Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Apparently blue eyed dogs are a bad omen in some cultures so my neighbours kids are terrified of him lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 358 days!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Did you actually fill the tank once you put it in the car?

yeah, poo poo was 3/4 full. we'll never know for sure what the problem was, though, because i got annoyed and drank so much that my bladder burst and i died

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

Whoa whoa whoa what. Forza is on PC now?

Yeah and it's pretty much the afterbirth version to the Xbox's, what I hear, refined product.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I have no complaints about My Summer Car chat in this thread (I started it, after all) but I posted a more thorough writeup of my first night's playing over in the Games thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794951&pagenumber=1

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Busy Haulin Ice - Visit 2

Maybe a week later, I get a text, no hot water!
He comes in the next morning, and we remove/remount the water heater (It was drywall screwed to the MDF of course).
Through bolted now, we try to troubleshoot it. I take the front cover off and the circuit board/igniter stuff is just charcoal.
That's when he gave me the pictures and mentioned that the Fabricator, had installed the water heater INSIDE the cabinet, PARALLEL to the floor.
It's a tiny little gas heater, with only natural airflow, so critical to be mounted upright and in clear air!

IIG (Italian Ice Guy) orders another heater for next visit.
Then he says, I Hear a clunking noise when I get on and off the throttle.
I start checking the driveline:
motor attached to crankset, attached to derailleur, derailleur has extra sprocket, chain goes to rear differential and axles.
Everything seems legit but then I notice motor is hanging on top of control and power wires that run down the front face, pulling on them.

Motor castle nut is not tightened, so motor swinging 1/2" on throttle application and back off. I don't have a wrench for this, so he goes off to bike shop down street.
Next day comes back with new gas heater, we reinstall it, plumb it up, and we add cleats to inside of cabinet to secure water tanks from sliding around.
Right before he is leaving, IGG says "I've been having trouble cooling the freezer down, have to put a fan in front of it to get it down to 0-5 degrees."
I take a closer look at cooler - it was originally manufactured on qty (6) legs, I'm guessing 4 or 5 inches high, for allowing cleaning of your ice cream shop, and EXHAUST FROM COMPRESSOR TO ESCAPE DOWN.
I get out the hole saw , and punch a bunch of 2 inch holes in the deck, giving a rough cutout for exhaust. (Not enough clearance underneath for jig saw). Freezer gets to -20 that night. Hoorah.
Still has no means to fill or empty tanks besides siphoning and sticking a hose in the potable tank, inside the cabinet, still has collpasing hose
IGG gets back to slinging ice

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Of course my summer car is windows only. Anyone tried running it under bootcamp on a Mac laptop? This is the only game I have really wanted to play in years, and I don't think I can really justify building a windows machine just for this.

have a picture of my dog with the cats toy

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

what a good boy :3:

or girl

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Dogchat: This silly little rear end in a top hat is enjoying a scrub in the tub.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I decided to try making an endgrain cutting board over the weekend.

I'd say it turned out pretty well.

https://agocs.org/blog/2016/10/25/end-grain-cutting-board/

slurry_curry posted:

Of course my summer car is windows only. Anyone tried running it under bootcamp on a Mac laptop? This is the only game I have really wanted to play in years, and I don't think I can really justify building a windows machine just for this.

One of my friends is going to try. If he gets it going, I'll try to remember to let you know.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Safety Dance posted:

I decided to try making an endgrain cutting board over the weekend.

I'd say you did more than try... that looks great!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

keykey posted:

Dogchat: This silly little rear end in a top hat is enjoying a scrub in the tub.

Sup doberman buddy. Mine is the same way - when we have to give the other dogs a bath he sits at the bathroom door and whines until he gets his turn.

Seminal Flu posted:

Good fences make good neighbors.

Can confirm but the other way around. My neighbors put a fence down the property line 6 year ago and used untreated posts driven right into the ground without concrete. This past summer they found four rotted out posts and tried to claim we did it the previous winter by plowing snow off my driveway into it, but last winter was very mild and I never got my tractor out to plow.

They wanted me to replace them and I told them to go pound sand (in more diplomatic terms obviously) for the above stated reason, now relations have chilled and we don't talk anymore, but I'm not going to be on the hook for their poor choices. I figured if I replace those four then the next time they find a rotted out post guess whose problem it would be.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
My wife gave me the green-light to pick up a Volvo wagon posted on CL that looks like a good deal, but since then I started thinking about spending that money on parts for an LS swap...or just being a boring dude and using it towards maintenance. I'm leaning V8 swap but I would have to wait until summer since its my daily driver. Hmm

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

--------------ON CATARACTS--------------

Cataracts are when the lens of the eye (the same lens we were talking about previously, that squishes and changes shape to focus, or accommodate), clouds up or crystallizes into a fog. This usually happens with old age, and, in fact, the chance of getting a cataract, per year, in percentage, is equal to your age above 60. So, at 75, you have a 75% chance of getting a cataract that year, in general.

To repair cataracts, first an ophthalmologist makes a tiny, 4-8mm incision, usually over the iris (colored part of your eye) near the pupil (olden times was near the sclera). Then, ophthalmologists use a tiny vacuum needle, vibrating at ultrasonic frequencies, to break up and suck up the ruined lens of your eye. Since the lens has "crystallized," it easily falls apart and is sucked into the ultrasonic vacuum.

After the lens cavity is cleared out, they insert the appropriate intraocular (IO or IOC) lens into the cavity. Since the cavity is larger than the actual usable lens area, the intraocular lens has little "wings" (usually 2, but sometimes 3 in number) to keep it centered. They are packed tight against the lens, and are sprung out after insertion through use of a special tool.

When doing cataract surgery, the ophthalmologist usually chooses a lens that correct for any existing prescription in the patient. If they were a -7.00D, he will choose a lens that brings them down to either 0.00D or maybe even -1.00D (to account for close-up vision and the immediate 100% presbyopia cataract surgery puts on the patient, giving them close up vision without glasses). If the patient has a very high astigmatism, that can't be corrected with the intraocular lens, but it can sometimes be reduced.

As of note: since the natural lens is being replaced with a rigid plastic lens, this puts the person, regardless of age, into 100% presbyopia. The replacement lens is unable to move or focus at all (though this is a hotly debated and active area of research in the ocular medicine community right now) so the person will have a fixed point of focus. After cataract surgery is when most people move from bifocal lenses (one distance rx and one close rx) to either trifocals (add an intermediate rx in the middle between the two), or progressive lenses (a continuously variable rx from distance to near vision).

Again, when somebody is doing cataract surgery, they are usually given the choice, like with LASIK after 40, of where they want their natural focus point to be. If someone is disable or otherwise doesn't go out much, they will usually choose a near point of focus. If someone is active and working, they will usually choose (or the ophthalmologist will choose for them) a distance point of focus, necessitating glasses to use a computer or read up close.

I had a cataract in only one eye, at 45. It actually started before then, of course, but that's when I had it fixed. Since I couldn't afford to have both eyes corrected, the surgeon elected to make the eye with the cataract "match" the "good" eye. My ;prescription is similar for both eyes, and I'm happy that I can see 3D movies again. Mind you, it's time for bifocals, even with the "good" eye...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I just went through my entire toolbox trying to figure out which wrench was the main bearing bolts only to find out it was the first wrench I tried.

so real.

quote:

I also smashed the living poo poo out of my rear end trying to put a bumper on.

That sounds like a personal problem.
Oh, you mean the car's rear end.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
On a scale of 1 to "Splitting Maul to the Gentleman's Bits," how painful would it be to try to do the head gaskets, timing belt, and water pump on my Baja... on a gravel parking pad with no shelter?

Also: why the gently caress couldn't it wait to start pissing oil until after I built my garage. :argh:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I forgot about traumatic cataracts. You can get them after a hard trauma to the eye (direct punch, laceration, penetrating trauma), but the average onset is something like 30 days after the incident.

So, you get into a bar fight end of January, and in March you suddenly get a cataract overnight :ohdear:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Magnus Praeda posted:

On a scale of 1 to "Splitting Maul to the Gentleman's Bits," how painful would it be to try to do the head gaskets, timing belt, and water pump on my Baja... on a gravel parking pad with no shelter?

Also: why the gently caress couldn't it wait to start pissing oil until after I built my garage. :argh:

You're going to want to pull the motor unless you enjoy pain. It will probably take under a day if you are reasonably experienced. Rustbelt or no?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

kastein posted:

You're going to want to pull the motor unless you enjoy pain. It will probably take under a day if you are reasonably experienced. Rustbelt or no?

Montana, so rust is minimal, but it's also going to be November. And yeah, I figured it would require pulling the engine. I know there's a way to do just the HG without pulling the motor, but I'm pretty sure my arm doesn't bend the five different ways it'd have to to do the timing belt in-situ.

My wife has a second job at a truck stop (because gently caress paying special ed teachers a livable wage?) and apparently she gets a 20% discount at the shop there, so I may just end up throwing money at this.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Timing belt is pretty simple in the car. Getting the heads on/off a little more of a pain in the rear end but possible with sohc

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If you don't pull the engine, undo the transmission and engine mounts, jack the engine up, and swing it side to side. I did a DOHC one that way on the street.

Sucked and took like three days, but I did it

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm doing mockups of various paint schemes for my rocket, and I think the AI option looks pretty neat.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

You can say what you want about it but its well designed, well engineered stuff that does what it needs too without looking like farmer billybob attached farm scrap to your truck with a metal making GBS threads duck!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Enourmo posted:

I'm doing mockups of various paint schemes for my rocket, and I think the AI option looks pretty neat.

Good rocket livery, that.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
So that tow I posted the other day? Finally got a new tire and picked the car up today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2EJAgmz_ok

Beep beep get out of my way oh wait stock cars don't have horns. Not sure what's disconnected or broken, I'm having an appraiser from my insurance look at it in a day or two to figure it out.

Cage fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 26, 2016

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Ferremit posted:

You can say what you want about it but its well designed, well engineered stuff that does what it needs too without looking like farmer billybob attached farm scrap to your truck with a metal making GBS threads duck!

Oh trust; I pick up ARB catalogs at shows/meets and pass them off to buddies after I'm done jerking window shopping. If I had the cash I'd buy a bunch of it and load my poor jeep down until it couldn't make it up a paved grade without using the ARB remote winch while sitting in my ARB chair drinking beer from my ARB fridge/freezer inside my ARB rooftent.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Oh trust; I pick up ARB catalogs at shows/meets and pass them off to buddies after I'm done jerking window shopping. If I had the cash I'd buy a bunch of it and load my poor jeep down until it couldn't make it up a paved grade without using the ARB remote winch while sitting in my ARB chair drinking beer from my ARB fridge/freezer inside my ARB rooftent.

I think my trucks basically a rolling advert for them now... theres the Old Man Emu springs under it (which are owned by ARB) the bullbar (arb) the compressor (ARB) The lockers (ARB) the rear carrier (ARB) the roof racks (ARB) the tyre pressure monitoring (ARB) Roof top tent (ARB)....

Only things that arent ARB is the engine upgrades (Snorkel, Piggyback ECU and upgraded intercooler are all Safari) the exhaust (Beaudesert) the cargo barrier (Milford), fridge (Engel) and lighting (Lightforce).... Im now at the point i automatically get a discounted price when I walk into their showrooms.

Stupidly its cheaper to buy ARB gear in the US than here in Australia where its actually loving made!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
One of my favorite (actually, the only) game YouTube channel I watch just did a My Summer Car. If a Swede being angry at a Finn doesn't convince you, I don't know what will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNkLhED5Elw

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can a WiFi adapter get weaker over time? Especially if it is used to pick up a weak signal?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Not that I know of. However, cranking them to the highest Tx power can cause them to suffer from heat-related errors (and subsequent packet loss), and that can manifest as slowness as it sends repeated requests for lost data.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Not that I know of. However, cranking them to the highest Tx power can cause them to suffer from heat-related errors (and subsequent packet loss), and that can manifest as slowness as it sends repeated requests for lost data.

Yeah. I was wondering if that "burns out" the electronics somehow. Was trying to figure out some weirdness at my friend's house. I think the router itself is getting weaker somehow. As I think I tried another adapter. Ah well.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
They can definitely get flaky over time, but I don't think it has to do with the actual RF transmit part of the radio. Wouldn't be surprised if it was due to the bad caps that plague everything. I had a WRT54G that worked great for years, but eventually got flakier and flakier (had to constantly reset it) until I replaced it with a Ubiquiti unit. The radio seemed to always work, but the processor seemed to go out to lunch more and more frequently.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

One of my favorite (actually, the only) game YouTube channel I watch just did a My Summer Car. If a Swede being angry at a Finn doesn't convince you, I don't know what will.

Holy loving poo poo this is amazing hahahahaha

He is a perfect finn

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Once again my laziness comes around to bite me in the rear end.

The tap in my bathroom has been dripping on the cold side for a while, so I've been shutting it on and off with the ball valve on the supply line when I'm not using it. Well, now the ball valve has started leaking from the handle, since they aren't really designed to be used all the time :doh:

So now I have to replace the tap and the ball valve, and the sink is this huge porcelain hunk of poo poo with an integrated tap. I have to pull everything apart to even get to the fittings. And I have to relearn how to use plumber's hemp and paste, since I don't trust teflon tape.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

Can a WiFi adapter get weaker over time? Especially if it is used to pick up a weak signal?

I seem to recall that there was some phenomenon where WiFi poo poo slowly degraded over the course of some years. Can't remember if it was the clock drifting or some sort of SNR that became worse and worse. here is a four year old Ask Slashdot that talks about this.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

keykey posted:

This is Leo at the dog park getting the mud off.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Biodome posted:

a good doggo

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

sounds like swedish super grover

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Biodome posted:

"A what? A bath?! Nah, I got it. Here, see? All clean!"

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

BraveUlysses posted:

sounds like swedish super grover

I think that was when he was pretending to be Finnish.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

beep-beep car is go posted:

I think that was when he was pretending to be Finnish.

He sounds like that in all of his videos actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

yeah that's how most swedes from not stockholm sound lol

• Locked thread