Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:rip: Sothis/Ceos

12t of poo for 700k
96t for 1.9M

Data deliveries down to 10-30k.

Hope you put some stank on it while you could, nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:rip: Sothis/Ceos

12t of poo for 700k
96t for 1.9M

Data deliveries down to 10-30k.

Hope you put some stank on it while you could, nerds.

I was one of the first ones that extolled the virtues of poop transporting in this thread. Got an anaconda out of it. But with this change, the poop market is dead. Might as well just do a high yield trading route in the bubble.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Blanket nerfing all deliveries including mailman missions and all the other hauling missions that didn't pay well to begin with is piss poor. Sorry newbies I hope there's another good way to earn money for a bigger ship/better Sidewinder modules now. Also rep grinds - not only do you get gently caress all rep now, but you also don't get money out of mailman missions :woop:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Trying to source a 7A FSD for this Space Whale. Found a 7B but not gonna waste time modding that poo poo.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Crimson Harvest posted:

Trying to source a 7A FSD for this Space Whale. Found a 7B but not gonna waste time modding that poo poo.

https://eddb.io/station ?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Yeah but it's not always trustworthy. Basically the only source tho.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you limit yourself to stations updated in the last few days it's usually accurate in my experience. Might need a day or two due to adapt to the patch, though (I assume FDev messes with station supply in patches).

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I haven't been able to get much play time in. I keep experiencing disconnects or the jumps to systems take a solid minute to do. But, holy poo poo if those mission payout updates are true, its really gotta suck to be a total be someone who *just* started playing.

Kinda makes me think: those of us who were able to take advantage of Sothis / Ceos / Robigo and now have murderboats and several mil in the bank? Yeah, we're the official baby boomers of the game. And people starting out are millennials.

"Back in my day, I worked HARD for my Anaconda. Maybe if you took as many contracts as I did, your lazy rear end wouldn't be stuck in a Sidewinder"

"No contracts available, you say? Did you try going inside and asking for the manager?"

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Seeing the missions for taking pax to distant places paying ~50M a mission is going to scratch the exploration itch while earning some coin at the same time. I guess I'll be making an Exploraconda after all.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Dolemite posted:

I haven't been able to get much play time in. I keep experiencing disconnects or the jumps to systems take a solid minute to do. But, holy poo poo if those mission payout updates are true, its really gotta suck to be a total be someone who *just* started playing.

Kinda makes me think: those of us who were able to take advantage of Sothis / Ceos / Robigo and now have murderboats and several mil in the bank? Yeah, we're the official baby boomers of the game. And people starting out are millennials.

"Back in my day, I worked HARD for my Anaconda. Maybe if you took as many contracts as I did, your lazy rear end wouldn't be stuck in a Sidewinder"

"No contracts available, you say? Did you try going inside and asking for the manager?"

The same thing happened with every exploit. From Seeking Medicine spamming to going afk while hiding behind capital ships.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What's up with the "Elite:Dangerous 2.2" watermark?

:allears:

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

I think the word 'exploit' has ceased having any meaning with people playing this game.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad I took another couple runs after getting a better FSD mod on my Anaconda to bump up to 300M in the bank.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

orcane posted:

:allears:

To clarify, the long range smuggling or hauling missions were fine and frontier even advocated for them. It's the constant logging that's an exploit, and that comes from the developers themselves. The other ones I mentioned were exploits as well and were also nerfed.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

orcane posted:

My immersion! :argh:

Seriously why did they kill all the short range delivery missions too? I am allied with these dudes and they want me to deliver 108 tons of stuff 16ly for 73,000 credits. It is like they said "We can't have people earning faction AND money at the same time!" I have to decide to either just pick my own cargo trading routes for 3k/ton and no naval rank gain or take their routes for 0.68k/ton and naval rank. Both options provide almost negligible benefit.

Also looking at passenger missions, if the guy I am carrying has a recommended explorer rank on the mission does that mean I get Explorer XP for delivering him? That would make getting Elite somewhat trivial compared to actual exploring.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iojsbuOzEuQ

Breaking: Game still Gorgeous

"The Guardians" is a reference to the builders of those tech ruins, isn't it? :ohdear:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

So uh those prothean mysterious objects in the trailer? And the 'guardians' title in the same style?

I think we can deduce who the guardians are :tinfoil:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Strategic Tea posted:

So uh those prothean mysterious objects in the trailer? And the 'guardians' title in the same style?

I think we can deduce who the guardians are :tinfoil:

I am kind of hoping for a lost, hostile human colony, rather than aliens.

I'm guessing it will have to do with the GalNet article from a while ago where the lost Fed President was rambling about the "protectors of the Galaxy" or some such.

Any word on the new engineers and their blueprints? Need to plan my masochism.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

CapnBry posted:

Seriously why did they kill all the short range delivery missions too?

Because every time people find a way to make money too fast, Frontier reacts by nerfing it in a way that hits so broadly or stupidly, stuff that wasn't "too fast" gets nerfed too. Remember how they "fixed" Capital Ships making Warzones profitable?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
In the minor improvements I'm thankful for column, I'm glad that you have your proper orientation to the star coming out of of a jump now. When flying in a more-or-less straight line this makes orienting toward the next jump slightly less time consuming and positions you to refuel as well.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also the summary of the next system you're about to jump to is really nice, although it probably would have been more useful when you couldn't just limit the route planner to scoopable stars in the first place.

Also Ceos/Sothis stations are rotating (they also lost the "construction" tag if you select them, but they're still just a station head with big engines) and they have traffic control now, too bad no one is going to be there anymore :v:

Mike the TV posted:

To clarify, the long range smuggling or hauling missions were fine and frontier even advocated for them. It's the constant logging that's an exploit, and that comes from the developers themselves. The other ones I mentioned were exploits as well and were also nerfed.

They can justify it however they want. Still, they "fixed" the part that was apparently okay and which was not an issue anywhere else, really, with the possible exception of Robigo slave runs. Second, there's no sane way around the refreshing the mission board part if you think about it. You can make it very inconvenient and some people will still wait for refreshes the hard way. Also it's not the players who set the exponential pricing on ships and modules, so good luck convincing them to do one 100k mission after another, returning to a station every time. And last but not least, no one will ever just pick whatever the board spits out because the mission type he wants to do isn't available. Particularly, if you fit a ship to haul lots of stuff 400ly+ you're not suddenly going to accept all the "kill enemy ships" missions and vice versa, nor are you going to be happy with shipping 16 tons in a bulk freighter because nothing else was available.

So really, this speaks volumes about the devs being really bad at thinking their own game systems through. Sure, fix actual exploits and balance your monetary rewards, but that's not what they did this time.

E: Module transfers to Jacques :laffo:

orcane fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 25, 2016

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Went to check Qama low intensity conflict zones after the patch with my ~~new python~~ only to find Anacondas and corvettes slugging it out there :stare:

Is this indicative of the new patch or is that system just weird? If they have high intensity ones there, I really have to go and take a look.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I dropped by a low intensity and it seemed to have a bog range of ships from cobras to corvettes. There seemed to be way more ships on both sides in general, and they were tearing each other up too. Not beating for ages on a shield brick.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:frogsiren::hf::siren: PSA :siren::hf::frogsiren:

Installing more than ONE unique module from storage will make your commander data "inaccessible," whatever that means.

Don't find out what that means.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Passenger missions seem like the new money hotness. Asp with room for 8+4, allied factions, getting 3-10m per cabin. This is for either 1 jump missions or 400ly or so treks around the bubble.

It's not Sothis/Ceos but it's not terrible

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Not surprised, after they went to all the trouble of putting in passenger hauling crap they'd need to dangle a few dollar signs to get people to actually do it.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Noobfriend here again, what's the !!hottest!! new moneymaking scheme now

e: i have a type 6 and almost 2mi bank

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I thought passengers were cool and good and only wrote them off entirely because they could change their minds like all non-poop cargo.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 375 days!
I saw a passenger mission for 54,000,000cr. Handful of people wanted to go see some place 21,000ly off toward the core

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

They can change their minds but unlike poop you can still dump them at the original destination and get paid

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah, despite the mission nerfs, I like that passenger hauling pays decently. And for some reason, even missions to carry 3-6 people pays close to, if not six figures. I ended up stripping off a few of the hull reinforcements on my Python to haul passengers.

So far, it seems like the mega sized cabins are a waste. Just stack a couple ~3 people cabins into those smaller optional slots and pile on the missions.

Strategic Tea posted:

They can change their minds but unlike poop you can still dump them at the original destination and get paid

I've only done a handful of the passenger missions. I've had one passenger ask me to get them clothing or something. But besides little fetch requests, will passengers ask to be taken somewhere else? And how much does the passengers' happiness rating affect your payout?

Dolemite fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 25, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Crumpet Strumpet posted:

I saw a passenger mission for 54,000,000cr. Handful of people wanted to go see some place 21,000ly off toward the core

Well, you have a week time to complete those missions. So if you take a week vacation time and haul rear end that should be doable. :v:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
What's that website that lets you look engineer blueprints and track what you need to collect?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
A ship gets what, like 20ly per jump?

So a 'travel 20,000 light year' mission really just means "watch the jump animation 100 times and do the fuel scooping mini game x times."

I got burnt out on this game after playing it for two or three weeks and have never managed to get excited about it again :(

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

hakimashou posted:

So a 'travel 20,000 light year' mission really just means "watch the jump animation 100 times and do the fuel scooping mini game x times."

I got burnt out on this game after playing it for two or three weeks and have never managed to get excited about it again :(

lol yep that's it you've cracked the code of "explorer passenger missions use the exploration mechanic as it's been in game since launch"

good job, buddy :thumbsup:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 25, 2016

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

2spooky4me posted:

What's that website that lets you look engineer blueprints and track what you need to collect?

Inara

http://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers

Morningwoodpecker fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 25, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

hakimashou posted:

You forgot a zero. It's a thousand jumps, not a hundred. :v:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

it's still not impossible, just painfully boring

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Libluini posted:

You forgot a zero. It's a thousand jumps, not a hundred. :v:

My brain must have a sanity check.

:rip:

Adbot