Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I guess more of a specific gripe than a peeve (though the peeve would generalize to 'when you rearrange your routine to do something that proves impossible for some unforeseen reason') but HOW THE gently caress DOES A BANK RUN OUT OF QUARTERS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

teenytinymouse posted:

I hate hearing about the poo poo American people have to go through to access something I take completely for granted, I'm sorry you guys :(

Just wait till they trash the whole system rather than regulate it like sane people

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Thrifting Day! posted:

Toddlers and their incredible, in built talent to hide things that you need.

Tv remotes and house keys especially.

I'm not a parent so maybe toddlers have superpowers I'm oblivious to, but uhh couldn't you just put those things somewhere out of reach? Toddlers are not known for their towering statures.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Noctone posted:

I'm not a parent so maybe toddlers have superpowers I'm oblivious to, but uhh couldn't you just put those things somewhere out of reach? Toddlers are not known for their towering statures.

Look at Mr. Special here whose kid isn't 200 feet tall + made of bronze

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Itchy nipples.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

docbeard posted:

I guess more of a specific gripe than a peeve (though the peeve would generalize to 'when you rearrange your routine to do something that proves impossible for some unforeseen reason') but HOW THE gently caress DOES A BANK RUN OUT OF QUARTERS?

I used to work at a bank, so I shall tell you (also because I guess it could count as a pet peeve, at the time)! :eng101:

Coin gets ordered in boxes from the armored car/vault company/whatever it's called. We only get to do this once a week, and the day is usually not under our control. Furthermore, we have to send out our money order generally 2-3 days in advance. After it's sent out, that's what we're getting. No changes allowed.

To add an extra complication, we couldn't just order a ton of money whenever, because the branch vault had to be kept under a certain amount or we'd get in trouble. So we'd have to take into account the huge deposits certain companies make, balanced with the huge withdrawals others make, predicting the future four days in advance.

So what would happen in our branch is we'd check our vault on Tuesday, decide we're pretty good on quarters since the local dirtbike track has closed for the season, and only add one box or something. Then on Friday, the dirtbike track owner comes in and says they're staying open one more week and need their usual order of a billion rolls of change and small bills. We mildly chew them out for not telling us, but have to fill the order and just kind of hope we have enough left to get us through to next Friday when we can get more coin (or that other branches will be able to cover us if we run out).

That was rare, but the same thing would happen with hundreds every payday-- we could never order enough to cover it without putting the vault over (they were strict about that), and when the 50th person comes in at 4:45 wanting to cash their entire check for $1478.43, EVERY WEEK we'd wind up having to just apologize and send them away with an obnoxious wad of fifties and twenties (assuming we also weren't out of twenties thanks to "I'm going out of country for a while, I'd like to withdraw $4000, twenties only please" guy).

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Noctone posted:

But toddlers are wily, unafraid, and crafty, which you cannot underestimate. If they really want something, they can figure out how to get it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Leavemywife posted:

But toddlers are wily, unafraid, and crafty, which you cannot underestimate. If they really want something, they can figure out how to get it.

Toddlers are literally Po: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWNb-PuRYGU

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

Today's pet peeve: men who seem to think that asking someone out after oogling them at the supermarket is perfectly normal. Today I noticed some guy staring at me while I was grocery shopping and at first I thought he was holding a grudge because I blocked the dairy section for what was admittedly an unreasonable amount of time (why do they hide the drat butter so well), but no. As I was unlocking my bike after paying, he approached me and said he saw me in the shop, thought I was "cute" and would I like to go on a date with him?

No. NO. What the gently caress? You saw me put eggs and butter in my shopping basket and hey, so did you - WE MUST HAVE SO MUCH IN COMMON QUICKLY I MUST ASK THIS PERSON OUT IMMEDIATELY LEST A SOULMATE SLIP AWAY. If you were an Adonis and I were single and hadn't gotten laid in decades, or ever, I might briefly have considered it out of pure desperation, but the answer would always be no. But you're at least 20 years older than me (but I look younger so you probably think you're at least 25 years older than me, gross), definitely can't rely on your good looks to get you through life and the majority of people in the world have ways of meeting people other than following complete strangers home from the supermarket. Has this ever worked for anyone? Do women try to pull this poo poo as well?

If this had been the first time it had happened I would have put it down to just some random weirdo, but it's not. I'm not some stunner that turns heads, I'm average looking - whether they ask me or the next young-looking woman who enters seems to be a coin toss. Dude, why is your dating strategy propositioning complete strangers as they happen to walk past?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Quantity over quality I guess

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards

Norrskensren posted:

Dude, why is your dating strategy propositioning complete strangers as they happen to walk past?

They know it'll never work, it's just a way to pass the time / creeping people out makes them feel powerful.

My pet peeve: men.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

God Over Djinn posted:

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Noctone posted:

Nothing is out of reach to a toddler. Like, genuinely.

My boy has piled toy boxes, chairs and basically whatever he can get his hands on to reach something that caught his eye

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Loud children on public transport.

You are trapped, and often have no defense, because loud children are WAY stronger than any headphones you might have brought.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hate shows like Chef's Table and Mind of a Chef that makes cooks look like gods. As if every dish they make is some miracle.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I hate shows like Chef's Table and Mind of a Chef that makes cooks look like gods. As if every dish they make is some miracle.

:agreed:

I am a cooking show junkie but I can't stand the worshipping poo poo, like obviously if you're paying top money you want the guys in the kitchen to make a big effort but it's just chopping things and finding things that taste good together and making it look nice it's not magic

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

God Over Djinn posted:

yall know I hate loud noises and everything so this isn't much of a surprise but today's peeve is the person who was across the street, sitting in their car and waiting for someone at 7:30am, and thought it was a great idea to blast loud bass-heavy music!! go to hell :mad:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Snoo posted:

yall know I hate loud noises and everything so this isn't much of a surprise but today's peeve is the person who was across the street, sitting in their car and waiting for someone at 7:30am, and thought it was a great idea to blast loud bass-heavy music!! go to hell :mad:

It's never, ever too early for the "car horn as a doorbell" people, either.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
I have a friend who's not white, whose name is almost identical to a common white American name, just with a slightly different vowel sound. Think like Jan vs. John. Without fail, every single white person I introduce him to immediately forgets his name and/or butchers it horribly in an attempt to make it sound more "ethnic". Like, adding entirely new letters and syllables. It's not even remotely a difficult name, and it's easier than a lot of the weird-rear end names suburban moms give their ~precious snowflake~ kids, but apparently if you're not white your name must sound like incomprehensible gurgling.

Bonus election pet peeve: I'm a lady in my late 20s. Lately, old men keep condescendingly trying to school me on poo poo that's on the ballot, or asking if I'm voting, if I even know anything about politics, etc. Yesterday I greeted a dude at work with "hi, how are you?" and he responded, "I'm just worried about this whole TAX SITUATION we got going on!" then, probably because I looked confused, smugly asked "don't you follow politics AT ALL?"

God Over Djinn posted:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
You do not discuss politics or religion at work. Customers, this means you, fuckers. We can't escape and if we disagree with you, it could cost us our jobs. gently caress you.

I was on the other end of it once, where a new server at the local Dennys popped in and started talking about Bernie Sanders. This came out of nowhere, after we had ordered drinks, and the dude would not shut the gently caress up about how Sanders was going to fix everything and Clinton was a bitch and Trump was insane and....dude. None of us care. A waiter is not going to sway our loving vote. Bonus points for the fact even the hardcore GOP supporters at the table said nothing but kept trying to order food because gently caress politics.

Peeve: people who can't loving tell time. If we agree to meet at 10am, and 1010 you're not there, and I text you, the reply should not be "omg sorry be there in 10." No, fucker, we said 10am, not 20 minutes later!

And then they show up at 10:30. But at the wrong address because they forgot which way north was.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Nettles Coterie posted:

I have a friend who's not white, whose name is almost identical to a common white American name, just with a slightly different vowel sound. Think like Jan vs. John. Without fail, every single white person I introduce him to immediately forgets his name and/or butchers it horribly in an attempt to make it sound more "ethnic". Like, adding entirely new letters and syllables. It's not even remotely a difficult name, and it's easier than a lot of the weird-rear end names suburban moms give their ~precious snowflake~ kids, but apparently if you're not white your name must sound like incomprehensible gurgling.

My coworker is a big brassy black lady with an easy-to-pronounce Japanese name, and our guests get totally addlepated over it. We've had people who only correspond with her via email coming in looking for "the Asian woman", people who talk to her over the phone who come in and ask for "Shaniqua", and people who just can't figure out how to pronounce it. It's a really simple name but every week it's "Hi, can I talk to Coco?" or "Hi, is Shiriko there?" like, if y'all can pronounce Tchaikovsky you can pronounce this easyass name.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

God Over Djinn posted:

They know it'll never work, it's just a way to pass the time / creeping people out makes them feel powerful.

Last night, two men came into the bar and before I could say, "Hi, are you here for dinner or drinks" one of them grabbed by arm to inspect my tattoo (people rarely ask, just grab). I pulled my arm away and told him he could seat himself (still with the hostess voice, mind you). Later, I went to the area they sat in to give them the late night menus and the one who grabbed me went, "And how are you?" in this tone that was clearly meant to be condescending.

Like, are you loving kidding? Nothing bugs me more than someone acting like a shithead and then getting mad at you for establishing a legitimate boundary.

Anyway, other content: When people ask you to do something and then expect you to come up with all the details. This relates to drawing and also hair.

"I want to commission you for a piece."
"Sure, is it in colour? What style are you looking for?"
"Uhm... I just want it to be good."

or

"What kind of style are you looking for?"
"Uhm... just like... shorter."
"An inch? Five inches? Bald?"
"[shrug]"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Cowslips Warren posted:

You do not discuss politics or religion at work. Customers, this means you, fuckers. We can't escape and if we disagree with you, it could cost us our jobs. gently caress you.

That goes the other way too. I was at a restaurant a couple weeks ago and the owner, after finding out we were Americans, spent roughly 20 minutes at our table talking about Trump, black people/black lives matter protests, and how stupid religion is. It was very awkward even though I mostly agreed with some of what he was saying. Just bring us the food, we came for dinner not a "america sucks" discussion session.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Gentle guilting. The kind that's subtle enough to not be able to call out.

Last week I posted on facebook that a very popular cruelty-free cosmetic brand was absorbed by another one, and therefore not cruelty-free anymore. My sister jumped in to say I should buy makeup from her kid's MLM, and I gently pointed out that they're not cruelty-free either. This is something she knows I feel strongly about. She comes back with "I was thinking more about supporting your niece with her business." Subtle jabs like that--using "your niece" instead of her name to subtly point out that we're family and should unfailingly support each other regardless of our personal ethics, and trying to get me to support an MLM I want nothing to do this because "family."

I have another friend--the one I posted earlier about upthread with all the kids who guilts me for not dropping everything to spend time with her when she comes to visit, despite the fact that her husband's family, who basically always has to tag along--is deplorable--wanted to get together a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately I had to cancel due to a severe injury that kept me in bed for two weeks. I finally ventured out yesterday to a friend's barbecue and was so wiped out I had to leave after three hours (of sitting and eating, not even dancing--I still can't walk). She snaps "good to see you out and about" as if I should have called her first. Now, that sounds like an innocuous friendly greeting, but I know how she means it--she's mad that I didn't call her right away as soon as I was able to get out the door, rather than attend my other friend's wedding first.

We all have people who are like this and it's frustrating. If you want something, use your words. We're adults. Which means I get to say no and you can't have a hissy fit about it. But they're crafty enough to not be complete dicks about it so I can't call them out. Or maybe the pain meds are getting to me and I'm being overly sensitive, which is equally likely. The pain and lack of mobility have made me grouchier than usual.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I hate that line and people use it all the time. Participating in a MLM is not "starting a business". After guilting family into giving a handout the money will disappear because the products are poo poo nobody wants, or at best is a decent product that costs twice as much as it should. Tell her she needs to teach her daughter the difference between starting a business and being conned into selling garbage.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Gentle guilting. The kind that's subtle enough to not be able to call out.

Last week I posted on facebook that a very popular cruelty-free cosmetic brand was absorbed by another one, and therefore not cruelty-free anymore. My sister jumped in to say I should buy makeup from her kid's MLM, and I gently pointed out that they're not cruelty-free either. This is something she knows I feel strongly about. She comes back with "I was thinking more about supporting your niece with her business." Subtle jabs like that--using "your niece" instead of her name to subtly point out that we're family and should unfailingly support each other regardless of our personal ethics, and trying to get me to support an MLM I want nothing to do this because "family."

I have another friend--the one I posted earlier about upthread with all the kids who guilts me for not dropping everything to spend time with her when she comes to visit, despite the fact that her husband's family, who basically always has to tag along--is deplorable--wanted to get together a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately I had to cancel due to a severe injury that kept me in bed for two weeks. I finally ventured out yesterday to a friend's barbecue and was so wiped out I had to leave after three hours (of sitting and eating, not even dancing--I still can't walk). She snaps "good to see you out and about" as if I should have called her first. Now, that sounds like an innocuous friendly greeting, but I know how she means it--she's mad that I didn't call her right away as soon as I was able to get out the door, rather than attend my other friend's wedding first.

We all have people who are like this and it's frustrating. If you want something, use your words. We're adults. Which means I get to say no and you can't have a hissy fit about it. But they're crafty enough to not be complete dicks about it so I can't call them out. Or maybe the pain meds are getting to me and I'm being overly sensitive, which is equally likely. The pain and lack of mobility have made me grouchier than usual.
That reminded me of how I was recently unfriended by my cousin. Thank god the burden has lifted. She lives in the same town as my boyfriend, about 3 hours away. She can't understand that when I'm there, I'm not always going to hit her up because I literally have just the two days there and want to spend all of that time with my boyfriend. Add in the fact that she's super flaky and any plans made with her end up costing you the entire day. She has a man too, but she gets to see him everyday. She doesn't understand how this is different.

On top of that she is adamantly into pseudoscience bullshit and we don't have much to talk about besides her problems, which are very clearly going to get worse or be exchanged for new problems. I tried to explain to her that I'm not very social when she last guilted me about "family" and spending more time together, because that's the truth. Sorry cuz I just want to be alone with my guy.

I feel pretty lovely about it. But talking with other family it seems like she is an emotional vampire and I'm not just being a self centered rear end in a top hat.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

docbeard posted:

HOW THE gently caress DOES A BANK RUN OUT OF QUARTERS?

They're dealing in ounces and keys.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My coworker is a big brassy black lady with an easy-to-pronounce Japanese name, and our guests get totally addlepated over it. We've had people who only correspond with her via email coming in looking for "the Asian woman", people who talk to her over the phone who come in and ask for "Shaniqua", and people who just can't figure out how to pronounce it. It's a really simple name but every week it's "Hi, can I talk to Coco?" or "Hi, is Shiriko there?" like, if y'all can pronounce Tchaikovsky you can pronounce this easyass name.

Through sheer coincidence, I know a half-Japanese, half-black woman who goes by Coco so that her name is more pronounceable and I'm going to love sharing this with her.

Edit: her name is Candice so I have no idea.

The North Tower has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Oct 24, 2016

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Someone asks me a question, and while I'm trying to answer they constantly interrupt with further questions before I can even finish a single sentence. I'm no good at hiding irritation, so I ask them to please let me finish explaining one thing before they ask another, as it's kind of annoying and not very productive. "Oh yes, sorry, please do carry on."
Then they keep on loving interrupting everything I say.
:argh: HULK SMASH!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I'll admit that I interrupt my students a lot, but only because I can sense when they're in a "just saying words to fill time" feedback loop where they won't shut up until I make them. Don't tell me about your vacation last week or how slow your computer is, just answer the question of whether you have anything to show me this week. Even though I was in the same position several years ago, the obnoxious stalling techniques are incredibly transparent and very annoying. Just tell me you got too drunk the past weekend and didn't work on your project. That I can deal with. Several minutes of rambling fluff where you pick numbers out of the air doesn't do either of us any good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When people want to disagree with someone but not come across as confrontational so they start by finding anything at all, however small, that they can agree with and lead with that before moving on to what they actually want to say. Specifically, in online discussions for university courses, where every other post seems to begin "I agree," before going on to contradict everything the previous poster said.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
"You're STILL sick?"

rear end in a top hat, we had this discussion last week. I don't have the common cold. It's bronchitis and it takes about 2-3 weeks to clear. Oh, and I can't take medication during the workweek because the nondrowsy poo poo makes me fall asleep within minutes. Guess what? Most everyone is loving sick right now, so even if I weren't hacking, something else would get me!

And people who insist their "natural medicine" will cure. No, I don't think eating those "natural pills" will help. I checked the ingredients. Most of it is sugar.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Mother

loving

fruit

flies

AAAAAAAAGGH

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

DarkCrawler posted:

Mother

loving

fruit

flies

AAAAAAAAGGH

The Executioner

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

Mother

loving

fruit

flies

AAAAAAAAGGH

Fruit flies don't bother me at all anymore compared to the scourge of lovebugs and mosquitoes. Florida is the worst for a lot of reasons but the top reason is Bugs.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Over-sharing co-workers. Listen, lady, I don't want to be an rear end but you're forcing me there: I don't want to hear your litany of health problems, stories about how hosed up your children and grandchildren are, or anything related to anything about your Dumpster Fire of a life. If I wasn't pinned next to you in this training if have bailed 5 minutes in.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Cowslips Warren posted:

And people who insist their "natural medicine" will cure. No, I don't think eating those "natural pills" will help. I checked the ingredients. Most of it is sugar.

I was camping with friends one summer, and was taking antihistamines for my hay fever. Even so, I was still sneezing and had annoyingly itchy eyes and ears. A friend, who was a bit of a hippy, only wanted "natural" "remedies" and was taking homeopathic hayfever pills. He looked like he was going to die because the pollen count was so high and the sugar pills didn't even manage to act as a placebo.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

areyoucontagious posted:

Over-sharing co-workers. Listen, lady, I don't want to be an rear end but you're forcing me there: I don't want to hear your litany of health problems, stories about how hosed up your children and grandchildren are, or anything related to anything about your Dumpster Fire of a life. If I wasn't pinned next to you in this training if have bailed 5 minutes in.

Coworker: UGH, my 5-year-old is driving me CRAZY!
Me: *mentally prepares to listen to another 10-minute humblebrag about her 12 kids, rich husband and giant house*
Coworker: She peed on my phone today! And she keeps humping everything!

:stonk:

I also loving hate it when people explicitly ask for my help/advice, but then when I give it, act like I don't know what I'm talking about and go completely against everything I say. If you're so loving sure you're right, why even ask in the first place?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nettles Coterie posted:

I also loving hate it when people explicitly ask for my help/advice, but then when I give it, act like I don't know what I'm talking about and go completely against everything I say. If you're so loving sure you're right, why even ask in the first place?

That is so annoying. Especially when they come to you to ask if you think their own idea is good/workable and you explain in detail why you think it isn't, and they just go "OK, well I'm going to do it anyway." If you've already decided to do it, just do it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

In those cases they are just looking for validation of their idea, not earnest advice. If it's at work though, definitely tell them it's a stupid idea if it is because if it fucks something up, they will say "but ____ approved it!" if you just say "sounds great" to make them go away and now it's your fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Some days no matter how careful I am putting it in my menstrual cup just keeps poking my insides, it is the most infuriating low level irritant and I'm going to loving snap in a minute and start loving free bleeding

(I won't do this)

Cowslips Warren posted:

I actually think this poo poo should be criminal.