Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I don't ever recall working this out, and it's been a long while since I've even seen KotL. What's the wrong place, anywhere but where they start?

The one that starts farther away needs to be farther away than roughly half the area, and vice versa for the other one. If you tank them just where they start, you avoid the buff and can still dodge M's half-area blasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Ciaphas posted:

I don't ever recall working this out, and it's been a long while since I've even seen KotL. What's the wrong place, anywhere but where they start?

1st needs to be taken away, 2nd needs to be brought close. They'll flash if they're in the wrong place.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

CrashScreen posted:

Yeah, basically the half of the arena they spawn in is where you want to tank them. They get a vulnerability buff if they're taken to the wrong part.

I once had some moron get it backwards and kept yelling at me that "it was faster if you move them". Fortunately I was tanking so I just ignored them and kept the dragons locked down in their spawn positions.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hunh. Well maybe I'll see it at some point soon, I'm plotting to start the MNK relic so I can use my five aether oils on it instead of the AST weapon. Buy more time to buy umbrite etc. too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Correct. Usually you see it happen because the tank moves to dodge an AOE and doesn't return to where they started, and then you spend the next 10 minutes yelling at them to move the dragon and spamming sound effects until they look at chat.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

This is good.

Also those landscape changes as the music progresses. :3:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Got my two lines in this weeks journal, which is great since I still have an ironworks set in need of materia to be melded.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Mazed posted:

This is good.

Also those landscape changes as the music progresses. :3:

Wow, i never noticed how scottish (or was it irish?) the Limsa theme sounds, though in hindsight i guess the bagpipes in the original instrumentation should have tipped me off :v: The horns are just so pompous and thundering in the original that it mostly drowns out everthing else.

edit: also the start of the Ul'dah theme sounds very Disney-ish in this

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 25, 2016

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

It makes sense that there's bagpipes in the theme. They were among the instruments that pirate musicians were known to have used.

Also, for what it's worth, the part I think you're referring to does sound a little Scottish.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Always thought Ul'dah's music felt very Star Wars and Gridania felt very Lord of the Rings, and assumed that was intentional, but Limsa-Lominsa's feels like a mashup between Treasure Planet and How to Train Your Dragon.

It is, of course, the best city music.

I wonder how they're gonna do Ala Mhigo's themes. Ishgard was a natural fit for those all that organ and harpsichord, but Ala Mhigo doesn't lend itself to any obvious cultural influence. Maybe Russian? Or just general Central Asian.

There should be Ala Mhigan throat singing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am having one absolute hell of a time trying to decide between taking MNK or DRG to 60 first.

I'm in love with the whole monk aesthetic these days and the job is a ton of fun, but I also like feeling "useful," and DRG's better utility (crit buff, debuffing piercing resistance) really appeals to me. I'll probably level both eventually but it'll be a while. It isn't that DRG isn't fun--I'm at the level now when it's really fun and I'm sure it's only going to get better--but MNK is crazy fun.

I'm so indecisive :ohdear: Super fun, or just regular fun but with the satisfaction of increasing raid DPS a bunch?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Harrow posted:

I'm so indecisive :ohdear: Super fun, or just regular fun but with the satisfaction of increasing raid DPS a bunch?
Super fun, unless you literally have a real raid group lined up. Screw what pubbie idiots think, they have terrible garbo DPS anyway.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

MNK > DRG

I mean the math can't lie.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

copyright third astral era? determined or not that fat cat must be long dead

that's kind of a downer

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Super fun, unless you literally have a real raid group lined up. Screw what pubbie idiots think, they have terrible garbo DPS anyway.

Yeah, I most definitely don't have a raid group lined up and probably won't any time soon. I'd be surprised if I did Savage raids at all really. So I'm certain it doesn't matter for me, but y'know, being "useful" is a nagging thing for me.

Brainamp posted:

MNK > DRG

I mean the math can't lie.

Who am I to argue with math?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I most definitely don't have a raid group lined up and probably won't any time soon. I'd be surprised if I did Savage raids at all really. So I'm certain it doesn't matter for me, but y'know, being "useful" is a nagging thing for me.
I mean, if you want to be useful, the biggest margin of usefulness is either being a Dishonest Healer or a Strength Melded Tank. So as long as you're being selfish, go all out :v:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I have never once, in all the dungeons, primal, or raids I've been in thought "Oh thank god, we have a DRG", and I've played all three roles (four, if you differentiate between melee and ranged dps).

Take from that what you will.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 25, 2016

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Harrow posted:

I am having one absolute hell of a time trying to decide between taking MNK or DRG to 60 first.

I'm in love with the whole monk aesthetic these days and the job is a ton of fun, but I also like feeling "useful," and DRG's better utility (crit buff, debuffing piercing resistance) really appeals to me. I'll probably level both eventually but it'll be a while. It isn't that DRG isn't fun--I'm at the level now when it's really fun and I'm sure it's only going to get better--but MNK is crazy fun.

Spears are cool.

Go Dragoon.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

I have never once, in all the dungeons, primal, or raids I've been in thought "Oh thank god, we have a DRG", and I've played all three roles (four, if you differentiate between melee and ranged dps).

I did once, but it was only because I was looking for bigdick parser numbers while I was playing BRD and they're the ones who bring the pierce damage up buff.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Speak for yourself, "Oh thank god, we have a DRG<t>" is my rez macro.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dragoon's job is to pop Battle Litany and then take a nice nap after jumping right before an enemy does an AoE.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mazed posted:

Always thought Ul'dah's music felt very Star Wars and Gridania felt very Lord of the Rings, and assumed that was intentional, but Limsa-Lominsa's feels like a mashup between Treasure Planet and How to Train Your Dragon.

It is, of course, the best city music.

I wonder how they're gonna do Ala Mhigo's themes. Ishgard was a natural fit for those all that organ and harpsichord, but Ala Mhigo doesn't lend itself to any obvious cultural influence. Maybe Russian? Or just general Central Asian.

There should be Ala Mhigan throat singing.

Ala Mhigo seems to be Welsh Tibet as far as I can tell. The aesthetic of Rhalgrs Reach in the trailer is straight up Tibetan Buddhism on the one hand, but the voive acting of characters like Ilberd and the Fake Griffin coupled with location names like Gyr Abania suggest a Welsh or Gaelic influence to me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You obviously have never partied with bards or machinists, or anybody who doesn't hate crits.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Ala Mhigo seems to be Welsh Tibet as far as I can tell. The aesthetic of Rhalgrs Reach in the trailer is straight up Tibetan Buddhism on the one hand, but the voive acting of characters like Ilberd and the Fake Griffin coupled with location names like Gyr Abania suggest a Welsh or Gaelic influence to me.

Ala Mhigans also happen to all have very Germanic names.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Xarbala posted:

Ala Mhigans also happen to all have very Germanic names.

A mashup of influences then. I can get behind that.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

You obviously have never partied with bards or machinists, or anybody who doesn't hate crits.

My thoughts regarding other dps in my party pretty much start and end with "are they hitting their buttons right" and "are they stepping in bad too much and dying, leaving us with a dps deficit".

By the time I start registering "oh cool, he's using Battle Litany on cooldown/appropriately", it's so far down my mental checklist that the fight is probably over.

Edit: "funny name" and "cool glamour" being the first two things on that list, then the above.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 25, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

A mashup of influences then. I can get behind that.

A bunch of Saxon Buddhists who do kung fu and speak with Welsh accents. I too can dig it.

It's easy for the German influence to slip right past because to our ears it probably just sounds like old-fashioned fantasy-ish names for us, but when I stopped to think about it the majority of people with Germanic names were from Ala Mhigo. And then I remembered that the French call Germany "Allemagne" and in Spanish it's "Alemania." It's not like how Ishgard, and really most Elezen, beat you upside the head with how Frankish their names are. The Germany connection with Ala Mhigo really slips past most people.

And like Germania way back when, it's under Roman occupation.

Now Gridania, I really can't figure out what real world cultural influences are in play there. In fact, I'm not sure there's any at all.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Somewhere in the video folder of random game poo poo I've recorded, there's a clip of a Sophia Ex fight where a DRG thought he'd be able to dodge an Aero 3 with an elusive jump when he was already at the edge of the platform. He is the quintessential Dragoon. Both the hero we need and deserve.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Xarbala posted:

A bunch of Saxon Buddhists who do kung fu and speak with Welsh accents. I too can dig it.

It's easy for the German influence to slip right past because to our ears it probably just sounds like old-fashioned fantasy-ish names for us, but when I stopped to think about it the majority of people with Germanic names were from Ala Mhigo. And then I remembered that the French call Germany "Allemagne" and in Spanish it's "Alemania." It's not like how Ishgard, and really most Elezen, beat you upside the head with how Frankish their names are. The Germany connection with Ala Mhigo really slips past most people.

And like Germania way back when, it's under Roman occupation.

Now Gridania, I really can't figure out what real world cultural influences are in play there. In fact, I'm not sure there's any at all.

Gridania is a void of personality. A yawning black hole into which characteristics and distinguishing features go to die.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

yes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gridania is the culture of being selfish stuck-up assholes under the guise of caring about nature.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

My thoughts regarding other dps in my party pretty much start and end with "are they hitting their buttons right" and "are they stepping in bad too much and dying, leaving us with a dps deficit".

By the time I start registering "oh cool, he's using Battle Litany on cooldown/appropriately", it's so far down my mental checklist that the fight is probably over.

Edit: "funny name" and "cool glamour" being the first two things on that list, then the above.

I had that second (and possibly first, I don't parse) problem in A12 tonight, and then to top it off the healers were terrible. I eventually had to get myself votekicked so I could clear it with another group before the heat death of the universe. Seriously it was bad, like, wipe after add phase if I didn't play near perfectly bad, and this was Normal.

edit: and I main Bard

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 25, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Gridania is the culture of being selfish stuck-up assholes under the guise of caring about nature.

The most realistic of them all

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

The threat of being zerged by a million angry sprites for minor transgressions against the forest probably doesn't help their attitude toward outsiders..

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Limsa has the culture of "market board not only next an an aetheryte, but the MAIN one"
Gridania has the culture of "market board near an aetheryte but not the main one and behind another loading zone"
Ul'dah has the culture of "gently caress you, run to the market board."

So gently caress Ul'dah and Gridania, Limsa is once again the greatest.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Actually, uldah is the best because you spawn right next to the GC, which is the only reason to ever enter one of the cities. Market board and summoning bell are available right next to the goblet, lavender beds and mist teleports. :colbert: What, you don't have a guild house, private house and an apartment?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Truga posted:

Actually, uldah is the best because you spawn right next to the GC, which is the only reason to ever enter one of the cities. Market board and summoning bell are available right next to the goblet, lavender beds and mist teleports. :colbert: What, you don't have a guild house, private house and an apartment?

That'd be a consideration except that the Ul'dah GC isn't the correct one to join.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Limsa's GC may be the furthest from the main Aetheryte but at least it and the market boards are both near one.

Also Maelstrom is the best GC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

why even go to a city when you can just port to your house

• Locked thread