Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hey I painted a Northkin Shaman, more poo poo I'll probably never play :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
Feorachat: I just remembered that Incite is all FF models now, so Feora 3 may get some cool uses out of Deliverer Skyhammers and/or Zealots. Chuck a bunch of AoEs from downtown with deliverers, or get a +4 swing on blast damage with zealots. And with high Arm she won't care if a blast deviates her way.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Amateur Sketch posted:

Feorachat: I just remembered that Incite is all FF models now, so Feora 3 may get some cool uses out of Deliverer Skyhammers and/or Zealots. Chuck a bunch of AoEs from downtown with deliverers, or get a +4 swing on blast damage with zealots. And with high Arm she won't care if a blast deviates her way.

Sadly that's not how incite works :/

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

PaintVagrant posted:

Sadly that's not how incite works :/

Wait, why not? It's just +2 to attack and damage rolls against enemy models. I don't see why an AoE wouldn't count.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Well, its enemy models in Feora's command. So its not really a buff for long range guns is what I am getting at. Zealots would take good advantage I suppose, but not deliverers.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

PaintVagrant posted:

Well, its enemy models in Feora's command. So its not really a buff for long range guns is what I am getting at. Zealots would take good advantage I suppose, but not deliverers.

Yea, assuming CMD 9 like her other forms, it's a really great spell that forces you to be in an unsafe position to use. Unlike Thyra who can Carnage, move forward, and Gates of Death at the end of Turn, Feora is going to be stuck out in the danger zone.

Honestly I think a lot depends on how good her feat is, either offensively so that + Incite is a game-winner, or defensive enough for her to survive after a mediocre incite turn.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Fyrbrand posted:

Hey I painted a Northkin Shaman, more poo poo I'll probably never play :cool:

That looks awesome by the way.

Also, I'm just getting into Warmachine after playing 40k and Malifaux previously (among other things). I'm still trying to get a hand on just how to judge what's a good model, base statlines, etc. Is there some starter guide put together anywhere? Also, mercenaries-how can you tell when to use them? I see a lot of them in lists but I never know why exactly they're being picked/not picked.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Well, first, there is no such thing as a bad model, only an overpriced one. Second, the generic baseline stat would be a move of 6, MAT, RAT and Strength of 5, Def and Arm of 12. The generic soldiers hit each other on average 50% of the time.
Mercs are pretty easy: their card tells you for which faction do they work for. They are, however, when fielded, not part of your faction persee, which means abilities which states "Faction Friendly" do not apply to them. Otherwise they are like any other units. A fait few of them are characters with rather unique abilities, or can bring something a faction has no access to.
Mercenaries 'jacks and Minion 'Beast can only be used by a warcaster/warlock of their faction, though.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

The enemy model has to be in command, not the attacking model. You can lob rockets into her command range from 16" out and still get the RAT and Pow buff from Incite.

You could probably get another decently accurate CRA on an Incite target, since they'd be starting from RAT 3 instead of 1.

Edit: If you're concerned about putting Feora too far ahead I guess that's valid, but keep in mind she has 4 more Arm than the only other caster that has this spell, and if her previous versions are any indication, she's probably just fine wading into combat.

Amateur Sketch fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 23, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Amateur Sketch posted:

The enemy model has to be in command, not the attacking model. You can lob rockets into her command range from 16" out and still get the RAT and Pow buff from Incite.

You could probably get another decently accurate CRA on an Incite target, since they'd be starting from RAT 3 instead of 1.

Edit: If you're concerned about putting Feora too far ahead I guess that's valid, but keep in mind she has 4 more Arm than the only other caster that has this spell, and if her previous versions are any indication, she's probably just fine wading into combat.

We are saying the same thing :) I just don't see myself taking a range 16 unit to shoot things in my casters cmd range.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Man I just traded away my Menoth and now a super slick warlady is coming out who can make Deliverers, my favourite bros, good again. :(

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

This Feora probably also has Reposition 5 since she is on a horse.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

mp5 posted:

Which still doesnt help the "very far forward for incite" problem as Reposition is during your activation.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

Yeah, the main benefit of Incite is all after your activation. She probably only wants to cast it on a big assassination run, since it's over half her focus stack. That or she can reposition backward and cram a bunch of chaff between her and any threats.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

mp5 posted:

I'd guess she's gonna be a repo 3 based on her ARM value.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Remembering reposition is such a pain. Played Kreoss3 with idrians yesterday and didn't reposition once.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Amateur Sketch posted:

Yeah, the main benefit of Incite is all after your activation. She probably only wants to cast it on a big assassination run, since it's over half her focus stack. That or she can reposition backward and cram a bunch of chaff between her and any threats.

She'll be casting it every turn after the first if her stats are like her previous two incarnations. With a hierophant and/or wracks, she safely camps 2-3 focus per turn with 15/17 for defensive stats. The cavalry reposition plus incite makes me think she'll be an aggressive scenario caster with a preference for being 5~8'' behind your front line. If she keeps her heavy flamethrower (since it looks like she still has apocalypse???), she'll be making hit & run attacks with a sp10 pow 14, rat 7 weapon. There's no reason not to take Hand of Judgement, so there's also some funny business to be had there.

The real question is is if there's any reason to take infantry not named Idrians with her =O

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm gonna be trying to ease a new player into the game tomorrow, which I've never done. He's expressed interest in asphixious3 who I know nothing about. What does gaspy3 do? What's his game plan? What sort of list should I play into it for an even, dynamic game?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

xiw posted:

Remembering reposition is such a pain. Played Kreoss3 with idrians yesterday and didn't reposition once.

*eye twitches*

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Jimmy Hats posted:

I'm gonna be trying to ease a new player into the game tomorrow, which I've never done. He's expressed interest in asphixious3 who I know nothing about. What does gaspy3 do? What's his game plan? What sort of list should I play into it for an even, dynamic game?

Gaspy3 brings Ashen Veil which is nutty on Satyxis Raiders. They're basically DEF 18 against ranged and immune to blast damage, screaming 14" up the field turn one. Mobility became a lot less of a trap spell in conjunction with the general MK3 warjack buff and his bringing Unyielding as a Field Marshal. He's got a good DEF/ARM debuff ready to go, and is fairly resilient to odd shooting and assassination runs. So far in Mk3, I've been pushing Raiders and my faster warjacks hard and then feating turn 2-3 while camping Gaspy somewhere close to the action. Get your opponents jammed, throw your debuffs where you need to, eat them up while threatening a huge focus stack Gaspy.

My current list is as follows:

Gaspy3
-Seether
-Seether
-Barathrum
-Deathripper
Ogrun Bokur
Saxon Orrik
Bloat Thrall
Soul Trapper
Bane Warriors
Satyxis Raiders
-Satyxis Sea Witch

Seethers run 16" under Mobility and throwing one into an AD ranged unit on my first (game second) turn is hilarious. Bokur hangs out around Gaspy or the Seether duo, whichever is needed. Orrik helps with Pathfinder on Raiders and has a dece gun.

The only part of the list I'm unsure on is the Bane Warriors. Getting that -2 ARM is nice, especially on top of Gaspy's debuff, but they're pretty vulnerable if they don't have a forest or a hill. Might come out for a Bloat Thrall Brigade + whatever else (another Bloat, Bloat character).

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
I really like gaspy3 with the following:

Asphyxious the Hellbringer - WJ: +24
- Vociferon
- Cankerworm - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Barathrum - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 15)
- Deathjack - PC: 23

Necrotech - PC: 2
Darragh Wrathe - PC: 9
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor - PC: 5
Wrong Eye - Wrong Eye & Snapjaw: 17
- Snapjaw

Satyxis Raiders - Leader & 9 Grunts: 16
- Satyxis Raider Sea Witch - PC: 3

With this setup the Raiders are incredibly resilient under whipping winds, especially if backed up with mortal fear, star-crossed, and orins spellfield. It doesn't hurt too having a lot of advanced deploy. I've won a number of games by popping feat into an obvious assassination run and dropping all my defensive tech of gaspy3 and letting him heal. I've healed for 30 hp in more than one game. Barathrum at least in my meta seems to draw a lot of effort so he tends to tie up more than 15 points as people fall on themselves to kill him, all while getting jammed by superbuffed raiders and dj running wild. Dj feels overpriced in some games and in some others he punches a colossal off the table.

I'd like to get an inflictor into this list but I haven't found a good way.

I've paired him up with a really cookie cutter denny1 list (deathripper x2, nightmare, wtc, witches, nyss, aiakos 2x stalker, overlords) which handles a lot of the field too.

One question though, what is it that lylyth3 does that supports a gun line that denny2 doesnt? I get why denny2 is maligned but I look at l3 and can't really figure out what she brings other than a huge base to shoot at.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

xiw posted:

I've been playing some Harkevich jackspam and forget it a lot as well.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

lokipunk posted:

One question though, what is it that lylyth3 does that supports a gun line that denny2 doesnt? I get why denny2 is maligned but I look at l3 and can't really figure out what she brings other than a huge base to shoot at.

She can move up 12", feat, fire 12" more up with 3 shots at rat 8 that freeze then she can move back 5. Then the rest of her army fires ranged poo poo that also freezes.

Denny can't get as far up and doesn't get to fire 3 shots herself, Cryx also doesn't really have much of anything beyond ranged 12 and most of it isn't high pow.

That's what I'm getting from looking at the card currently, although I've never seen it in practice.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Saalkin posted:

She can move up 12", feat, fire 12" more up with 3 shots at rat 8 that freeze then she can move back 5. Then the rest of her army fires ranged poo poo that also freezes.

Denny can't get as far up and doesn't get to fire 3 shots herself, Cryx also doesn't really have much of anything beyond ranged 12 and most of it isn't high pow.

That's what I'm getting from looking at the card currently, although I've never seen it in practice.

Fair enough, I was probably just comparing feat to feat and getting confused. I haven't gotten many games into legion.

I'm sad that denny2 got binned so hard. She was one of the first two minis I bought (along with Skarre1) right before her feat got gutted.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Saalkin posted:

Lylyth3 can also swift hunter herself to kill a few dudes for extra distance and then animus snipe herself to shoot 16 instead of 12. Basically if you're on the board she can shoot you.

Also, windwall is a real good spell. Lylyth3 is the real deal

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Amateur Sketch posted:

Skyhammers will never be useful. Privateer Press hates them.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

xiw posted:

I never have a problem with reposition.

Apparition though, I might as well not even take those models.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Just stopping by to say the Cinerator kit is a piece of junk even by Privateer's low standards for plastics.

Glad I got them on sale at least.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
So I got into Cryx at the start of Mark 3 from some folks getting out and finding a few good deals on Ebay. I've discovered that I actually really like their warjack-focused casters (Mortenebra and Venethrax have been a blast, it feels a bit like I'm playing Doomshaper2 with warjacks), but I want to start expanding into Cryx infantry and the more general casters. I've got a truckload of Bane warriors, knights, and riders, a min unit of bloodgorgers, and Blackbane's raiders, but that's it. Are mechanithralls or the satyxis worth picking up/useful? I'll probably end up grabbing it all eventually, but if there are some better pieces than others I'd rather grab them sooner.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Satyxis are crazy good.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Raiders are crazy good, blood witches are good too but not crazy good

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Gaapy1 runs troops pretty well. Goreshade3 is pretty good with cavalry. I have a hard time justifying both flavors of banes outside of lists designed to deliver them (coven with 2 units of bane wars with ua is surprisingly effective)

Mechthralls aren't as bad as the fb group would have you belive but they still aren't very good. Our recursion got adjusted probably too far back but can work as jamming and road blocks. The birds are probably better for it. I really want to like the bloodgorgers but I haven't found any list that I like with them. 30 pow 11 cryx models with unyielding armour 18 and bloodthirsty and overtake (and berzerk with slaughterborn)is amazing but they get shot off the table immediately with 12 Def 16 arm and mk3 tough. They're one of my favorite units.

lokipunk fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 25, 2016

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I am playing in a team event on saturday and we're running this

http://conflictchamber.com/#b90z6I4Acu6v6x5U7y

Skorne Army - 35 / 35 points

(Rasheth 1) Dominar Rasheth [+28]
- Cyclops Savage [8]
- Mammoth [38]
Extoller Soulward [3]
Void Spirit [4]
Paingiver Beast Handlers (min) [5]
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor [5]

And

http://conflictchamber.com/#b30z7b7w0d9v7R7W7T8tdH

Khador Army - 35 / 35 points

(Zerkova 1) Koldun Kommander Aleksandra Zerkova [+28]
- Behemoth [24]
- Juggernaut [12]
- Sylys Wyshnalyrr, The Seeker [4]
Winter Guard Infantry (min) [7]
- Winter Guard Rocketeer (3) [6]
- Winter Guard Infantry Officer & Standard [4]
Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich [4]
Gobber Tinker [2]

Gonna be a simple ARM debuff + shoot things to hell dealie. Should be fun!

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Ahahaha you are bringing a mammoth in a 35 point army. Should be hilarious.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Help. I bought a number of trolls for fire sale prices. My wife may murder me. What do I do?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Help. I bought a number of trolls for fire sale prices. My wife may murder me. What do I do?

strike first and get a divorce

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

waah posted:

Ahahaha you are bringing a mammoth in a 35 point army. Should be hilarious.

We're both on the field at the same time so it's really a 70 point army + 2 battlegroups

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Once Crossroads season 2 ends, I'm running the Mk1 Kings, Nations, Gods campaign for my group. Should be fun.

Very little needs to be changed, really. Instead of a 500 point game for Act 1 it's going to be 25 points, and instead of 1000 pt 2-caster it's going to be 50pt 2-caster. I'm using the mk1 structure rules. Solos are 1 vp, units and lights 2, heavies 3, casters and huge bases 5. I'm dividing the points by 10 to get mk3 points whenever it gives discounts or whatever. Only thing that I really need to change is Butcher's sidequest, his reward is -1 to all enemy command stats and that's not really relevant in mk3.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
I've decided that the range game is too complicated and fiddly at this point with my "I've played six games since mk1" skill set. I'm gonna go full melee all the time. I'm just gonna play Kreoss 3 and shove horses down people's throats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

AnElegantPeacock posted:

I've decided that the range game is too complicated and fiddly at this point with my "I've played six games since mk1" skill set. I'm gonna go full melee all the time. I'm just gonna play Kreoss 3 and shove horses down people's throats.

A good choice.

---

Victor releases soon and I kinda wanna be the rear end in a top hat that runs this:

Harkevich
-Victor
-Victor
-Reinholdt
WG Artillery Kapitan
WG Artillery Kapitan
Widowmaker Marksman
Battle Mechaniks
Aiyana and Holt

4 siege mortars per turn that set everything on fire with 2 of them being able to re-roll deviations, stealth removal, magic granting, and an armor buff feat. gently caress yeah.