Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

Yes. Say what you will about Landis as a writer that issue had very good art.

I get what you're saying but it's a bit odd to say that about a page that is 90% literal tracing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

ImpAtom posted:

I get what you're saying but it's a bit odd to say that about a page that is 90% literal tracing.

I'd say there's plenty of good art on hand. Just...none from the guy whose name is on the book. Kinda illustrative of Landis in general, huh?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Rhyno posted:

He also wrote one of the best single issues about Superman pretty much ever.

Oh sure, I'm not saying he's 100% awful or anything. Just that big chunks of his output are very puerile and eye-roll worthy.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
In honor of the late great Jack Chick.

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/e66Sx

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Jack Chick may have advocated burning books, but at least he made some books worth burning

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ugh, now it's going to cost money to complete my collection.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

Silly Jack, 8th level clerics can't cast Dominate Person.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Ugh, now it's going to cost money to complete my collection.
Surprisingly there's a bunch out of print so it would have anyway

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Uthor posted:

Friendly reminder that this was recently adapted into a movie.

http://www.darkdungeonsthemovie.com/

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dexie posted:

Friendly reminder that this was recently adapted into a movie.

http://www.darkdungeonsthemovie.com/

https://twitter.com/ZombieOrpheus/status/790665629690986496?s=02

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Wanderer posted:

Ennis is from northern Ireland, which is notorious for producing people with a twisted sense of humor,

I mean, I guess we are. Bare in mind one of Ennis' first gigs was doing a stretch for 2000AD where he had Dredd visit Ireland, which he turned into a giant theme park called Murphyville with green Judges who shoot crims with potato guns.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

god I love it when spidey gets to show off

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

So, again, I don't know much about the Punisher.

Why DO they let him run around doing his thing? Like, is there an in-universe justification for allowing him to go on his killing sprees?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Not really to my knowledge. They either pg-13 him or a lot of the murder is done places where no one can prove it or the witnesses don't care.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There heroes are usually too busy with their own bullshit to actually stop him. I believe the context of that series was that they decided to finally bring him in.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rhyno posted:

There heroes are usually too busy with their own bullshit to actually stop him. I believe the context of that series was that they decided to finally bring him in.

That's Rucka's run, right? Half the heroes that go to bring him in, just give him a pass, if I remember correctly. Wolverine, specifically.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Dexie posted:

So, again, I don't know much about the Punisher.

Why DO they let him run around doing his thing? Like, is there an in-universe justification for allowing him to go on his killing sprees?

Nope. He really shouldn't be part of the Marvel universe, but he is and it sucks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uthor posted:

That's Rucka's run, right? Half the heroes that go to bring him in, just give him a pass, if I remember correctly. Wolverine, specifically.

Yeah it's the mini that wrapped up his run. I think it was supposed to lead into a new Rucka-written ongoing but he had a falling out with editorial and bailed.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Android Blues posted:

Oh sure, I'm not saying he's 100% awful or anything. Just that big chunks of his output are very puerile and eye-roll worthy.

Perhaps the same could be said of all comics!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
This is what we call "logic" children.

I hope newspaper Spider-Man never ends.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'm sorry people stopped posting spider-man. How did we get from the subway to being in honey I shrunk the kids?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Egghead shot them all with shrinking gas.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They broke into Egghead's secret lair (JJJ's relative's house) and discovered Pym there tied to a chair, then got gassed into being small and when Egghead got bored of shooting a full size gun at gnat sized superheroes he shrunk Pym and now we're here in what looks like grass but is actually badly coloured carpet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also theres a dedicated newspaper spiderman thread now.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

I don't think Wolverine is actually in that one. I know Black Widow gives him a pass because she's like "whatever, I kill people", Thor gives him some speech about being a warrior but then lets him slide, and I forget how he gets out of facing all the other Avengers.

Of course the real justification is he gets away because he's the star.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also theres a dedicated newspaper spiderman thread now.

The link, for those curious.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Dexie posted:

I'm pretty sure Punisher has said at least once if they put him in prison he'll just kill everyone there until he figures a way out. The heroes can't sit and watch the prisons 24/7, and if they put him in a supervillain prison there would probably be an argument that it would be akin to murdering him (placing him with supervillains with powers).

I suppose they could put him in some sort of one-man superprison and have him be watched around the clock, but unless that would be the final story of Frank Castle it would be pointless because he'd just get out some way or offscreen because someone wanted to use him in the future.

It reminds me of when Joker was decided to be so dangerous that he was moved to a DC Ultramax prison for supervillains, the Slab, and what followed was an event called Last Laugh where he figured out a way to engineer a mass breakout. At the end he was stuck in an even fancier cell in the ultramax prison where, IIRC, the cell had no doors and was being watched 24/7 by Oracle.

Then like...five months later, in a Harley Quinn comic, the writer wanted to use Joker in a story so Harley tossed off a line that Joker broke out of the Slab.

That pretty much says it all, really.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cornwind Evil posted:

I'm pretty sure Punisher has said at least once if they put him in prison he'll just kill everyone there until he figures a way out. The heroes can't sit and watch the prisons 24/7, and if they put him in a supervillain prison there would probably be an argument that it would be akin to murdering him (placing him with supervillains with powers).

I suppose they could put him in some sort of one-man superprison and have him be watched around the clock, but unless that would be the final story of Frank Castle it would be pointless because he'd just get out some way or offscreen because someone wanted to use him in the future.

It reminds me of when Joker was decided to be so dangerous that he was moved to a DC Ultramax prison for supervillains, the Slab, and what followed was an event called Last Laugh where he figured out a way to engineer a mass breakout. At the end he was stuck in an even fancier cell in the ultramax prison where, IIRC, the cell had no doors and was being watched 24/7 by Oracle.

Then like...five months later, in a Harley Quinn comic, the writer wanted to use Joker in a story so Harley tossed off a line that Joker broke out of the Slab.

You just put the Punisher in solitary.

Oh wait I'm using both tactical realism and violating human rights.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that arc ended with tony stark sticking frank into a one man prison that he could never break out of. i don't think they ever explained how he got out.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that arc ended with tony stark sticking frank into a one man prison that he could never break out of. i don't think they ever explained how he got out.

"And with one bound, Frank was free!"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cornwind Evil posted:

So they just straight-up ignored the super-duper prison? Ugh, comics.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fanwank: There's an underground cloning facility somewhere cranking out Franks. Every time one gets gunned down or stuck in an inescapable prison another is released from the facility to continue the Punisher.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

The Lone Badger posted:

Fanwank: There's an underground cloning facility somewhere cranking out Franks. Every time one gets gunned down or stuck in an inescapable prison another is released from the facility to continue the Punisher.

I had the exact same thought about the Joker.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Marvel has a bunch of prisons that can hold guys like Dr. Octopus and Carnage, I'm not sure why Frank couldn't just be placed in one of those. Even if he broke out due to authorial fiat, there's enough security involved on every individual cell that it'd take him forever to even get to the Green Goblin or whoever.

Frank was placed in a ridiculous underwater single-cell prison during Rucka's run, which is ridiculous overkill for a guy who's only powers are "never seems to get hit by the 80 million bullets fired at him by bad guys, and somehow has perfect intelligence regarding his targets every time".

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 25, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Have Daredevil or She Hulk books ever determined what legally constitutes someone for Villain prison over Regular prison?

Punisher would be an edge case if so, which would be an easy out for why they stick him places he can break out of with a hard stare.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think all you need is solid evidence that a normal prison wouldn't hold them.

Then again, loving Hammerhead and Kingpin were held just fine by normal prisons, so again, acting like Frank would definitely totally break out within a week and kill everyone because he's just that awesome is some Batgod bullshit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nilbop posted:

I mean, I guess we are. Bare in mind one of Ennis' first gigs was doing a stretch for 2000AD where he had Dredd visit Ireland, which he turned into a giant theme park called Murphyville with green Judges who shoot crims with potato guns.

If I remember right doesn't that arc end with the discovery that Ireland ran out of potatoes decades ago and now all their potatoes are actually made out of rice?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

They ought to contract with Wakanda, a place where middle-aged-angry-white-man power would avail them nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I think all you need is solid evidence that a normal prison wouldn't hold them.

Then again, loving Hammerhead and Kingpin were held just fine by normal prisons, so again, acting like Frank would definitely totally break out within a week and kill everyone because he's just that awesome is some Batgod bullshit.
I'm talking about the same kind of silly internal Marvel logic that leads to Peter trying and failing to sell his web formula to 3M. It's all bullshit in the end. I'm wondering if Marvel had fun with justifying it.