Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

people play fallout games in 3rd person? (Or indeed any bethesda game)

I don't normally. I just like walking through the wilderness in 3rd person. Basically just long, on foot traveling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

hi, it's me, I'm the person who has finished full playthroughs of Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim in third person.

It started out because I actually wanted to see my dunmer's badass armor and not just their hands so I figured I'd give it a shot and then it just... stuck.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i think if bethesda explained the concept of modding to nintendo they would implode out of confusion

"you mean these random people are allowed to put their own files into your system? uhhhh no no no we do not want that"

I am super duper glad gaming in general has moved way out of japan

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

I started playing Skyrim last week after finishing the Witcher 3. It's pretty neat but I really can't get over how they use the same voice actor with a very distinct accent for a handful of characters that you meet in the first few hours of the game. This one dude voices all of these characters with the exact same pitch, accent, and inflection which makes it incredibly distracting. I don't have a problem with recycling voice actors for different characters, but with such a distinct and recognizable voice it's almost comical.

This guy:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWAjD4wu7tk&t=95s

Did anyone else notice this voice actor all over the place?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
That's been a problem since Morrowind. Very noticeable in Oblivion too. Maybe even worse in Oblivion because thanks to the potato heads, everyone looks the sae too.

It was less noticeable in Morrowind because the NPCs really only have short greeting lines.

Bethesda has a very thin voice-acting roster. Or rather, the roster they have doesn't split up the work enough. The work distribution is insane, you have Peter Gough voicing like 50 characters including Ralof and the Jarl of Whiterun there, while Jonas Fisch only does Hadvar (Ralof's counterpart).

Edit: Okay, "splitting the work" isn't quite the right term, because they're using the same lines for multiple characters, but it'd be less noticeable if like 10 people weren't the bulk of the world's interactions for minor quests and merchants.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 21, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"We could hire a lot of voice actor so that each important NPC has a unique voice and we still have something like three or four different voices per race/sex combination for generic NPCs... Or we could blow our budget on hiring Patrick Stewart to be the NPC you only see during the tutorial dungeon, and then I guess get like five or six voice actors to cover all the rest."

"Let's go with option 2, I want to get Jean-Luc Picard's autograph."

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Wasn't there a documentary/Making of Oblivion thing where Patrick Stewart showed up in the Bethesda office and everyone was nerding out over it but they weren't allowed to talk to him?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

P. Stewart seems cooler than that though

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
They only had so much budget and had to get him out of there within an hour. If people were talking to him, that's more time.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I think we all know who would have given the order that nobody talk to Patrick Stewart.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Mr. Data?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

Pikestaff posted:

hi, it's me, I'm the person who has finished full playthroughs of Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim in third person.

It started out because I actually wanted to see my dunmer's badass armor and not just their hands so I figured I'd give it a shot and then it just... stuck.

Same, and add the modern Fallouts to that list. I hate first-person perspective in video games. It just feels like I have blinders on since there's no sense of peripheral vision.

Though I lie in my accomplishments, having not completed Skyrim, only having modded it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'll admit it: I would make thousands of nerds mad at recycled voice acting in a triple-A title for the chance to meet Patrick Stewart. I would sleep well at night, too.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

ROFLburger posted:

I started playing Skyrim last week after finishing the Witcher 3. It's pretty neat but I really can't get over how they use the same voice actor with a very distinct accent for a handful of characters that you meet in the first few hours of the game. This one dude voices all of these characters with the exact same pitch, accent, and inflection which makes it incredibly distracting. I don't have a problem with recycling voice actors for different characters, but with such a distinct and recognizable voice it's almost comical.

This guy:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWAjD4wu7tk&t=95s

Did anyone else notice this voice actor all over the place?

This dude more than likely has a nice contract with Bethesda/Zenimax or works for them doing something else. His voice is all over the place in ESO (He voices Shalidor, one of the NPCs in a group dungeon, and like half of the Eastmarch/The Rift NPCs; hell he even does some elf dudes too).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
And yet, the guy who did the velvety smooth Khajiit voices in Skyrim hasn't gotten enough work.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

A.o.D. posted:

And yet, the guy who did the velvety smooth Khajiit voices in Skyrim hasn't gotten enough work.

Just wait for The Elder Scrolls VII: Catastrophe in the Cat Box

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Trustworthy posted:

Khajiitastrophe.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

armoredgorilla posted:

That's been a problem since Morrowind. Very noticeable in Oblivion too. Maybe even worse in Oblivion because thanks to the potato heads, everyone looks the sae too.

It was less noticeable in Morrowind because the NPCs really only have short greeting lines.

Bethesda has a very thin voice-acting roster. Or rather, the roster they have doesn't split up the work enough. The work distribution is insane, you have Peter Gough voicing like 50 characters including Ralof and the Jarl of Whiterun there, while Jonas Fisch only does Hadvar (Ralof's counterpart).

Edit: Okay, "splitting the work" isn't quite the right term, because they're using the same lines for multiple characters, but it'd be less noticeable if like 10 people weren't the bulk of the world's interactions for minor quests and merchants.

Oblivion was much much worse with certain lines being said by specific variations on a voice, so you'd be talking to one person and they'd use have two different voices based on their answer. Especially among the beggars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf573MBFq0I

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Hellsau posted:

Khajiitastrophe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PvNU8lDa0A

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Trustworthy posted:

Don't lie to the nice people, we all know Summerset Isles is up next.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Don't lie to the nice people, we all know Summerset Isles is up next.
then its a good thing he said VII, profligate

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Oblivions recycling was worse because they had way fewer voice types: basically one for each race/gender combo. I do like the voice for male Bretons in Oblivion.

Skyrim has at least a couple dozen voice types, and with the exception of the beast races, they're not tied to race.

I did like the oblivion VA cameos in Skyrim. The guy who did voices for male imperials in Oblivion voices both Lucien Lachance's ghost and the Emperor.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Man Whore posted:

then its a good thing he said VII, profligate

Khajit has no words for you

I read that as VI, my bad :(

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Hellsau posted:

Khajiitastrophe.

Khajiitation

Agents are GO! posted:

Oblivions recycling was worse because they had way fewer voice types: basically one for each race/gender combo. I do like the voice for male Bretons in Oblivion.

Not even that many. Redguards are the only ones to have their own voices not shared with anyone else.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Voice_Actors

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I think what made it more noticeable in Oblivion than Morrowind was less Sir Emperor Patrick Stewart's paycheck and more the choice to voice 100% of dialogue.

Get rid of voice-acting I say. Then get rid of 3d graphics. Then 2d. All shall be made Text.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Pikestaff posted:

I respect you for your mental fortitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkdR1X0V7sI

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Nina posted:

I respect you for your mental fortitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkdR1X0V7sI

Haha, I do love this video, but honestly it doesn't look too bad when you're running and when you've modded the game to hell and back.

I liked my cool robes, and also ~photo ops~

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

My Q-Face posted:

Oblivion was much much worse with certain lines being said by specific variations on a voice, so you'd be talking to one person and they'd use have two different voices based on their answer. Especially among the beggars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf573MBFq0I

:lol:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Pikestaff posted:

Haha, I do love this video, but honestly it doesn't look too bad when you're running and when you've modded the game to hell and back.

I liked my cool robes, and also ~photo ops~

That screenshot would look 100x better without that ugly third person model out of the way.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

In Skyrim, is there a way to quickly toggle between melee weapons and magic without having to navigate through these loving menus every time I want to switch? I mean it works fine, it's just annoying and slow

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

ROFLburger posted:

In Skyrim, is there a way to quickly toggle between melee weapons and magic without having to navigate through these loving menus every time I want to switch? I mean it works fine, it's just annoying and slow

Favourites.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ROFLburger posted:

F to favorite spells, items, and abilities in their respective menus, q to open your favorites menu during play.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That screenshot would look 100x better without that ugly third person model out of the way.

My Dunmer is cute I'll have you know :colbert: and I already have like 300 screenshots of sunsets and sunrises in this game sans player character, I have to mix it up a little.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

A.o.D. posted:

F to favorite spells, items, and abilities in their respective menus, q to open your favorites menu during play.

On your favorites list, use number keys to hotkey them.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 24, 2016

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

So the new special edition on Steam will be a separate database entry from the original?

Can't wait to have two instances of Skyrim at the top of my most played list :getin:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

[CoNsPiracy][RUMOR][toddhoward WARNING]
I think remaking the skyrim engine for the HD is a two-purpose deal. One so that they could rerelease skyrim, and Two.......

so they could announce Skyrim 2. Skyrim has 1000x the brand recognition as The Elder Scrolls, they will already have a huge amount of assets and engine experience from this, I have no reason to believe the next game won't be Skyrim 2 as opposed to TES6: Summerset Isles

bookmark this page, if I disappear find Todd

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
They already made Skyrim 2, it's called Elder Scrolls Online.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
And they announced Oblivion 2 because Oblivion had 1000x the name recognition of TES.

The Elder Scrolls has brand name recognition, and besides, everyone will be calling the next game 'Skyrim's sequel' anyways.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
I kinda figured the next one would be for VR? I thought T-Hows said at E3 they didn't have anything done on TES6 because the technology wasn't there yet.

I'd still buy Skyrim 2 though. Put that on VR and have some naked elfs in it and I'd probably starve to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Knowing how Todd and crew have used the same engine since Arena or something (apparently lovely even then), odds are it's better phrased as "OUR INTERNAL technology isn't there yet". If it takes this long to go 64-bit even.