Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
tbh a cop or cops looking the other way when Frank "breaks out" every time a hero brings him in is pretty within the realm of possibility. I imagine Tough On Crime Man would be pretty popular among a certain segment of police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ashikan judan posted:

tbh a cop or cops looking the other way when Frank "breaks out" every time a hero brings him in is pretty within the realm of possibility. I imagine Tough On Crime Man would be pretty popular among a certain segment of police.

That's pretty much what happened during season 2 of Daredevil on Netflix.

Eventually, someone is just going to let Frank out, no matter what prison you put him in, he has too many sympathizers in-universe (and is too popular in ours) to stay locked up for long.

edit: But I would enjoy reading a whole Punisher arc about him being locked up, just to watch him handle criminals that are ordinarily out of his reach.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 25, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right doesn't that arc end with the discovery that Ireland ran out of potatoes decades ago and now all their potatoes are actually made out of rice?

Yes it does, the entire economy is based on something that ran out years ago, good story.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The Lone Badger posted:

Fanwank: There's an underground cloning facility somewhere cranking out Franks. Every time one gets gunned down or stuck in an inescapable prison another is released from the facility to continue the Punisher.

This is literally a manga, except they're teenagers, and instead of street criminals and mafia peeps, they murder thinly-veiled caricatures of real Japanese political and economic figures.

Before I read it, I think I would have been stumped by the question "how could you make a Punisher concept edgier?"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ironically enough, the Noir version of Punisher is a teen with a skull mask, but that comic is way less edgy than regular Punisher because Kid Punisher doesn't want to be a revengeful murderer, he's just forced into it.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Not to mention how tough it would be, once Frank was in custody, to prosecute him. He doesn't leave a lot of evidence behind*. And what, some spider guy in a mask (who is also a wanted criminal when the story demands) is going to testify?

* sure, shell casings and dead bodies. but dead bodies don't talk and I'm sure Frank, after all this time, is rather careful with regards to prints and linking rounds to weapons and so on.

Now that I say it, CSI: Marvel sounds kinda interesting...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ferrule posted:

Not to mention how tough it would be, once Frank was in custody, to prosecute him. He doesn't leave a lot of evidence behind*. And what, some spider guy in a mask (who is also a wanted criminal when the story demands) is going to testify?

* sure, shell casings and dead bodies. but dead bodies don't talk and I'm sure Frank, after all this time, is rather careful with regards to prints and linking rounds to weapons and so on.

Now that I say it, CSI: Marvel sounds kinda interesting...

Frank leaves a shitload of evidence behind. His blood and hair is probably over a dozen crime scenes a month alone.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Kwyndig posted:

edit: But I would enjoy reading a whole Punisher arc about him being locked up, just to watch him handle criminals that are ordinarily out of his reach.

There was a Punisher storyline called The Cell that was pretty much exactly that.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Well, if former cop Frank is still popular within the police/has sympathizers, I could definitely see some prosecutors turning a blind eye. The state's attorney office really need to be on a cop's good side since they work together so often.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

nerdman42 posted:

Well, if former cop Frank is still popular within the police/has sympathizers, I could definitely see some prosecutors turning a blind eye. The state's attorney office really need to be on a cop's good side since they work together so often.

He was only a former cop in the Thomas Jane movie.

He's a former marine or green beret in everything else. So, you know, White Male Veteran. For extra US media points. He's like a right wing mastubation dream spilled onto the comic pages.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

Frank leaves a shitload of evidence behind. His blood and hair is probably over a dozen crime scenes a month alone.

With the way he narrates about killing criminals I'd bet there's some other types of DNA evidence there too.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
You know, when you have to construct a fantastical underwater prison cell just to hold one guy indefinitely, maybe it's time to reconsider lethal injection. I mean, the taxpayer's expense alone!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It's the comicverse, a lethal injection is as likely to give a person superpowers as it is to kill them. Especially if they already have powers.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Or turn them into an evil ghost. Fancy underwater cells just facilitate Hannibal Lecter-type the enemy of my enemy is my friend exchanges, they don't produce evil ghosts. The ROI is good.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Android Blues posted:

Or turn them into an evil ghost. Fancy underwater cells just facilitate Hannibal Lecter-type the enemy of my enemy is my friend exchanges, they don't produce evil ghosts. The ROI is good.

Yeah you don't want to do that either.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Regarding comic books and executions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6avH3_8FYQ

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ferrule posted:

In Up Is Down and Black Is White he intentionally lets one person lives to talk after his murder sprees.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
But I doubt that guy is running to the DA.

And any physical evidence he leaves behind probably wouldn't be enough to convict.

Ferrule fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 25, 2016

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Is there post-mortem about the Thomas Jane Punisher movie? Because oh my god that scene where he stands in front of City Hall, and just, the whole thing, the entire plot, oh my god what were they thinking.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

FAT BATMAN posted:

Is there post-mortem about the Thomas Jane Punisher movie? Because oh my god that scene where he stands in front of City Hall, and just, the whole thing, the entire plot, oh my god what were they thinking.

There is am explanation for that scene!

When I watched it in the cinema, it bothered me so much why he did that, because as it was the world thought he was dead so it would be perfect for waging his war on crime. Why does he blow it by going to the police?

In the Director's Cut there was a plot line where Frank goes looking for the mole in the Police who linked Frank I'D to the gangsters.

Him going to City Hall was part of Frank figuring out which Cop sold him out. He later stresses the guy into committing suicide.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
There is probably a secret government agency who finds having Frank alive and loose more useful than being dead or in prison and has been quietly helping him do so for years.

A lot of plausible deniability when you can blame a known vigilante for taking out a bunch of criminals without trials or red tape.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

There is probably a secret government agency who finds having Frank alive and loose more useful than being dead or in prison and has been quietly helping him do so for years.

A lot of plausible deniability when you can blame a known vigilante for taking out a bunch of criminals without trials or red tape.

yeah its SHIELD pretty much

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Fury was pretty openly supporting him for a while at least.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ferrule posted:

Not to mention how tough it would be, once Frank was in custody, to prosecute him. He doesn't leave a lot of evidence behind*.

He's killed thousands of people in broad daylight, on camera, while a wearing distinctive shirt. He's tortured and left living hundreds of low-ranking stoolies after announcing his intent to murder people with the information they give him. He's repeatedly admitted to law enforcement that he will never stop murdering people and that he has no remorse for doing so. He's often used custom weaponry only he has access to. He's bled over countless crime scenes. He rarely wears gloves.

The only way he could leave more evidence of his crimes is if he left a skull marking made of his own sperm at the scene of every hit.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That would be an interesting take on the Phantom's skull ring mark.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JediTalentAgent posted:

That was the plotline to the 80s mini "Circle of Blood." Frank was in prison but this ultra-right wing group that thinks he's doing good stuff helps to arrange a breakout. Once he's out of prison they supply him with new weapons and gear. Of course everything goes south when it turns out they want to use the Punisher as a model for their brainwash death squad after they have a coup and take over.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

spooky like this! posted:

That was the plotline to the 80s mini "Circle of Blood." Frank was in prison but this ultra-right wing group that thinks he's doing good stuff helps to arrange a breakout. Once he's out of prison they supply him with new weapons and gear. Of course everything goes south when it turns out they want to use the Punisher as a model for their brainwash death squad after they have a coup and take over.

Was it the Watchdogs?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I assume that's USAgent during that period he replaced Cap? :ohdear:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

spooky like this! posted:

I was about to ask if anything like that had happened. I know there was that What If... some shady group wanted Frank to kill off all the heroes/villains.

Have we had a Batman-grade conspiracy with Frank, yet?

Something like where it turned out, "No, Frank, you've been groomed for years to be Punisher, your family's death wasn't an accident, it was actually carefully arranged as to seem random... Since you were a Marine recruit, you were special. Some powerful people recognized your skills and your potential, they made sure you had the training and the strength for when the time came. They knew all it would take for you to go after the scum of this world was to give you a reason and nothing left to lose."

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I was about to ask if anything like that had happened. I know there was that What If... some shady group wanted Frank to kill off all the heroes/villains.

Something like where it turned out, "No, Frank, you've been groomed for years to be Punisher, your family's death wasn't an accident, it was actually carefully arranged as to seem random... Since you were a Marine recruit, you were special. Some powerful people recognized your skills and your potential, they made sure you had the training and the strength for when the time came. They knew all it would take for you to go after the scum of this world was to give you a reason and nothing left to lose."

If what happened at the end of the Born mini-series is canon, and not just some poo poo Frank imagined to cope with surviving the hell that was Firebase Valley Forge and Vietnam in general, then you could put forward that this everything that happened to Frank was on purpose and set into motion long ago by something. However it wouldn't be a person or multiple persons, most likely it would be some entity like a Mephisto that did it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

For a hot minute they retconned every bad thing in Punisher's life as being carefully orchestrated by invisible demons, including his suicide being literally a demon pulling the trigger for him.

Cactus Jack posted:

If what happened at the end of the Born mini-series is canon, and not just some poo poo Frank imagined to cope with surviving the hell that was Firebase Valley Forge and Vietnam in general, then you could put forward that this everything that happened to Frank was on purpose and set into motion long ago by something. However it wouldn't be a person or multiple persons, most likely it would be some entity like a Mephisto that did it.

That was very, very obviously meant to be Death speaking to Frank.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Lurdiak posted:

That would make sense. Been awhile since I read it, and I just remembered it was something talking to him and him making a deal. Typically that is a devil in stories.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if any supernatural entities really cared that much about frank castle, then he probably would have ended up as a ghost rider. but then, everyone prefers to ignore the period he spent as an angel.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Frankencastle was a great time tho`

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Frankencastle was a great time tho`

except for how he was killed by daken of all people. daken!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The name Frank has ceased to have all meaning. It's just a sound that's made, or a blur on the screen.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

They do a callback to that in Moon Knight; I forget if it was the first Ellis run or the one after it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

JediTalentAgent posted:

Wouldn't this make Shadow Manipulator Man the actual author of all evil, and cast all the criminals of the world as mere bit parts compared to someone that vicious?

What I'm saying here is that the Punisher would then go kill that person. Which could be kind of cool.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Frankly, all this Punisher talk is getting tiresome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zeeman posted:

Also in honour of Steve Dillon, the best Punisher panels:

My favorite use of that bottom panel was actually in the PS2-era Punisher game. The level select was Daily Bugle newspaper clippings. The level in the zoo was that panel with the headline: "Punisher Assaults Polar Bear, Makes Children Cry."