Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

stevewm posted:

Earlier this morning the primary ISP serving our "datacenter" (small closet, lolol) had their main and only trunk line coming into town severed. While we do have a emergency backup connection, it is Frontier DSL at 3/768.... Our users are having one hell of a day trying to squeeze everything through 768Kbps connection! I've had to restrict our stores to running only a handful of registers to keep from saturating the connection.

Several cellphone providers also apparently also share this trunk line, so basically the entire town is cutoff.. Only landline phones and Frontier DSL is working. Cellphones through both Verizon and Sprint, internet (though said ISP) and cable TV is out entirely.

The ISP told me they have to replace some half mile of fiber due to the damage, and it doesn't help that it is along the side of a steep hill.

What do you want to bet they cheaped out when laying the fibre and there was no slack in the cable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What do you want to bet they cheaped out when laying the fibre and there was no slack in the cable?

Highly likely....

The area where the break is at is currently closed to traffic due to the road sliding off the hill side. They have had it closed for over a month now trying to repair it. One of the state contractors apparently broke the line in multiple places when they started digging and also pulled on it. Leading them to have to replace a large section of it and re-route it at the same time.

We'll be lucky if its working by tomorrow.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

DigitalMocking posted:

Need a bunch of systems for a test build we're doing. Desktop support tells me we have 8 dell 9020s available, and I haul them to my workbench to start loading linux and docker and all that dev poo poo they need. Power the first one on, beep beep beep. Open the case, no memory or HDD. They had all been stripped, no one knows where the memory or SSDs went.

Maybe someone had the bright idea of setting up replacement computers with the old drive in there too so the user can move their files over when it's convenient for them! This turns into stuff being on both drives and you now need 3 bays if the old drive survives. Most often the drive will die before you need a 4th, but there is always someone that needs a 5th.

It is the worst and laziest migration plan. I've done it for family before because they bought an SSD and didn't have enough room for everything and just couldn't decide. There are reasons to do it, being lazy isn't one. Hopefully in a business you did had the foresight to go oh 256GB SSDs will work for everyone but 2 users and either get them a larger SSD or you do a mechanical secondary or a hybrid depending on their use case.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

stevewm posted:

Earlier this morning the primary ISP serving our "datacenter" (small closet, lolol) had their main and only trunk line coming into town severed. While we do have a emergency backup connection, it is Frontier DSL at 3/768.... Our users are having one hell of a day trying to squeeze everything through 768Kbps connection! I've had to restrict our stores to running only a handful of registers to keep from saturating the connection.

Several cellphone providers also apparently also share this trunk line, so basically the entire town is cutoff.. Only landline phones and Frontier DSL is working. Cellphones through both Verizon and Sprint, internet (though said ISP) and cable TV is out entirely.

The ISP told me they have to replace some half mile of fiber due to the damage, and it doesn't help that it is along the side of a steep hill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers

:sun:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

That would probably be faster than the "3Mbit" DSL...

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

pixaal posted:

Maybe someone had the bright idea of setting up replacement computers with the old drive in there too so the user can move their files over when it's convenient for them! This turns into stuff being on both drives and you now need 3 bays if the old drive survives. Most often the drive will die before you need a 4th, but there is always someone that needs a 5th.

It is the worst and laziest migration plan. I've done it for family before because they bought an SSD and didn't have enough room for everything and just couldn't decide. There are reasons to do it, being lazy isn't one. Hopefully in a business you did had the foresight to go oh 256GB SSDs will work for everyone but 2 users and either get them a larger SSD or you do a mechanical secondary or a hybrid depending on their use case.

That's possible, but I'm going to bet the desktop support manager who had sticky fingers and is no longer here might have appropriated the memory and SSDs.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

stevewm posted:

That would probably be faster than the "3Mbit" DSL...

Pretty rad latency tho, but actual throughput with the newer micro SD cards would be pretty sweet.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Wibla posted:

Pretty rad latency tho, but actual throughput with the newer micro SD cards would be pretty sweet.

You can establish the control connection for FTP over the DSL line, and then run data connections on a private IPoAC network.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Ugh, latest ETA is now 8PM...

If only Frontier wasn't using 20 year old DSL technology in this area, it wouldn't be nearly as big of a issue.

Of course, I guess using 20+ year old DSL tech is not that far fetched for a town that mostly only had party lines (remember those?!) available up until 1994 or so. At my parents house in that town, we didn't get a private line until 1995, because it simply was not available.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 24, 2016

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
poo poo PISSING ME OFF:

Dumb grumblings from the rest of the IT guys about how we need to get rid of the Macs in our environment because they're too much trouble to support and integrate with other things. Uhhhh... stop buying garbage product/system after garbage product/system.

But no, let's do that, let's go around and collect all the MacBooks, which are heavily favored with our executives and tell them that we can't handle it because they're just too tough to manage. Let's see how far that goes.

In all the time I have been here, of all the difficult things we've had to work with and over come, this is the thing that's triggered the loudest crying from my team.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

AlternateAccount posted:

poo poo PISSING ME OFF:

Dumb grumblings from the rest of the IT guys about how we need to get rid of the Macs in our environment because they're too much trouble to support and integrate with other things. Uhhhh... stop buying garbage product/system after garbage product/system.

But no, let's do that, let's go around and collect all the MacBooks, which are heavily favored with our executives and tell them that we can't handle it because they're just too tough to manage. Let's see how far that goes.

In all the time I have been here, of all the difficult things we've had to work with and over come, this is the thing that's triggered the loudest crying from my team.

That seems like a resume generating event for someone in the future. I can get not having an environment with macs and being asked to support them, but if they are already there then its too late.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Got sucked into a 4 day Lean event that has nothing to do with technology. :suicide:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

AlternateAccount posted:

poo poo PISSING ME OFF:

Being more incompetent than IBM Consulting is quite a shameful achievement.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

AlternateAccount posted:

poo poo PISSING ME OFF:

I mean generally I'd be a dumb grumbler when it comes to this situation, simply because unless you mean these people literally spec'ed out the systems themselves and brought them into an environment that was already Mac-heavy, they really DO tend to be a pain in the rear end to deal with from a central management perspective. Even with Casper/Munki or something, there's still a lot of annoying things to make them work with a on-premises software heavy Windows-centric environment (you want a private AD PKI? Enjoy importing that root cert by script on all Macs if you can get the script to work!), and it's not helped by Apple's uncaring development tactics, i.e. "we decided we're changing to this new hot thing and also by the way all this old poo poo you depended on in the OS to help manage the things is just now completely gone enjoy oh and also DFS still doesn't loving work 15 years later".

Actually I haven't had to deal with DFS on Sierra so maybe they finally got it to work after recovering from sleep and all the other fun things that didn't work on Yosemite and prior.

If it's cloud-systems based use i.e. all webapps all the time then sure, go nuts, but as I think I just said a few days ago in one of the threads, it's about the right tool for the right job, and generally speaking if you have a traditional AD environment with traditional enterprise software, Macs are not the right tool.

Edit: shows how much I've been paying attention, apparently Sierra is the newest version of OS X

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I've finally been broken as a professional and as a man.

An hour ago I was asked "Stripe are you into the cloud?"

I did not understand this question so I asked a few times for clarification. None was forthcoming.

I still don't know what he was asking. I probably won't sleep tonight.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You need to install the cloud to butt extension.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

An hour ago I was asked "Stripe are you into my butt?"
He was coming on to you.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I don't know how you guys can laugh at a time like this, what with this cloud out there apparently just roaming the countryside.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

quote:

date: Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 8:54 AM
subject: $$SUBJECT$$
$$OUTAGE_STATUS$$
$$OUTAGE_MESSAGE$$
$$TIMESTAMP$$

At least someone is having a worse Tuesday morning than me.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm curious what would happen if you called their bluff just by stating; "Yes"

EDIT:
Oh and minor stuff pissing me off: A messy file server share
Minor stuff not pissing me off: A tidied up file server share, with write access removed from the root directory :c00l:

Of course followed up by an URGENT USER MAILBOX STORAGE FULL URGENT RESOLVE NOW

Super Slash fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 25, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I've finally been broken as a professional and as a man.

I did not understand this question so I asked a few times for clarification. None was forthcoming.

I still don't know what he was asking. I probably won't sleep tonight.

The person asking doesn't get that the cloud is someone else's computer. They are asking if you have "cloud skills", if the company has anything "in the cloud" if the company is "part of the cloud" or if you think the company should "move more stuff into the cloud".

I use quotes because everything but the last one makes no sense if you know what the cloud is, and might as well go for broke!

Depending on the person I would have attempted to explain it, or said that question is too vague to properly answer narrow it down and email me.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Our company loves putting out free fruit for the tech department, except half the time it's browning and rotten. I suspect it's leftovers from executive meetings or something.

Just opened up a nice, ripe, brown orange. Uh, wait. :barf:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I don't know how you guys can laugh at a time like this, what with this cloud out there apparently just roaming the countryside.
I can laugh because I'm into it.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

You need to install the cloud to butt extension.

Someone needs to write a corresponding Cloud From Butt one.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

DizzyBum posted:

Our company loves putting out free fruit for the tech department, except half the time it's browning and rotten. I suspect it's leftovers from executive meetings or something.

Just opened up a nice, ripe, brown orange. Uh, wait. :barf:
:yum:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
My level3 line is showing 23% packet loss in the last 6 hours. THANKS

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BLOOD (orange) FOR THE (citrus) BLOOD GOD

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sickening posted:

Sounds like an improvement to me.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Oh, so it appears the group policy password exploits were across all objects? Now the option to save a password for any feature in active directory is removed? I don't want to script local admin password updates. Then I would have to manually run them or go back to draconian logon scripts. Ugh.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Thanks cisco, for putting a different cpu model in that replacement UCS blade. Not like I wanted to be able to migrate VMs to it or anything.

Thanks citrix, for having no documentation on your pool cpu feature set flattening. Nice to know you have to fully power down your VMs to pick up the changes, and not just reboot.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Thanks friend. While neither of those specific cases apply to me currently; I learned something today.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Sickening posted:

Oh, so it appears the group policy password exploits were across all objects? Now the option to save a password for any feature in active directory is removed? I don't want to script local admin password updates. Then I would have to manually run them or go back to draconian logon scripts. Ugh.

Does this thing help https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/mt227395.aspx

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

It probably does, I will check it out. I however did laugh at the drawing it had...

:cripes:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
That person does not know how to diagram.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Sickening posted:

77% is a passing grade!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

pixaal posted:

The person asking doesn't get that the cloud is someone else's computer. They are asking if you have "cloud skills", if the company has anything "in the cloud" if the company is "part of the cloud" or if you think the company should "move more stuff into the cloud".

I use quotes because everything but the last one makes no sense if you know what the cloud is, and might as well go for broke!

Depending on the person I would have attempted to explain it, or said that question is too vague to properly answer narrow it down and email me.
Yeah my first reaction when asked if I am "into the cloud" is "sure I love the internet, use it all the time"

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

instability at my job is pissing me off. I've complained about this a few times, but god drat, my "role" has changed probably 10 times in the last 6 months. I understand the need to adapt and update processes etc to make things run smoother, but there's something to be said for giving people stability. I'm so checked out at this job now because of this poo poo, all the fucks are gone, there are no more to be given.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Super Soaker Party! posted:

I mean generally I'd be a dumb grumbler when it comes to this situation, simply because unless you mean these people literally spec'ed out the systems themselves and brought them into an environment that was already Mac-heavy, they really DO tend to be a pain in the rear end to deal with from a central management perspective. Even with Casper/Munki or something, there's still a lot of annoying things to make them work with a on-premises software heavy Windows-centric environment (you want a private AD PKI? Enjoy importing that root cert by script on all Macs if you can get the script to work!), and it's not helped by Apple's uncaring development tactics, i.e. "we decided we're changing to this new hot thing and also by the way all this old poo poo you depended on in the OS to help manage the things is just now completely gone enjoy oh and also DFS still doesn't loving work 15 years later".

Actually I haven't had to deal with DFS on Sierra so maybe they finally got it to work after recovering from sleep and all the other fun things that didn't work on Yosemite and prior.

If it's cloud-systems based use i.e. all webapps all the time then sure, go nuts, but as I think I just said a few days ago in one of the threads, it's about the right tool for the right job, and generally speaking if you have a traditional AD environment with traditional enterprise software, Macs are not the right tool.

Edit: shows how much I've been paying attention, apparently Sierra is the newest version of OS X

I agree with a lot of this. It wasn't done right in the first place, and somehow they want to blame the platform for the lack of proper and thought out integration beyond buying a new MacBook and firing it up.

The AD PKI thing is part of the issue, which is a big PIA. DFS seems fine?

Being generally understaffed across the board, I understand that it's frustrating when you have to make accommodations and do "extra" work to get things running, but you've gotta get around thinking of it as EXTRA work. It's part of the job, so budget/plan/schedule for it. And hire people who know how to do it. A bunch of grumbly PC guys who have very thin MacOS knowledge are not going to be enough.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pissing me off today: Budget cycles.

I wonder if Admin Arsenal would give me a 60 day trial if I can guarantee that I would buy 2 enterprise licenses on the new year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Fool posted:

Pissing me off today: Budget cycles.

I wonder if Admin Arsenal would give me a 60 day trial if I can guarantee that I would buy 2 enterprise licenses on the new year.

If you aren't already using their software, the free versions are extremely robust and should give you a really good idea of what to expect before buying.

Edit: when I think about how many posts I've made of this forum over the years about PDQ Inventory/Deploy, I really shoulda worked a sales commission deal with Admin Arsenal or something :v:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 25, 2016