Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Brannock posted:

Are the Jets pressed for cap space? Otherwise it's idiotic to trade away a 25 year old burgeoning star for a first round pick so you can gamble on drafting a young burgeoning star.

What do you recommend they do with him then? At the moment they've been playing him at, what?, MLB? They've got too many good guys at his position. Might as well keep the cheaper one and try to get something for Sheldon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Brannock posted:

Like remember when Percy Harvin was traded for a first round pick? Putting Harvin's personality and team-fit issues aside for a moment, the Vikings used that first round pick to draft Percy Harvin's replacement, who went on to bust after several years of coaching and investment.

First round picks aren't as valuable as young players who are confirmed to be actually good at football.

This is an...well it's an insane trade to use to try to make this point. Patterson sucks for sure but the only upside for the Seahawks is Harvin was injured/ineffective/enough of a head case that they cut bait after a year.

e: I mean come on, Patterson while a huge bust has been a more effective receiver and returner than Harvin has been since that trade happened. He also is still in the league. If you have a point here I assume it's that teams should cut people sooner.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 25, 2016

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I can't stop thinking about WestWorld, a great TV show, and m'boys the Chiefs, who go on the road to Indy this week

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Gynecolojustice posted:

its not even close

Wrong...the NFCE doesnt have a team below .500.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

CyberPingu posted:

The 3-4 Chargers would probably win against all 4 NFC East teams, even with their top 5 best players hurt

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Gynecolojustice posted:

I can't stop thinking about WestWorld, a great TV show, and m'boys the Chiefs, who go on the road to Indy this week

I haven't watched West World yet. My impression was that a bunch of manchildren live out their darkest fantasies in a horrifying dream world. Kind of like when I play Madden and I set Roethlisberger's INJURY stat to 1 and then blitz him all day.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
The upside was that he played a big role in pooping on Denver, he was the rushing leader with only two carries and had that kick return. Sure, regular season had him doing lovely bubble screens constantly but he worked when it mattered.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Vhak lord of hate posted:

The upside was that he played a big role in pooping on Denver, he was the rushing leader with only two carries and had that kick return. Sure, regular season had him doing lovely bubble screens constantly but he worked when it mattered.

The regular season had him playing 1 game in that particular year! Yes he did well in the Super Bowl, and that's...it. All of it.

If you could trade a first round draft pick for a super bowl win--even if the Seahawks would have won that game easily like I think they would have--I think we'd all do it. I just figure we can agree that was pretty damned random and not something that you can expect. If you want to expect it I'll take a first for Tyreek Hill right now who, aside from personality, I really like as a player.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Gynecolojustice posted:

The 3-4 Chargers would probably win against all 4 NFC East teams, even with their top 5 best players hurt

Incorrect...the Chargers cant play through the 4th

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

What is west world

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ehud posted:

What is west world

A place where all your dreams can come true, except the dolphins being good.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Ehud posted:

What is west world

Badass creepy show on HBO with Anthony Hopkins, that non-Mcgowan chick who was engaged to Marilyn Manson, Thandie Newton, Ed Harris (as an evil monster), that Guy who played Tina Fey's husband in 30 Rock who constantly gets murdered, and the Hemsworth brother who got hosed in the genetic lottery.

Also the lead McPoyle.

It loving rules.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
And Jeffrey Wright

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ehud posted:

What is west world

Imagine a place where McMagic can finally give it to those enemies of Rutgers athletics.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Gynecolojustice posted:

And Jeffrey Wright

Yeah I forgot his name and was too lazy to look it up but he's awesome too. It has a better cast than most movies.

Edit:. And they can all probably catch better than the Eagles WR's

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

Imagine a place where McMagic can finally give it to those enemies of Rutgers athletics.

Alternatively, a place where McMagic can be right

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

CyberPingu posted:

The NFC east isn't the AFC

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

a neat cape posted:

The NFC east isn't the AFC

He edited your quote when posting to say in the NFL

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Spoeank posted:

Cian Fahey is a hot take cannon who chooses to die on the most random hills (Tanne, for example). He also shows one random RG3 throw from before he broke and goes "you're basically functionally retarded if you don't want him as your QB" then blocks you if you disagree.

Yuuuuup pretty much.

It's frustrating because I still basically believe in the main thing they actually do, which is DVOA and the stuff that derives around that. It makes sense and isn't wacky complicated (It is good to get N+ yards on 3rd down when you need N yards! These are the teams that are good and bad at doing that!), but the guys around it have taken a little nibble of arguing from authority and jammed it down everyone else's throat without stopping to examine their own statements.

West World is extremely good and helped me learn there are multiple Hemsworths.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

November 1st is the trading deadline and as far as I know Torrey Smith is the only player on the block

Thomas from the Browns, Staley from the 49ers

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I generally agree, but there are a bunch of little subjective decisions deep in DVOA that make it more questionable. Like IIRC it caps the contribution of certain kinds of big plays, which then implicitly favors offenses built around lots of short passes gaining 5-7 yards a play rather than deep threats. And its definition of success is very binary, which is strange in a continuous scoring system. And its defensive compensation is very heavy-handed.

Still, overall it's interesting.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
There was a rumor that the Browns have stated anyone on their roster except Pryor is available for trade

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kalli posted:

Quick reads: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2016/week-7-quick-reads

Feels like the bottom for DYAR is just a giant pile of suck this week.

What kind of garbage rear end rating system has Brock as not the worst this week?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Badass creepy show on HBO with Anthony Hopkins, that non-Mcgowan chick who was engaged to Marilyn Manson, Thandie Newton, Ed Harris (as an evil monster), that Guy who played Tina Fey's husband in 30 Rock who constantly gets murdered, and the Hemsworth brother who got hosed in the genetic lottery.

Also the lead McPoyle.

It loving rules.

That is not the guy who was Tina Feys boyfriend / the guy in the insurance commercials

It's the dude who played cyclops in xmen and is in a billion rom coms, James Marden

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Tina Fey's 30 rock character dated both the All State Insurance guy (Dean Winters), and Cyclops (James Marsden), Marsden is in WW

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Diva Cupcake posted:

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/790942430036127744
Sheldon Richardson to the Colts for a 1st and Brandon Marshall to the Chiefs for a 2nd. I take those both immediately.

Ah yes, the annual rite of speculating on a bunch of trades before the deadline followed by a whole lot of nothing happening

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Gynecolojustice posted:

You are mistaken, sorry.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Gynecolojustice posted:

There was a rumor that the Browns have stated anyone on their roster except Pryor is available for trade

I thought Hue said that Joe Thomas is untouchable.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Amy Pole Her posted:

That is not the guy who was Tina Feys boyfriend / the guy in the insurance commercials

It's the dude who played cyclops in xmen and is in a billion rom coms, James Marden

I said husband. Watch the later seasons, they get married.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Brockenstein posted:

What kind of garbage rear end rating system has Brock as not the worst this week?

Brock was incompetent but didn't throw any interceptions, and it looks like their quarterback evaluation doesn't take in account fumbles. So Brock was just a total nonentity for the Texans but didn't actively drag down the game like Barkley/Kaepernick/Flacco/Keenum/Bradford did

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I swear to God, if Grigson trades away another 1st round pick.....

Now a 2nd? That's another thing entirely.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

CyberPingu posted:

Incorrect...the Chargers cant play through the 4th

They sure did on Sunday

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Also re: Maclin, he's a better down field blocker than all four of our tight ends, three of which are dogshit.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Diva Cupcake posted:

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/790942430036127744
Sheldon Richardson to the Colts for a 1st and Brandon Marshall to the Chiefs for a 2nd. I take those both immediately.

Spoeank posted:

Hey Bad Moon to answer your question in the week 7 thread we're apparently asking for a first for him so it's not like you guys use those anyway

I mean, if we can get Joe Thomas for a second I'd rather do that than risk a Baalke sleeper agent.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

rjmccall posted:

I generally agree, but there are a bunch of little subjective decisions deep in DVOA that make it more questionable. Like IIRC it caps the contribution of certain kinds of big plays, which then implicitly favors offenses built around lots of short passes gaining 5-7 yards a play rather than deep threats. And its definition of success is very binary, which is strange in a continuous scoring system. And its defensive compensation is very heavy-handed.

Still, overall it's interesting.

For sure. I'm not going to get into the weeds on it, it's more a thumbs up conceptually to something that seems like it's worth doing paired with guys in the same orbit who are so slavish to the theater of their pet creations they will disavow their own statistical output when it clashes with other analyses.

Honk Honk it's the Air Yards siren

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Ladarius Greene off PUP, and practicing for the 1st time, ever, since signing with the Steelers in April.

:hellyeah:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

What the gently caress Titans/Jags on Thursday

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Also:

https://mobile.twitter.com/steelers/status/790974381291925504/photo/1

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

shyduck posted:

What the gently caress Titans/Jags on Thursday

nfl doing everyone a favor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Giants apparently have poo poo out Brown.

• Locked thread