Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

s.i.r.e. posted:

I feel you. I'm just curious why he still gets that inlay, I guess it's so signature now he probably can't. But drat, just having something simple like "Vai" at the 12th fret and be done with it. Oh well.

He's had other designs over time. THe disappearing pyramids on the Universe are actually cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

For reference, my guitars are usually set up tuned ½-step down to E-flat, and I play DR JH-10 Tite-Fit strings, gauges are .010, .014, .018, .032, .044, and .056.

Sorry for the real talk, but do you know offhand any other stock sets with these gauges, or at least the 10-14-18 part?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

TheChaosPath posted:

Sorry for the real talk, but do you know offhand any other stock sets with these gauges, or at least the 10-14-18 part?
Not yet. I've got to look into it because I am almost out of string sets.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

muike posted:

He's had other designs over time. THe disappearing pyramids on the Universe are actually cool.

Now that's cool as gently caress.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Huh, I've never seen a 10-56 for 6 strings before. I might try that out since I've been using 10-52 for drop C# for a while.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I find the floral inlays really tacky and ugly, and think that the JEM has a design that makes the owner look like a dickhead. That doesn't mean I don't think it's a great and iconic guitar with lots of personality. Just embrace the tackiness. You own a guitar with the pattern of Steve Vai's mother's kitchen curtains and a loving carrying handle. I'd love a good JEM, and I'd play the gently caress out of it, but part of the charm is just how "ugly" it is.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

kjetting posted:

I find the floral inlays really tacky and ugly, and think that the JEM has a design that makes the owner look like a dickhead. That doesn't mean I don't think it's a great and iconic guitar with lots of personality. Just embrace the tackiness. You own a guitar with the pattern of Steve Vai's mother's kitchen curtains and a loving carrying handle. I'd love a good JEM, and I'd play the gently caress out of it, but part of the charm is just how "ugly" it is.
This post makes you look like a dickhead.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 24, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

This post makes you look like a dickhead.

you can't deny it's totally emblematic of a specific period and aesthetic though, same as a rhoads v or even a godawful schecter

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Steve Vai is kind of a dork and therefore so is his signature guitar, HTH

thread gettin' back to its roots

don't get me wrong I still GAS for one occasionally, I just also think they're just dorky lookin'

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Hey guys stop Steve Vai is not a dor...

Ok yeah nevermind.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

you can't deny it's totally emblematic of a specific period and aesthetic though, same as a rhoads v or even a godawful schecter
I'm not denying anything. There's just no need to call people dickheads for the guitar they like. That's a dickhead move. I didn't call Schecter players names.

And if you guys are gonna call Vai names you can add all the other guitarists out there who attempt some sort of showmanship as well.

(((nice meltdown, Faust)))

Seriously, though. It's just Stupid Music poo poo.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
dude this website was built on the foundations of call each other motherfuckers or worse chill the gently caress out

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
nice meltdown

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm not denying anything. There's just no need to call people dickheads for the guitar they like. That's a dickhead move. I didn't call Schecter players names.

And if you guys are gonna call Vai names you can add all the other guitarists out there who attempt some sort of showmanship as well.

(((nice meltdown, Faust)))

Seriously, though. It's just Stupid Music poo poo.

This thread was started in December 2013 and has gone through many bizarre iterations: post ugly guitars, make fun of faustus and vai, WDE's custom guitars and the GBS-caster, making fun of tonewood/tone accessories, general guitar megathread chat, that gif of the guy with the crazy bass face, make fun of faustus again.

As it was so shall it always be

sout fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 24, 2016

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Seriously, it's just Stupid Music poo poo. No need to overthink it.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I don't even think Gems look that bad. There is probably 100+ worse looking /dumber guitars in this thread.

They play pretty nice. Imo the biggest knock on them is that they don't make a hardtail version, at least I've never seen a hardtail one. Locking trems are cancer. They are also a bit on the expensive side.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dirt posted:

I don't even think Gems look that bad. There is probably 100+ worse looking /dumber guitars in this thread.

They play pretty nice. Imo the biggest knock on them is that they don't make a hardtail version, at least I've never seen a hardtail one. Locking trems are cancer. They are also a bit on the expensive side.
I am so sick of locking trem systems. I'm going hard-tail from here on out unless I find an affordable white JEM.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

The gibson/lyre vibrola is the only trem worth using. You can literally beat on it as much and as hard as you can and nothing every goes out of tune. No locks. No bullshit.

Other than that hardtail is the way to go.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Dirt posted:

Locking trems are cancer.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
A hardtail JEM would be kick rear end, but then it wouldn't look as douchey and I'd lose interest.

Don't be a sourpuss, Faustus buddy. I said I'd love to own a JEM and would play the gently caress out of it (after screwing a woodblock to the locking tuners) if I did. But I love it for what it is. Trying to argue that it is good looking in any traditional meaning of the word is like arguing that Kurt Cobain was a world class talented guitar player (something some people actually willl do). Sure, I love me some Nirvana, I own all their albums and if I got my hands on a time travel rig attending a Nirvana Concert between Bleach and Nevermind would have been a top priority. But saying that he was a very talented guitarist is just wrong. Same thing with JEM. It looks really cool because it's so weird and it's almost impossible to not look douchey while playing it. Parker Fly players are used to looking douchey, when they see a JEM player they say: hey, who' that rear end in a top hat?

It's an Ibanez RG superstrat with neon colors, floral inlays, a handle and locking tuners. It look weird. I like weird. I'd much rather have a guitar that makes me look like a dick than a sunburst PRS that makes me look like a bluesdad.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

kjetting posted:

A hardtail JEM would be kick rear end, but then it wouldn't look as douchey and I'd lose interest.

Don't be a sourpuss, Faustus buddy. I said I'd love to own a JEM and would play the gently caress out of it (after screwing a woodblock to the locking tuners) if I did. But I love it for what it is. Trying to argue that it is good looking in any traditional meaning of the word is like arguing that Kurt Cobain was a world class talented guitar player (something some people actually willl do). Sure, I love me some Nirvana, I own all their albums and if I got my hands on a time travel rig attending a Nirvana Concert between Bleach and Nevermind would have been a top priority. But saying that he was a very talented guitarist is just wrong. Same thing with JEM. It looks really cool because it's so weird and it's almost impossible to not look douchey while playing it. Parker Fly players are used to looking douchey, when they see a JEM player they say: hey, who' that rear end in a top hat?

It's an Ibanez RG superstrat with neon colors, floral inlays, a handle and locking tuners. It look weird. I like weird. I'd much rather have a guitar that makes me look like a dick than a sunburst PRS that makes me look like a bluesdad.
Sorry, I don't mean to be all salty; but I just disagree with your basic premise. I don't think you're putting that line of guitars in the perspective of their origin.

Cobain wasn't a great guitarist, no; but he was one hell of an amazing song-writer. Your Parker players thing is just something you made up. The very notion that an old-school or new JEM is somehow "douchey" is just your own bias and I think it ignores the history of solid-body electric guitars in the 80s when Ibanez did this amazing thing. I think you are discounting that and making it a pejorative when that's actually hindsight. But, as I said before, you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. It's still Stupid Music poo poo.

Note, I just bought a Fender Telecaster and before that I bought a Talman. I'm changing, too. I just don't throw stones as much as other people do.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I don't begrudge anyone any guitar they play if they like it. I've seen a number of people in the general guitar thread sing the praises of BC Rich Mockingbirds. Whatever floats your boat!

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Mockingbirds own

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Highlights from a facebook guitar group. At least one of these guitars is awesome.

Also I don't know Kramers at all but this guy seems to think he'll get $5000 selling this

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

I feel like Dean has committed at least as many crimes against humanity as B. C. Rich

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Concatenation posted:

Highlights from a facebook guitar group. At least one of these guitars is awesome.

It's this one, right? Or is it the pizza one?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The only one o ut of those I would play is the strandberg and the top is still gross looking.

pizza guitar belongs in a museum

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
not sure if it's because they're not sealing the wood before staining but strandbergs look like someone wiped their rear end on them

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Faustus posted:

It's this one, right? Or is it the pizza one?

after seeing the pizza one i wasn't expecting there to be another winner but good god drat

this thing makes me wanna grow a zz top beard and dress up like a wizard

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
only the finest swedish reindeer poo poo

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Schpyder posted:

sing the praises of BC Rich

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Speaking of stupid music poo poo, my username comes from a high-school friend's mishearing of the chorus from this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSZlfn5FD7s

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
from the PYF weird fanart thread:

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

This is kinda a kind of fan work, isn't it?

https://twitter.com/ajso_1192/status/789224153752580096

I don't actually know if it's fan work of something or not

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Dewgy posted:

from the PYF weird fanart thread:

Drop that bass! Or is that a trout?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GreatGreen posted:

Hey guys stop Steve Vai is not a dor...

Ok yeah nevermind.

What in the holy gently caress is that poo poo?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It's a music concert, where people play dress-up and try to give people their $40 entertainment. You live under a rock or something? Ever seen Kiss or Gwar or whatever you're into?

It's that.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

The hat really makes it

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
All music poo poo is stupid music poo poo.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

I can't think of a counter-example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr. Faustus posted:

It's a music concert, where people play dress-up and try to give people their $40 entertainment. You live under a rock or something? Ever seen Kiss or Gwar or whatever you're into?

It's that.

This would only be acceptable if he was performing in a Bootsie Collins, Daft Punk, Earth Wind and Fire supergroup; poo poo, even then he'd still look like a massive tool. I don't even know what the theme is here but god drat it's awful. Glam bands don't look that bad.

• Locked thread