Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Watch Polygon's Arthur Gies play Titanfall 2 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQCGVtk11EA

He's bad.

The cloak criticism really stands out to me because: cloak isn't very effective against non-titan opponents, you have killcams so that you know exactly where the sniper is standing, you have more mobility and speed than in most FPSes, and 2/3rds of the Sniper Rifles have travel time.

The thing that both FrothyOmen and GameSager (two higher tier TF players) said was bad was Amped Wall with the DRM, it's a 2-shot hitscan kill and it can be tough. But this means that the sniper is locked down in front of a big orange wall which is both a visual indicator and a serious disadvantage.

So look at the ham-handed play above and realize that the dude plays the game like Call of Duty with other scrubs. He's not qualified to talk about poo poo.

that makes sense. it was also probaly geis playing the DOOM gameplay in the infamous tape.

ninjahedgehog posted:

My favorite Polygon article is the one where the author stopped playing Shadow of Mordor literally five minutes in to fart out a 1,500-word hot take about how the "kiss wife" quicktime event was bound to the same key as the stealth kill.
sad thing is thats not even the stupid article i have seen about the game. http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/1/6881161/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-torture-terrorism http://agameofme.tumblr.com/post/99354897597/kings-of-pain-on-gender-and-power-in-shadow-of

thats not even showing the metric ton of articles from polygon bitching about the witcher 3.

Mordja posted:

im beginning to think Polygon is bad and should mostly be ignored...

E: but the best was when they gave a Tropico game a bad score because the reviewer didn't like that playing as a Banana Republic dictator made him feel bad

they are the wannabe "culture critic" site that is the dumbing grounds for the "intellectual" hacks who cant cut it anywhere else. most other "culture" sites like vice and killscreen at least right some pretty interesting stuff most of the time. polygon and the verge can't even do that.

but yeah, polygon and their like should be ignored because they are utter poo poo.

I am glad Titanfall is good and can't wait to pick it up at somepoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Do you think bad players are drawn to reviewing games or does reviewing games make you somehow terrible at them

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Lemming posted:

Do you think bad players are drawn to reviewing games or does reviewing games make you somehow terrible at them

Well, it's the problem of working 2 jobs: you have to be a good writer, and good at video games. A rare mix of skills.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Well, it's the problem of working 2 jobs: you have to be a good writer, and good at video games. A rare mix of skills.

This. Also being good at multiple genres is even rarer, and reviewers can often end up in a genre that they aren't necessarily talent at or inclined to.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

well most of them are neither. I think its alot of them get tired of being glorified salesmen/fanboys/girls (which is what they are) and want to pretend their various degrees mean something, so they pretend to be muckrakers and uber politically/socially conscious. I dont blame them for wanting, but at the same time, arbitrarily knocking numbers off review scores because they are oversenstive jack asses or are just terrible at the game is kinda sad. if you want to be a moral guardian/culture critic, join some site like vice or other places like that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

One thing I really wish that outlets would consider is having 4 writers with different perspectives (i.e. a 20-something super hardcore, a tryhard gamerdad, a casual teen, etc) each write a couple of paragraphs on the multiplayer side of the game. So that way could get a nice cross-section of who the game appeals to and the hardcore people could call bullshit on the fallacies of the more casual players.

Sadly with the way these are reviewed now (flying people out to the junkets so there's no chance of pirating/source code leaks) makes this unmanageable.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

arbitrarily knocking numbers off review scores because they are oversenstive jack asses or are just terrible at the game is kinda sad

Disagree with the first part, agree with the second.

The real issue is that Polygon occasionally gets up their own rear end about being the site that was going to show that ~games have meaning~. They are insecure as hell about vidya games being taken seriously and it shows.

Most of the industry is enthusiast press at this point, I would rather get the straight scoop from you guys frankly.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 24, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I'm good at my job and I'm good at video games. Unless you're saying the only people who are good at video games are unemployed

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Lemming posted:

I'm good at my job and I'm good at video games. Unless you're saying the only people who are good at video games are unemployed

No he's saying that the subset of good at writing and good at videogames is small.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ein Sexmonster posted:

No he's saying that the subset of good at writing and good at videogames is small.

Lol, so what would that have to do with video game reviewers

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

When I say "good at videogames" I mean "plays all the FPSs, is in the top 5% of skill at them" so that you could, for instance, go to a press junket, play a game for a couple of hours, and formulate effective strategies/counters based on the map and gameplay elements.

There's simply not enough time to do that across a bunch of genres, or write a bunch, etc. and still have an outside life. Not gonna happen. So what you get is Arthur "what's wallrunning?" Gies who stiffly jogs around the map getting killed while whining about sniper campers.

Edit: As much as I dislike him, Gies is a perfect good writer and gets across his ideas effectively.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Lemming posted:

Lol, so what would that have to do with video game reviewers
Ok. 'Able to write coherently'.
Point still stands though.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Lemming posted:

You're actually bad at both heroes of the storm player. This has been definitively proven in our discord on several occasions.

Also not reading the polygon article (don't want to give them the clicks) but did they mention somewhere there not being enough bisexual PoC pilots or something? I mean robot-kin are in the game you think that would appease the tumblr-meets-videogames website.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Disagree with the first part, agree with the second.

The real issue is that Polygon occasionally gets up their own rear end about being the site that was going to show that ~games have meaning~. They are insecure as hell about vidya games being taken seriously and it shows.

Most of the industry is enthusiast press at this point, I would rather get the straight scoop from you guys frankly.

well i think alot of the "games have meaning and are art" poo poo came from that one statement ebert wrote. they panicked now everything has to have meaning or be high art or its worthless. but yeah, i think alot of these guys and girls feel the need to prove their hobby means something deep and meaningful(its why they all love terrible poo poo like everyones gone to rapture or sunset) rather then good entertainment with some decent artist ideas/games mixed in.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

You're actually bad at both heroes of the storm player. This has been definitively proven in our discord on several occasions.

I see

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
High level TF1 and now TF2 player Frothy Omen who has been given a ton of access to TF2 is doing an AMA:

https://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/594u3e/hi_rtitanfall_i_am_frothyomen_ama/

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

poo poo, they removed Scorch's ability to burn rodeoing pilots off his back with his fire shield.

I really liked that he was the only Titan you couldn't effectively rodeo and thought it was nice differentiation. Bummer.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ninjahedgehog posted:

My favorite Polygon article is the one where the author stopped playing Shadow of Mordor literally five minutes in to fart out a 1,500-word hot take about how the "kiss wife" quicktime event was bound to the same key as the stealth kill.

FUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK THISSSSSSSSSSSSSS

One thing I really wish that outlets would consider is having 4 writers with different perspectives (i.e. a 20-something super hardcore, a tryhard gamerdad, a casual teen, etc) each write a couple of paragraphs on the multiplayer side of the game. So that way could get a nice cross-section of who the game appeals to and the hardcore people could call bullshit on the fallacies of the more casual players.

Sadly with the way these are reviewed now (flying people out to the junkets so there's no chance of pirating/source code leaks) makes this unmanageable.

EGM did this in their print version for more than a decade. It was awesome.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Well I don't want to condemn Polygon as an outlet, they did hire the McElroy bros, but they also hired a guy who admitted to being a lousy father who used video games to babysit his kids and doesn't monitor what they do. And I'm not being uncharitable - that's what he said.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/12/7532863/video-games-parenting-no-bullshit

what's worse: that this guy wrote it, or that I knew who the author was before clicking? :negative:

poo poo, they removed Scorch's ability to burn rodeoing pilots off his back with his fire shield.

I really liked that he was the only Titan you couldn't effectively rodeo and thought it was nice differentiation. Bummer.

I can sort of see why, since TF1 you took the electric smoke or nothing. On the other hand, having to think about which titan to take based on how likely you are to get rodeoed (e.g. a fairly tight map with lots of close quarters is rodeo heaven) would've been neat. I dunno, we'll see?

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 24, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pretty good marks. Looking forward to SP

Game Informer - 95

Games Radar - 90

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I, for one, am deeply excited for this VIDEO GAME to be released on Friday, October 28 2016 at 12:00:01 am Eastern Standard Time, God's One, True Time Zone.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well, keep in mind under the old system you could still rodeo Scorch if he was in a fight with another Titan since he wasn't go to squat down and try to roast a bitch if he was being shot at.

There's that new perk that gives you two uses of Electric Smoke at the expense of a Dash...woof. Hard choices.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

High level TF1 and now TF2 player Frothy Omen who has been given a ton of access to TF2 is doing an AMA:

https://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/594u3e/hi_rtitanfall_i_am_frothyomen_ama/

Asked that guy if you could still manually eject and he says you can, end-of-round fireworks live on :woop: :supaburn:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

el B posted:

I, for one, am deeply excited for this VIDEO GAME to be released on Friday, October 28 2016 at 12:00:01 am Eastern Standard Time, God's One, True Time Zone.

In regards to timezones: we are enemies.

In regards to VIDEO GAMES: we are good friends.

I am not sure where we stand now.

Antoine Silvere posted:

Asked that guy if you could still manually eject and he says you can, end-of-round fireworks live on :woop: :supaburn:

o7 o7 o7 o7 o7

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
In the Queens own timezone the game is released at 11pm on Thursday night :britain:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Well, keep in mind under the old system you could still rodeo Scorch if he was in a fight with another Titan since he wasn't go to squat down and try to roast a bitch if he was being shot at.

There's that new perk that gives you two uses of Electric Smoke at the expense of a Dash...woof. Hard choices.
Gonna take choice C: none of these cause nuclear ejection is in the same slot

Never not nuclear eject

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Since someone did this for the first one, here's a Google form for people to fill out with their username and platform of choice so you can all add each other and play:

https://goo.gl/forms/uXYwqAVTU6Zbq97e2

Here are the responses:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kqYB8im5i_YbuJiuEe1bJ01oXZEucD_SXxNyi2woKZk/edit#gid=391971060

Antoine Silvere fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 24, 2016

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

On the other hand I can VPN to Glorious Nippon and play at 12 PM on Thursday :japan:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Antoine Silvere posted:

Since someone did this for the first one, here's a Google form for people to fill out with their username and platform of choice so you can all add each other and play:

You might want to change the way the permissions work if you don't want people to see your real name Mr. A

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Lemming posted:

You might want to change the way the permissions work if you don't want people to see your real name Mr. A

Lol woops, thanks for the heads up

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

did they find it "problematic" or some pretentious horse poo poo like that.

Yep. The gal kept going on about sexualized characters and dick jokes while barely touching the gameplay, like some kind of bad stereotype of what redditors would think a woman game journalist would be like.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Pretty good marks. Looking forward to SP

Game Informer - 95

Games Radar - 90

Seems like EA is going for variety with medium/short length with campaigns of late. I surprisingly liked the battlefield 1 campaign(plus operations is amazing).

bloodysabbath posted:

Yep. The gal kept going on about sexualized characters and dick jokes while barely touching the gameplay, like some kind of bad stereotype of what redditors would think a woman game journalist would be like.

Why. the game is crude low brow humor with sprinkles of clever humor and some references stuff. what the gently caress did she expect. Not some art project about the women liberation in absolutist France(which i would play if it were interesting and engaging) i feel like these people basicaly just want their politics/ideals in a game and thats it , who cares if the game is interactive or interesting, not even to mention fun.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

You guys are sure teaching minorities a lesson about how they should feel about their representation in games by ranting about two year old articles that dare to suggest that there are issues with minority representation in games that have nothing to do with Titanfall 2. This topic can be a safe space from all that, if you let it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Seems like EA is going for variety with medium/short length with campaigns of late. I surprisingly liked the battlefield 1 campaign(plus operations is amazing).

Yeah, I'll play on hard first time through and I imagine that'll add a few hours. It's exciting that the SP is getting such high marks from reviewers.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, I'll play on hard first time through and I imagine that'll add a few hours. It's exciting that the SP is getting such high marks from reviewers.

I think you mean troubling.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hackan Slash posted:

I assure you I do not.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Hackan Slash posted:

:confused:

'hmm a lot of people are saying this thing is really good....this worries me'

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Antoine Silvere posted:

:confused:

'hmm a lot of people are saying this thing is really good....this worries me'

I guess Slash is concerned that EA might be paying the reviewers off? I dunno. :shrug:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Gamesradar review doesn't seem like a payoff, the language seems like genuine enthusiasm.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I weep for anyone who at this point can't tell if a game will be good or not from watching only five seconds of gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Jeff Gerstmann mentioned that he liked it a lot in a stream today, couldn't stop thinking about it in fact, and he's a straight shooter.