Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I've been looking at benchmarks for 2.5" hard drives, and I see platter drives pushing over 100MB/s. Meanwhile, my current drive usually reads in the mid-single-digit-MB/s range. The fastest I've ever seen it hit is ~15MB/s.

Are the synthetic benchmarks totally out of tune with actual usage, or is my drive screwy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Single digit MB/s read speeds? Are you sure you have a hard drive and not a record player?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That is very slow. Is it an external drive with a broken USB cable?

e: oh poo poo The New York Times bought The Wirecutter for $30 million. Brian Lam started that site after quitting Gizmodo in 2011. He's the reason Gizmodo was banned from Apple events for years after he did the whole stolen iPhone prototype thing. He did well for himself.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 25, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Linguica posted:

Single digit MB/s read speeds? Are you sure you have a hard drive and not a record player?

Probably and old busted 5200rpm 250GB drive

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gonna be a lot of butthurt people next week when they go to sell their rMBP's to finance the purchase of the latest and greatest, and find out they're only worth $500-700

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Gonna be a lot of butthurt people next week when they go to sell their rMBP's to finance the purchase of the latest and greatest, and find out they're only worth $500-700

Oh, I'm going to be very happy personally. I'm almost positive I'll be dropping most of my $$ on a refurbished iMac at this point, but if I can pick up a RMBP to go with it for another $600 I'll be fine with that :dance: I'm still rocking a 2009 MacBook as my main machine...

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

They still make poo poo with FireWire?

That's why I'm asking- I bought the Drobo before macs dropped firewire for Thunderbolt, and I'm hoping it will still be useful assuming I keep it full of working hdds

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I don't know much about modern mobile graphics cards, and I can't find any info/rumors/ideas about what the new MBP might have in it. I have a 15" 2013 MBP with a 650M. Looks like my computer is worth $800-900 on eBay, maybe more since it has a new battery and screen. Since I've used this computer more than daily since I got it 3.5 years ago, its probably about time to update. It can run most things I want, but the ability to have a smoother & cooler (temp) game and video experience would be nice, in addition to more storage space and whatever other random features.

Anyone have any wild guesses as to what it might have?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I was reading that the new MBPs are going to remove standard USB ports. Is this true? Has it already been discussed?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It's likely going to have an AMD Polaris graphics chip. Likely to come with 4 USB-C ports, no SD card reader or regular USB ports. Magsafe fate is undetermined.

Pics that are in OS X 10.12.1

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Looks like the Macbook keyboard. Let the weeping and gnashing of teeth commence.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Other than the "magic toolbar", it looks like a 13" but with speakers?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Well, lets hope that there are a lot of really nice 15" 2015s dropped on Craigslist over the following weeks. I've seen plenty for about 1300-1800 depending on the hard drive size and whether or not it has Applecare, but I'd love to see that drop substantially lower.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

Bob Morales posted:

It's likely going to have an AMD Polaris graphics chip. Likely to come with 4 USB-C ports, no SD card reader or regular USB ports. Magsafe fate is undetermined.

Pics that are in OS X 10.12.1

At risk of being that guy who declares he's underwhelmed after seeing 2 screenshots without a lot of context or details, I'm underwhelmed. This doesn't seem the like the "most significant update in years" analysts have been predicting.

Also not sure how much I like the idea of a non-physical escape key. The OLED toolbar in general feels gimmicky to me, but maybe I'm just not seeing the possibilities. It will probably depend on whether or not developers actually do something interesting or consistent with it.

As for the keyboard, I wasn't a fan of the MacBook keyboard, but if they increase the key travel a bit I could see it being awesome.

The lack of USB-A ports will hurt me way more than the lightning adapter kerfluffle. Half the poo poo on my desk connects via USB-A. (I use the poo poo out of the built-in SD card reader, too, and will miss it if it's indeed gone).

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm wondering if there will be burn-in issues with the new bar. I'd assume most of the time it's showing a static image anyway, of the now-gone function keys.

The bezels seem a little smaller, at the very least on the bottom. The MacBook Pro logo (which I hate and wish they kept the clean look of the rMBP) is on the rubberized section of the hinge, which is also changed.

I'm actually looking forward to the keyboard :getin:

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Bummer, it looks like it is using the MacBook keyboard.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's "the most significant update in years" by default

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Glad to see everyone will finally get the superior keyboard.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

CygnusTM posted:

Looks like the Macbook keyboard. Let the weeping and gnashing of teeth commence.

The whole thing looks like a MacBook. I'm betting it's just a Pro in a MacBook shell. Gonna be some awkward applause for that reveal.

TouchID, though! Took long enough.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Does anyone other than Apple use USB c? Plus all their USB c poo poo is expensive.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

rear end Catchcum posted:

Does anyone other than Apple use USB c? Plus all their USB c poo poo is expensive.

All the cool thin laptops have a USB-C port. There's the HP Spectre with 3? ports and the XPS 13 with one

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yup, last year's Nexus phones, a couple of Chromebooks use USB-c.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Anything with Thunderbolt 3 uses USB-C.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
My bad! I just didn't see it as ingrained as USB 2/3.0 yet.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thunderbolt 3 via USB-C will be nice for video editing on new MBPs. It'd be even better on a new desktop Mac Pro :smithicide:

Thinking about transferring rushes on those TB3 speeds gets me hot.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

enojy posted:

The whole thing looks like a MacBook. I'm betting it's just a Pro in a MacBook shell.
This is actually impossible. You can't currently squeeze Pro-class hardware into that shell.

Although if they can, that'd be nothing less than amazing.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Well, Apple is just gonna give up on them being Pros in anything but name then, I guess, because it has to get thinner every generation. :smithicide:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sinestro posted:

Well, Apple is just gonna give up on them being Pros in anything but name then, I guess, because it has to get thinner every generation. :smithicide:

What makes something Pro to you? Is it mass? Computing power, which is almost certainly going to improve? Battery life, also likely to get better?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Just wait a few more days to see what it really is then start bitching.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does the X1 still have the fake function row? loving dumb.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Nerd Rage in 5..4..3..2.....

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/10/25/13409258/apple-new-macbook-pro-no-escape-key

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

quote:

Forcing people out of their button instincts might also help boost Siri usage on Apple's desktop and laptop computers.

Ahahahhhaha

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

My bad! I just didn't see it as ingrained as USB 2/3.0 yet.

The good news is that while it's annoying change now, it's pretty good for the future because this is a do-anything cable. It's fast enough to replace monitor-specific connections and can do bidirectional power, so as it gets more widely adopted it should be possible to remove all the extra power cables from desktop setups (since the same cable can do data and power from the desktop) and to remove extra cables from laptop dock setups (since the same cable can do data one way and power the other way). There are already a fair number of high-end monitors that do the "data one way and power the other way" thing, too.

Though, this is assuming that lovely Chinese knockoff USB-C cables don't kill us all from electrical fires before this stuff gets common enough to replace existing medium/low-end gear.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 25, 2016

eames
May 9, 2009

I'll have to see how it pans out but I'm fairly sure my next notebook will be a Razer Blade, particularly if they put the mechanical keyboard into the 13"-ish version.
This
"Pro" machine without an Esc key and most likely an even thinner case to dissipate the heat is just a step too far towards iPad "Pro" for me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

"Siri! Escape! Press 'escape' drat you!"

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I've got the idea, you've got the basic computer engineering ability, let's make some money: USB-C ESC key

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

enojy posted:

I've got the idea, you've got the basic computer engineering ability, let's make some money: USB-C ESC key

Make sure to make it out of fair trade bamboo.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

enojy posted:

eames
May 9, 2009

enojy posted:

A guy on twitter has you covered

https://twitter.com/Gidgerby/status/791010455531745280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Make your own as a weekend project!

http://www.instructables.com/id/One-Key-Keyboard-Hack/