Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Freya was my favourite back when I played this as a kid, so I was kinda mad that her entire plot relevance basically shriveled up halfway through disc two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Amarant's line at the end is perhaps my favorite line of that entire sequence. It encapsulates so much of his character, it's great.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I noticed yesterday when I was doing the FotH scenario, but Freya is never properly introduced to the party either.

She's just there in Lindblum Castle with everyone when the festival is starting. No one even questions who the Burmecian lady is.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
"Who's this rat lady who is dressed like a Red Mage and somehow fights like a Dragoon?"

That would be a more appropriate question

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
FUN FACT: The four Guardians are very explicitly inspired by the four Elemental Fiends from the first game. Earth Guardian is Lich, Wind is a one-headed Tiamat, Fire is a two-armed Kary / Marilith, and Sir-Not-Appearing-In-This-Game looks like Kraken's nerdy little brother. Less obvious, though, is Tahakra is supposed to be based off the first Final Fantasy's final boss, Chaos. If you squint and tilt your head you can kinda see it.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 24, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Glazius posted:

Huh. I could have sworn people outside the party got to share XP. So many different RPG systems for that I guess I lots track.

Well, I suppose they wouldn't get AP which is kind of the important part.

The level 1 game would not be possible if that were the case.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I was very dumb my first playthrough and did not get the very obvious hints about Ipsen's Castle's gimmicks. I didn't wonder why my attacks were doing crap for damage or why all the treasures were weak-rear end weapons, OR why the Moogle shop sells the second weakest weapons in the game. Nope. Didn't put two and two together at all.

Instead I just spammed spells and Zidane's Thievery ability, which I had never bothered to use before and found it was quite powerful thanks to all the stealing I had done. (But of course I didn't know how Thievery worked, either!)

Boy did I feel dumb when I replayed the game, with a guide, later. Also it's nice of the game to remind you to re-equip yourself. After Ipsen's Castle, you could very well end up rolling into the Shrine with your weakest weapons still equipped, and that wouldn't be a fun time!

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glazius posted:

Huh. I could have sworn people outside the party got to share XP. So many different RPG systems for that I guess I lots track.

Well, I suppose they wouldn't get AP which is kind of the important part.

That would be ffvii

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

kalonZombie posted:

FUN FACT: The four Guardians are very explicitly inspired by the four Elemental Fiends from the first game. Earth Guardian is Lich, Wind is a one-headed Tiamat, Fire is a two-armed Kary / Marilith, and Sir-Not-Appearing-In-This-Game looks like Kraken's nerdy little brother. Less obvious, though, is Tahakra is supposed to be based off the first Final Fantasy's final boss, Chaos. If you squint and tilt your head you can kinda see it.

The Water Guardian being Kraken gives some... disturbing subtext to Eiko's line.

"A monster like that..."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I lost an hour of gameplay due to the walking glitch causing me to get stuck in a corner of Black Mage Village. :argh:

Why can't Steam fix this already? This is ridiculous.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I have not seen what ever this walking glitch is people are talking about.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I lost an hour of gameplay due to the walking glitch causing me to get stuck in a corner of Black Mage Village. :argh:

do you use a controller?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/377840/discussions/0/361787186426478189/

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

No, I use my keyboard to play.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Hate it when that kind of thing happens. I once had to redo one of the more annoying dungeons in Tales of Symphonia (the Ymir Forest, specifically) because one of the elf NPCs in the town beyond said dungeon trapped me in a corner.

loving elves, man. :argh:

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

The Water Guardian being Kraken gives some... disturbing subtext to Eiko's line.

"A monster like that..."

Let's face it. If they had shown it, it would have given birth to far too many doujins and hentai fics. Even just the subtext and fore/hind knowledge of what they faced down there is already too much, and very :japan:.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SorataYuy posted:

Let's face it. If they had shown it, it would have given birth to far too many doujins and hentai fics. Even just the subtext and fore/hind knowledge of what they faced down there is already too much, and very :japan:.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

"A monster like that..."

please don't joke about the 6 year old being raped, you loving weirdos

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Bufuman posted:

I liked certain parts of TAY. Seeing some of my favorite characters from the original game (or even the series) either all grown up or older and wiser was nice. And the challenge dungeons were interesting too. Well, most of them; gently caress Rydia's Challenge Dungeon. Who on earth thought that reprising and extending the Sealed Cave, complete with multiple Demon Wall fights, with a team consisting of ONLY a fragile caster and a slow tank, was a good idea? gently caress that guy!

That said most of the other additions were pointless fluff or poor imitations of plot elements from the original game. And several characters were extremely underpowered to the point where an empty slot was almost preferable (the standouts being Edge's ninja team; considering that Edge was the weak link of the original team but made up for it by being good at several things, making four characters each with ONE of his specialties was a terrible idea). I liked the idea of the Band system, but knowing which attacks to use for some of them was an obtuse pain in the rear end. And the moon system was pointlessly annoying. Overall the game was solidly average at best, not BAD exactly but definitely not good.

What about Harley? The completely useless character who is a mage without magic due to them scrapping Blue Magic (the skill set she was designed to use) for Jive.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

cdyoung posted:

What about Harley? The completely useless character who is a mage without magic due to them scrapping Blue Magic (the skill set she was designed to use) for Jive.

Huh, that explains a lot. I had wondered why they would bother designing a character that was even MORE useless than Original Edward (the modifier being necessary because TAY Edward is actually pretty good due to his Salve skill now having the ability to use high-tier items like X-Potions, potentially letting him outheal the best White Magic spells if he has the 2x Items Effect accessory on).

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It really doesn't. That is a huge and rather disturbing leap in logic.

SorataYuy posted:

Please stop.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

please don't joke about the 6 year old being raped, you loving weirdos

Yeah guys, this is... seriously kind of off putting.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
:yikes:

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
When I figured out the reference, I just thought she felt insulted she had to fight a slimy, wet monster that kept insulting her. Eiko being a first class lady and all.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If this gets brought up again in any capacity I'm closing the thread.

Time for a new topic.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Is there any real reason they had to do the shrines at the same time instead of just visiting each one with a full party?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

mateo360 posted:

I have not seen what ever this walking glitch is people are talking about.

I just recently started playing the steam version with controller and there is definitely something wrong with walking/running in general. It feels off. I may play on keyboard instead.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

Is there any real reason they had to do the shrines at the same time instead of just visiting each one with a full party?

Because the Ipsen's Castle boss strongly implied that they needed to.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's really lucky there just happened to be 8 people on this adventure. It would have been hilarious if Zidane had to send Amarant off by himself after their whole thing at the castle.

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

I think it'd be cool if in one of these games you could battle with all your characters at once. There's no narrative reason (usually) for people just to stand around and watch while other people whack baddies. I think controlling about 6 characters at once wouldn't be that difficult or intrusive for the player.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Sharparoni posted:

I think it'd be cool if in one of these games you could battle with all your characters at once. There's no narrative reason (usually) for people just to stand around and watch while other people whack baddies. I think controlling about 6 characters at once wouldn't be that difficult or intrusive for the player.

Star Ocean V agrees with you! Shame about the rest of it though, it was only OK.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
The whole world of FFIX is probably my favorite out of all the Final Fantasies. There's just so much unique care put into everything, even those gates you rarely have to visit in-game.

It's a real shame that overworld maps pretty much vanished after this game.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

No, I use my keyboard to play.

Do you have a controller plugged into your PC? I've played games in Steam via keyboard, and ocassionaly had issues because I had a controller plugged in. Once I unplugged it, everything worked fine.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

Do you have a controller plugged into your PC? I've played games in Steam via keyboard, and ocassionaly had issues because I had a controller plugged in. Once I unplugged it, everything worked fine.

No, I haven't hooked my controller up in a long while.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Sharparoni posted:

FF6 almost does this. It gets so close that it hurts. The boss in question has multiple phases, and at the end of each phase any KO'd party members are replaced by anyone not in the active party, provided they themselves are still alive.

Although, I guess FF6 might be a bad example, what with having 14 total party members :v:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
By my estimates, there's four updates left for Disc 3. Got screenshots for the next two updates ready (the really good part will be the update after those two). Disc 4 should only be a handful of updates (I'm guessing around eight but could be way off there), so I'm kinda expecting this LP to be done by the end of November, though we'll see how that actually falls through.

Next update should be tomorrow.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sharparoni posted:

It's a big issue for the graphics system, which is why FF7 and FF8 were down to three members in the active party.

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

ultrafilter posted:

It's a big issue for the graphics system, which is why FF7 and FF8 were down to three members in the active party.

Well yeah, that's why every game has been limited, but the supercomputers under our TVs these days should be handle a little more. Then again I don't know anything about development so I could be wrong.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
My dream version of FFXII has all six characters on the field at once.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharparoni posted:

I mean, FF15 is technically doing that.

oh, and I think FFX's instant swapping basically makes it feel like the entire party is in at once.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 26, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The other problem with having all your party members on the field at once (other than having to deal with 6+ different ATB bars) is clutter. You still want your HP etc. to be visible on screen, and the more characters you have to fit in, either you have less screen space, or you show less information. You also have a potential problem with too many models on the screen at once, but that wouldn't normally be a problem with advanced technology.

There's also the fact that if you allow all the party members on screen, then enemy encounters have to be balanced around that, which can be challenging in terms of game design.

FFX/XII's system is probably the best compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think it can work with a 5 or 6 character party (FFIV had a five character party with everyone in at once, and it worked very well), but yeah, a system built around switching in and out is the best compromise.

I think an action system is better for this sort of thing than a turn-based system too, at least if the action game has large enough combat arenas for everyone to fit. A turn-based game can get bogged down pretty quickly if you have to take turns for 7 or 8 characters, and then the other side has to do the same.

• Locked thread