Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
Just starting up for DLC, not played in ages. Did they fix armour to make it important, or is it still fashionsouls rules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Is the new pvp arena cool or will people still just fight club outside of pontiff?! I have to wait 4 hours to find out :(

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Deified Data posted:

Yoel dies at this point, so if you want to open up Yuria you'll need to do his thing first.

Yeah already did the thing with Yoel. RIP

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

So are we changing the title to EnablePlayerPoise=0.25 now?

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Andrast posted:

Chalice dungeons were actually pretty bad.

Souls games live by their amazing level design and randomization just shits all over that.

They were. Though they are like a roguelike if all the exciting features are removed. Give me permadeath, something else than ritual materials to discover and more variety in enemies and environments and I would play that game/mode.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Titanite shard drops? REALLY?

peep the tumblr
Jun 26, 2009
It rained loving wolves. What the gently caress. Regretting doing this on a SL100 NG+ guy after not playing for so long. :darksouls:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So which assholes in the Catacombs drop the Carthus Curved Sword? The red eyed, milkring-wearing ones?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
(Whenever people say POISE ISNT BROKEN I realize their opinions are bad and they are not worth recognizing.)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
man, ng+ is rough vs those vikings. one hit and my 50 vit guy is at half health. maybe time to level above 125 for ng+ but I don't want to lose pvp access :I

guess ill git gud instead

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bogart posted:

(Whenever people say POISE ISNT BROKEN I realize their opinions are bad and they are not worth recognizing.)

It's not as good as DS2 poise but it's better than DS1's stupidly overpowered system.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

HaB posted:

So which assholes in the Catacombs drop the Carthus Curved Sword? The red eyed, milkring-wearing ones?

The ones with the shields. There's one on bridge in the first room.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Having a blast with the DLC so far, equipping every armor and weapon I come across :kimchi:

That said (on the topic of dress-up), how bad is the penalty for not equipping a piece of armor? I seem to recall it being a (really, really dumb) thing in this game that literally any armor (even useless) makes a huge difference compared to no armor. I mean, it's not gonna change my dress-up decisions but it would be nice to know how much I'm nerfing myself by doing this.

e: also, I'm super hyped about certain weapons I've found. They're literally exactly what I was looking for for several of my themed characters :swoon:

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Oh loving christ, someone said unchecking and rechecking the DLC made it work for them so I gave it a try and now Steam's downloading the 1.5 gigabytes all over again. Pausing it and running the game anyway seemed to revert me to the prepatch state. This is going to take another few hours now. :(

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cyberventurer posted:

Oh loving christ, someone said unchecking and rechecking the DLC made it work for them so I gave it a try and now Steam's downloading the 1.5 gigabytes all over again. Pausing it and running the game anyway seemed to revert me to the prepatch state. This is going to take another few hours now. :(

Well, now you get to be like us kool kats on PS4.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can someone just tell me "yes" or "no" if I'm missing something?

The viking area to the right of the first bonfire seems absurd. First you gotta fight through a bunch of Farron Followers, then 50 Wolves, then a bunch of Vikings who take 5 minutes to kill even at level 110 and then you're expected to fight the hugeass wolf again but with 6 adds, in a tiny area on a slope??? All without a single bonfire? It doesn't seem right at all.

Also I think I'm stuck because I got the monster girl back to her canvas and the other lady is telling me to leave and I have no idea where to progress. :downs:

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Lord Banana posted:

Just starting up for DLC, not played in ages. Did they fix armour to make it important, or is it still fashionsouls rules?

Be careful, asking this question in this thread is apparently really stupid. but no they did not it's still the same.

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
@ above poster

I was stuck there too, there's a whole other area if you tack left.

DLC area spoiler:

And holy poo poo, the Sir Vilhelm guy is tough as a caster. He casts a spell on you which makes you unable to cast anything, and he heals, ripostes and does poo poo tons of damage.

This DLC is great.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does the npc recognize you as Lord of Hollows if you beat the game, or just if you get the sigils? DLC's pretty good so far, doing this right after Cathedral seems like it'd suck though; things hit hard.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

DLC was pretty good, but I wish it had been longer, especially since we're only getting 2 of them compared to DS2's 3.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ok yeah ran into the crow assassin with the 1500 damage combo, definitely not going to bother at level 50 lol

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Does the npc recognize you as Lord of Hollows if you beat the game, or just if you get the sigils? DLC's pretty good so far, doing this right after Cathedral seems like it'd suck though; things hit hard.

I started the DLC after finishing with Yoel but before meeting Yuria, and she still got name dropped a couple times.

RBA Starblade posted:

Ok yeah ran into the crow assassin with the 1500 damage combo, definitely not going to bother at level 50 lol

If you can get past the first one, there's a bonfire and you can get your hands on a couple neat weapons before you have to fight any more.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

aegof posted:

I started the DLC after finishing with Yoel but before meeting Yuria, and she still got name dropped a couple times.

If you can get past the first one, there's a bonfire and you can get your hands on a couple neat weapons before you have to fight any more.

I'm four bonfires in and haven't found much of anything but crow assassins yet. GCFO and the dark sword do jackshit to them. I guess I'll double back tomorrow.

e: Sure are a lot of instant kill attacks in this dlc. These guys have a weird gimmick; blocking or rolling from them triggers two separate super combo (for the assassins and the fencers) that will annihilate you, sprint into their assholes.

lol the Way of White Corona is a reference to those white circles in DS1 that made your spells 3% better

e: So that's three enemies that can instant kill.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 25, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Nearly all the new items in the DLC seem to be placed out in the open rather than being rare drops and I'm not sure what I feel about it.

On one hand it's obviously great since I can run through the place on new characters and get stuff for dress-up without being strong enough to actually fight anything in the DLC.... but on the other hand I actually looked forward to spending hours grinding all the armors and weapons because I'm literally insane and enjoy that in RPGs :negative:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Your Computer posted:

Nearly all the new items in the DLC seem to be placed out in the open rather than being rare drops and I'm not sure what I feel about it.

On one hand it's obviously great since I can run through the place on new characters and get stuff for dress-up without being strong enough to actually fight anything in the DLC.... but on the other hand I actually looked forward to spending hours grinding all the armors and weapons because I'm literally insane and enjoy that in RPGs :negative:

I don't mind sprinting if I know where to go, it's one of the things I liked with BB's dlc most of all. I could get three or four weapons to supplement the base boring ones.

Speaking of which the onyx sword seems fun. I'm glad I apparently have 30 twinkling for it.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Spooky Dog Forest may be my second favorite Dark Souls place after the Shaded Wood in DS2. Oh my god I don't care how long or short this DLC is now, the price and wait was worth the atmosphere. Also the Red Weed Village ULLA is rad.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Jesus the last boss of the DLC...best boss I've faced in this game. What a beast.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

God drat I love hulking Nords and ice and fuckoff huge melee weapons, that never gets played out *shoots up between toes because every other vein is collapsed*

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chard posted:

God drat I love hulking Nords and ice and fuckoff huge melee weapons, that never gets played out *shoots up between toes because every other vein is collapsed*

skyrim's for the nords, milkdrinker

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
That is some serious Ornstein and Smough nostalgia from this DLC.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

loving I feel some type of way about another framerate-killing can't-see-poo poo snowy Dark Souls DLC. Or maybe it's just my seething hate of the one from Dark Souls 2 still spilling over, years later.

I don't hate it -- I've only played an hour and not yet encountered a boss -- but it's oppressive as hell, perhaps by design? All I know is I already don't want to play any more tonight. WAAAHHHHHH

About Yoel/Yuria: every NPC has referred to me as Yuria's Lord of Hollows so far. I've killed Gwyn Mk. II and completed Yuria's quest line in this play through, but have not gone through with the corresponding ending on this save.

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 25, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm like level 96 and still got almost chumped by those crows, they're fast as gently caress and I still expect to be doing BB dodges not slow rolls.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Genocyber posted:

You mean you can actually access it or you just now could pre-load the DLC? Cause if you're getting it early because of timezone fuckery... :argh:

I have the season's pass and I was playing when I made that post. No timezone fuckery. i was watching netflix and got a message that new content was available.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Oh shiiiiiiit son, the DLC is out!

I actually just got summoned as a blue sentinel :eyepop: oh man

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why is the balancing of this DLC so bizarre? They recommend level 80, but the DLC released early so I entered at level 55. And I did just fine. It was challenging but fair. It didn't feel like it was designed for such a high level character at all. I mean the game wasn't spitting out chunks like Lothric Castle does. It was just giving me large shards, suggesting an Irthyll level character, which sounds about right.

But the boss is just stupid. This feels like it was definitely designed for a high level character but why would they make the boss absurdly hard compared to everything else in the DLC? I could understand if it was the bonus boss but I already killed that guy, which was so pathetic they might as well not even have put it in.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

RBA Starblade posted:

those things were evil, but I think I hate the wolves and vikings more, the latter because there's goddamn 20 of them and the vikings because they're HP mountains.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how much of the budget for Ashes of Ariandel was spent on making gross squishy sounds.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The crow knights being huge badasses makes sense since the other enemies in that area are a joke. Its basically a bunch of mini boss fights.

If you want to cheese them, you can just throw alluring skulls to get free hits in. They go after them surprisingly.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 25, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Obligatum VII posted:

those things were evil, but I think I hate the wolves and vikings more, the latter because there's goddamn 20 of them and the vikings because they're HP mountains.

Not locking on helped me with the wolves, I usually always do with small fast enemies but you end up whiffing as they jump away when you attack, and just whack whichever one is closest to you.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Your Computer posted:

Can someone just tell me "yes" or "no" if I'm missing something?

The viking area to the right of the first bonfire seems absurd. First you gotta fight through a bunch of Farron Followers, then 50 Wolves, then a bunch of Vikings who take 5 minutes to kill even at level 110 and then you're expected to fight the hugeass wolf again but with 6 adds, in a tiny area on a slope??? All without a single bonfire? It doesn't seem right at all.

Also I think I'm stuck because I got the monster girl back to her canvas and the other lady is telling me to leave and I have no idea where to progress. :downs:

My answer is "kinda."

The first part of the DLC is absolutely tough, but the Farron Followers are easy to run past if you're banging your head against this part and want to just make it to the next checkpoint. As for the wolves, the hugeass one doesn't respawn after you kill it once. And the pack of wolves won't attack you so long as you stay away from them and don't attack them. They won't gang up on you unless you attack one of them, so just move through the area quickly an don't bother engaging them. I suppose I could have gone for backstabs but I'm a little rusty and they turn and move pretty quickly.

The part that I struggled with was against the viking bros. They hit really hard and my washing pole couldn't stagger them for poo poo. Once you collect everything in the area, though, it's pretty easy to run past it to the next bonfire.

peep the tumblr posted:

It rained loving wolves. What the gently caress. Regretting doing this on a SL100 NG+ guy after not playing for so long. :darksouls:

I learned from Bloodborne to keep a character in NG for the DLC. BB's DLC in NG+ destroyed me (though beating the final boss solo felt like a hell of an accomplishment).

Speaking of BB's DLC, the the blood lake filled with featherless, screaming crows really reminded me of BB's DLC. Oh, and the viking dudes with the deer antler helmets seems like a call-back, as well.

I'm four bonfires in and need to call it for tonight, but so far I'm digging this. I'm a level 96 dex build, and none of the tougher enemies want to stagger, which is giving me a little trouble.