Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

1stGear posted:

If Texas goes blue, I will squeal and flail my arms like an 8-year old girl receiving a pony on her birthday.

Please do not give me false hope. I am refusing to even entertain the notion of that happening.

That said, I swear to loving god us going blue would almost be worth all the loving cali refugees that have moved here to Austin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Is it legal for me to share a photo of my ballot in Texas?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Quandary posted:

Protected free speech. Do it!

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Quandary posted:

At the polling station itself or a mail-in?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Polling station

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Born in New York, raised in Dallas from the age of 2 so I'm not sure where that puts me.

You're Hank Hill irl.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Quandary posted:

Polling station

No.

No photography within 100 feet of a polling location.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Atahualpa posted:

I don't live in Austin, but the Statesman had an article about it today that seemed to do a pretty good job of covering it. Main complaint I've heard about it otherwise (aside from the bike lane/bus lane/expanded sidewalk issues that always come up with Austin traffic proposals) is the elimination of left-turn lanes at certain intersections.

They also had an article about the factors depressing the Hispanic vote and/or keeping Hispanics underrepresented in local governments, which is worth checking out. It covers a whole gambit of stuff, from relatively mundane factors like the dearth of Spanish-speaking county election officials to stuff like this:

(Incidentally, I'm curious: is pretty much everyone in this thread a city-dweller or is anyone else stuck out in a rural shithole like me?)

I'm in McAllen currently for the last three years, born and raised here used to live in Austin through the mid 00's into early 10's, Prop 1 for Hidalgo county pertains to a Healthcare District that would essentially go hand in hand with UTRGV School of Medicine. Problem because being is that it would be overseen by a for profit doctor owned hospital called Doctor's Hospital at Renaissance and has a local rep of rampant nepotism and the way it would be structured would be dubious at best with essentially one doctor with connections politically in the entire county would dictate the independent oversight board. Not to mention said doctor comes from a prominent construction family juggernaut and would most likely do the building setting cost. Sooooo a lot of cash would essentially be funneled into one place. And of course raising taxes to pay for it.

BUT what ideally it would bring is massive help to indigent care to some of the poorest counties in the state/nation and having state of the art medical care/research for things that plague The Valley, like Cancer, Diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases.

I think I just talked myself out of voting for it. Oh well that's part of what's happening down here for election season. Which is frustrating because finding solid information has been sort of hard to find as far as pros and cons for this drat thing.

http://www.themonitor.com/news/elec...b84458b5e9.html

ALSO early polling places for the Prop have been set up in the hospital's location, AND banks that have very close ties to the hospital as well. It's getting really really shady with judges with interests not recusing themselves after motions have been filed to have those locations in neutral locations.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 25, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The only local thing on my ballot was whether they wanted to allow for the sell of liquor in Brazoria county. I voted for it, because why not.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Voted like 3 weeks ago mail-in, before I left for the expedition I'm on. I'm actually getting kinda excited that we might not be an instant call as soon as polls close.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
Just voted at SAC in San Antonio. No line. I walked in, signed in, and was shown to a booth. Log another for Iron Abuela.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

No.

No photography within 100 feet of a polling location.

I heard NPR talking about a federal appeals court finding ballot selfies to be protected free speech.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Can I ask a dumb voting question here?

So I forgot to update my address since the last time I voted, and now I live on the other side of Harris county.

Can I still do early voting at any location? Or do I need to go to my registered location on 11/8 and fill out the affadavit confirming that my address is wrong?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Rock My Socks! posted:

So I forgot to update my address since the last time I voted, and now I live on the other side of Harris county.

Can I still do early voting at any location? Or do I need to go to my registered location on 11/8 and fill out the affadavit confirming that my address is wrong?

You can early vote anywhere. If you wait until election day, you have to go to your assigned polling location.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Twerk from Home posted:

I heard NPR talking about a federal appeals court finding ballot selfies to be protected free speech.

Which district?

And, again, the issue in Travis county at least is not taking a picture of the ballot it's taking a picture within 100 feet of the polling location. They're two different things. I mean, you could argue that to the court and it's unlikely that anyone would actually enforce it, but them's the facts.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My wife went to vote this morning, took about an hour at the Encino Library in North Bexar county. She works close by but the line was wrapped around the building.

Turnout seems impressive so far which is exciting. The 2012 Election had 57% participation in Bexar county, I'm hoping that goes up a little.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

Which district?

And, again, the issue in Travis county at least is not taking a picture of the ballot it's taking a picture within 100 feet of the polling location. They're two different things. I mean, you could argue that to the court and it's unlikely that anyone would actually enforce it, but them's the facts.

1st circuit court of appeals, so the Northeast: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/09/28/first_circuit_court_of_appeals_strikes_down_ballot_selfie_ban_in_new_hampshire.html

But other courts are arriving at the same result, including in Michigan: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2016/10/24/federal-court-suspends-michigans-ballot-selfie-ban/92695282/

I understand that the law prohibits ballot selfies at the polling location in Texas, but it's also a bad law that someone argumentative and with resources or wherewithal to get the ACLU involved could fight and get struck down.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Twerk from Home posted:

1st circuit court of appeals, so the Northeast: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/09/28/first_circuit_court_of_appeals_strikes_down_ballot_selfie_ban_in_new_hampshire.html

But other courts are arriving at the same result, including in Michigan: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2016/10/24/federal-court-suspends-michigans-ballot-selfie-ban/92695282/

I understand that the law prohibits ballot selfies at the polling location in Texas, but it's also a bad law that someone argumentative and with resources or wherewithal to get the ACLU involved could fight and get struck down.

There-in is the issue. Texans have no problem with being argumentative. It's having the resources/drive to make it so that's the issue.

That and, well, I'm in the 'who the gently caress cares whether you can take a selfie with your ballot or not' camp. It's all electronic here in Austin as near as I can tell and the only real reason that it might be an issue is being able to go 'wait a sec that's not who I voted for this machine is faulty'.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

You can early vote anywhere. If you wait until election day, you have to go to your assigned polling location.

Anywhere located in your county of residence. Not helpful for me, since I work in a different county.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
Looks like we blew the doors off early voting state-wide.

quote:

Multiple Texas counties reported record-breaking turnout figures on the first day of early voting Monday, according to news outlets across the Lone Star State.

Some counties saw as much as double the number of votes cast Monday than they did on the first day of early voting in the last presidential race in 2012. Many also saw significant increases from the first day of early voting in 2008.

Now we just gotta hope this trend continues for the next two weeks.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Rock My Socks! posted:

Going early would be a good idea because there will be fewer people there and more time to do the correct thing if just showing up isn't enough.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Rock My Socks! posted:

Check your registration status here. If your listed status says, 'Suspense' then you will need to confirm your address when you show up to the polls, but otherwise there are no other restrictions, as the other guys covered. To my memory, updating your address doesn't require any additional proof other than just telling them the new address. It has been a few years since I was a Voter Registrar and I'm phone posting so take that with a little grain of salt.

In case anyone doesn't already know, go here to find the early voting locations in Harris County, https://m.harrisvotes.com/EarlyVoting?lang=en-US.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 25, 2016

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Dameius posted:

Check your registration status here. If your listed status says, 'Suspense' then you will need to confirm your address when you show up to the polls, but otherwise there are no other restrictions, as the other guys covered. To my memory, updating your address doesn't require any additional proof other than just telling them the new address. It has been a few years since I was a Voter Registrar and I'm phone posting so take that with a little grain of salt.

In case anyone doesn't already know, go here to find the early voting locations in Harris County, https://m.harrisvotes.com/EarlyVoting?lang=en-US.

Thanks, I'm in 'suspense' status but it looks like there is a location two blocks from my house so I'll give itna whirl tonight. I don't see any hours posted, is it 7am-7pm like in the general election?

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
+1 for Abuela in Schertz, TX (went to the Guadalupe county tax office). It was 7:45 am and there was a steady amount of people. White voters were outnumbered by black and Hispanic people while I was there, which is a first for me to see at that polling station. It was obvious a lot of people were there before heading to work.

A nice black lady was entering the building as I was walking out and she said in a low voice, "It feels good doesn't it?" and I exclaimed "Oh god it sure does" and we both started laughing and she commented that she couldn't help but see my huge smile and we both fist pumped the air and continued on our way.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Rock My Socks! posted:

Thanks, I'm in 'suspense' status but it looks like there is a location two blocks from my house so I'll give itna whirl tonight. I don't see any hours posted, is it 7am-7pm like in the general election?

Yeah should be 07-19 every day of early voting.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Bunch of old white males in line to vote at the Rollingwood (austin) TX early voting location. Took an hour and a half to get through the line, which was about how long it was at the same location during the primary.

Funny enough, it didn't ask me about the transportation bond even though it would be affecting loop 360. Probably knew I was a dirty pro-transportation person, only NIMBYs get to vote on transit measures...

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Dameius posted:

Yeah should be 07-19 every day of early voting.

In Nueces County, it's 8am-5pm this week and 7am-7pm next week. Check with your county clerk to get hours for where you are.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

saintonan posted:

In Nueces County, it's 8am-5pm this week and 7am-7pm next week. Check with your county clerk to get hours for where you are.

This is the most correct answer.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

+1 Abuela in Austin. The early voting station at the Tarrytown library didn't have a single Trump signs. About 2-3 dozen signs each for the local people, and another dozen H-> signs, but not a single TRUMPPence sign to be seen.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Rabble posted:

Bunch of old white males in line to vote at the Rollingwood (austin) TX early voting location. Took an hour and a half to get through the line, which was about how long it was at the same location during the primary.

Funny enough, it didn't ask me about the transportation bond even though it would be affecting loop 360. Probably knew I was a dirty pro-transportation person, only NIMBYs get to vote on transit measures...

It probably didn't ask you since only people who live in Austin get to vote on the bond

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Jesus, why is it so hard to find out what districts you're in? I managed to find it, but that was needlessly difficult.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

A lovely Reporter posted:

Jesus, why is it so hard to find out what districts you're in? I managed to find it, but that was needlessly difficult.

I guess it depends on your county/voting precinct but Harris County shows you everything when you look up your registration info:

It's missing a little bit I suppose (like what the actual Pct # of the Constable is, for example) but it's pretty decent.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
+1 for Abuela in Dallas county today! :getin:

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
+1 for Abuela in Houston today. I went in the middle of the work day, and there was still a line filling the (admittedly small) lobby. I'm betting it gets worse the closer we get to Election Day.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
My family is voting for Abuela tomorrow. They are hardcore Latino Republicans but even they won't vote for the "pendejo".

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

It will be the opposite. Just all the buzz gets people down to vote at the beginning

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Voted straight ticket Dem. When I got to the Supreme Court/Court of Criminal Appeals races I was like "ooohhh right I totally meant to research them, I hope the Dems picked good folks this year." A shameful law nerd.

I assume that after you've gone through everything and made your way to the booth and punched in your code you can't be like "Oh hey I have decided not to cast my ballot at this time I want to leave and do it later."

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

In the course doing my research tonight on the down-ballot stuff (which was largely useless since many of the candidates have zero Internet presence) I got to enjoy the web site of Libertarian candidate for Congress, Mike Kolls.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

DangerZoneDelux posted:

It will be the opposite. Just all the buzz gets people down to vote at the beginning

I think a lot of the waits on Austin have to do with people seeing a line and naturally being inclined to stand in it just in case it is a cool new food truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
https://twitter.com/capmetroatx/status/784740142103670784