Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kanfy posted:

The Social Media civic page is pretty much what you'd expect:

The Social Media civic page is sorely missing "tyool"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mandatory Assembly posted:

I *think* that if you get them to cede you the city in peace talks you don't take the warmonger hit.

I captured a bunch of cities from Roosevelt in a defensive war. I put the screws to him until he ceded all three in the peace talks and now I'm still friends with leaders that hate warmongers (Gandhi, Pericles etc).

They definitely do hate you for occupying the cities you get in a peace deal though. I was pulled into war by Gilgamesh and the only city I took by force was one he took off of Sparta, and then he traded me one for peace once I did. He then denounced me later on because I "occupy one of his cities". You gave it to me bro!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Aspyr keeps teasing that the Mac version might come out today.

I'm happy to wait a little longer for a finished product, but a game today would be amazing.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mondlicht posted:

I poked around and found that this is something that is cropping up within the last day or so, people playing the game fine and then all of a sudden it either doesn't load or loads like trash. This happened to me, and I went into Windows Defender and just added the entire Steam folder as an exclusion. That fixed it, for me.

I wanted to say I did the exact same thing and it also was fixed.

Extra info in my situation: everything worked fine until today, virus definitions were updated today. Coincidence? Can I eventually remove the exclusion? Who the gently caress knows?

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

The thing is it makes sense that just because someone declared war on you it doesn't make it right for you to go and take their capital and wipe their civilization off the map.

I don't negotiate with terrorists.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

No Safe Word posted:

They definitely do hate you for occupying the cities you get in a peace deal though. I was pulled into war by Gilgamesh and the only city I took by force was one he took off of Sparta, and then he traded me one for peace once I did. He then denounced me later on because I "occupy one of his cities". You gave it to me bro!

But third parties don't, apparently. It makes sense that someone would keep a grudge over you conquering their cities, even if they ceded them in the peace deal.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Do you get extra warmonger penalties for telling someone to gently caress off with their peace deal or not?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
If Pericles didn't want me to take his cities he wouldn't have settled them between mine. I'm not letting the guy who declared two wars on Gandhi get away with that.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

jBrereton posted:

Do you get extra warmonger penalties for telling someone to gently caress off with their peace deal or not?

Probably. I continually end up wardecced by everyone else eventually if I keep rejecting peace offers, even if I don't actually take any cities (just, you know, murder everything they build)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I swear to god I saw Saladin bring his army very slowly past China as I was beating the poo poo out of it, and it's like "I can loving see you"

Suddenly Roosevelt is getting pissed that I am having a war on his continent? gently caress you I am going to burn down the entire earth and salt the ashes, all of you will rue the day you did this!

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
That's pretty much how I play Saladin, Kingdom of Heaven style.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Josef bugman posted:

Suddenly Roosevelt is getting pissed that I am having a war on his continent?

Honestly I never get this sort of thing. Starting from the moment I get my second government every civ in the game denounces me every two turns for having a different government. Except Kongo who denounces me every two turns for not spreading my religion to him while simultaneously maintaining a giant wall of acolytes that murder any religious unit that comes near him.

Apparently I lack conviction.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Alkydere posted:

Huh. drat this game is obscure at times. I'm liking it as i get used to it more, but the UI guys really need to get their poo poo together.

We all know they won't. It's V all over again Release the molding tools, Firaxis. We will fix it ourselves

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Is there a mod to disable diplomacy yet?

That was literally the best feature of Civ 5 multiplayer, the AI couldn't spam me with fullscreen messages of "We like your potatoes!" or "We disapprove of you settling cities next to us (nevermind that it was actually us settling right between your two existing cities)".

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

Probably. I continually end up wardecced by everyone else eventually if I keep rejecting peace offers, even if I don't actually take any cities (just, you know, murder everything they build)
I am currently theoretically at war with everyone except the 2 wussiest factions, about half of whom wardecced me.

I managed to accidentally declare war on China because they got shirty about me moving my stuff near them when we had open borders, and I clicked the wrong dialogue button (maybe they should put a CONFIRM THIS DRASTIC ACT dialogue in there) when I was about to go glass Sparta in the face due to the controls getting a bit mushy.

This game really really needs some fine tuning of stuff like that and the aforementioned lack of a Sentry button.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Falcorum posted:

Is there a mod to disable diplomacy yet?

That was literally the best feature of Civ 5 multiplayer, the AI couldn't spam me with fullscreen messages of "We like your potatoes!" or "We disapprove of you settling cities next to us (nevermind that it was actually us settling right between your two existing cities)".

I wish.

The wealth agendas in particular are wonky as gently caress. If you go on a big spending turn and you reduce your treasury by enough (while still having a big surplus each turn), you can trigger the "Hey man you're going broke how you gonna last bro?" agenda trigger and then the very next turn get the "Man it's nice to be rolling in dough my dude" agenda trigger from the same leader.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
So what's the current balance like? Seems like horsemen are OP along with Scythia. And religious victories seem to be the strongest.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Azhais posted:

Honestly I never get this sort of thing. Starting from the moment I get my second government every civ in the game denounces me every two turns for having a different government. Except Kongo who denounces me every two turns for not spreading my religion to him while simultaneously maintaining a giant wall of acolytes that murder any religious unit that comes near him.

Apparently I lack conviction.

Well I thought playing as Rome I might get a bit of conquering done. Evidentially a "bit" is now going to include at least 5+ civilizations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

No Safe Word posted:

you can trigger the "Hey man you're going broke how you gonna last bro?" agenda trigger and then the very next turn get the "Man it's nice to be rolling in dough my dude" agenda trigger from the same leader.

That is super annoying. Rome kept opening a window to say "nice army, not." one turn then "I do like someone with a big army!" the next OVER AND OVER AND OVER. Then I built a single caravel (pangea, so never needed a navy) and immediately Norway is congratulating me on my giant armada because literally nobody else had a ship.

I really hope they reduce the volume of diplomatic triggers in an early patch

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

No Safe Word posted:

I wish.

The wealth agendas in particular are wonky as gently caress. If you go on a big spending turn and you reduce your treasury by enough (while still having a big surplus each turn), you can trigger the "Hey man you're going broke how you gonna last bro?" agenda trigger and then the very next turn get the "Man it's nice to be rolling in dough my dude" agenda trigger from the same leader.

In theory, I love all of this poo poo. The basic idea is that they're simplifying the AI attitudes and surfacing why the AI feels the way it does. Sometimes.

If this worked well, it would address the single biggest problem with Civ AIs since Civ II: why the gently caress did the AI just declare war/break my alliance/accept this lovely deal? But in practice, I think they didn't go far enough with it. It's cool that each AI has simple, predictable rules for how it behaves so I can tailor my behaviour to get the response that I want. But it's still too fiddly and mysterious. In my current game I've had only positive relationship modifiers with Philip for hundreds of turns. He's been friendly practically the whole game. But he won't sign a friendship dec for love or money. I have literally no idea why.

tl;dr -- the new diplo is a great idea that doesn't work yet.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

But he won't sign a friendship dec for love or money. I have literally no idea why.

I wasn't aware this was a thing that ever happened in Civ 5 or 6. I've literally never had an offer of friendship declaration accepted. I gave up trying long ago so maybe it's possible but just extremely unlikely.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I wasn't aware this was a thing that ever happened in Civ 5 or 6. I've literally never had an offer of friendship declaration accepted. I gave up trying long ago so maybe it's possible but just extremely unlikely.

I've had plenty of friendship decs signed in both 5 and 6. Are you playing on Deity or something?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

In theory, I love all of this poo poo. The basic idea is that they're simplifying the AI attitudes and surfacing why the AI feels the way it does. Sometimes.

If this worked well, it would address the single biggest problem with Civ AIs since Civ II: why the gently caress did the AI just declare war/break my alliance/accept this lovely deal? But in practice, I think they didn't go far enough with it. It's cool that each AI has simple, predictable rules for how it behaves so I can tailor my behaviour to get the response that I want. But it's still too fiddly and mysterious. In my current game I've had only positive relationship modifiers with Philip for hundreds of turns. He's been friendly practically the whole game. But he won't sign a friendship dec for love or money. I have literally no idea why.

tl;dr -- the new diplo is a great idea that doesn't work yet.

Haven't picked up Civ6 yet, but that sounds an awful lot like the diplomacy system in Beyond Earth: Rising Tide. Except in BERT's case, what each civ likes and dislikes changes over time depending on what social traits they pick up, and it sound like the AI's comments take up the whole diplomacy screen in this game instead of being a text message at the top of the screen in normal view.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The Human Crouton posted:

We all know they won't. It's V all over again Release the molding tools, Firaxis. We will fix it ourselves

How did they make the same mistake that they did at V's launch: forgetting to put a quick reset button in? They later had to come in and patch that in, and they're going to do it here.

At least Civ V saved your previous start settings though.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i dont read instructions well

whats the difference between missionaries and apostles? how should i be using them

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

KyloWinter posted:

So what's the current balance like? Seems like horsemen are OP along with Scythia. And religious victories seem to be the strongest.
Atrocious, and the AI is very very bad beyond the ability for bonus resources to help it do anything but maybe win a science victory. Even the added combat strength at high difficulties is insufficient.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Missionaries and Apostles can both convert cities. Apostles can also attack other missionaries/apostles, while missionaries can only defend. If you defeat a religious unit with yours, all the cities around decrease in the loser's faith and increase in the winner's

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Madcosby posted:

whats the difference between missionaries and apostles? how should i be using them

Missionaries can convert cities and have debates-to-the-death with enemy missionaries. Apostles can do all that plus modify your religion by adding up to two beliefs.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Diplomacy in Civ 6 feels less like the complicated relations of real world powers, and more like your neighbors complaining about the state of your lawn and the guy with the loud motorcycle your daughter is dating, or commenting you about your Halloween decorations.

Which might very well be intentional now that I think about it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think almost all the gameplay changes from civ 5 are for the better, or at least will be after a few balance tweaks (reduce the cost of everything holy poo poo) but I really miss the world congress and ideologies. World Congress gave you a reason to care what civs on the other side of the world were up to, and ideologies gave the AI a reason to like you, ever, instead of perpetually hating you like it seems to default to.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Madcosby posted:

Apostles are missionaries that are good at religious combat and often get some sort of promotion bonus as well to make their conversions or combat stronger. Apostles can be used to convert just like missionaries but they can also be used to eliminate your opposing religion's units via religious combat which behaves the same as military combat. Note that if your apostles become wounded in religious combat, parking them on your holy site will heal them (I believe the more faith that comes out of the holy site the more heal they get).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Madcosby posted:

Missionaries: convert cities, can only defend in religious combat.

Apostles: convert cities a bit harder, can initiate religious combat, can "evangelicise" to add beliefs to a religion, can call for an inquisition on a city fallen to an outside belief, allowing you to build inquisitors

Inquisitors: Stronger than Missionaries, weaker than Apostles, can initiate religious combat, can eliminate enemy religions from your cities. CANNOT spread religion (outside of a side effect of religious combat).

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 25, 2016

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Missionaries: convert cities, can only defend in religious combat.

Apostles: convert cities a bit harder, can initiate religious combat, can "evangelicise" to add beliefs to a religion, can call for an inquisition on a city fallen to an outside belief, allowing you to build inquisitors

Inquisitors: Stronger than Missionaries, weaker than Apostles, can initiate religious combat, can eliminate enemy religions from your cities

Yeah this is a good summary

Of note, Inquisitors cannot espouse your religion by converting other cities they can only eliminate religions other than yours. And there's an Apostle promotion that does this while ALSO promoting your religion (Proselytizer).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I think almost all the gameplay changes from civ 5 are for the better, or at least will be after a few balance tweaks (reduce the cost of everything holy poo poo) but I really miss the world congress and ideologies. World Congress gave you a reason to care what civs on the other side of the world were up to, and ideologies gave the AI a reason to like you, ever, instead of perpetually hating you like it seems to default to.

I'd say the gameplay changes were mostly for the better, but the UI changes were mostly for the worst. :psyduck:

Also, Firaxis specifically said they left the world congress out at launch because they wanted to watch the meta develop.

No Safe Word posted:

Yeah this is a good summary

Of note, Inquisitors cannot espouse your religion by converting other cities they can only eliminate religions other than yours. And there's an Apostle promotion that does this while ALSO promoting your religion (Proselytizer).

Edited for accuracy. Also, holy poo poo it's hard to say which is better: Proselytizer or one of the +spread uses if you want to spread your religion. I got my dudes up to 4 spread religion uses (mosque + Hagia Sopphia naturally). I could get SEVEN spreads with Pilgrim (+3 spreads if it walks past a natural wonder).

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 25, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh hey, I guess you can't wage a liberation war for a city state.

sooooo I'm just going to eat a hit for liberating zanzibar, thanks game

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Enemy civs are very vulnerable to the warrior + 3 slingers -> archers rush. Playing on King I was able to hold five cities by turn 80: one starting city, two enemy capitals, and two captured Settlers. I have a moderate warmonger penalty since I dipped into Classical while doing this, but that'll wear off soon.

I think Firaxis will need to reduce the cost of building Ancient Walls.

The Great Library is almost entirely worthless. The civic policy for it comes so late that you should have all your Ancient techs researched and most of your Classical techs -- and then you take in account the build time on it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The Great Library has writing slots, which are kind of rare give the rate you generate great writers. That's the main use of it: a late game cheapo wonder for extra writing slots. Then again, it may not be worth the tile space.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Brannock posted:

The Great Library is almost entirely worthless. The civic policy for it comes so late that you should have all your Ancient techs researched and most of your Classical techs -- and then you take in account the build time on it.

I'm going to, with no real basis, chalk that one up to the devs saying "gently caress off, designated optimal build orders."

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Alkydere posted:

I'd say the gameplay changes were mostly for the better, but the UI changes were mostly for the worst. :psyduck:

Also, Firaxis specifically said they left the world congress out at launch because they wanted to watch the meta develop.

Edited for accuracy. Also, holy poo poo it's hard to say which is better: Proselytizer or one of the +spread uses if you want to spread your religion. I got my dudes up to 4 spread religion uses (mosque + Hagia Sopphia naturally). I could get SEVEN spreads with Pilgrim (+3 spreads if it walks past a natural wonder).

You mix and match and send your Proselytizers to the Holy Cities for maximum ownage, IMO. Or you do a wave of proselytizers hitting the key pressure cities followed by a wave of +spread guys to clean up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Brannock posted:

Enemy civs are very vulnerable to the warrior + 3 slingers -> archers rush. Playing on King I was able to hold five cities by turn 80: one starting city, two enemy capitals, and two captured Settlers.
Works fine on higher difficulties, too, even when you get bumrushed by enemy Warriors. They don't know how to position right, and if they don't use some extra hardy unique replacement, you will stomp them because of it. You'll probably never get the early great generals to help (like all Civ games, fighting for wonders is a losing proposition with the AI until later on, and GPs are now basically a wonder), but you don't need them.