Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Jastiger posted:

Is.there a fix for leader animation screens not animating? Game runs fine and progresses normally, but the leaders just sit there frozen, dont mom during diplo screen. Is there a setting to change?

There's a graphics setting for animated leaders, which you could have taken 10 seconds to check for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I have 3 separate cities with the museums, and it isn't even an option.

Maybe the patch fixed that!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can Civs actually want you to build cities right next to them as an agenda? :confused:

I started right next to Rome, and they had all the good resources around their capital so I just went "gently caress it" and built a city up close and personal. Trajan was absolutely beaming, commended me on my new city and immediately declared Friendship. It was... not what I was expecting.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.

Your Computer posted:

Can Civs actually want you to build cities right next to them as an agenda? :confused:

I started right next to Rome, and they had all the good resources around their capital so I just went "gently caress it" and built a city up close and personal. Trajan was absolutely beaming, commended me on my new city and immediately declared Friendship. It was... not what I was expecting.

The Agenda system, while much more obvious and upfront than previous Civ games diplomatic structures, often leads to some absolutely baffling interactions. My personal favorite was being admonished by the Kongo for not spreading my Religion to them...the turn I founded it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Maybe the patch fixed that!

You know, it can't hurt to reload and then patch.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Your Computer posted:

I don't think that's an agenda but Trajan loves civs with large empires and will invade civs with small empires. Your forward settle apparently was enough to qualify you as a big dog

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
The patch is just deluxe edition owners getting the 25th anniversary sountrack apparently.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The Montezuma nerf is so very inevitable. You could remove the District fast tracking entirely and he'd merely become "very good".

I hope they just do that and replace it with something else. It's the standout problem with his kit.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Started a coop game as Gorgo. The snowball is real. My starting location is production heaven too, which helps. And now that I know enough to plan my IZs in advance I'm going to have a disgusting industrial heartland.

I think my go to early game strat is going to be to pump out military units for the first bunch of turns. My opening for Gorgo was slinger, slinger, slinger, worker, settler. I used my army to scout the immediate area for expansion and ganged up on any camps I found. Worked wonders. I spit out like 6 hoplites when I got those which let me pretty much flick Vicky aside when she declared a surprise war and had a large enough army that barbarians weren't anywhere close to a threat.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

when playing Scythia remember that their cavalry double production bonus applies to all units of the Light Cavalry class

yes that means Helicopters in later eras

you can have massive roving bands of Helicopters terrorizing the countryside, a ride of the valkyries for the ages

also of note, once you're able to produce corps/armies directly, the extra one spawned is also a corps/army, so you can have ARMIES of HELICOPTERS produced 2 for 1

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ratios and Tendency posted:

There's a graphics setting for animated leaders, which you could have taken 10 seconds to check for.

Except i never opened that screen and they were animated a few minutes before hand. Why would a setting just stop like that?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
From watching the preview builds I did not expect the UI/interface to be the worst part of the game, like I have never ever played a strategy game where I can't scroll the map by moving my mouse to the top of the screen.

Also every time you return to the menu all your game setup settings reset (and why is the default 'play now' on a small instead of a standard map?)

I guess I should be glad the core gameplay is decent. Not sure if I like the changes to great people though, I hope they get rebalanced. Distinguishing them is cool in theory but even when the great people are unique it's much more disappointing when a Civ V engineer = free wonder and a Civ VI engineer = free walls :negative:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Considering you need walls to shoot people and he can do it in two cities it's not exactly the worst

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

(and why is the default 'play now' on a small instead of a standard map?)

Because Standard is really large in this game. On even "Small" I had enough space to expand to six cities without conquering or forward settling anyone.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Ugh, spaceship parts take a dozen turns to build, and you need a spaceport for each city. Ok, game's over, time to start anew.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

Ugh, spaceship parts take a dozen turns to build, and you need a spaceport for each city. Ok, game's over, time to start anew.

Pfft, by the time your spaceports are done you should have 5 engineers/scientists capable of rushing spaceship parts or increasing spaceship production. :colbert:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I have 3 separate cities with the museums, and it isn't even an option.

I have 1 city with an archaeology (not art) museum and I can't make a single archaeologist, lol.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Super Jay Mann posted:

Pfft, by the time your spaceports are done you should have 5 engineers/scientists capable of rushing spaceship parts or increasing spaceship production. :colbert:

My first game in VI I went for a Science victory (on super easy difficulty) and I only had one city with a spaceport and it took 30 turns to build a single piece. That was a lot of pressing 'Next turn' :negative:

I'm not joking when I say I'm bad at these games.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Brannock posted:

Because Standard is really large in this game. On even "Small" I had enough space to expand to six cities without conquering or forward settling anyone.

Yeah, it's loving huge. On Standard I settled seven cities as Arabia and never shared borders with anyone.

I like it a lot.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
How the FRIG do you upgrade walls? :smith:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

UmbreonMessiah posted:

How the FRIG do you upgrade walls? :smith:

You just build the next one. Ancient walls to medieval walls to renaissance walls or whatever.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

when playing Scythia remember that their cavalry double production bonus applies to all units of the Light Cavalry class

yes that means Helicopters in later eras

you can have massive roving bands of Helicopters terrorizing the countryside, a ride of the valkyries for the ages

also of note, once you're able to produce corps/armies directly, the extra one spawned is also a corps/army, so you can have ARMIES of HELICOPTERS produced 2 for 1

:stare:

Time to start a Scythia game.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Jastiger posted:

Except i never opened that screen and they were animated a few minutes before hand. Why would a setting just stop like that?

I don't know, but I had the same issue. It's easy enough to just change back, but it confused me also.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

UmbreonMessiah posted:

The Agenda system, while much more obvious and upfront than previous Civ games diplomatic structures, often leads to some absolutely baffling interactions. My personal favorite was being admonished by the Kongo for not spreading my Religion to them...the turn I founded it.

Built Stonehenge after meeting Kongo and IMMEDIATELY he pops up and says HEY YOU WHY HAVENT YOU SPREAD YOUR RELIGION HERE. And I just stared at him like ....I have no way to yet? Calm down duder.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So is it just me or is the Available Routes section of the trade routes screen busted

It only ever, at best, shows me potential routes originating from my capital. For all I know there are higher yield options starting elsewhere but no information on routes originating in other cities is given.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Jesus, the AI in this game is bonkers. Gorgo declared war on me for no discernible reason on turn 35 and she has just not given up the thing despite my beating her back. We're just in a hundred years arms race - I build walls, she finally does. Now our archers are poo poo. But she has way more resources than I do so I dunno. It seems a LOT tougher than Civ V and not in a good way, I guess. Combat is not the way I really enjoy playing Civ.

Also, how do you link a combat unit to a trade unit? I am absolutely tired of barbarians plundering my traders.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Captain Oblivious posted:

So is it just me or is the Available Routes section of the trade routes screen busted

It only ever, at best, shows me potential routes originating from my capital. For all I know there are higher yield options starting elsewhere but no information on routes originating in other cities is given.

I believe that screen only shows trade routs available from the cities where you currently have trader units based.

Which doesn't seem like a very good tool for people who want to see what trade routes are available to their civ, but hey what do I know.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, I didn't know cities can revolt still if they don't get amenities after a while. Now I need to go back a few turns so London can get a trader so I can shut them up. Because I certainly don't need three infantry outside of my city when all my units are up north fighting Kongo.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do none of the unique units require strategic resources? If that's the case that's pretty neat

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Rirse posted:

Ugh, I didn't know cities can revolt still if they don't get amenities after a while. Now I need to go back a few turns so London can get a trader so I can shut them up. Because I certainly don't need three infantry outside of my city when all my units are up north fighting Kongo.

It's pretty annoying that there's no easy indicator for this. You'd either have to check each city individually or go into that useless reports screen to be aware that a city is about the revolt.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
It's funny/sad that Total War now has better AI diplomacy than the Civilization series. Warhammer Total War was an actual good example of releasing an outstanding game in a series that is known for horribly broken games on release. Civ VI's release is better than it's predecessors in that it works, but it's still leaves one wanting (specifically wanting the game to have 3+ more months development time).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So despite all of the problems one thing I've been loving is that I simply do not feel stressed out about whether or not I can or can't expand. If there's land I want I can just reach out and take it, never worried about if it will hurt my empire as a whole.

Also, holy poo poo the area buff bonuses are so good if you can get them up and running. Got Japan's electronics factories and suddenly all my cities are getting hugely boosted due to each one being within range of at least one other city's industrial district. And now I'm about to start building power plants too.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The only thing that will hurt your empire re: expansion is if you build districts. Go ahead and build garrison/resource cities for strategical reasons.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, the more space you claim, even if you don't fill it up with production, will still be worth it for the resources. Also you can turn it into national parks later (aka the Manifest Destiny strategy)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Actually not even that. Everything we've been told is a lie and district costs are affected by whichever you're further down: the tech tree or culture tree. The farther you go, the more districts cost.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I won my first game with a science victory with Roosevelt on Prince. City placement is really key, but i was able to basically buy all the city center stuff at will at the end of the game. I had 4 cities for most of the game; meanwhile Rome had upwards of 20 cities. I got into a brief war with an outclassed Spain in midgame, but nothing else despite having an advanced but relatively meager military.

It was fun, but the endgame was a lot of clicking end turn while waiting for spaceship parts to finish.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Figuring out how to boost my economy through smart tile improvements and district placements is pretty much the most fun thing for me. I've played around 20 hours so far and have yet to declare a war.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Just finished my second 'real' game (the middle one was a duel map with Kongo. You can guess how THAT went.) and am really wishing build queues were in, but other than that it's pretty great.

Kinda funny to sometimes have to declare war just to murder a swarm of missionaries though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Russia is so, so good. The early land expansion, the tundra hill mines being huge production, the religious bonuses, and then being able to 1v11 the world as soon as you unlock Cossacks. I'm gonna have a hard time switching to another civ, nothing in 5 felt this good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Multiplayer without Hot seat is hot garbage. The amount of lag and weird stuff that happens with two players attacking each other at once simultaneously blows, and the host in my game had a clear advantage every time.