Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Tekopo posted:

This actually reminded me that I should snap up a copy of 1844/54 before it goes out of print, because I do like the game (well, I like 1844) and also because I'm swiss.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEJ-1844-1854-Switzerland-Austria-Mayfair-Games-Board-Game-/371762761028?hash=item568ec98d44:g:5OgAAOSwknJXyghS has a pretty ridiculous ding and dent price on it right now (7 copies left, works out to $46 with shipping for me which is like 50% off MSRP and 40% off even what MM is selling it for).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

T-Bone posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEJ-1844-1854-Switzerland-Austria-Mayfair-Games-Board-Game-/371762761028?hash=item568ec98d44:g:5OgAAOSwknJXyghS has a pretty ridiculous ding and dent price on it right now (7 copies left, works out to $46 with shipping for me which is like 50% off MSRP and 40% off even what MM is selling it for).

401 games in Toronto also has 11 in stock at about eighty Canadian dollarydoos

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Thanks guys for the suggestions, ordered some stuff online.
Coincidentally I just bought the gears of war boardgame for $56 (Canadian), never thought I'd have a chance to play this since it was loving $250 everywhere on Amazon last I looked.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Thanks guys for the suggestions, ordered some stuff online.
Coincidentally I just bought the gears of war boardgame for $56 (Canadian), never thought I'd have a chance to play this since it was loving $250 everywhere on Amazon last I looked.

now see if you can find a reasonably priced copy of the Gears of War expansion...

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Snakes and Lattes has a podcast for boardgame newbies, The Snakescast. I don't know if it's the sort of thing people here would regularly listen to, but I like it to keep some perspective on where I am in the hobby. They just released a couple episodes for their top 10 recommendations for people completely new to boardgames.

Part 1
10 - Ghost Blitz
9 - Timeline
8 - BuyWord
7 - Cockroach Poker
6 - A Question of Scruples

Part 2
5 - Chicken Cha Cha Cha
4 - Billionaire Banshee
3 - Good Cop Bad Cop
2 - Tiki Topple
1 - Forbidden Desert

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Tekopo posted:

Oh yeah, I've played lots of 18XX :)

1860 is a smaller game, primarily because of the maps, and tends to do better with lower number of players. The issue I have with 1860 (and why I sold it) was because it felt extremely fiddly to me and I hated the visual design of it. Apart from that it's a pretty decent low player count game. I honestly haven't played it recently enough to really remember how it plays, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have nationalization like 1856.

Currently my collection is 1856, 1853 (which I like, gently caress the haters), 1870, 1830, 1844/54 (soon) and 1824.

EDIT: I think Lorini/taser should be able to elucidate more on 1860 since they've played it recently/actually like it.

Nope sold mine in favor of 1862 by the same guy. Far more interesting to me.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Lorini posted:

Nope sold mine in favor of 1862 by the same guy. Far more interesting to me.
I like 1862 but I'm put off by the graphic design. The plus of 1862 is the variable setup that gives a lot of variety to the game. Would recommend if you can find a copy.

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!
Current 18xx collection: 1830 (both versions), 1856, 1870, 18OE, 18AL, and 2038, with 1846 and 1844/1854 on the way and an 1889 PNP in the works.

18xxs I've played: Half of 1830.

My gaming group sucks and/or I have a problem.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Oh poo poo I forgot 18oe, I have that as well.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

T-Bone posted:

That dude has also got Arkwright for $35 + shipping if you missed out on the preorder http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEJ-Arkwrig...%3D371762761028

e: I think if I xmas splurge on an 18xx it will be 1817. Short selling sounds like such an interesting mechanic.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 26, 2016

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

T-Bone posted:

e: I think if I xmas splurge on an 18xx it will be 1817. Short selling sounds like such an interesting mechanic.

The people I play 18XX with really get off on the financial shenanigans aspect, and it sounds like 1817 is the apex of financial shenaniganry. I suspect one of us (read: me) will end up getting it at some point, but it's pricey even by 18XX standards....

Thanks for the ebay link by the way. In addition to 1844/54 he had a scratch n dent copy of 1853, which I was just inquiring about in this very thread. :shepspends:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Are there any 18xx games good with (or specifically designed for) two player?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Huxley posted:

Are there any 18xx games good with (or specifically designed for) two player?

1860, 1825 units 2 and 3, with the typical caveat of "if you can find them".

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Spectral Rails is 5 bucks at cool stuff right now. It looks like garbo, but I said the same thing about Gears of War and apparently I was wrong. Any thoughts on this guy before I pass it up?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Blech, I've passed on a couple of game nights now just because of a bad session. I know I should just get out again but uuuuuugh.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Has Tekopo really turned to comparing aesthetical qualities of 18XX games?

Because that's some deep end, man.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Synthbuttrange posted:

Blech, I've passed on a couple of game nights now just because of a bad session. I know I should just get out again but uuuuuugh.

Everyone has those. Solutions can range from "let it slide" over "talk about it" to "sever". Need more information.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dominion game with one guy going all in as ultra village idiot and the other cursing us until the curse deck was emptied in a game with no trashing. They then agreed that the game wasnt that enjoyable played like that, so we went another round.

Where they did the same thing again.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sounds like you should have Big Moneyed them out of the game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

T-Bone posted:

That dude has also got Arkwright for $35 + shipping if you missed out on the preorder http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEJ-Arkwrig...%3D371762761028

Arkwright is a very good game.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Dominion game with one guy going all in as ultra village idiot and the other cursing us until the curse deck was emptied in a game with no trashing. They then agreed that the game wasnt that enjoyable played like that, so we went another round.

That is hilarious

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lichtenstein posted:

The pea green used in 1846 is a different hue than the pea green in 1854 and that makes me upset.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Couldn't you have just... changed the kingdom cards? Instead of blaming a guy just for playing Cursers if they're on the table.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lichtenstein posted:

People here were upset with the FCM graphics. I can see this happening over some lines on a colored background for hexes too.

I think the solution is to go all out Densha De D with them aesthetically with wild 90s street racing graphics and have characters talking about multi-track drifting in the rule book.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 26, 2016

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

ya if I get the chance to curse someone in dominion and it's advantageous to me, you're God drat right im gonna curse them

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

ya if I get the chance to curse someone in dominion and it's advantageous to me, you're God drat right im gonna curse them

I find cursing to be impolite. I buy my opponents Duchies.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Always
Be
Cursing

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

You know that more than one player is allowed to buy Witches, right?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
If you were to play witches back, you would be no better than your opponent. A witch for a witch makes the whole world blind.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
If spamming Witch is wrong, I don't wanna be right

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

CaptainRightful posted:

You know that more than one player is allowed to buy Witches, right?

Familiar :unsmigghh:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The best Dominion games are those where the final scores are something like 3, 2, -1 and -2.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Ojetor posted:

The best Dominion games are those where the final scores are something like 3, 2, -1 and -2.
When the game ends because estates, curses, and ill-gotten gains are depleted.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Alchemy: not even once.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
What are people's thoughts on Scoville and its expansion? It looks adorable and the mechanics appear interesting.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
I got the XCOM board game awhile back, and finally had time to take it out for a spin. Played it with a couple different groups, and had a great experience each time. None of the mechanics are particularly deep, but the app's randomization and countdown timer really helps make it a frantic, enjoyable experience, especially as the difficulty level cranks up.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Idea for a COIN game: XCOM Enemy Within

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

FulsomFrank posted:

What are people's thoughts on Scoville and its expansion? It looks adorable and the mechanics appear interesting.

It's an okay game I don't particularly care for. We just played it Monday, using the Labs expansion. It's a game that requires a lot of guessing what the other players are going to do and planning your turn around it, which I am fairly terrible at. The actual mechanics are good, clear, and simple. I personally don't feel like they add up to a great game, but the rest of my group definitely enjoys it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I played Viticulture last weekend, and even though our friend who taught us the game hosed up like half the rules re: harvesting and processing grapes, it was still pretty fun. A-, would try again after I read a PDF of the rulebook so I can audit this dude's statements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

FulsomFrank posted:

I really like Scoville. Once people get the flow of the game down, it moves a good pace, has just enough 'Oh, gently caress you' moment in the game to make some things tense toward the end, and the look is really good at drawing in new players. It's one of the few games I have played where 5 players went faster than 2 players (but that may just have been the people i played with and not the game itself). No idea about its expansion, though.