Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm more hype about mini SNES tbqh

It already exists.

Or if you prefer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

All of Nintendo's energies focused on one system+third party cross platform titles+all non-phone mobile Japanese games= the Switch is gonna own

Definitely. The 3DS has so many games I'd like to play but don't because of the form factor and tiny screen, yet games like that don't get released on other platforms. Having all those games that would have previously been exclusive to a handheld platform available on the switch so I can play it on a freakin TV with an actual controller will be great.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I hope there's a Megaman Battle Network game made where you move around the world on the small screen and when you need to jack in you hold it above your head and yell "JACK IN" and then you put it in the dock and play it on the TV when Megaman is jacked in

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

wicka posted:

i didn't say anything about how well the switch runs and neither did he. i said you are not looking at real gameplay footage, and you aren't.

Yeah I listened to the whole thing, the actor never said anything about how anything ran, nor mention anything about ever actually even turning the thing on.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

wicka posted:

i didn't say anything about how well the switch runs and neither did he. i said you are not looking at real gameplay footage, and you aren't.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

my man you are one of the strangest people i have ever encountered

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lemming posted:

I hope there's a Megaman Battle Network game made where you move around the world on the small screen and when you need to jack in you hold it above your head and yell "JACK IN" and then you put it in the dock and play it on the TV when Megaman is jacked in

Mega Man is dead in all forms. Long live *pfft* Mighty No. 9.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

wicka posted:

my man you are one of the strangest people i have ever encountered

I still like you, even if you're a bit of a silly-goose.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Geostomp posted:

I'm going to play one of the Battle Networks on Virtual Console and do it anyway

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Toady posted:

I still like you, even if you're a bit of a silly-goose.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Since this is the closest we've got to a Wii thread I just want to say that I've been playing Sin & Punishment and it's a pretty drat cool game. It's like Panzer Dragoon and Contra had an awesome baby together. It's also drat hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUh2dj6fa0o

And it only gets crazier from here.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 24, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i hope the mini snes has the vertical band issue

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Mega64 posted:

loving sick of all this half-assed grass in my video games.

You can be sure at least that all Switch games will be required to have "Really Nice Looking Water" under development clauses signed.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Renoistic posted:

Since this is the closest we've got to a Wii thread I just want to say that I've been playing Sin & Punishment and it's a pretty drat cool game. It's like Panzer Dragoon and Contra had an awesome baby together. It's also drat hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUh2dj6fa0o

And it only gets crazier from here.

I like the guy's boots

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Damned if you do damned if you don't. Whenever a new Zelda title (not a Zelda tech demo) is shown one of the first negative things some people always point out are how much they hate the actual grass textures, how ugly the ground looks and everything is ruined because they don't bullshot the footage and lather it all up.

Gotta sacrifice something if you want to have nice water.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

BGrifter posted:

It already exists.

Or if you prefer:

I'm not entirely convinced you know what a SNES is.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Nintendogs Switch confirmed

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Gorgolflox posted:

Nintendogs Switch confirmed

I wonder what the chances are of Nintendo not just making Nintendogs Switch but actually putting the Switch Dog in?

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
If they ever make a Fire Emblem for the Switch I know I'll end up buying two of the drat things, since my partner and I both play the poo poo out of those games on our 3DS's currently.

Hopefully they'll eventually make it so that you can buy additional tablets and just use them with the one dock.

I really hope they release with a solid line up. There really should be at least a few original games that aren't just tarted up Wii U ports or third party games of yesteryear. The Wii U's launch line up was pretty drat pathetic in that regard, though come to think of it, the PS4 and XBone didn't have anything particularly impressive at launch either.

I'm going to get it either way, as I'd gladly pay money just to play tarted up Wii U games on a mobile platform, but still.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm wondering how this will play with family dynamics if it replaces the handheld line.

Both Agatha and Edmund got 3DS consoles for Christmas. Will they both get their own Switch from Papa Noel, or will there be a single family Switch to share? Who gets to take the family Switch to church, the supermart or etiquette class?

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Given that the dock doesn't have any horsepower in it, why are we expecting the handheld to run more choppily than the home console anyway? Cooling/battery or something?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jables88 posted:

Given that the dock doesn't have any horsepower in it, why are we expecting the handheld to run more choppily than the home console anyway? Cooling/battery or something?

A decent power supply can impact performance can it not?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Not on the Switch, but it's still a Zelda video, they did a Game Center CX DX, with some guy other than Arino:

http://youtu.be/JdiKzCzLdpo

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

Yep, and that's assuming it doesn't also contain a cooling system.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Second Quarter Earnings Release tomorrow.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-second-quarter-earnings-what-to-watch-1476850219

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Steve2911 posted:

the nvidia chip can clock itself up with the added power and cooling

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

the nvidia chip can clock itself up with the added power and cooling

yeah that was my assumption as well

Jables88 posted:

the only reason anyone expects it to be choppy is because they saw choppy footage in the ad, which is idiotic. supposedly the handheld is 720p whereas it will output to 1080p when docked, so obviously it requires less horsepower for the former.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nah games of that scope will never hit 60fps on that thing in handheld mode. If it can hit 30 undocked and 60 docked I'll be more than happy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ps3/360 games like re5 can run at a 60 pretty well on shield tablets through android so nintendo can probably get their games to look and run great on their own os and their own custom chip idk.

3rd party will be a poo poo show though

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Geostomp posted:

Mighty Gunvolt is a way better Mighty.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Why didn't Nintendo made a fatal frame style game with the wii u gamepad but with Boos?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i know they're selling this as a home console first, at least at this stage, but you'd think they would optimize games first for handheld mode (since that's the bottleneck) and then scale it up a bit for when its docked

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah that would be a really good Luigi's mansion spin-off. Or a Pokemon Snap game but only ghost and dark type spooky Pokemon.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

greatn posted:

Yeah that would be a really good Luigi's mansion spin-off. Or a Pokemon Snap game but only ghost and dark type spooky Pokemon.

That would probably work better with the more variety, but the Boo one would have the cool built in mechanic where they get shy when you look straight at them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well Luigi mansion ghosts do have the mechanic where a flash of light stuns them which would also work well with a camera.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/789321884739383296?s=09

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Ps3/360 games like re5 can run at a 60 pretty well on shield tablets through android so nintendo can probably get their games to look and run great on their own os and their own custom chip idk.

3rd party will be a poo poo show though

Honestly, based on what I've heard about the power and the efficiency of Pascal, and what the Maxwell-based Tegra X1 could do even when held back by Android, I wouldn't be too shocked to see games that ran at 720p30 on PS3/360/Wii U running at 720p60 on the handheld and 1080p60 when docked.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I thought those leaked documents claimed that the dock contained extra RAM and poo poo.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That was probably a seperate patent of simply one iteration of the design process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I really hope the Switch gets some reading apps, i'd be super down for using my Marvel Unlimited on it.

• Locked thread