ability depending on how it works but that's an edge case at best and requires Jerusalem to be near your cities.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Your Computer posted:

Two more questions:

1) You can build one specialty district per 3 pop. So your city can have 1 between 1 and 3 pop, 2 at pops 4-6, and so on. Neighborhoods, Aquaducts, and any Unique Districts do not count towards this limit.

2) Not really. Well, you could declare war and hunt down missionaries/apostles when they go to convert other cities, which might work alright if they are coming from a different landmass. Or you could win first some other way.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

At what point do you start getting the resources from City-States that you have enough envoys for? I had a city-state bro who had Nitre, but when I maxxed them out they didn't have a mine on it (so I didn't get Nitre, as expected). They built a Mine (which made my sociopathic civ leader happy) but I never go the Nitre from it. Am I missing something?

As far as I know you just have to be their Suzerain.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Gort posted:

Don't worry, the crack coding team at Firaxis are already working on a patch that will be ready for release in two months and will randomly make some wonders better, some wonders worse, and it'll be one of two patches to the game total.

I am excited already, will make a nice Christmas present! :v:

Your Computer posted:

As long as I can trace a line to my city in 6 or less tiles, the AoE effects like "every city within 6 tiles also gets the bonus" will work right?

I'm not used to hex grids :saddowns:

They should really allow you to zoom out while placing it, draw a 6 ring showing the range, and highlight all the cities which would be affected. Maybe outright count the affected cities too. It's a turn based game, it's not like there's much going on during the player's turn.

Alkydere posted:

Also, I love religious combat. I sent a holy blob through America to take out Spain only for Arabia to trickle in and try to send 1-2 apostles at a time against my 7-8. Next thing I know America's following my religion and everyone else is beaten back.

It's less fun when a cloud of 20 Apostles/missionaries appear with a steady stream of reinforcements behind them and you've got to to mobilize a counter-blob or lose your religion. The neat lightning bolts get a lot less charming when you have to watch it 10+ times per turn forevermore. I'd prefer taking more of it offmap, like tourism. Use the pressure system more, and have religious units be rarer but more durable. Like maybe you build a cathedral in a religious zone, which allows you to build an apostle (kinda like the archaeologist) and then they act like a walking holy city/signal booster. Instead of coming with charges, you'd just buy conversions bursts with faith on the unit, but he might need some ramp up time to prevent blitzkriegs. Religious buildings could offer conversion defence. Combat between religious units would work much like it does, but the loser would be kicked back to his home cathedral and would not be allowed to enter your territory for a while. Maybe you could spend lots of faith to launch crusade and get a bonus to religious combat again one civ for a while. You could build helpful stuff in other civs cities which also spread your religion with their permission - say missionary schools. Have a Reformation and Counter-Reformation at some point midgame to shake up whatever religion is dominant.

StashAugustine posted:

Really should have gone to HOI4 for Ruhr Valley quote

Ha, I put that in.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 24, 2016

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

703 posted:

Is there really no "Earth" map? ::(:

Did it not come with Civ 5 at launch?

Why would they bother with an Earth map when fans create a new Earth mapscript every iteration?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gully Foyle posted:

1) You can build one specialty district per 3 pop. So your city can have 1 between 1 and 3 pop, 2 at pops 4-6, and so on. Neighborhoods, Aquaducts, and any Unique Districts do not count towards this limit.

2) Not really. Well, you could declare war and hunt down missionaries/apostles when they go to convert other cities, which might work alright if they are coming from a different landmass. Or you could win first some other way.

Actually, the breakpoints are 1-4, 5-7, 8-10 for districts. And Germany starts with a +1.

And you don't have to hunt the religious units down to kill them. Build apostles to start crushing the enemy with religious combat. If one of your cities falls, have an apostle declare inquisition on it and start building inquisitors. They're weaker than apostles, but cheaper and can instantly clear an unwanted religion from your cities. You get an innate bonus to religious combat inside your territories, and can back off wounded holy units to your holy sites to heal, therefore minimizing your losses.

Every religious victory acts as both a spread and a mini-inquisition, adding to the victor's strength and subtracting from the loser's in all cities within a 6 or so tile range. So if you can get more victories than losses the invaders will actually work against themselves.

Or you can build a giant faith-bomb of apostles and missionaries and convert the enemy so he goes off and uses your religion to bother someone else.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Darkrenown posted:

They should really allow you to zoom out while placing it, draw a 6 ring showing the range, and highlight all the cities which would be affected. Maybe outright count the affected cities too. It's a turn based game, it's not like there's much going on during the player's turn.

Yeah, more stuff like the (fantastic) new Settler visual mode would be great. Having a visualization of what's actually going on instead of having to count hexes and stuff goes a huge way to make the game more approachable for non-strategy game people like me.

Stuff like being able to see the results of switching policy cards around too (it would take some serious time and maths to figure out whether switching some economic cards for others will be profitable, for instance) would be huge, too.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Alkydere posted:

Not that I can tell! I mean, sure your districts will start getting more and more expensive, but there's no global happiness anymore. So a lovely city with 5 population isn't really hurting your empire as a whole, and isn't sucking up that many luxury amenities either while adding whatever science, culture, faith or money it's adding.

Also note that luxuries apparently don't work quite as advertised before launch. You only get the 4 amenities from the first luxury, extra copies don't get you extra luxuries however. But those four will automatically be shifted around to the least happy cities that need them.

District cost is based on your civic research. More Civics researched = higher cost.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So there's no way to tell America to stop his ineffectual war he's had against one of my allied city states forever eh? Like, If he just conquered it I could declare a liberation war, but he's way behind in tech and doesn't have nitre so he's not getting anywhere.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Jastiger posted:

Wow in my current game you actually CANT circumnavigate the world. Its blocked north to south

Mine had a narrow channel connecting the two oceans. The only unit I lost that game was a nuclear submarine that got bottled in by a city state's frigate spam. I assumed that subs could travel underneath other naval units, but nope.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Alkydere posted:

1) Every district you build of a type increases the next district of that type by X production. It's like builders, or holy units.
This actually isn't true! Specialty district costs scale from your tech or civics, whichever you are more advanced in. Neighborhoods, aqueducts and probably something I'm forgetting have their costs scale from "game progress", whatever that is.

You do, however, get a 25% discount if you have less districts of that kind than the average civ, apparently.

Alkydere posted:

2) If someone wiped out your religion you're SOL. Once a religion no longer has a majority in a city it can't exert pressure and you can't make holy units for it anymore. No more "permanent holy city pressure" like in V. Well, maybe as a technicality you might be able to exert pressure with Jerusalem's Suzerain ability depending on how it works but that's an edge case at best and requires Jerusalem to be near your cities.

You could actually wipe out a holy city in V as well, you just had to use an inquisitor to do it so you had to conquer it first. At which point the pressure probably would be a nuisance at worst, but you could do it.

e: Also you seem to get one more district at 4, 7, and 9 pop? not sure how it goes after that. Also that's a really odd progression so I have no idea how it's supposed to work.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 24, 2016

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Alkydere posted:

Also, I love religious combat. I sent a holy blob through America to take out Spain only for Arabia to trickle in and try to send 1-2 apostles at a time against my 7-8. Next thing I know America's following my religion and everyone else is beaten back.

I really like it too. I thought it seemed like a really stupid idea when I first heard about it, but it's pretty cool to have a way to spread your religion to multiple cities without using a charge.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

So there's no way to tell America to stop his ineffectual war he's had against one of my allied city states forever eh? Like, If he just conquered it I could declare a liberation war, but he's way behind in tech and doesn't have nitre so he's not getting anywhere.

Haha, of course not. Why would you have any right to protect your little vassal states which ,ight be giving your bonuses your empire depends on to stay solvent? You can't even ask/warn people to stop trying to out-envoy you, or get any warning someone is coming close to out-envoying you in a sate you are suzerain of.

Staltran posted:

This actually isn't true! Specialty district costs scale from your tech or civics, whichever you are more advanced in. Neighborhoods, aqueducts and probably something I'm forgetting have their costs scale from "game progress", whatever that is.

You do, however, get a 25% discount if you have less districts of that kind than the average civ, apparently.

Huh, even more involved than I thought. Shame this is mentioned basically no where, or no where easily found.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Alkydere posted:

Build apostles to start crushing the enemy with religious combat.

That sort of works. Every time I've ever had enemy religious units come into my territory they've come in a wave that blocked out the sun.

In my current game I literally had 17 scythia apostles arrive the same turn

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Azhais posted:

That sort of works. Every time I've ever had enemy religious units come into my territory they've come in a wave that blocked out the sun.

In my current game I literally had 17 scythia apostles arrive the same turn

I managed to do that myself to the AI while playing as Arabia. At least this game gives you the ability to spam religious units right back as far as I've seen so far. I swear that the V AI got a free missionary every turn.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

hitting F on a unit that can't fortify does not set them to sleep. presumably that would be too convenient.

setting it to F in the controls just unbinds the fortify command.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I had a different problem, was specifically gunning for a science victory so I just built a tech lead and turtled with minor expansions here and there, but Frederick declared a war against me where he was constantly just throwing two-age-old military units at my borders that were getting beaten back before they even reached a city. As a result I started accumulating war weariness and I didn't realize that war weariness increases your pressure for amenities. I was already slightly under the required amenities in one of my larger cities so I kept ignoring the warnings but eventually the situation got so bad my city rebelled and spawned two barbarian units around my capital. But, unlike Frederick, these were actual current-age units and since my capital was kind of behind my border bloc it still had older age units guarding it. So I actually had a harder time beating back my own rebel units because of that war weariness rather than beating back the opponent in that war. I sued for peace and gave him 1 GPT and he finally went away.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Darkrenown posted:

Huh, even more involved than I thought. Shame this is mentioned basically no where, or no where easily found.

As far as I can tell, it's only mentioned in a xml file, where it's defined for each district what CostProgressionModel they follow. A CostProgressionParam1 is also defined. That one's an integer, but CostProgressionModels are apparently hardcoded, and how they work is educated guesswork at this point. I was basing what I said on a reddit post that I can't seem to find now.

Specialty districts have CostProgressionModel="COST_PROGRESSION_NUM_UNDER_AVG_PLUS_TECH" CostProgressionParam1="25", non-specialty CostProgressionModel="COST_PROGRESSION_GAME_PROGRESS" CostProgressionParam1="1000". Civ uniques have half base cost. District projects have CostProgressionModel="COST_PROGRESSION_GAME_PROGRESS" CostProgressionParam1="1500".

Now you know everything I know. I have no idea why none of this is documented. Where did the whole idea that districts increased the cost of later districts come from, anyway? I remember hearing it before the game was released, and I'm pretty sure everyone thought that was how it worked.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
It seems to me that if someone declares war on you and you take one of their cities in the ensuing war, you take the same warmonger penalty as they would if they had captured one of yours. Normay declares a surprise war on me, I take one of their cities and get an "Egregious" warmonger penalty. Aztecs declare a holy war on me, I only take a "Moderate" warmonger penalty. Why the gently caress should I take any warmonger penalty for taking a city when they declared war? Am I supposed to just be a good little boy and destroy their army and then just sit around till they beg for peace?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yea there really needs to be a "gently caress off from my City State" casus belli or reduced warmonger penalties for declaring on rival civs who are at war with your allies, or SOMETHING other than just having to sit back and watch your city state allies get steamrolled (or in your case, harassed eternally), or step in and be hated universally for the rest of the game.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Any fix to the leader animations not working? They just stand there frozen now, game is otherwise working fine

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Might as well pile onto the diplomacy/AI thing.

In my game as Saladin I feel like a broke the game. I could have won I science victory pre 1900 I think if I had tried and really focused science, but I decided since it was my first game that got that far that I was going to mess around with some of the later game stuff. I was researching future tech by 1900 even considering that I stopped focusing my victory since I was running away with it.

In any case I was neighbors with Kongo, who loving loved me all game because I immediately spread my religion to him. He and I were best buds for the better part of two millenia. For some reason, I think the AI decided that he wanted to attack Norway who is on the opposite side of my empire from Kongo. So he packed up his army and moved it through my territory to the opposite border. Then he stopped. Our deals lapsed and his army was trapped. It sat there for hundreds of years unmoving, quickly becoming an eyesore. I gave him open borders for free so he could keep moving his army.

The very next turn he declares war on me. I was so far ahead in science at this point that I straight up machine gunned his crappy medieval units into paste. After the war ended (wherein I made him pay me an absurd amount of gold per turn) he was totes best buds with me again.

The game continues on and Victoria does the same thing. Has an army consisting of medieval knights that appears like it is going to attack a city state. It sits outside the city state for hundreds of years. Eventually I become her friend too and she immediately moves her army into my territory and parks it there for another couple hundred years. I figured like Kongo she was gearing up to declare a surprise war on me so I waited. And waited. And waited. Eventually I get mad because it's a loving eye sore to have 15-20 knights parked up in your poo poo so I declared a colonial war (a hilarious option btw) and wiped her lovely army off the map. Every single other civ in the game is upset at me sans Kongo who remains my best bud even though I killed his army too.

Anyways it's just a little past 1900 now and I've decided enough is enough and I'm leaving this poo poo planet for mars, later dudes.

But yeah, the AI and diplomacy are the areas in need of the most love for sure.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 24, 2016

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Staltran posted:

You could actually wipe out a holy city in V as well, you just had to use an inquisitor to do it so you had to conquer it first. At which point the pressure probably would be a nuisance at worst, but you could do it.

e: Also you seem to get one more district at 4, 7, and 9 pop? not sure how it goes after that. Also that's a really odd progression so I have no idea how it's supposed to work.

Huh. drat this game is obscure at times. I'm liking it as i get used to it more, but the UI guys really need to get their poo poo together.

And the # of districts/city 1 district for every 3 population after your initial. So you get plus one at 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, etc. Of course getting there is a bit of an issue, VI's cities aren't nearly as big as V's, especially when you factory in housing.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

It seems to me that if someone declares war on you and you take one of their cities in the ensuing war, you take the same warmonger penalty as they would if they had captured one of yours. Normay declares a surprise war on me, I take one of their cities and get an "Egregious" warmonger penalty. Aztecs declare a holy war on me, I only take a "Moderate" warmonger penalty. Why the gently caress should I take any warmonger penalty for taking a city when they declared war? Am I supposed to just be a good little boy and destroy their army and then just sit around till they beg for peace?
It's weird, but realistic (see, e.g., the history of Israel).

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Khisanth Magus posted:

You can also give the city back in peace talks

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

You definitely do get a warmonger penalty because I've seen the very same thing happen as well. Apparently the expectation is for you to beat them back and sue for peace instead of turning the tables on them I guess. It's kind of lovely in my opinion. I actually think it'd be neat and thematically appropriate if you straight up eliminated the civilization in counter-attack you should get a very tiny warmonger reduction because you've actually made the world a little safer from a different warmonger :shobon: Not going to happen, but a man can dream.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Khisanth Magus posted:

You know how the whole world took it amiss when America invaded Iraq after 9/11?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

How about them late game yields by the way

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Brannock posted:

You know how the whole world took it amiss when America invaded Iraq after 9/11?

Yeah, well, that was invading a sovereign nation just because they theoretically supported a radical group of civilians that blew up a building.

They probably would have been slightly less amiss had Iraq invaded Florida first. maybe that's a bad example state

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Alkydere posted:

Huh. drat this game is obscure at times. I'm liking it as i get used to it more, but the UI guys really need to get their poo poo together.

And the # of districts/city 1 district for every 3 population after your initial. So you get plus one at 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, etc. Of course getting there is a bit of an issue, VI's cities aren't nearly as big as V's, especially when you factory in housing.

Yeah I just realized the tooltip tells you when the next one unlocks. I'm definitely getting 4 district slots in all of my 9 pop cities though. I think I used a great person that gave me one extra in the capital, but I still have 3 other 9 pop cities with 4 district slots. They're all conquered though, maybe that's somehow related? Kinda doubt the AI got a +1 district bonus in all of them though... Dunno what's going on there. Maybe it doesn't count districts that were there when you got the city? That would definitely be a bug though.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Where the gently caress is the Sentry command, obama???

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

No Safe Word posted:

You definitely do get a warmonger penalty because I've seen the very same thing happen as well. Apparently the expectation is for you to beat them back and sue for peace instead of turning the tables on them I guess. It's kind of lovely in my opinion. I actually think it'd be neat and thematically appropriate if you straight up eliminated the civilization in counter-attack you should get a very tiny warmonger reduction because you've actually made the world a little safer from a different warmonger :shobon: Not going to happen, but a man can dream.

I *think* that if you get them to cede you the city in peace talks you don't take the warmonger hit.

I captured a bunch of cities from Roosevelt in a defensive war. I put the screws to him until he ceded all three in the peace talks and now I'm still friends with leaders that hate warmongers (Gandhi, Pericles etc).

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I took a city that Brazil forward settled on me like 1000 years ago and got them to cede in the ensuing peace talks and they still denounce me every 30 turns for occupying one of their cities.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
yeah you have to ask them to cede the city. This also reduces the unhappiness penalty that city normally has when you've taken it in conquest (WHAT UNHAPPINESS PENALTY you ask? The one in the city details screen no one looks at because this UI is dumb as poo poo.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Mandatory Assembly posted:

Are there *any* downsides to going wide anymore?

The downside is there's no build queue so you're going to be doing alot of pointless building

Khisanth Magus posted:

The thing is it makes sense that just because someone declared war on you it doesn't make it right for you to go and take their capital and wipe their civilization off the map.

Aerdan posted:

Why would they bother with an Earth map when fans create a new Earth mapscript every iteration?

Likewise why waste time paying for beta testers for two months when you can just get suckers to preorder into a beta test for you