Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Miles McCloud posted:

I was in highschool when I played through FFVIII, and I think I was their target demographic. I really did like VI though, and if I do play another Final Fantasy it'll probably be the PSP version of IV.

That's a good plan, FFIV is a real classic and had a huge impact on the genre. As others said the PSP version is the best one too so good choice there!

I'd recommend trying to play VII at some point, if for no other reason than the ridiculous impact it had, and still has, on JRPGs in general. It's aged really badly in some ways but it's still a great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeah, FF7 definitely owns still. It's kind of amazing the technological leap between 7 and 8 too, like the detail of the player models and enemy models went waaaaay up.

Trabant posted:

edit: hell, plenty of people have assembled their own controller setups... I could roll my own too, I guess?

Honestly that's probably what I'd do. Buy a cheap mini Arduino, wire up a nice stick and buttons to it, and you'll probably be cheaper or comparative cost for a premade solution with better quality / your own design. I am not sure if any Arduinos can act as xinput devices, but I've used Leonardos before that can at least emulate keyboard and mouse.

I'm actually finishing up an analog dial project based on a mini Leonardo, using a rotary encoder from Amazon, whole thing probably cost me like $50 in parts. Just need to get the firmware right, I need to smooth the input a bit because it's a high resolution encoder, and after enough time the thing just stops working right, because I suck at programming apparently. :v:

e. it ruuuules playing Cameltry and Super Off Road with proper analog controls

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
You could use a Teensy, they're commonly used as a USB input device for Gameboy Zeroes, so it would definitely work for an all-digital joystick. Not sure if it'd work if you want analog input.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Miles McCloud posted:

What are your confessions?

I missed the whole 16-bit era and grew up a Sony and PC kid.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Started looking around and there are kits like this one on Amazon for $53 or the knockoff on Aliexpress for $14. Actually, there's no way of knowing that the Amazon thing is genuine. Or if that matters :v:

So am I missing something, or is there no actual programming involved with these kits? I'm all for that because I'll happily solder and build enclosures, but coding scares me.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thinking of getting the SFC30 for the NES/SNES, but I am curious on how the buttons are on the NES? Are they mirrored on the Y/X and Shoulder Buttons, or they just don't work there? I was reading up more on the dogbone controller, but the part about how the buttons are angled makes games where you need to hold both A & B down sound like a pain on it, which that would be the same case on a SNES controller.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Code Jockey posted:

Yeah, FF7 definitely owns still. It's kind of amazing the technological leap between 7 and 8 too, like the detail of the player models and enemy models went waaaaay up.
I get the feeling that FF7 suffered a bit from the initial (rumored?) assumption that it would be an N64/64DD game. That would explain the blocky SD versions of the characters that usually appear on the overworld. I'm sure the success of VII let them spend a pretty penny on training/acquiring actually competent 3D modellers, as well.

I have to admit that I was impressed that they were including fightscene-quality character models for the overworld, and actually included the whole drat team behind you.

I remember when, for a brief time, the standard ZOMG SO MANY POLYFLOPs graphics :circlefap: from Sony about the Ps2 was how the Ballroom scene from FF8 was being rendered in real time thanks to the raw power of the Emotion Engine.

//Oh yeah content:
My wife needed to walk, so we went to the Goodwill and while I was looking for awesome 90s CDs, I found a boxed copy of Wing Commander 3, plus a jewel CD of Myth II.

Games I've never played but always heard about! Yay!

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 25, 2016

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

FilthyImp posted:

I get the feeling that FF7 suffered a bit from the initial (rumored?) assumption that it would be an N64/64DD game. That would explain the blocky SD versions of the characters that usually appear on the overworld.

Y'know, I never thought of this, but that makes a lot of sense. The blocky versions would be right at home on the N64.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Elliotw2 posted:

It's just going to be the same ISO in Dosbox like it is on GOG. They totally lost the source files years ago, so your best way to play is on the Saturn with an interlaced display honestly.

Just watch supergreatfriend's LP. D2 is probably still worth playing, though.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Rirse posted:

Thinking of getting the SFC30 for the NES/SNES, but I am curious on how the buttons are on the NES? Are they mirrored on the Y/X and Shoulder Buttons, or they just don't work there? I was reading up more on the dogbone controller, but the part about how the buttons are angled makes games where you need to hold both A & B down sound like a pain on it, which that would be the same case on a SNES controller.

I don't know about the SFC30, but when you use an original SNES controller on a SNES-NES controller adapter, it uses the Y and B buttons for B and A inputs on the NES, so you can still jump/shoot comfortably without moving your thumb. X, A, and the shoulder buttons aren't used at all.

(SNES controller is the best NES controller)

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Rirse posted:

I've only got the FC 30 for my cheap rear end Android phone I don't activate because 30 dollar IPod Touch replacement with micro SD expansion wins. It's a nifty little controller! Sadly the android doesn't have the video out so no Atari 800 emulation on my HDTV.
(Too busy and cheap to buy the Broglia emulators right now. Colleen is a free emulator and owns. The free C64 emu did not own.)

I'd show a picture but iPad Air doesn't like to let Facebook images easily link.

Joystick thoughts: just get a RetroUSB Genesis dongle and buy either of the cheap but good Sega made arcade sticks. Or the Nintendo ones for Advantage sticks.

Vvvv the only things I find haven't worked were Atari Paddles and one of the Atari Trackballs. I don't have the SMS Sports Pad so I can't test it either. I think my awesomely ugly Sears Intellivision controllers don't work either. I doubt I tried the Atgames Colecovision controllers because I don't like them for the CV Flashback so why would I make life shittier for myself? Both Vision systems had well intentioned but generally poo poo default controllers. Obviously I don't have the CV optional controllers so no trying them either. I doubt I have done a few other DB9 devices I have because between the Genesis sticks, a 2 button Epyx 500xj, 6 button Genesis pad, the FC30 in USB mode, and the Madcatz SF4 TE stick, plus a wired 360 pad I am.. Pretty loving set on USB and DB9 to USB devices. Plus you know Atari Trackball and Paddles on legacy machines. Vvvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 25, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Any of the Genesis to USB adapters will work with most DB-9 controllers as well, including the Amiga ones.

If you're bored and brave, Raphnet has schematics and firmwares to make an adapter from whatever to USB, or you can just buy one of his prebuilt ones.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Random Stranger posted:

As for your other gaps, you're not missing much by not playing Final Fantasy, especially if you're older than 15.

Kid Fenris posted:

who seriously thinks like this

He's right. Final Fantasy games don't have much depth to their gameplay and most their stories really don't hold up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FilthyImp posted:

I get the feeling that FF7 suffered a bit from the initial (rumored?) assumption that it would be an N64/64DD game. That would explain the blocky SD versions of the characters that usually appear on the overworld. I'm sure the success of VII let them spend a pretty penny on training/acquiring actually competent 3D modellers, as well.

Why? Because the N64 can't render very many polygons? Huh?

There was an N64 tech demo even that rendered characters pretty much how they look on the PS1 battle screen. I don't think it being on N64 was the reason. If that was a thing, then the game would have been designed to be much much smaller so as to fit on a cartridge. But its a huge game.

FF7 looked like poo poo on the overworld because it was their first 3D game and that's a huge challenge, there's a lot of things to work out. They didn't know what the polygon budget was going to be like with the necessary draw call rate, so they just shot for a low bar. They also didn't know how to model well, like you mention, hiring better modellers and better tools afterwards.

We have so much better graphics now people assume PS1 graphics were super easy, but they definitely were NOT. If anything nowadays we all use established engines that already work all that out for us, where on PS1 you're writing your own engine from scratch doing all the low-level rendering. Its a ton of work. FF8 was able to leverage not just what they learned making FF7 or the money it brought, but they also got a huge jump ahead by using the FF7 engine as a springboard, just adding to it instead of having to start from nothing.

FilthyImp posted:

I remember when, for a brief time, the standard ZOMG SO MANY POLYFLOPs graphics :circlefap: from Sony about the Ps2 was how the Ballroom scene from FF8 was being rendered in real time thanks to the raw power of the Emotion Engine.

FF8 was on PS1, are you talking about a tech demo or something?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 25, 2016

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

al-azad posted:

If you haven't purchased a Nintendo console in a long time I always recommend the Wii U to people. You have the rest of the Wii library and Gamecube if you soft mod (read: you should soft mod), and Nintendo has had a decent output on it.

Oh my loving god how have I never heard of this I know what I'm doing this weekeeeeennnnnnnnnnddddddd

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

People tend to forget that up until FFX that VIII was the outlier and everything else was impish little sprites.

And I think getting away from that permanently has more to do with motion capturing actors being easier than hand animating movement since you can't get away with jerky movement anymore.

Like I think FFIX was what they were going for with VII and yeah VII looks worse because it was their first 3D thing but I don't think it was ever supposed to be a realistic take on 3D or whatever.

Zaphod42 posted:

FF8 was on PS1, are you talking about a tech demo or something?

They put a tech demo for a cutscene from 8 running on a PS2, much like how they put a tech demo for the opening of 7 on PS3.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phantasium posted:

Like I think FFIX was what they were going for with VII and yeah VII looks worse because it was their first 3D thing but I don't think it was ever supposed to be a realistic take on 3D or whatever.

With FFVII its pretty clear they had seperate teams working on different pieces of the game just not really that close in touch with each other.

The world map you're right, feels like they were shooting for FFIX. But then the battle screen suddenly got really impressively realistic for its time. The battle screen models aren't that different from the general FF8 models, its just in FF8 they're the same models for battle and overworld. That strong contrast between popeye-arms on one screen and realistic-proportions on another is the real issue, you can't ignore how bad the models look because the game itself constantly shows you better ones.

Thats' really not far off from FF8 models, both in realism style and poly count. The battle screen models were fantastic for their time.

Which is why I love playing FF7 on PC modded so the battle screen models are used on the field map too. It looks so good.

Phantasium posted:

They put a tech demo for a cutscene from 8 running on a PS2, much like how they put a tech demo for the opening of 7 on PS3.

Huh! Did not ever see that, somehow. Cool.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

The world map you're right, feels like they were shooting for FFIX. But then the battle screen suddenly got really impressively realistic for its time. The battle screen models aren't that different from the general FF8 models, its just in FF8 they're the same models for battle and overworld. That strong contrast between popeye-arms on one screen and realistic-proportions on another is the real issue, you can't ignore how bad the models look because the game itself constantly shows you better ones.

You're talking about a series that, in the 2D games, would have a monster just be some random sprite on the overworld but would be this giant Amano art in battle.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I did say I was gonna show the FC30 in action:

It basically has a couple of start up modes that can make it a USB controller for PCs, a Bluetooth controller with keyboard emulation, an iCade mode, and a couple other. Its good and cute. They have a couple different styles of controller now and even dongles so you can use them with your actual consoles. I am not entirely sure WHY one would want this but you can. They have a near keychain sized controller, this game pad sized one, a SNES styled one, an Arcade Stick, and a Wii Classic Controller type with thumbsticks. Plus a LE model of mine with actual gold plating if you really like to show off your bougieness. For what I want and need it to do, a 4 button with shoulder buttons, and Start/Select is fine. The white bit is like a stand for your mobile devices but ones that basically don't have a case on them.

The device works pretty well. Sadly GBA4IOS doesn't acknowledge it because that program is a douchebag who hates fun like Apple does. Except the program at least lets me play Super Robot Wars J at the speed of ungodly slow.

You can use Bluetooth Keyboards with the Colleen emulator and they work decently. Funnily enough the cheap rear end rubber key Bauhn one I got for like 10 bucks at Aldi a couple years back that has a built in pleather case is actually BETTER for WASD gaming than the Logitech. Better arrow keys too. Who would have thought?

30 bucks and a fuckton better than an Ipod Touch. Plus phone capabilities if I want to be stupid(er).

But I have other portable gaming options. I got it imported from the UK to go along with my TRON portable of the same design. If I ever have money to burn I need to get the Tomy Scramble game to complete the trilogy. VFD displays are the best retro displays.

Wheelie doesn't like LCD games in 2016 with mediocre joysticks. Even for 18 bucks. :smith:

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 25, 2016

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

This gonna be nerdy af and very specific, but does anyone have a youtube playlist of "christmasy"(or just wintery) sounding video game music? I'm listening to "White Land" on the F-Zero soundtrack and it's making me want to listen to some seasonally appropriate VGM.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
...Halloween is seasonally appropriate, not Christmas.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah, but I know I'm really slow at these things and trying to get ahead of the game if I have to put one together myself. For halloween I'm pretty much just listening to various mario ghost house songs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

With FFVII its pretty clear they had seperate teams working on different pieces of the game just not really that close in touch with each other.

If there's one thing that has been consistent with Square for the entirety of their history, it's comically terrible project management.

RZA Encryption posted:

This gonna be nerdy af and very specific, but does anyone have a youtube playlist of "christmasy"(or just wintery) sounding video game music? I'm listening to "White Land" on the F-Zero soundtrack and it's making me want to listen to some seasonally appropriate VGM.

The soundtrack to Christmas Lemmings. :v:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have another question. I have a GBA SP and a DS lite.

Is it still an option to buy reasonably priced flash carts for these or has that ship long sailed.

I've seen the GBA hardware remakes that include a Micro SD port but I'd really like to use my SP.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

MarcusSA posted:

I have another question. I have a GBA SP and a DS lite.

Is it still an option to buy reasonably priced flash carts for these or has that ship long sailed.

I've seen the GBA hardware remakes that include a Micro SD port but I'd really like to use my SP.

Most of them are gone yes. The EZ Flash IV is still around and had a minor refresh last year. The current hotness is the GBA Everdrive and if you don't mind the bigger cart size, it's the one to get.

For DS, there is the R4i which is still sold.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Most of them are gone yes. The EZ Flash IV is still around and had a minor refresh last year. The current hotness is the GBA Everdrive and if you don't mind the bigger cart size, it's the one to get.

For DS, there is the R4i which is still sold.

Thanks that gives me a great place to start.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Not sure if this counts as reasonably priced but Ever Drive makes a GBA cart and their products tend to be very highly regarded.

Edit: Too slow.

For my DS stuff I have a Japanese DSi LL with a Supercard DSTwo in it. It can technically emulate GBA and SNES stuff but the results are nothing like using original hardware. I will eventually pick up a GB Micro (Or Macro) and an Ever Drive for the long haul.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

RZA Encryption posted:

I don't, but I could name a few tracks to get you started on making your own, should needs must:

Diamond Dust Zone (Sonic 3D Blast, Saturn/Win 98)
Snow Island (Croc: Legend of the Gobbos, PS1/Saturn/Win 98)
Freezeezy Peak (Banjo-Kazooie, N64/Xbox 360)
"Snowman" (Earthbound variant, SNES)
Freeze Man's Stage (Mega Man VII, SNES)
"Buried in the Snow" (Final Fantasy VII, PS1)
"In a Snowbound Land" (Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, SNES)
"Jangle Bells" (Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble, SNES)
"A Sport to Catch a Mackerel" (James Pond 2: Operation Robocod, Genesis/SNES/Amiga/friggin' everything since for some reason)
Shiver Star (Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, N64)
"Cold Reception in Shiver City" (Paper Mario, N64)
"Jingle Bell 2042" (Snatcher, MSX/PC-8801/PC Engine/Sega CD/PS1/Saturn)
"Take the Snow Train" (NiGHTS Into Dreams..., Saturn)
"Welcome to Christmas NiGHTS" (Christmas NiGHTS, Saturn)
"Jack Frost's Chime" (Christmas NiGHTS, Saturn)
"Dream Bells" (Christmas NiGHTS, Saturn)
"White Hare" (Jazz Jackrabbit 2: Holiday Hare, Windows 98)
Holidaus (Day) (Jazz Jackrabbit: Holiday Hare '94, MS-DOS)
Holidaus (Night) ("Silent Night") (Jazz Jackrabbit: Holiday Hare '94, MS-DOS)
Bloxonius ("Little Drummer Boy") (Jazz Jackrabbit: Holiday Hare '95, MS-DOS)
Candion ("Carol of the Bells") (Jazz Jackrabbit: Holiday Hare '95, MS-DOS)
"Hot Snow" (Fantasy Zone, Arcade)
"The Frigid Sea" (Wario Land 3, Game Boy Color)

As for Halloween music... uh... "Good King Moggle Mog"? (You can't tell me that isn't "This is Halloween". I suppose "Up at Dawn" is the intended Halloween All Saints Wake theme, but...)

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 26, 2016

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Zaphod42 posted:

Why? Because the N64 can't render very many polygons? Huh?

There was an N64 tech demo even that rendered characters pretty much how they look on the PS1 battle screen.

You mean the SGI Workstation demo that used Final Fantasy VI characters? That really wasn't on Nintendo 64 hardware, was it?

But Square could've put Final Fantasy VII on the Super NES, as shown in an early mock-up at Unseen64. I wonder how that would've gone over in America.

The real loss of Square leaving the Nintendo 64 was, of course, that we never got a four-player Secret of Mana sequel.

Lowen SoDium posted:

He's right. Final Fantasy games don't have much depth to their gameplay and most their stories really don't hold up.

Nah, they're fun. And they're certainly no shallower than the majority of games mentioned here without criticism.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

Not sure if this counts as reasonably priced but Ever Drive makes a GBA cart and their products tend to be very highly regarded.

Edit: Too slow.

For my DS stuff I have a Japanese DSi LL with a Supercard DSTwo in it. It can technically emulate GBA and SNES stuff but the results are nothing like using original hardware. I will eventually pick up a GB Micro (Or Macro) and an Ever Drive for the long haul.

Yeah I found that and it puts me in an interesting position. The Everdrive is $99 and it only lets me play GBA games because of the way the cart is designed.

For that same $99 I could order the Revo K101 Plus which is a GBA clone which also lets me play GB and GBC games along with a few other systems. Also it seems as though the screen on the Revo is much better.

http://www.retrocollect.com/Reviews/hardware-review-revo-k101-plus-game-boy-advance-clone.html

I actually love that there are so many drat options now days.

EDIT: Scratch that the screen isn't correct.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kid Fenris posted:

You mean the SGI Workstation demo that used Final Fantasy VI characters? That really wasn't on Nintendo 64 hardware, was it?

That was an SGI system specced very closely to the final N64 design, a common tactic used for development because it could be cheaper than full N64 devkits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shadow Hog posted:

I don't, but I could name a few tracks to get you started on making your own, should needs must:

How could you forget Diddy Kong Racing's Frosty Village? :colbert:

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

RZA Encryption posted:

Not really christmassy, but the music to Surface 1 on Goldeneye64 makes me think of the cold/snow. Plus ShadowHog's great list

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Kid Fenris posted:

But Square could've put Final Fantasy VII on the Super NES, as shown in an early mock-up at Unseen64. I wonder how that would've gone over in America.

Huh, I'm pretty sure a piece of that concept art is just an area in Kingdom Hearts, that's cool.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Looks cool.
https://twitter.com/VGDensetsu/status/790994633925005316/video/1

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
Anyone know much about the HD Retrovison cables, specifically when are they usually in stock?

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Pegnose Pete posted:

Yeah Supercard DSTwo is the way to go. Mine has a big honkin' SD card with my entire DS collection on it, every NES/Famicom title ever released, hundreds of C64/Spectrum titles, Gameboy/GBC stuff, etc.

Speaking of which, is it possible to get replacement DS Lite batteries somewhere? Mine's still kicking but it holds a charge for all of about an hour now :( I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

thorsilver posted:

Yeah Supercard DSTwo is the way to go. Mine has a big honkin' SD card with my entire DS collection on it, every NES/Famicom title ever released, hundreds of C64/Spectrum titles, Gameboy/GBC stuff, etc.

Speaking of which, is it possible to get replacement DS Lite batteries somewhere? Mine's still kicking but it holds a charge for all of about an hour now :( I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

Just hit up ebay, there should be plenty of battery replacements for sale.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If any ausgoons are still wanting a NES Mini and missed the chance to preorder one, EB Games just got their website hosed out from under them by people trying to slam a preorder in for one. Keep an eye on their website, as apparently they'll be retrying to add it SoonTM.

edit: They're releasing them Friday 28th at noon on the website.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

fishmech posted:

Just hit up ebay, there should be plenty of battery replacements for sale.

The only ones I can find on Ebay though are Chinese off-brand ones, and when I tried one of those 'extended batteries' for my PSP the charge was literally about 20 minutes.

Are there some knockoff batteries that are actually good that I should be looking for?

• Locked thread