Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

So what do you even do when you reach Ariandel Chapel?

You do as the nun asks and leave and never return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The poise system sucks because the armor system as a whole sucks, in a vacuum it's just a slightly nerfed version of DS2 poise but in practice why do I have to put some stupid hat on my head for damage reduction when I want to be anime cool, why is the dragon form so loving useless and weak, what do you MEAN my purple shriveled-dick-headed man cant be naked when I swing this large club, gently caress you from software bring back the b team when are they going to fix poise

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Honestly, I think my favorite phase of that fight is the first. Its really liked how you had to track her invisibility based on the audio of her landing and colliding with the props.

Yeah, I loved that :3: You can see a puff of ice crystals where she lands too if you're lucky (she mostly tries to jump to the opposite side of you I found). If you catch her quickly you can really punish it with a charge attack (while she's charging hers).

Parrying felt really natural to me though, after practicing Sulyvahn for a long time. She does the lunge attack, and the timing must be the same as his because I instinctively parried and it worked. Felt great to go into a new boss fight and parry the first move :haw:

Control Volume posted:

why do I have to put some stupid hat on my head for damage reduction when I want to be anime cool

I just ignore that and wear whatever I like. There aren't a lot of hats I like in the game, and if that means I'm taking 10% more damage than everyone else then so be it. Suffer for fashion :colbert:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
jesus why does my PS4 download so slow? --Me right now realizing I forgot to purchase the season pass.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah but in DS2 you could be a ninja turtle and still have average armor while in DS3 some dude wearing a jockstrap on his rear end, head, and every available appendage now has better armor, and here's the real hosed up part: they dont have jockstraps in the game for you to wear, so you cant even do that.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Ds1 did poise right.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Control Volume posted:

they dont have jockstraps in the game for you to wear, so you cant even do that.

The DLC adds assless chaps though. Getting there.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Man, I have no inclination to continue through this DLC. It's just some side area, it's boring. We did the snowy world thing already and the river of blood thing already. What happened to me.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Bogart posted:

Man, I have no inclination to continue through this DLC. It's just some side area, it's boring. We did the snowy world thing already and the river of blood thing already. What happened to me.

The bosses are bullshit and the area is just confusing.

The pvp additions might be good but I don't know if I feel like trying it

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Bogart posted:

It's actually not very much fun, I have obviously missed something important as I have only found two new weapons and 1 boss and a door I can't get through but the areas are all so wide open and full of lovely snow effects that I can't be bothered to look around to find whatever side passage leads to the actual rest of the DLC.

DS2's DLC were much better structured and felt like super fun, densely packed areas to explore, this is just a snowy rear end in a top hat full of annoying wolves and loving vikings with too much hp.

E:

OK so all the actually fun parts of the DLC are hidden down a ladder behind a bunch of grass and poo poo next to a bridge.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 26, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Your Computer posted:

So you're saying

1) Poise makes attacks not stagger you. More poise = shrug off bigger attacks.

and

2) Poise gives you a couple of super armor frames, but only if:
  • You get hit at the exact right moment
  • You're using certain (large) weapons
  • You're already in the middle of a swing

Is exactly the same?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to argue for whether the change is good or bad I'm just saying that it's not weird for people to think the stat somehow broke.

The only real change from DS2 to DS3, as far as I can tell, is that poise now only applies to certain attacks based on weapon class and/or weapon art. People should have been aware that poise was no longer an "always-on" thing and had been for some time. And to clarify what might be a terminology issue, poise doesn't give you "super armor/hyper armor" in the fighting game sense that you can't be staggered ever during those frames; it's still like DS1 where there's a hidden meter that weapon hits build up damage to, but not flinching when the meter gets maxed out only happens during the attacks we consider to have "hyper armor."

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Internet Kraken posted:

The DLC adds assless chaps though. Getting there.

all chaps are assless

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

It's actually not very much fun, I have obviously missed something important as I have only found two new weapons and 1 boss and a door I can't get through but the areas are all so wide open and full of lovely snow effects that I can't be bothered to look around to find whatever side passage leads to the actual rest of the DLC.

DS2's DLC were much better structured and felt like super fun, densely packed areas to explore, this is just a snowy rear end in a top hat full of annoying wolves and loving vikings with too much hp.

It's not a side passage. Did you just not go to the obvious wide open path to the left of the bridge? You haven't even done half the DLC yet.

Seriously the critical path for this area is not even remotely obfuscated. All the sneaky and hidden stuff is optional.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ok I'm taking my character through NG+ and noticed something I have never seen before. I am probably just stupid and missed it.

It Irythyll when you come up the first ramp after passing through the Small Doll Dome and the fountain, there's an alleyway to the left. I could have sworn it was always a dead end but now it has a fog wall and a door that says DOES NOT OPEN FROM THIS SIDE. Where does this lead?

e: DLC Wolves tend to arc around you and then leap attack so just run to the cliff and watch three or four suicide.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Anyone else's game crashing a lot with the DLC? Cant remember any crashes back in vanilla, its crashing like mad on me now. Crashed in the first part where you descend to the wolves, just hangs with the menu music playing when I exit, just crashed loading from shrine to DLC area. Crash isn't even the right word really, it just hangs all the time with the music playing. Cant altF4, can get task manager up but cant switch windows, just get eternal blackness.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

weekly font posted:

Ok I'm taking my character through NG+ and noticed something I have never seen before. I am probably just stupid and missed it.

It Irythyll when you come up the first ramp after passing through the Small Doll Dome and the fountain, there's an alleyway to the left. I could have sworn it was always a dead end but now it has a fog wall and a door that says DOES NOT OPEN FROM THIS SIDE. Where does this lead?

e: DLC Wolves tend to arc around you and then leap attack so just run to the cliff and watch three or four suicide.

Hmm, maybe something new? Irythyll is pretty strongly connected to the DLC. What's behind the fog wall?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

enojy posted:

Hmm, maybe something new? Irythyll is pretty strongly connected to the DLC. What's behind the fog wall?

Nah, it's nothing new. That's the door back from the area where you find Dorhys' Gnawing. For whatever reason there's a fog wall there when you're doing multiplayer.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This DLC was fucken lame and felt incredibly lazy throughout. Dull area design, enemies that are mostly based around swarming you, lots of side paths that lead to jack poo poo, almost no NPCs (and certainly no memorable ones), only like one or two interesting items, one of the bosses is a loving joke, and while the other one is legit cool, it's way too long and the first two phases are just a waste of time.

Ugh, what a bummer.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So, turns out dark souls 3 has some kind of weird anti-cheat now. Trying to use cheat engine to just burn through the first areas real quick offline and my dude kept vanishing and the controls would lock down every few minutes. Don't know what the hell was causing it specifically, but it only happened when I had cheat engine running. Don't know when they added it in, but if no one else knew about it, there you go. No more cheat engine buggery I guess :shrug:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I liked the DLC :3:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Just beat the DLC with my first char and loving hell, they sure designed this DLC to get sorrounded by wolves or flies or forlorns or you get to meet the giant skyrim dudes that are Stone Guardians from DS1 (they even have the same attacks). I like both bossfights tho and corvian township is kind of cool even if the enemies are boring to fight (still better than loving starting zone with dozens of wolves chasing you down).

FROM also managed to create something worse than Anor Londo archers in form of dudes with high hp with explosive arrows that somehow hit you behind cover if you're close to the AoE zone. You either just run on the first two zones with wolves and forlorn dudes or have to turtle behind a shield with a greatlance or spear because they keep coming in packs... and running is mostly better once you know where the weapons or needed items are. I really want to see speedrunners through this because it's like they made this DLC for that since fighting is a chore.

The new weapons are awesome and I loving love the Ethereal Oak Shield (100% phy shield with 2hp/sec effect and good stats on top of that). So I guess is worth to speedrun this DLC for 3 slabs and some weapons. Wich drives me crazy is the titanite drops. Considering the difficulty of the DLC, you barely get chunks but you get swarmed by shards and large shards, gently caress that, give me chunks. By the time you enter the DLC you should have loads or just farm them on Anor Londo.

Did I like the DLC? Mmmm mixed feelings: Good weapons/shields, cool bossfights and decent level design but lovely new enemies and their placement suck the fun out of it.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 26, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Your Computer posted:

So you're saying

1) Poise makes attacks not stagger you. More poise = shrug off bigger attacks.

and

2) Poise gives you a couple of super armor frames, but only if:
  • You get hit at the exact right moment
  • You're using certain (large) weapons
  • You're already in the middle of a swing

Is exactly the same?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to argue for whether the change is good or bad I'm just saying that it's not weird for people to think the stat somehow broke.

Be wary of words, therefore try reading. Poise was strong in DaS, the devs did not like this, so they nerfed it for DS2, restricting its scope from "always on" to "on during attacks only". They then nerfed it again for DS3, restricting its scope from "on during attacks only" to "on during attacks with heavy weapons only". They didn't break the mechanic in any meaningful sense, it still does something and is not bugged out. Moreover this process of nerfs was entirely purposeful and you can even see what they were trying to achieve with it. You can see this isn't a case of a bug because the original poise mechanic is still in the loving game! It's just a skill that you have to spend FP and use specific weapons to employ, rather than a constantly active passive ability. I don't particularly like it either and have made that clear in other posts but that didn't really come across I guess, so boohoo they broke it, b-team sux, from fix game, etc. I'll get over it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

Be wary of words, therefore try reading.

skasion posted:

They didn't break the mechanic in any meaningful sense, it still does something and is not bugged out.

Take your own advice, I'm not saying it's broken or bugged. I'm just saying it's not weird for people to think that since it's changed a lot and the new system is barely noticeable to the point where it took the entire community ages to even find out what it actually does v:v:v

My response was to someone asking if the poise questions were trolls and I'm saying that, to a lot of people poise seems broken compared to the previous games.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The PvP arena is fun, I like they have silly presets like 6 man free for all. Hopefully people continue to use it unlike the artorias arena

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

It's not a side passage. Did you just not go to the obvious wide open path to the left of the bridge? You haven't even done half the DLC yet.

Seriously the critical path for this area is not even remotely obfuscated. All the sneaky and hidden stuff is optional.

I am pretty weird when it comes to ladders in these games, the only times I have ever got stuck for an extended period and been unable to find a way forward is when I had to go down a ladder to continue, I was stuck for something like 5 hours in blighttown on my first time through and I probably ran directly past the ladder I had to climb down a few dozen times.

In fact I still didn't see the path next to the bridge, I only found it because I found the hidden area leading from the ice area under the bridge when ends up dropping you out on that path.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Your Computer posted:

I liked the DLC :3:

Same. I thought the wolves were pretty cool too

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Sometimes it surprises me how much people will defend questionable decisions made by a game company. Like ok so poise makes it so you get like 4 frames of hyper-armor and otherwise is a useless stat, not really a big deal, Bloodborne didn't have any poise at all. I think where most people are upset is how gimping the poo poo out of poise limits build selection, they could've just made it so instead of being able to eat 15 hits from weaker enemies like in DS1 you could just eat say 4 hits, or even 2 hits would be useful. Why should I dump 50 points into a stat just to wear Havel's armor when the armor the K***ht starts with is equally as effective hyper-armor-wise. Why even roll a heavy when my 25 vitality dancer's armor character get's just as much hyper-armor using a Claymore as my Havel Claymore character? I await the poo poo storm.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 26, 2016

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lakbay posted:

The PvP arena is fun, I like they have silly presets like 6 man free for all. Hopefully people continue to use it unlike the artorias arena

There's a bigger playerbase now compared to DS1. I hope that on PC it'll keep going strong with Steam sales.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Jesus christ, the Follower's Sabre is insane. This thing is an absolute gently caress machine.

400+ AR with fast attacks, reasonably long reach, hits wide around you, and its weapon art is a guard break followed up by a super fast strong attack that seems to work well and is worth using even without FP.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Boo I cannot use CMW on my valorheart :mad:.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

My pvp arena experience so far concludes: duels are trash filled with patches squatting 13 year olds, 2v2s don't even connect, 3v3s are the best, and 6 man free for alls are silly as gently caress but definitely fun. Also pyromancers and sorcerers dominate almost every mode except duels.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's been four games From how are you still loving up collision detection on slopes. These roots are a nightmare.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Jesus christ, the Follower's Sabre is insane. This thing is an absolute gently caress machine.

400+ AR with fast attacks, reasonably long reach, hits wide around you, and its weapon art is a guard break followed up by a super fast strong attack that seems to work well and is worth using even without FP.

The weapons generally seem pretty cool. The Crow Quills are a straight upgrade from the rapier and are also one of the few weapons which is actually worth using as sharp instead of refined! 389AR with 10str/40dex, 130 crit multiplier, longer than the rapier (just slightly below half way between rapier and estoc lengths, I think), and some of the L1 attacks are actually not bad, the rolling attack comes out extremely fast though has very low range and the various L1 swings might have their uses (the 3rd attack in the chain in particular). The weapon art seems a bit awkward and weak but if you can shotgun someone with all the knives it should do solid damage.

My least favourite thing about it by far is that it uses the stupid loving "poke and run away" attack instead of a kick.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow, GCFO just melts the greatwolf. Like, that wasn't even a fight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RBA Starblade posted:

Wow, GCFO just melts the greatwolf. Like, that wasn't even a fight.

GCFO does that too almost everything.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

:negative: finally managed to beat the dancer with my +3 broadsword. Getting the moonlight greatsword at this point will be in no way worth it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

GCFO does that too almost everything.

Yeah but usually not that bad. :v:

The Undead Match has shown me two things:

1. Poise is still worthless
2. The Dragon Tooth has an insane hit box

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Tarezax posted:

Nah, it's nothing new. That's the door back from the area where you find Dorhys' Gnawing. For whatever reason there's a fog wall there when you're doing multiplayer.

Had to look this up cause holy poo poo I've beaten the game five times and never found that illusory wall(railing).

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Nuebot posted:

So, turns out dark souls 3 has some kind of weird anti-cheat now. Trying to use cheat engine to just burn through the first areas real quick offline and my dude kept vanishing and the controls would lock down every few minutes. Don't know what the hell was causing it specifically, but it only happened when I had cheat engine running. Don't know when they added it in, but if no one else knew about it, there you go. No more cheat engine buggery I guess :shrug:

Methinks you're just using an old table that doesn't work right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

Methinks you're just using an old table that doesn't work right.

That's probably the case, just manually doing what I wanted is working fine. :shrug: Oh well, don't need it for now, now that I'm done with high wall. High wall is probably my single least favorite starting area in the series. Neither undead burg or forest of giants is as annoying or boring imo.