Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

Hey now, C&C and co are perfectly alright games. I'm not a fan of M44 but the system is good:

C&C and Co are alright. Memoir 44 is boardgaming for babbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

tomdidiot posted:

Get out. Amateur.

Pretty sure pulling out Reluctant Enemies for a 9 year old wouldn't work out very well..

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

And how is Paths of Glory? I know it's pretty strictly 2 player but it looks really drat fun.

I like it although others say that Pursuit of Glory is better (can't comment on that myself). The system is really good though.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Tekopo posted:

Thousands of years in the future archaeologists will.still try to decypher what that post means.

Yeah. Why those people won't just play a clean and elegant game like Fields of Fire?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Paths of Glory is a good game, it just has some flaws that you have to be aware of. It's the first CDG to play this kind of war and it shows. Pursuit(and Illusions, which is coming) of Glory have some significant improvements.

I think PoG could really use a new edition with a refined set of rules and cards to make it more appealing for the Entente to bring in countries, more plausible for the Russian Revolution/US intervention to happen. It would be interesting if US intervention was more of a double-edged sword.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

If we start getting exclusionary we'll end up no better than the BGG forums. Please don't let this happen.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Lord Frisk posted:

If we start getting exclusionary we'll end up no better than the BGG forums. Please don't let this happen.

No, there'll still be #girl to separate us from the animals.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

INinja132 posted:

I like it although others say that Pursuit of Glory is better (can't comment on that myself). The system is really good though.

Pursuit does look pretty sweet, but maybe I'll hold out for Illusions anyway.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Trynant posted:

Good squad tactics games use swingy dice (or virtual card dice in Combat Commander's case) to some of the best effect I've seen dice used for. As much as Advanced Squad Leader invades the thread, one thing I feel needs more praise is how the dice never feel boring in that game without resorting to some Stephen Feld'esque compromise of making every roll be valid. Admittedly many great war games do this, but I'm always taken aback at both how random and yet how interesting ASL and CC stay.

Totally agree with this. The dice can be painful at times but from what I've seen the best players still win games through wily tactics despite them. Luck always plays a part in actual engagements and overcoming it in a game makes it super satisfying.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

he1ixx posted:

Totally agree with this. The dice can be painful at times but from what I've seen the best players still win games through wily tactics despite them. Luck always plays a part in actual engagements and overcoming it in a game makes it super satisfying.

Yeah, this is a consistent thread through all good tactical board games. X-wing, ASL, Battletech, all have highly variable results on dice rolls, which really lends itself to creating those dramatic moments that seem to typify these games. You gotta learn to love the variance.

I'll plug Last Blitzkrieg again as being kind of a weird hybrid of an operational game, but has some kooky tactical elements that end up working pretty well. Mainly, I'm thinking of the SNAFU rolls. You might have a battalion all set up for a big push on a key element of the enemy line.... and then roll failure on SNAFU. Someone forgot to requisition ammo or their trucks broke down or who knows what but they're not going to be there in time when the battalions on their flanks make their own pushes. I love games that can generate that "oh god oh god oh god oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo" feeling. If I can't quote Sherman at least once a session, then that wargame has failed, imo.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Trynant posted:

Good squad tactics games use swingy dice (or virtual card dice in Combat Commander's case) to some of the best effect I've seen dice used for. As much as Advanced Squad Leader invades the thread, one thing I feel needs more praise is how the dice never feel boring in that game without resorting to some Stephen Feld'esque compromise of making every roll be valid. Admittedly many great war games do this, but I'm always taken aback at both how random and yet how interesting ASL and CC stay.

Combat Commander Europe manages to be chaotic without being hideously swingy because, barring someone getting popped by a sniper during the resolution of a fire attack, it sticks slavishly to the two-step units. You'll never have a roll that just wipes out a hex worth of guys. The suppression markers sort of help with this as well. Couple that with the fact that the deck normalizes the "dice" results and you actually have a fairly static board state for all the randomness.

Now Pacific throws this out by being able to one-shot units by doubling their morale. It's also listed as an optional rule for Europe in C3i, but I wouldn't play with it.

Really the only random thing in CC that I think can be really game altering is getting smoke-capable artillery as a reinforcement, especially as the Americans. You can just smoke up the board and go for melee kills. Of course there is always the threat of an untimely breeze so it's not s sure thing.

ASL has the whole roll better to kill more dudes thing, but I think that's kind of necessary given the difference in scale. You really need to stack a platoon worth of counters in a hex to get the really deadly rolls but that puts you in a rather vulnerable position yourself and of course the implications of that open up a whole realm of tactical considerations.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

What are the good solitaire games these days, ideally with a playtime of 4 to 8 hours? I tend to prefer my wargames on the abstract strategic side with less die rolling so I am picking up A Distant Plain -- I know the solitaire play is a little wonky but now I'm really interested in this stupid Soviet War expansion. I guess Mage Knight is a possibility too.

Mage Knight (get Lost Legion quickly), Thunderbolt Apache Leader, Space Empires 4X, Navajo Wars. For shorter ones (and non-wargame) I've particularly enjoyed Race for the Galaxy (the Gathering Storm), Viticulture, Agricola.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is Axis and Allies: War at Sea any good?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
S2 War of Rats - Turn 1

The German force has begun its push forward on west side. The 8-1 stack was able to pop smoke and make it into the street before being fired upon. Went Berserk and charged straight into the building to finish off the Russian squad in CC.

Both sides missed a lot of shots at units in buildings and the Russians used their APh to consolidate into some stacks. Hopefully they can punch through the German line with their combined FP.

Turn 1 Casualties

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I P500'd Field of Fire. Screw the haters.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Phi230 posted:

Is Axis and Allies: War at Sea any good?

No.

I was "lucky" enough to win a free copy of it, and it's nothing like historical naval battles. Ultimately ww1/2/modern naval games are very hard to simulate well, and they degrade into "who rolls better" games at the tactical level. Operationally can be different, but war at sea is just a cash grab.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

rchandra posted:

Mage Knight (get Lost Legion quickly), Thunderbolt Apache Leader, Space Empires 4X, Navajo Wars. For shorter ones (and non-wargame) I've particularly enjoyed Race for the Galaxy (the Gathering Storm), Viticulture, Agricola.

Since Navajo Wars is out of print, you might want to keep your eye on Comancheria, the sequel by the same developer, which is due for release December 2016 from GMT. I P500ed it.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Just picked up Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg! for $50, already punched and clipped. My first monster game (unless U. S. Civil War counts).

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Sea chat: Second World War at Sea by Avalanche Press is pretty accessible. It has both operational and tactical scale (a battle board really). It's definitely a bucket of dice system and may lack the depth some are looking for. Nice counters though.

The group that did Harpoon also did a WWII minis-set called Command at Sea. A bunch of the books are available at wargame vault. Never got into it personally however.

http://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/7981/Admiralty-Trilogy-Group
http://www.wargamevault.com/product/146524/Command-at-Sea-4th-edition-2nd-printing?manufacturers_id=7981

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Has anyone played Angola (mmp) it is coming up on sale and looks intriguing

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
God drat it why'd you remind me about that sale, I don't want to spend money

(yes i do)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I bought the latest versions of Beyond Valor and Yanks, to upgrade my first edition copies.

Clipping... clipping never changes...

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

Has anyone played Angola (mmp) it is coming up on sale and looks intriguing

Multiplayer wargames are automatically awesome. It looks promising for sure!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

I bought the latest versions of Beyond Valor and Yanks, to upgrade my first edition copies.

Clipping... clipping never changes...

Ok CC, you need an intervention. All that time spent clipping could be spent on the hundreds of scenarios you havent touched yet! :P

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Stickered Julius Caesar and Eastfront 2 tonight, I really love those huge rear end Columbia blocks. Hoping to get a JC play next weekend and maybe EF2 in a few weeks. Any tips?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Pursuit does look pretty sweet, but maybe I'll hold out for Illusions anyway.

If you don't have it already Twilight Struggle on Steam has an AI opponent, though you might find it a bit easy depending on how good you are at TS already

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Man reading the articles on Pendragon really made me reconsider my views on the game. It looks pretty goddamn good.

Also I think it is widely held that Paths of Glory is superior to Pursuit of Glory. Pursuit is a lot more fiddly, has a tons of exceptions and is heavily event-reliant, to the extent that it can be impossible for the Ottomans to win if a particular card does not pop up in time. On the other hand, all the fronts within Pursuit are important (although I've never really seen Gallipoli ever happen), the combat is more interesting because you don't have a ton of LCUs everywhere and need to hold places with SCUs. Also the Russian Revolution always happens.

I think of all of them I actually prefer Crusade and Revolution but that's purely because the SCW interests me more.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

(although I've never really seen Gallipoli ever happen)

Ah the good old problem of 'how do you make the player make historically accurate mistakes

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ok CC, you need an intervention. All that time spent clipping could be spent on the hundreds of scenarios you havent touched yet! :P

I have 3 email games going right now, plus I'm playing face to face on Wednesday.

WORRY NOT FRIENDS, I'm actually playing this stupid game I love.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
So, I spent the weekend trying to go through a scenario. I found a classic ASL scenario pack on MMP's site, and started Scenario A, Guards Counterattack. To teach myself, I read through the basic rules and then watched several youtube vids on the phases. Then, I cracked open the Readable ASOP and just started grinding through it. I'm sure I missed some things (like I didn't realize HGFL was even a thing until I was reading an example for defensive fire).

That being said, I'm hooked, it's good stuff. The scenarios are like bite-sized morsels of "wargame" that are a lot more digestible than most of the stuff I enjoy getting wrapped up in.

I wish there was a digital archive of ASL Journals. Not necessarily for the scenarios, although that would be cool, too, but there are a few articles I'd like to check out, like ASLJ9, there's an article about attacking buildings and whatnot.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Man reading the articles on Pendragon really made me reconsider my views on the game. It looks pretty goddamn good.

Also I think it is widely held that Paths of Glory is superior to Pursuit of Glory. Pursuit is a lot more fiddly, has a tons of exceptions and is heavily event-reliant, to the extent that it can be impossible for the Ottomans to win if a particular card does not pop up in time. On the other hand, all the fronts within Pursuit are important (although I've never really seen Gallipoli ever happen), the combat is more interesting because you don't have a ton of LCUs everywhere and need to hold places with SCUs. Also the Russian Revolution always happens.

I think of all of them I actually prefer Crusade and Revolution but that's purely because the SCW interests me more.
Yeah the four+ front nature of Pursuit really feels great as a game since you have to decide where to spend your points every card. If only Parvus could be guaranteed T4 or 5.
Also on WGR once I discovered that I must have been the first person to attempt even moving units around Gallipoli: http://i.imgur.com/Ue81C.png. That started with a single unit. To be fair I think that was a real early beta version.

FebrezeNinja fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 24, 2016

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!

Finster Dexter posted:

So, I spent the weekend trying to go through a scenario. I found a classic ASL scenario pack on MMP's site, and started Scenario A, Guards Counterattack. To teach myself, I read through the basic rules and then watched several youtube vids on the phases. Then, I cracked open the Readable ASOP and just started grinding through it. I'm sure I missed some things (like I didn't realize HGFL was even a thing until I was reading an example for defensive fire).

That being said, I'm hooked, it's good stuff. The scenarios are like bite-sized morsels of "wargame" that are a lot more digestible than most of the stuff I enjoy getting wrapped up in.

I wish there was a digital archive of ASL Journals. Not necessarily for the scenarios, although that would be cool, too, but there are a few articles I'd like to check out, like ASLJ9, there's an article about attacking buildings and whatnot.

The Guards Counterattack is a classic scenario, and a great one to learn the system with. (If you're unfamiliar, it was the first scenario in Squad Leader, John Hill's 1977 game (of which ASL is a "continuation"). A guy named Jim Stahler wrote a series of tutorial documents a while back that might be useful. This was originally published in an issue of Avalon Hill's magazine, The General, I believe. I'm not sure how useful it will be for someone who doesn't know SL, but it should at least direct you towards the section of the rules you should concentrate on the most. As a bonus, I believe it uses all old SL scenarios that can be downloaded for free in ASL form from MMP's website. You can grab the tutorials here: http://texas-asl.com/download/Stahler_ASL_Tutorials.zip

Also, I feel your pain about the Journals. There are tons of articles in them that I would love to read. Hopefully MMP will offer cheap PDF versions of them in the future.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Finster Dexter posted:

The View From the Trenches journal (a UK fan one) has all their issues online so that might scratch some of the itch: http://www.vftt.co.uk/vfttpdfs.asp

That site also has a link to all the old The General magazines in fact: http://www.vftt.co.uk/ah_mags.asp?ProdID=PDF_Gen

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Welp, I've played over 600 games of Titan (against human opponents) over the last 18-months and I still ain't sick of it!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Welp, I've played over 600 games of Titan (against human opponents) over the last 18-months and I still ain't sick of it!

Holy moly...

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
If only there was a Titan Pro Gaming Circuit. I've got about 40 concurrent games going on right now. God bless the Titan HD iPad app -- it's fantastic.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh my god, Lone Canuck's St. Nazaire: Operation Chariot module has an enormous HMS Campbeltown counter, I NEED THIS

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Something has me wanting to learn The Last Blitzkrieg and BCS now simply because it has less OCS style bean counting.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Panzeh posted:

Something has me wanting to learn The Last Blitzkrieg and BCS now simply because it has less OCS style bean counting.
Isn't that the best part of OCS. Also me and goon iNinja will tackle Reluctant Enemies tomorrow. Probably. AAR to follow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

COOL CORN posted:

Oh my god, Lone Canuck's St. Nazaire: Operation Chariot module has an enormous HMS Campbeltown counter, I NEED THIS

Oh no my Campbeltown counter is broken