Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

attackmole posted:

The Warriors literally added one player. This isn't about them going out and spending a billion dollars buying out the league talent. They literally just hit the lottery at the right time with Durant becoming a free agent right when the cap jumped. I can see why you have issues with it, hell I'm on the side that it's a bitchmade move, but saying that the NBA should do something about it is a mix of laughable and impossible. It wasn't an unfair trade and GS did nothing sketchy. As long as there exist single players in basketball that affect the game in such dramatic ways (your durants, lebrons, currys, etc.) poo poo like this is gonna happen once in a while.

an mvp in his prime joining a historically good team has almost certainly never happened in any major american sport? i can't think of anything in basketball or football but maybe im wrong. i dont know what the nba could do to prevent it but it seems less routine than you are making it out to be

i mean the reason its never happened before is probably just cause no one that good at something is usually that loving bitchmade that their only hope at winning is gutting their oppositions main rivals and joining them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ghost Dog posted:

an mvp in his prime joining a historically good team has almost certainly never happened in any major american sport? i can't think of anything in basketball or football but maybe im wrong. i dont know what the nba could do to prevent it but it seems less routine than you are making it out to be

i mean the reason its never happened before is probably just cause no one that good at something is usually that loving bitchmade that their only hope at winning is gutting their oppositions main rivals and joining them

Do you know how the Mongols became a horde? Every tribe they conquered got the choice to join in or be annhilated to the last man. So they go from some guys in the loving rear end in a top hat of mongolia to conquerors of the entire world. The most enthusiastic slaughterers at the battle of Baghdad were Georgian Christian troops who'd been conscripted after their kingdom was defeated.

Is it bad for the NBA as a TV show? Maybe, maybe not. But it happened and it's time to watch the killing begin

chunkles posted:

when I go to Krispy Kreme I like to start off by givin my pancreas a little suplex, maybe a flying elbow. you know, put em in their place

Love that hot wet insulin squirt

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 25, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ghost Dog posted:

The only reason it hasn't happened is I don't think there has ever been a huge salary cap increase at the same time a star was a free agent.

At least while the salary cap was a thing.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Well yeah, that and the crazy salary cap spike. I'm not trying to make it out to be routine, I'm just saying that saying that as long as one player can change a team super significantly (which is a thing more in the NBA than other sports for sure), stuff like this has the potential to happen. This year was just the perfect storm that enabled it because the cap spike let good teams that normally are capped out sign a near-max player without blowing up the roster.

I mean it's not a very strong opinion on my part because I'm just kinda throwing my hands up and saying "whelp, It's lame but what can you do". The situation is so unusual that any attempt to try to use it as a justification of some new parity enforcing rules seems like an ignorant move to me.

Any ways I fully endorse making fun of Durant and the Warriors.

e: beaten on the cap stuff.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Dejan Bimble posted:

Do you know how the Mongols became a horde? Every tribe they conquered got the choice to join in or be annhilated to the last man. So they go from some guys in the loving rear end in a top hat of mongolia to conquerors of the entire world. The most enthusiastic slaughterers at the battle of Baghdad were Georgian Christian troops who'd been conscripted after their kingdom was defeated.

Is it bad for the NBA as a TV show? Maybe, maybe not. But it happened and it's time to watch the killing begin

really digging this analogy

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Superteams are definitely moneymakers for the NBA. Not only does the superteam get tons of eyeballs and get to jack up the ticket prices, but all the non-super teams get at least one home game where they can also mark up everything. Obviously the Warriors' chasing of records last season hugely expanded the regular season TV viewership since now regulat season games "mattered" for casual watchers who don't normally watch until the playoffs.

I think superteams make the actual on-court basketball less interesting and less fun but that's obviously a secondary concern to the money for the owners.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

durant joining the warriors doesnt make then any more of a superteam it just made their competition worse. imagine being a player as good as durant and your major contribution to the team you are on is that you arent on another team jfc

e: just to be clear i dont think the nba should do anything im just lobbing lukewarm takes at the wall about kevin durant being A Bitch

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 25, 2016

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Ghost Dog posted:

Deion Sanders signing for the Cowboys as the reigning defensive player of the year in 1995 is probably the closest I can think of off the top of my head. But even a historically great cornerback in the NFL just isn't as crucial as an MVP caliber player in the NBA so....

Also since Sanders left a 49ers team that beat Dallas in the 1994 NFC title game that's closer to say Klay Thompson leaving the Warriors this summer to join Durant and Westbrook in OKC. Which would have been hilarious and awesome.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 25, 2016

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Boys, the NBA starts tomorrow

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the closest analogy is when the Bulls went out and got Jud Buechler

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Partly. What built them up before that was the Khan would confront a rival tribal headman with an offer of marriage to one of his daughters as an alternative to an rear end-kicking. While it looked like win/win, the daughter would become the defacto ruler of the rival tribe, while the headman went off to war with the Horde. Rinse, repeat. This probably works better as an analogy to The Process, idk.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

attackmole posted:

this thread is really good when it gets onto the 13th century and how it relates to the put ball in hoop game

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

Partly. What built them up before that was the Khan would confront a rival tribal headman with an offer of marriage to one of his daughters as an alternative to an rear end-kicking. While it looked like win/win, the daughter would become the defacto ruler of the rival tribe, while the headman went off to war with the Horde. Rinse, repeat. This probably works better as an analogy to The Process, idk.

The Process is more like the Habsburgs dominating Europe except their rulers were hampered by inbreeding so profound that they couldn't manage to successfully chew food.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

EMC posted:

Why watch, I heard it's already over

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Process is more like the Habsburgs dominating Europe except their rulers were hampered by inbreeding so profound that they couldn't manage to successfully chew food.

Sounds like the Habsburg inbreeding analogy works better for the Bulls' management.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Ghost Dog posted:

is this a joke about not remembering who Lebron James is

or is this yet another subtle jab at Derrick Rose

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

Sounds like the Habsburg inbreeding analogy works better for the Bulls' management.

The Bulls management is clearly Turkmenbashi-era Turkmenistan.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/790741955806322688

How???

E: here's a SAS discord if anyone is interested https://discordapp.com/invite/xW87dMj

Metapod fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 25, 2016

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Ghost Dog posted:

how about clyde drexler moving to houston, and then winning the championship in '95?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Thread recommendation:

Dan Carlin's podcasts aren't perfect, but his series on the Mongols is pretty drat good.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Dejan Bimble posted:

kevin durant: nba janissary

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

attackmole posted:

Yeah it's very solid.

So does this mean the Warriors will win until the children of Curry, Klay and Durant go to other franchises?

Rick fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 25, 2016

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

draymond green after listening to an episode of dan carlin's hardcore history:

"look, when the ottomans conscripted young christian boys from the balkans to fight their wars, people in anatolia didn't get all pissed off, it's just what they did. this is how religious wars work. you can't get the caliphate to stretch as far as the setting sun unless you want it man. kevin is a selfless guy who just wants to win like us. i don't see why the nba has to function with a different set of rules."

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 25, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Get rid of the Max salary and all these problems go away. But mostly:

dokmo posted:

Jesus loving Christ

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

straight up brolic posted:

"look, when the ottomans conscripted young christian boys from the balkans to fight their wars, people in anatolia didn't get all pissed off, it's just what they did. this is how religious wars work. you can't get the caliphate to stretch as far as the setting sun unless you want it man. kevin is a selfless guy who just wants to win like us. i don't see why the nba has to function with a different set of rules."

lmao, I'm loving this.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

straight up brolic posted:

Draymond gonna be the fly in the ointment for this team.

(Nice Hardcore History reference)

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

It's not crazy for teams to go into the season with a 14 man roster so they can have more trade flexibility

They are the only team in the league doing it. Dinwiddie (the guy they just waived) was on a non-guaranteed deal anyway so they could have waived him at any time to facilitate a trade. Heck, having a non-guaranteed deal on the books likely increases your trade flexibility. They even have their own D-League team now to send a player or two down to.

This isn't new to the Bulls though. A couple years ago they were so desperate to avoid the luxury tax that they kept 12 guys on the roster which is below the league minimum. They would sign a 10-day contract to get up to 13, waive the player, wait the 2 week (I believe) grace period before the league makes you pick up a 13th player, and do it all over again. Mind you this was a year the Bulls made the playoffs and had a ton of injuries so the extra couple roster slots would have been beneficial.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

MCW makes Dinwiddie entirely redundant, but yes they probably should have used that extra spot on somebody

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kibner posted:

Then I don't know why you have ever bothered with the NBA (or basketball, in general) to begin with.

Parity is tough in basketball but I don't think he's asking for everyone to be a .500 team. Just that having 4 of the top 15 players in a 30 team league on the same team is ridiculously lopsided. Especially when the last two MVPs are on it.

I mean the Finals will probably be fun but everything else is kind of pointless.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Ghost Dog posted:

It's happened before.

Clemens joining the Yankees when they had already won 3 in 4 years, and then Giambi joining soon after. Both Hull and Hasek joining the Red Wings when they were in the middle of their run and were forming a super team. Malone joining the Shaq/Kobe Lakers.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

Get rid of the Max salary and all these problems go away.

That's the solution right there. And the fairest because stars are vastly underpaid in this league at the expense of role players.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Huh I don't know a lick about history, but seems clear to my eyes that Durant's bitchwater

EMC posted:

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Spring Break My Heart posted:

It's happened before.

Clemens joining the Yankees when they had already won 3 in 4 years, and then Giambi joining soon after. Both Hull and Hasek joining the Red Wings when they were in the middle of their run and were forming a super team. Malone joining the Shaq/Kobe Lakers.

lol 40 year old malone that played 20 games for the lakers that season

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
It's more than just Durant happening to hit free agency right as the cap spiked, it's also that the Warriors have the two-time reigning MVP and best shooter in the history of the game on an absurdly cheap contract.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Here's my baseless power rankings that are dumb to even make due to not watching many preseason games this season (although that is the NBA's fault):

1. Warriors
2. Cavs
3. Spurs
4. Clippers
5. Raptors
6. Celtics
7. Rockets
8. Blazers
9. Pacers
10. Grizzlies
11. Mavericks
12. Hawks
13. Jazz
14. Pistons
15. Thunder
16. Knicks
____________Irrelevantly Mediocre___________________
28. Sixers
29. Lakers
30. Nets

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
being too kind to the knicks imo

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think that this is when they will probably be most relevant this season, before they play basketball.

I hope I"m wrong though, the Knicks are cool with me.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The blazers over achieved I just don't see them doing as well

Smellyhead
Jun 20, 2003
Cabbages smell funny too.

Dejan Bimble posted:

So which one of the Warriors is Negan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
This is an endorsement of the ketogenic diet imho

"They were terrible to look at and indescribable, with large heads like a Buffalo, narrow eyes like a baby bird, a snub nose like a cat, big snouts like a dog, narrow waists like an ant, and short legs like a hog. They are as strong as lions but as shrill-voiced as hawks....They bear huge litters like snakes and eat like wolves. Death does not appear among them, for they live 300 years. They do not eat bread at all."

If you guys haven't read the primary sources about the mongols, you should. There are great stories about men who have one arm and one leg, no head, a face on their torso, who fight by rolling at their enemy. There are dog men covered in fur who get in freezing water which turns to solid ice and acts like armor all over their bodies, it's great stuff

quote:

Detroit has claimed Miami guard Beno Udrih off waivers, league sources tell The Vertical. Pistons get backup PG.

— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) October 24, 2016
This is loving great. Beno + Ish Smith is so much better than Ish Smith plus Ray McCallum or Lorenzo Brown. They'll be able to play fast and get to the rim. Hopefully Reggie Jackson's knees arent ruined completely, thanks for firing the best trainer in the NBA, Arnie Kander, Stan. You reap what you sow you turtleneck wearing gently caress

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 25, 2016

• Locked thread