Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdTNuZWA4mY

dawn of the dead re:view, all killer no filler mike and jay extravaganza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

dreezy posted:

No loving way. Just rewatched that glorious movie (the 11-12 minute extended edition) last week.'

Clearly I should be on the crew if we share this mental wavelength.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Fyi this was supposed to be a commentary track originally.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

dreezy posted:

i only watch movies in 70mm now ever since I saw hateful 8.

Want to watch Drive on 70mm? Purchase the camera, filmstock, and a projector and record the movie as it plays on the projector screen.

TruKino

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That head rip scream from Day of the Dead scarred me as a child but now it's just dumb because I realized it's the exact same scream the second time, just sped up, also the puppet's mouth opens so drat wide :lol:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm loving Jay's Freddy Krueger sweater in this Re:View

UncleMoeLester
Oct 25, 2016

Midget Fiddler
Lipstick Apathy
Their best of the worst series is an example of something I didn't know I wanted until I saw it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

dreezy posted:

Lol, what's even the point of a review of Dawn of the Dead that doesn't discuss the social commentary. That's like the only thing the film has to say.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It's not so much commentary as it is a blunt declaration.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I wonder who the real zombies are.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
AND I watched it on that exact same box set, specifically because I wanted that extended edition.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
between the times of 27:23 and 27:27 a bug crawls across the floor. between the times of 0:00 and 33:40 the fat in mike's face is on the verge of explosion.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

lovely Duracell battery Star Wars commercial playing before an RLM video :ironicat:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

dreezy posted:

Its amazing how long it took me to see Dawn of the Dead considering it was filmed in my town, shame the Mall has changed so much, they got rid of that JC Penny (replaced it with a movie theater) where the sliding down the escalator scene happened. The fountains were they have one zombie collecting coins were removed last year. The food court is where the ice rink is now a days. They had the first big zombie walks there until the event got too big for the Mall. They also had a zombie museum behind the arcade, but I think they moved/ran out of money.

Anyway I love this movie other than local pride, I like it mainly because its more of an adventure than straight up horror flick.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Lurdiak posted:

Lol, what's even the point of a review of Dawn of the Dead that doesn't discuss the social commentary. That's like the only thing the film has to say.

It's almost like they did that on purpose.

"When there's no more room in Hell, Mike and Jay will discuss the George A. Romero zombie classic Dawn of the Dead and manage to avoid using the phrase "social commentary" the entire time."

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Jay's Harry Potter costume looked weird. Like he was wearing the scarf.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Handsome Twink who listened to the dvd commentary track relays that information piece-meal for 30 minutes to Bloated Hack who's not really even into this movie: the video

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The version I saw on youtube or vimeo or something was an italian screener and I hated it, and the comments all said "what the gently caress version is this?" I'd give it a second chance but I"m not spendin no hundred dollars on no amazon used blu ray.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Krinkle posted:

The version I saw on youtube or vimeo or something was an italian screener and I hated it, and the comments all said "what the gently caress version is this?" I'd give it a second chance but I"m not spendin no hundred dollars on no amazon used blu ray.

:lol::lol:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Lurdiak posted:

More like what would be the point of doing a review that talks about the parallels between zombies and mindless consumerism? That has been done so many loving times and I'm sick of hearing it, I'd imagine that's why they went out of their way to not mention it.

Wicker Man posted:

AND I watched it on that exact same box set, specifically because I wanted that extended edition.

The extended edition is still my favorite cut because it was the first version I saw, on VHS. It's a shame that Romero doesn't like that cut and the Ultimate Edition is, I think, the only way to get that cut on anything higher-def than VHS. So I'm clinging tight to my Ultimate Edition DVD until they release a blu ray of the extended cut (which will never happen).

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 25, 2016

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
http://i.imgur.com/sTybQPb.gifv

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Any time you start to love mike remember, John Carpenter films suck.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Star Wars! I love Star Wars!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Paladinus posted:

Star Wars! I love Star Wars!

Counterpoint: Star Wars

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What people often miss in Star Wars is the franchise's odd name. Notice how it's not Space Wars or Stellar Wars, not even War among the Stars? Consider this: 'wars' is a verb. This would make the title an allusion to Lucifer, 'morning star' who is at war with God and his angels. On the other hand, Star Wars sounds almost identical to the Greek word σταυρός (stauros), i.e. cross, which is one of the most recognised symbols of Christianity and Jesus' redemptive suffering on, you guessed it, the cross. So we have this binary in the title, which is a thematic rhyme to the character arc of Anakin 'Darth Vader' Skywalker. Also note that his last name can in itself be considered a nod to his dualistic, yet angelic nature.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Now do Jar Jar Binks!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

FrensaGeran posted:

Now do Jar Jar Binks!

He is a racist caricature of black people.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Krowley posted:

Is that the one where a green dude roofies Leia?

Yes.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Paladinus posted:

Comparing black people to aliens is wrong. Nice job, racist.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paladinus posted:

But why? We know that George Lucas did everything on purpose, so why did he include a racist caricature as a major character in Star Wars?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

temple posted:

Comparing black people to aliens is wrong. Nice job, racist.

Say that to George Lucas.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Guy Goodbody posted:

But why? We know that George Lucas did everything on purpose, so why did he include a racist caricature as a major character in Star Wars?

He didn't like black people at the time. Then he grew to like black people and helped creating Red Tails.

In a way, George Lucas himself went through a character arc similar to that of Darth Vader.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

temple posted:

Any time you start to love mike remember, John Carpenter films suck.

Someone hasn't seen Dark Star.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

King Vidiot posted:

The extended edition is still my favorite cut because it was the first version I saw, on VHS. It's a shame that Romero doesn't like that cut and the Ultimate Edition is, I think, the only way to get that cut on anything higher-def than VHS. So I'm clinging tight to my Ultimate Edition DVD until they release a blu ray of the extended cut (which will never happen).

Same here! My dad introduced me to Dawn of the Dead after seeing me play Resident Evil 2, and we went to...Sunco? Got some kind of Dawn of the Dead special VHS pack edition that had either Peter or Roger wearing a gas mask on the cover. Still got that specific tape somewhere.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I liked Night of the Living Dead but never saw the other two.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So why is Dawn of the Dead so hard to find/out of print?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The finale of Dawn of the Dead is great and the end credits are my favorite in any movie ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vdAV1XXJog
Also Dawn has a lot of great zombies, my personal favorite being the one who takes a rifle and spends the rest of the movie pointing the rifle to his head

spooky like this! posted:

So why is Dawn of the Dead so hard to find/out of print?
From Jay on the RLM forum "Richard Rubinstein, the producer, owns the rights to both this and Romero's Martin (his best movie) and he wants a ridiculous amount of money to license them."

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Guy Goodbody posted:

So the racist caricature of Jews wouldn't seem as obvious.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Lurdiak posted:

literally everything that can be said on the topic of zombie films being social commentary has been said at least 8 billion times and more eloquently than two alcoholics in milwaukee can in thirty minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The tone towards the horror/SF genres have changed a lot in the last dozen or so years to the mainstream and the academic crowds.

10-15 years ago, saying that Dawn of the Dead was a good film or had any sort of social commentary would likely be viewed with just mocking contempt in anything like an academic or mainstream circle. Now today we're fascinated and obsessed with those genres as the new hipness.

I don't know if the transition from slow zombies to 'fast zombies' was the missing ingredient that helped get it over, something that finally connected with people post-9/11 and early 2000s wars, etc.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 26, 2016

• Locked thread