Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

In Training posted:

I think someone mentioned it before but it sucks how bad the song is in the OP because I quite like the animation in it

it sounds like a song somebody might actually do a skating routine to, so i've really grown to like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

it sounds like a song somebody might actually do a skating routine to, so i've really grown to like it.

Yeah it's really grown on me.

Gnossiennes posted:

:smith: the playboy is going to toss him aside and move onto the next town

If Yuri's the playgirl then he's going to take the skating world by storm, so to speak :mrgw:

americong
May 29, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

If Yuri's the playgirl then he's going to take the skating world by storm, so to speak :mrgw:

was it just me and my watching buddy who got serious gender vibes from eros

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

In Training posted:

I think someone mentioned it before but it sucks how bad the song is in the OP because I quite like the animation in it

I actually love the song. The opening bit just makes my heart soar and when "we were born to make history" drops it's the most triumphant thing ever.

It's different, which I love! And the visuals are gorgeous! But then, I have a soft spot for both this kind of music and for those kinds of vocals. Blame Akeboshi.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Gnossiennes posted:

I really like the song v:shobon:v

Is there any discussion on this from a Japanese perspective? I know we would consider it a really good indication of "he is queer, this is proof" but are the writers meaning it that way? I'm interested to know.

:smith: the playboy is going to toss him aside and move onto the next town

The song has grown on me a lot too.
Since I don't think I've seen anyone mention it in thus thread: while he's accepting his "feminine" role, he refers to himself as "atashi", a female-only pronoun often used by drag queen characters. So yeah this is absolutely 100% queer. Sayo Yamamoto is known for some pretty progressive anime.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
That song might be my favorite part of the anime. Its like a stage musical number but with modern aesthetics.

Also anyone else catch that when victor showed off eros, that Yuri was like "THAT COULD MAKE A MAN LIKE ME PREGNANT" or something to that matter?

If this show doesnt deliver on gay im writing an angry letter to ....someone. Ill figure out who later. :argh:

Heliophage
Aug 28, 2006
Devourer of Suns

americong posted:

was it just me and my watching buddy who got serious gender vibes from eros

nope, this whole thing smacks of gender

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/hino_hiro/status/789503137857974272

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Alright well then I'll just share this too

https://twitter.com/kappanopdr/status/790181542983143424

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I heard some people on tumblr speculating that Yuri actually turned the story around by skating as the woman - that instead of her(/Yuri) being the passive seducee, instead she(/he) seduces the playboy(/Viktor). (ie, so the rest of the story won't happen the same; the playboy has been captivated.)

An interesting theory, but I think the first interpretation people came up with will be more accurate since it's more dramatic.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 24, 2016

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That's how I interpreted it

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

hopeandjoy posted:

I heard some people on tumblr speculating that Yuri actually turned the story around by skating as the woman - that instead of her(/Yuri) being the passive seducee, instead she(/he) seduces the playboy(/Viktor). (ie, so the rest of the story won't happen the same; the playboy has been captivated.)
That was how I took the story, yeah, since Yuri has already changed enough so that he can't possibly just be living the original version of the story straight through with Viktor, but I still feel like whatever Viktor's reason might be for coming there isn't super selfless (which doesn't mean he's a terrible person per se, just that Yuri is missing this) so that's still going to collapse in on him to some extent

:shrug:

Any goofy theory I come up with will be utterly invalidated in two weeks anyway and that's fine.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It would be cool if there was graphic anal sex in the rink.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Save it for your fanfiction

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

In Training posted:

Sounds like it could get uncomfortably chilly.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

In Training posted:

who would possibly want to see yuri, naked, on the ice?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the ending of the love story of yuri on ice will be a five second shot of yuri sitting on a large bowl of shaved ice

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Here is a cool figure skater dancing to History Maker

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

someone awful. posted:

who would possibly want to see yuri, naked, on the ice?

Viktor.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Man, the internet has been busy. Have some more links:

Comparison of the openings from episodes 1 and 2
Yuri Plisetsky's blades
More on the routines. plus the pressure of being a local sports hero
Why this isn't really Yuri's last season
Speculation on Victor's arc

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 24, 2016

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Knowing literally nothing about figure-skating, I really appreciate that blog entry for explaining the difficulty of the moves involved. It's so easy for a layman like me to forget this is a real, intensive sport when the pros make it look nearly effortless.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

*showing my age* I remember watching Scott Hamilton backflips and some of the early quad toe loop attempts and being enthralled yet as a kid still understanding that holy crap this is nuts these guys are going to kill themselves one day. And here we are in 2016 I didn't even know that 5 of 6 quads have been successfully been landed now, with the Axel I'm sure is just around the corner yet when I see it my brain won't comprehend what it just saw.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
To be fair, apparently some of the quads were only landed in competition *this year*. That's how tough they are.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

where's the gif from the first episode of the girl smashing the table

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

People wanted more essays, right?

How the routines would translate into scores
Yurio's spins

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Yes

That is some good poo poo. Thank you

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

:yeah:

This is my favorite part about this show now, thank you!

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
The Funimation dub came out today(?), good excuse to watch the first episode again.

I rather liked the voice choices, but take that as a grain of salt because I'm not usually very picky about anime english dubs. Victor's and Yurio's heavy accent was a very nice touch.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

This account has lots of dub clips beyond this first one:

https://twitter.com/breecss/status/790753225393643520

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

american VAs putting on fake accents triggers me. :rip: the chance at this show having a good dub

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Here's an essay on Victor's routine: http://iwillbeyourhands.tumblr.com/post/151495858582/as-a-long-time-figure-skating-fan-ive-been
I don't know how to fancy link.

I don't mind fake accents so much. Latin America's VA for Asuka of evangelion did a german accent that everyone seemed to love, tho the VA using the same voice for the MC in sukeban deka was weird as gently caress.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

This account has lots of dub clips beyond this first one:

https://twitter.com/breecss/status/790753225393643520

I'll admit it, I laughed.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Russian and Canadian accents are the same

Heliophage
Aug 28, 2006
Devourer of Suns
Reminder that this is the man Victor's character is based on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHR0qjr79fQ

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

AnacondaHL posted:

*showing my age* I remember watching Scott Hamilton backflips and some of the early quad toe loop attempts and being enthralled yet as a kid still understanding that holy crap this is nuts these guys are going to kill themselves one day. And here we are in 2016 I didn't even know that 5 of 6 quads have been successfully been landed now, with the Axel I'm sure is just around the corner yet when I see it my brain won't comprehend what it just saw.

I also distinctly remember that. The fact that they're regularly doing quads now is crazy.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Heliophage posted:

...wow, that really is him.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/breecss/status/790772980955709440

hassssetsss's greaat! ahmeeenit! youushuddreiillyvist

This dub is the opposite of sexy

https://twitter.com/breecss/status/790751842305085440

LUUUUOOOSAAAAHHH

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 26, 2016

americong
May 29, 2013

Heliophage posted:

I am now pregnant

even my male body

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Every time I think I see the trajectory they're going with here, I'm proven wrong.

Good episode!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

I loved all the character interactions on this episode, it was so fun. Seems that there is no easy aspect about the sport.

• Locked thread