Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

RBC posted:

you guys are missing the most obvious point: its a startup. it doesnt have to make money or have a realistic business plan.

Canada in a nutshell. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I used to work at a place that had monthly payroll :(

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I get paid monthly now, it's mostly OK. I prefer N-weekly for predictability, ideally.

15-45 day latency on expenses sorta sucks though.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

dev286 posted:

Re: pension depression

I weep at the thought that both my grandparents retired with massive municipal employee DB pensions and had gold plated health plans for their entire twilight years.
That coupled with depression era stinginess and property value increases my grandmother died with a net worth of $2.5 Millon.
Even after paying for my grandfather to live at a five star retirement home for the last 10years of his life...

There is literally no way for anyone in our generation to replicate that kind of retirement. It was a one time thing, never to be repeated.

Just gotta hope the Singularitarians are right and that by 2050 we can all upload our brains to San Junipero for retirement+

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I like because it's called "Instant" and there's no link to anything in the article it's virtually impossible to search for it. Even "Instant App" turns up tons of garbage.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Any business that pays it's employees on the 1st and 15th of the month can burn to the ground.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I make twice my monthly expenses in a week, and thus have no problem waiting 14 days to be paid because who regularly blows multiple thousands in that timespan holy gently caress. :agesilaus:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I've been reading a lot of about the effect of Canada's film tax incentives on provincial budgets recently, and it's maddening to try to figure out what perspective to take on them. On the one hand, it's good to support the arts, and most of the people who write articles against the incentives seem to be libertarians who also tout the "sharing economy" and reduced labor protections. And I usually vehemently disagree with those people one everything. On the other hand the subsidy war displaces artists and seems to divert money from necessary social services, as well as depriving Canadian studios of talent when a big studio from another country swoops in to cash in on tax credits. Canada is hardly the only place offering these incentives, but they're probably the most generous here, whereas US state governments have been cutting back.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

Any business that pays it's employees on the 1st and 15th of the month can burn to the ground.

What's wrong with that? I've never had any issues come up because of it, and I kinda like it compared to every other week.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

Ccs posted:

I've been reading a lot of about the effect of Canada's film tax incentives on provincial budgets recently, and it's maddening to try to figure out what perspective to take on them. On the one hand, it's good to support the arts, and most of the people who write articles against the incentives seem to be libertarians who also tout the "sharing economy" and reduced labor protections. And I usually vehemently disagree with those people one everything. On the other hand the subsidy war displaces artists and seems to divert money from necessary social services, as well as depriving Canadian studios of talent when a big studio from another country swoops in to cash in on tax credits. Canada is hardly the only place offering these incentives, but they're probably the most generous here, whereas US state governments have been cutting back.

The incentives cover 55% of VFX workers salaries in the form of a cash payment to studios in Hollywood. The money doesn't even go to the VFX houses. It is crazy, unsustainable, expensive and probably violates international trade law. One day the subsidies will end and that industry will leave a lot of people without jobs. But hey, if you guys want to pay over half the cost of making Star Wars and the like with no backend participation go nuts.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Ccs posted:

and it's maddening to try to figure out what perspective to take on them.

Let me help you here: They are very clearly bad.

See also: tech worker subsidies, dairy subsidies, etc

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

blah_blah posted:

Let me help you here: They are very clearly bad.

See also: tech worker subsidies, dairy subsidies, etc

I agree here for the most part, though I'm OK with subsidies for apprentices and interns in most industries (probably not "tech" like software, maybe for bench science), maybe bounded by company size/revenue.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Subjunctive posted:

Like any other company providing a benefit on behalf of an employer: the employer pays for the service.

And some of that comes out of the employee's "contractor's" pay. TINSTAAFL.

DariusLikewise posted:

In all seriousness, why? I never had a problem getting paid twice a month, and you sure as hell shouldn't be relying on getting 26 paychecks instead of 24 as a forced savings plan.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Ccs posted:

Extraordinarily little of the subsidy nonsense that goes on could be credibly argued to equate to "supporting the arts". We're literally paying Hollywood payroll with tax revenues.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Lexicon posted:

Extraordinarily little of the subsidy nonsense that goes on could be credibly argued to equate to "supporting the arts". We're literally paying Hollywood payroll with tax revenues.

"Supporting the arts" sounds a lot better than "massively subsidizing Ubisoft Toronto to design much of FarCry Primal's animal control system, which allows players to recruit sabretooth tigers, bears and other creatures as sidekicks".

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I remember being a grad student and getting paid once every 4 months if they remembered and 5 if they didn't and then oops did you actually want all of the pay you're owed? How rude!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

"Supporting the arts" sounds a lot better than "massively subsidizing Ubisoft Toronto to design much of FarCry Primal's animal control system, which allows players to recruit sabretooth tigers, bears and other creatures as sidekicks".

It does!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Postess with the Mostest posted:

This is an outright misrepresentation of ubisoft toronto, they do motion capture for their games up here not pet control systems psh get with it friendo.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

This is an outright misrepresentation of ubisoft toronto, they do motion capture for their games up here not pet control systems psh get with it friendo.

Look pal, take it up with canadianbusiness dot com web magazine, not me.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/innovation/ubisofts-global-workforce-now-develops-games-around-the-clock/

quote:

Ubisoft Toronto, which recently celebrated its fifth birthday, is a case in point. The studio, now up to 400 employees, was a key contributor to the recently released shooter Far Cry Primal, along with Ubisoft Shanghai and Ubisoft Kiev.

Ubisoft Montreal led the project and created about half of the open Stone Age world that the game is set in, as well as its core missions. Ubisoft Toronto filled in the blanks with the setting and designed much of its animal control system, which allows players to recruit sabretooth tigers, bears and other creatures as sidekicks.

Shanghai designed some side missions and Kiev put together the PC version of the game.

It was Toronto’s second foray into the Far Cry franchise, having worked on Far Cry 4 (2014), also led by Montreal. Ubisoft Toronto designed a side sequence that involved hunting alongside a tiger, which proved popular internally and set the ground work for Primal.

“It became one of the core pillars of the game,” Parizeau says.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pinewood has a games division that does the same kind of stuff as well.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Source: my friend has credits for a bunch of ubisoft motion capture stuff, welcome to precarious employment paid piecemeal friendos

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Lobok posted:

Pinewood has a games division that does the same kind of stuff as well.

I pick on Ubisoft because

quote:

In 2009, the Ontario government courted Ubisoft to set up shop in the province by pledging a grant of up to $263-million over 10 years until 2020.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh I don't mind you picking on Ubisoft, I only mentioned Pinewood because it makes the issue murkier when you have a company who does movies and videogames. It's the perfect handout combo of Silicon Valley North + movie industry subsidies.

Well, the other reason I mentioned it is because I was given a free Pinewood desk calendar and this month happens to highlight their games stuff.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Surprise of the century, Adrienne Carr of the Green Party likes Airbnb because it enriches landlords helps regular struggling folks get by in a tough world

G&M posted:

City inspectors have found Airbnb rentals that were nothing more than backyard storage sheds – without bathrooms – behind a house near Boundary Road.

They found a 14-unit building in the south Granville area where every apartment was listed for short-term rental.

And they’ve discovered property managers listing 10 or more units at once for stays as short as one night.

Those are some of the cases that city staff outlined in a confidential memo to councillors this week as the city steps up its campaign against short-term rentals, which appear to be removing long-term housing from the market or simply pose safety concerns.

“Staff are using lessons learned from these enforcement cases to design a cost-effective, comprehensive compliance system,” wrote Kaye Krishna, the city’s new manager of development services, in the memo.

The city also recently went to court to get an injunction to stop the owner of several townhouse units in one complex in Fairview from renting them out through Airbnb. That entailed having a city staffer monitor the rentals for several weeks, then booking and staying at a unit for two nights. The owner has responded to the city and the units are no longer available on Airbnb, said the city’s chief licensing inspector, Andreea Toma.

But she said dealing with others is an ongoing campaign.

City staff have received 55 complaints about short-term rentals this year, almost triple the 19 they received for all of 2015. She said city staff are not “going out there and looking for these short-term rentals” and are instead responding only to complaints.

Ms. Toma emphasized that staff are prioritizing complaints that involve buildings or property managers with multiple units for rent – commercial operators, essentially – and unsafe buildings.

City staff estimate there are currently 5,300 Airbnb listings for Vancouver. (Airbnb is just one of 13 platforms that allow people to book vacation rentals, but it is the largest.) However, Ms. Toma said only a handful are showing up as multiple listings run by one operator.

A city news release also said staff would move quickly to crack down on short-term rentals in social housing, but Ms. Toma said there haven’t been any cases like that.

Kishone Roy, the CEO of the BC Non-Profit Housing Association, said that would be very unlikely, since non-profit operators would be very quick to notice any kind of abuse of tax-supported housing.

No Airbnb listing will be legal until the city passes a new bylaw some time this fall. The city is planning to legalize short-term rentals for people who are renting out a room in their principal residence or even the whole residence if they are away temporarily. But the proposed bylaw would not allow short-term rentals for basement suites, laneway houses or any unit that appears to be operated as a full-time vacation-rental business.

Ms. Toma said early feedback from public consultations indicates the public doesn’t have a problem with people renting all or part of their own single-family homes.

Green Party Councillor Adriane Carr said she has only received calls or messages from people who like the idea of short-term rentals because it allows them to make ends meet in a tough, expensive city.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

tagesschau posted:

And some of that comes out of the employee's "contractor's" pay. TINSTAAFL.

In all seriousness, why? I never had a problem getting paid twice a month, and you sure as hell shouldn't be relying on getting 26 paychecks instead of 24 as a forced savings plan.

It can be very challenging for people living cheque to cheque especially when you don't get paid on the weekend if it falls on those days. Your rent is due on the first but you don't get paid til the 3rd cause of a long weekend? Too bad thats your fault for living in poverty

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Your hourly rate should be constantly micro-deposited in real time as you work.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
same but also with all interest too.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I got paid in cash every night when I was a pizza delivery driver back in Uni and it loving owned

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Coxswain Balls posted:

What's wrong with that? I've never had any issues come up because of it, and I kinda like it compared to every other week.

If the 1st or the 15th ends up on a weekend you could end up 4 days past those days before you get paid, whereas every Thursday or Friday guarantees you pay at equal intervals.

The thing that makes angry about is that semi-monthly pay was dreamed up by a lean consultant as a way to save a few dollars on payroll every year.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I get paid on the 14th and 28th and if one of those days falls on a holiday I get paid before. That'd be some bullshit if I didn't get paid until after.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Our disruptive PayStream™ system comes bundled with the AutoManager™ eye/motion tracking system. When an employee stops working for longer than 10 seconds, the AutoManager™ pauses their PayStream™ until work resumes.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Lobok posted:

I get paid on the 14th and 28th and if one of those days falls on a holiday I get paid before. That'd be some bullshit if I didn't get paid until after.

15th and last, but otherwise yeah. That'd be insane if they could hold your pay. Saturday, Sunday, Christmas, Boxing Day, sorry, your pay is five days late.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
You can tell who's paycheque to paycheque here pretty easily.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Risky Bisquick posted:

You can tell who's paycheque to paycheque here pretty easily.

Wanting to be paid on time outs people as financial disasters, you heard it here first.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Lobok posted:

Wanting to be paid on time outs people as financial disasters, you heard it here first.

When you're employer is late ask for a micro loan to bridge you through the hardship

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Risky Bisquick posted:

When you're employer is late ask for a micro loan to bridge you through the hardship

People don't want to have to keep an amount of money in their chequing account doing nothing purely as a buffer against the managerial incompetence of their employer.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Butcher posted:

Our disruptive PayStream™ system comes bundled with the AutoManager™ eye/motion tracking system. When an employee stops working for longer than 10 seconds, the AutoManager™ pauses their PayStream™ until work resumes.

When a friend of mine worked in VFX in India, he'd be locked out of his computer if he didn't move his mouse for 2 minutes. Then he wouldn't be paid for the time it took to write a letter to the supervisor and wait to get the computer unlocked, which was about an hour or two. Considering the price of the equipment vs. the average Indian worker, this was probably not a profit-saving move but just absurdly terrible and vindictive management.

Anyway Canadian film workers should be glad there's no Canadian Koch brothers. Those guys just killed the Florida film tax incentives and are moving on to discourage the incentives in other states: http://deadline.com/2016/10/koch-brothers-florida-film-industry-tax-incentives-lobbying-1201838246/

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Lobok posted:

People don't want to have to keep an amount of money in their chequing account doing nothing purely as a buffer against the managerial incompetence of their employer.

Pro tip, if your employer is late for cheques get th gently caress out.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ccs posted:

Anyway Canadian film workers should be glad there's no Canadian Koch brothers. Those guys just killed the Florida film tax incentives and are moving on to discourage the incentives in other states: http://deadline.com/2016/10/koch-brothers-florida-film-industry-tax-incentives-lobbying-1201838246/

I would nominate them for an Order of Canada award if they could snuff them out here as well. Disney doesn't need a 50% subsidy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

Pro tip, if your employer is late for cheques get th gently caress out.

Because its so easy to just walk into another job that offers equal hours and pay and benefits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA