Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Ensign Expendable posted:

The graphic from Wikipedia ignores how they died. A Soviet soldier that dies as a POW counts as dead, whereas a German soldier that's still removed from fighting by capture but survives captivity does not.

Why do you not appreciate wehrmacht kdr padding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
And I mean, the German soldier still didn't actually die in that case did they?

I think I agree the graphic isn't something to be basing an argument off of but I don't think including German soldiers who didn't die in a graphic of war dead is necessary.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Koramei posted:

And I mean, the German soldier still didn't actually die in that case did they?

I think I agree the graphic isn't something to be basing an argument off of but I don't think including German soldiers who didn't die in a graphic of war dead is necessary.
it is if you're arguing against the "hordes" myth. "it's not that they don't care about human life it's that the nazis are killing the pows" is an argument

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

feedmegin posted:

Well, while this is true, it wasn't just prewar Germany (a much larger Germany than today, don't forget - it included Austria, western Poland, the Czech Republic, etc), but also occupied France, Belgium, Denmark, etc, plus co-belligerants such as Italy and Hungary and even volunteers from Spain. The Soviet Union was fighting essentially the rest of Europe (granted, a lot of it not exactly fully on-board with the plan) minus the UK and Ireland. It's not quite as one-sided as you might think.

Doesn't the fact that some of those countries are occupied imply it's even worse for Germany? Now you're using manpower and resources to occupy, conduct anti partisan duties, etc rather than using them against the SU. My understanding on Spanish volunteers is that they are essentially a drop in the bucket numbers-wise

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

They most likely wouldn't have steamrolled western Europe either, even without nukes in the picture. Yes, the Soviets had probably the largest and most hardened land army of the time, but they had pretty much tapped out both their industrial capacity and manpower. If the Soviets decided they wanted a war with the western Allies they probably could have wrecked the border units initially, but the Allies (especially the US) had piles of unused manpower and economies still not completely converted to a war focus that could easily pick up the slack. Plus, the Soviet Union had basically no navy or strategic air force so goodbye any industry in range of B-29's or whatever you have to import over water.

afaik the US is one story, but the UK had been short on manpower since 1944

Tevery Best posted:

I'm not sure what you're getting at with kooky steppe outfits? But Sarmatism was a cultural current that permeated most of the Polish noble society in the 17th century, and the Hussars were naturally some of the wealthiest combatants around (look, when your equipment has to involve a leopard skin, it gets pricy). Slightly poorer nobles became (towarzysze) pancerni, who were a bit less heavily (and expensively) equipped, and, depending on the situation, either fulfilled similar battlefield purposes to the Hussars or acted as support for them.

I forgot to respond to you! Sarmatism is very striking to me because it seems like such a divergent cultural trend in comparison to the rest of Europe at the time. The "kooky steppe outfits" is something I remember from an essay on Polish nobility that basically railed on them for dressing "in the manner of tartars", it was all very Orientalist. I'm not going to defend that view, but I'm also somebody brought up in a very Western Europe-centric viewpoint, so I still don't understand how Sarmartism really manifested as a Polish idea.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Steppe Nomads are cool as hell that's why.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

FastestGunAlive posted:

Doesn't the fact that some of those countries are occupied imply it's even worse for Germany? Now you're using manpower and resources to occupy, conduct anti partisan duties, etc rather than using them against the SU. My understanding on Spanish volunteers is that they are essentially a drop in the bucket numbers-wise

On the other hand you have volunteers for the various non-German SS units and decidedly non-volunteer slave labour to produce munitions (plus all the gear those countries already had pre-occupation e.g. the Czech tanks that were the basis of the Hetzer), and if you're talking about e.g. Denmark the resources you expend on occupation are fairly small and you need dudes there in any case to defend against what would eventually be D-Day. On the whole I suspect Germany gained more than it lost.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Steppe Nomads are cool as hell that's why.

Well, except when they are doing pogroms because they feel like it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tias posted:

Anyone know anything about Operation Barras? I just came across it, and it sounds incredible that one squadron of the SAS could kill or capture a majority of militia members!
That's pretty much a standard regular/irregular force balance TBH. If anything the British over-committed forces to it putting things on weirdly almost numerically even footing and the skill and equipment disparity resulting in the casualty difference. There was basically a full company of regulars committed to the rescue, with SAS actually carrying it out while the majority of the West Side Boys were distracted by a whole pile of angry Paras shooting poo poo up.

For something truly mad look at things like the Siege of Jadotville(now showing on Netflix!) or Zero Six Bravo and you'll see "holy poo poo" levels of force disparity.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Welp:

Meat. "The yardstick of protein foods."

Letters to the editor giving names that could be used as alternatives to "horsemeat."

total lack of meat causes interest in alternatives

MEAT: all cuts provide nutrients!

American Meat Institute - helping you to consume meat.

Coffee rationing: thanks to the second "happy time" of the U-boats, coffee shipments from south America were sharply curtailed. Coffee rationing for everyone!

In a total war, everyone's a soldier, even "the housewife." Right?

Canned food now on ration list

e: looks like there were distinct food shortages due to government fuckups: https://books.google.ca/books?id=RU4EAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA17&dq=meat%20rationing&pg=PA15#v=onepage&q=meat%20rationing&f=false

I swear Life did a special article on horsemeat and how it is perfectly fine, but I'll be damned if I can find it

E2: An article you will never, ever, see in Cosmo

One more: Standard Army meals, in color

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 26, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Whenever people express wonder at the effectiveness of trained troops against enthusiastic amateurs I would probably just invoke the thought experiment of how many abu hajaars it would take to win a war.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OwlFancier posted:

Whenever people express wonder at the effectiveness of trained troops against enthusiastic amateurs I would probably just invoke the thought experiment of how many abu hajaars it would take to win a war.
the thing about france was that for a while, they had more abu hajaars than you had dudes who knew what they were doing

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

hadn't seen that vid before, but it was really interesting

HEY GAL posted:

the thing about france was that for a while, they had more abu hajaars than you had dudes who knew what they were doing

when was this?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SlothfulCobra posted:

"The bulk of the fighting " is a bit of a nebulous concept, but they did do the bulk of the dying, by far, as illustrated by this graphic from wikipedia.

They also did the bulk of the killing, I think. Glantz:

quote:

Only China, which suffered almost continuous Japanese attack from 1931 onward, matched the level of Soviet suffering and effort. In military terms, moreover, the Chinese participation in the war was almost insignificant in comparison with that of the Soviets, who were constantly engaged and absorbed more than half of all German forces.

From June through December 1941...over three million German troops fought in the East, while less than a million struggled elsewhere, attended to occupied Europe, or rested in the homeland. From December 1941 through November 1942, while over nine million troops on both sides struggled in the East, the only significant ground action in the Western Theater took place in North Africa...In November 1942, the British celebrated victory over the Germans at El Alamein, defeating four German divisions and a somewhat larger Italian force, and inflicting 60,000 Axis losses. The same month, at Stalingrad, the Soviets defeated and encircled German Sixth Army, damaged Fourth Panzer Army, and smashed Rumanian Third and Fourth Armies, eradicating over 50 divisions and over 300,000 men from the Axis order of battle.

German armed forces' losses to war's end numbered 13,488,000 men (75 percent of the mobilized forces and 46% of the 1939 male population of Germany). Of these, 10,758,000 fell or were taken prisoner in the East.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know that most of the Germans were killed by the Russians, I posted that mainly because Russia has this massive chunk, whereas the rest of the allied powers (excluding the chinas) barely register in comparison. I suppose only counting military deaths also skews things by leaving out a lot of the death toll from the bombings.

There's a really good infographic youtube video where they break down all the deaths of World War 2, and it all seems pretty straightforward, a lot of people died in the first part of the war, but then it pans over to the bar for Russia and starts showing German and Russian deaths go up, and up, and up...really puts things into a horrifying perspective. :stare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWUaDMuMATM

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SlothfulCobra posted:

"The bulk of the fighting " is a bit of a nebulous concept, but they did do the bulk of the dying, by far, as illustrated by this graphic from wikipedia.

I have this weird opinion that graphs/charts/whatever showing military casualties in WW2 (and, for that matter, WW1) should never be shown without also showing civilian casualties graphs/charts/whatever. I mean, Poland. Just... Poland...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lol at the bombings skewing things for Germany if you include civilians.

Go look up soviet civilian deaths

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lol at the bombings skewing things for Germany if you include civilians.

Go look up soviet civilian deaths

Aren't the bombings actually really small on the grand scale of things, compared to stuff like famine?

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

feedmegin posted:

On the other hand you have volunteers for the various non-German SS units and decidedly non-volunteer slave labour to produce munitions (plus all the gear those countries already had pre-occupation e.g. the Czech tanks that were the basis of the Hetzer), and if you're talking about e.g. Denmark the resources you expend on occupation are fairly small and you need dudes there in any case to defend against what would eventually be D-Day. On the whole I suspect Germany gained more than it lost.

Indeed the only reason the German logistical train worked at all approaching well in 1941 was the vast amount of lorries, fuel, rolling stock, horses and other miscellaneous items they nicked from occupied Europe.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Fangz posted:

Aren't the bombings actually really small on the grand scale of things, compared to stuff like famine?

Yeah. I mean, plenty were killed but it was on the order of 250,000-500,000.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chump Farts posted:

I'm trying to build up my Eastern Front library for grad school and, uh, is there a way to get Franz Halder's diary that isn't 50 bucks or more? poo poo seems more rare and expensive than I thought it would be.

Still catching up with the thread but:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=Franz+Halder

Ebook versions (Part 1 and Part 2) for like... 15$

Paperback versions might run you about 40$

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

These are all great, thanks!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Uh

quote:

Sirs:
Here are several tempting names, any of which could be proudly used by the leading hotels, and which certainly should tempt the most ticklish palates:
Centaur Steaks
Fillets of Pegasus
Crown Roast of Percheron
Pot Roast of Withers
Braised Fetlocks

WILMA SOMMERER
St. Louis, Mo.

uuuhh

quote:

Centaur Steaks

Yeah, that might tempt the most ticklish palates (and none others).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

And now I know the wine match for horsemeat. Didn't expect it to be chianti but the more you know.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

xthetenth posted:

And now I know the wine match for horsemeat. Didn't expect it to be chianti but the more you know.

If you're looking for a centaur offer on the menu to go with the chianti, I'd suggest eating the liver and some fava beans to go with that.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Given that when was the last time a head of state actually took field command of his army? N3 was considered pretty wacky for doing it when he did and just about everyone saw it as him trying to emulate his more famous namesake.

Haile Selassie commanded Ethiopian forces personally against the Italians.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I've got some important questions about trenches. They're neat, but they also look really horrifying to have to live in and I'm not quite sure how they work.

I understand that holes dug into the water table will quickly fill with water, and you have to fortify the back to keep the stupid fuckers in the rear trench from shooting you in the back of the head, but why did they build their trenches exactly this way? How does it drain? What's that bell for? How would you cook your horsemeat in a trench?

How much protection do these things really provide?

Why does the smug German ghost have a much nicer trench?

What happens if someone poops in the trench?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ghetto Prince posted:

What happens if someone poops in the trench?

Chances are there's a specific part of the trench for pooping lest you end up with everyone in the trench pooping until they drop dead from dehydration.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ghetto Prince posted:

Why does the smug German ghost have a much nicer trench?

Because he's overcome with defeatism! Digging in is for pussies, now come on lads one more assault and then we can go home.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What was the strategic significance of the Khe Sanh combat base? Why was LBJ and Westmoreland even willing to consider the use of nuclear weapons just to protect this place?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Arquinsiel posted:

That's pretty much a standard regular/irregular force balance TBH. If anything the British over-committed forces to it putting things on weirdly almost numerically even footing and the skill and equipment disparity resulting in the casualty difference. There was basically a full company of regulars committed to the rescue, with SAS actually carrying it out while the majority of the West Side Boys were distracted by a whole pile of angry Paras shooting poo poo up.

For something truly mad look at things like the Siege of Jadotville(now showing on Netflix!) or Zero Six Bravo and you'll see "holy poo poo" levels of force disparity.

Yeah, reading up on it, I see that they used quite a bit more manpower than I originally thought. Mea culpa!

Cool! I'll check them out.

OwlFancier posted:

Well, the Westside Boys weren't exactly 'amateurs'. They were irregulars, sure, but some of them had been fighting in the civil war for 9 years at that point. Apparently they were heavily into drugs, and tricked into revealing the location of their hideout by Royal Signals, but one has to assume they knew how to fight.

All forces have their Abu Hajaars, but surely not that many.

gradenko_2000 posted:

What was the strategic significance of the Khe Sanh combat base? Why was LBJ and Westmoreland even willing to consider the use of nuclear weapons just to protect this place?

It was simply expertly placed: It protected Route 9, which would be the place to win/lose the war if North Korean armor came knocking; provided entrance into Laos, was a strategically important airstrip, and also a perfect staging area for ground operations into the trail.

Tias fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 26, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
doble postin

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Trenches are awesome. And offer almost complete protection to shrapnel shells, which is why they are super narrow. The shell has to land in the trench to hurt people. Same reason the trenches zig/zag, so if a shell does land in a trench it can only hurt people in that particular zig, or zag. When the armies started digging, everyone pretty much exclusively had shrapnel shells so trenches were super effective.

When everyone realised that trenches were a thing, everyone started building as much heavy artillery as they could and the high explosive shells required. With enough arty and shells, any wwi trench could be destroyed. Building the arty and the shells was the issue and took them years to gear up.

Water table is an issue. And areas with high water tables, earthworks were built "up" so they didnt have to dig as far down. Also arty bombardment wrecks the drainage of any area, badly.

Germans had much better trenches largely a result of different doctrine. Their assault on france failed and then chose to direct their full fury against the russians. They were there to stay, for years, and they built their trenches accordingly. Deep bunkers too and some officers quarters were even carpeted.

The french on the other hand refused to tolerate the germans occupying large sections of the country and viewed trenches as very temporary constructs, until the germans could be evicted. And were built accordingly.

British trenches was something that existed between these two extremes.

Trenches were pretty poo poo to be in , particularly french trenches. The brits recognized this and very quickly rotated men in and out, continously. Such that any one man would only generally be in the front line, 2/3 days each week.

The french were very slow to develop this type of rotation. Many factors but their poo poo trenches and poor rotation contributed to their mutinies.

More on hygiene later , and poetry!

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
The Germans also tended to give up a little territory in order to build their trenches on better terrain, on hills and so forth. Giving them better drainage and allowing them to look into their enemies trenches.

Defecation was very serious business, particularly in trenches.
If I recall correctly, the British (Most of my reading just happened to be form the British perspective) built two types of latrines or "long drops". A shallower one, which would fill up and then closed. And apparently you can dig a deeper one, such that the exreta would seep into the ground at a rate greater than it would fill up and would last. Again apparently, these things could be exploded by artillery.

Churchill actually had a not awful idea, identifying that there were more sailors than they needed and they were desperately short on infantrymen. So they decided to form an infantry division from sailors, the 63rd Royal Naval Division. Apparently the type of discipline between the navy and the army were not quiet the same, especially regarding defecation. When a particular Major-General Cameron Shute took command of the division, was apparently appalled at the "hygiene practices of the division" and tried to fix it and in doing so became extremely unpopular. Resulting in my opinion, one of the best works of literature, ever.

"The General inspecting the trenches
Exclaimed with a horrified shout
"I refuse to command a division
Which leaves its excreta about".

But nobody took any notice
No one was prepared to refute,
That the presence of poo poo was congenial
Compared to the presence of Shute.

And certain responsible critics
Made haste to reply to his words
Observing that his staff advisors
Consisted entirely of turds.

For poo poo may be shot at odd corners
And paper supplied there to suit,
But a poo poo would be shot without mourners
If somebody shot that poo poo Shute."

Written by Sub-Lieutenant A. P. Herbert. No idea how that effected their relationship.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

BattleMoose posted:

For poo poo may be shot at odd corners
And paper supplied there to suit,
But a poo poo would be shot without mourners
If somebody shot that poo poo Shute."

World War I poetry has redeemed itself.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BattleMoose posted:

Same reason the trenches zig/zag, so if a shell does land in a trench it can only hurt people in that particular zig, or zag.

That's not the only reason. If a Bad Guy gets in your trench with an automatic weapon, you don't want him to be able to shoot as far as he can see along the trench in both directions. Zigzagging gives you more cover when you're being assaulted.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

feedmegin posted:

That's not the only reason. If a Bad Guy gets in your trench with an automatic weapon, you don't want him to be able to shoot as far as he can see along the trench in both directions. Zigzagging gives you more cover when you're being assaulted.

Man portable automatic weapons were not relevant when trenches were first constructed with zigzags.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hogge Wild posted:

hadn't seen that vid before, but it was really interesting

when was this?

The French Revolutionary Wars showed that if you get enough Abu hajaars (pere jeans?) against an uncoordinated unmotivated enemy you can win.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
So basically the french were good at herding abu hajaars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

JcDent posted:

So basically the french were good at herding abu hajaars.

Key is having a few important people who aren't Abu hajaars who can do the herding.