Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hamelekim posted:

Would you love it more if you were coming from a Note 3? I'm waiting for mine from Rogers, not sure when it is going to arrive, but it has to be better than my current Note 3, and there really isn't anything else out there worth buying in Android land. I'm definitely not going Apple.

Are you kidding, the Note 3 is like 3 years old and a loving Samsung product from 3 years ago, your head is going to literally explode at how good the Pixel is in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hamelekim posted:

Would you love it more if you were coming from a Note 3? I'm waiting for mine from Rogers, not sure when it is going to arrive, but it has to be better than my current Note 3, and there really isn't anything else out there worth buying in Android land. I'm definitely not going Apple.

Note 7 was everything I wanted going off the Note 3, but obviously that's no longer an option. I'm biting the Pixel bullet myself, but it's not here until November

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

CLAM DOWN posted:

Are you kidding, the Note 3 is like 3 years old and a loving Samsung product from 3 years ago, your head is going to literally explode at how good the Pixel is in comparison.

Yeah, my phone has been SO slow lately, I don't want to deal with it anymore. I am hoping the performance and no Samsung bloat will make my experience more enjoyable.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Note 7 was everything I wanted going off the Note 3, but obviously that's no longer an option. I'm biting the Pixel bullet myself, but it's not here until November

Yeah, the 7 looked very good, I am kind of excited about having a stock android phone though, one with great specs for a change.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Hamelekim posted:

I had a Note 3... three phones ago. Been nexus ever since and can't imagine going back to Samsung. It will be a mindblowing improvement for you. Pixel is still the best android phone, but 6P was criminally underrated by the general public.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I had a Note 3... three phones ago. Been nexus ever since and can't imagine going back to Samsung. It will be a mindblowing improvement for you. Pixel is still the best android phone, but 6P was criminally underrated by the general public.

Yeah well Canada sucks for phone plans. I can't upgrade my phone without giving up 6gb of data for 65 dollars a month. That's like 120 a month normally. So I've stuck with my note until now.

I might have to start taking photos of my food with all the free storage.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm Canadian too. Buy it at store.google.com and keep your plan.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'm Canadian too. Buy it at store.google.com and keep your plan.

Oh I'm sticking with my plan regardless of where I buy it. I think I can get it from Rogers quicker than Google though. We will see whether or not that is the case. At least with Rogers I could get in line for the phone. I can't do that with Google. I just get the notify me option.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Jesus, way to knock it out of the park Xiaomi.

http://youtu.be/tgXjklyo5Is

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't know why anyone would want a Samsung phone of any kind at this point. Compared to other phones, they are painfully slow and weak for hardware and what you are paying for. Samsung needs to strip out their bloatware because I am positive that is what is killing their performance.

I am so happy to get rid of my Galaxy S5 this week.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Nitrousoxide posted:

Jesus, way to knock it out of the park Xiaomi.

http://youtu.be/tgXjklyo5Is

Why even have a bottom chin at that point. Just make it all screen :getin:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Got to have somewhere for the selfie cam.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ragingsheep posted:

Got to have somewhere for the selfie cam.

wasn't there a phone a year or so ago with only one camera but it was on a hinge and would swing front or back?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

wasn't there a phone a year or so ago with only one camera but it was on a hinge and would swing front or back?

:eyepop: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2973680/phones/huaweis-new-smartphone-has-an-180-degree-rotating-camera.html

This is the same company that is releasing a $1300 smartphone this year too.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
After three years of faithful service it's time to retire my Moto G 2nd gen, my absolute favorite phone I've ever owned. I have a bring your own phone service plan so I was considering just grabbing the latest version of the G, that is until I dropped by a Verizon store and saw the Pixel in person. Man, what a sexy beast of a phone.
My question is, as someone who has only ever bought cheap phones outright, how is Google's payment plan? Is it as straightforward as it seems?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Pixel XL case chat. I cant find anything on Amazon that doesn't look dumb. The nerds on reddit are tweeting at Bellroy in hope they will make some cases for the Pixels.

I would like something like this. https://bellroy.com/products/phone-case/i6s/caramel-charcoal

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
nevermind

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 25, 2016

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Hamelekim posted:

I got the Pixel coming from the Note 4 and have been really impressed with the responsiveness of the phone. Coming from the 3 will be a massive bump for you. 100% yes do that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

He said Note 3, not Note 7 :downsrim:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Nice

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Zohn posted:

After three years of faithful service it's time to retire my Moto G 2nd gen, my absolute favorite phone I've ever owned. I have a bring your own phone service plan so I was considering just grabbing the latest version of the G, that is until I dropped by a Verizon store and saw the Pixel in person. Man, what a sexy beast of a phone.
My question is, as someone who has only ever bought cheap phones outright, how is Google's payment plan? Is it as straightforward as it seems?

Not to make things more difficult for you but I have the new Moto G4 and it's a really great phone. Granted I'm not gaming on the thing or doing anything too intense but for listening to music/podcasts and wasting time on the internet/sa/reddit it does the job perfectly for really cheap.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

How is the camera on the g4

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Acceptable? I'm not the person to ask I don't take many pictures at all. I'd check a review online and see what they say.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Zohn posted:

You apply for financing through Synchrony Bank. If approved you make your monthly interest free payments to them. If you're an automatic bill pay kinda guy it should be pretty painless.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Man, the regular Pixel makes my s7 edge seem like a 3 year old device in terms of responsiveness. Even with the 935u firmware. :(

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

nerdrum posted:

Man, the regular Pixel makes my s7 edge seem like a 3 year old device in terms of responsiveness. Even with the 935u firmware. :(

Samsung!!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's not just Samsung. Same deal with my N5x and MXP.

Hell, it runs circles around my Pixel C.

It's increasingly becoming my favorite device to use at even the exclusion of my tablets.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Is there any way to restore my text messages from 5x -> Pixel after the fact? The auto restore thing failed when setting it up because that poo poo never works for me. "no available backups" it said.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

n.. posted:

Is there any way to restore my text messages from 5x -> Pixel after the fact? The auto restore thing failed when setting it up because that poo poo never works for me. "no available backups" it said.

https://www.carbonite.com/en/apps/call-log-sms-backup-restore

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've used this in the past. Only complaint is that there was no progress bar (at the time?) and I thought it wasn't working until I let it sit uninterrupted for a couple hours.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
That worked beautifully, thanks

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Now do yourself a favour and get SMSbackup+ and don't worry about it ever again

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

With a Pixel you don't have to worry about it since it backs up SMS natively.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

oh thats cool

does it have a way of searching though? Most of my use for old sms involves searching in gmail

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

bull3964 posted:

With a Pixel you don't have to worry about it since it backs up SMS natively.

About time

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No, it's just supposed to restore to the messenger app. If you want searching in gmail, you should probably keep using SMSBackup+.

Though, I would like to see confirmation from someone that it actually works.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh that's disappointing, what's the point then ?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

So I'll have to wait for the phone I get after the pixel to take advantage of it?

Oh well, baby steps I guess.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Skarsnik posted:

Oh that's disappointing, what's the point then ?

So your new phone had the same stuff on it your old phone does.

Total storage for any one app is limited to 25mb, so it's not like you can have 10 years of conversations restored anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I'm never going to unlock my bootloader, and I can get a Pixel through a local Verizon store immediately for the same price as through Google after a four week wait. Is there any other reason to not do this?