Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

This one's also pretty good.

https://twitter.com/darth/status/791004914583384064

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monteunicorn
Jun 19, 2004

Cingulate posted:

This is actually impossible. You can't currently squeeze Pro-class hardware into that shell.

Although if they can, that'd be nothing less than amazing.

Yes you can
https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ASUS-ZenBook-3-UX390UA/
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-5257U-vs-Intel-7500U

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

mitztronic posted:

Anyone have any wild guesses as to what it might have?

The 15-inch new rMBPs are almost guaranteed to have the mobile versions of AMD/ATI's RX 470s / RX 480s, because people on MacRumors forums report being able to use RX 470/480 PCIe cards on their Mac Pro 4,1s (flashed to 5,1s) and 5,1s under macOS Sierra as fully working (with only a minor tweak in some cases) and already outputting to their favorite 4K displays.

Most likely the trend of using Intel Integrated graphics only on 13-inch models will continue.

Guaranteed the first batch of Late 2016 rMBPs will ship with at least macOS Sierra 10.12.1.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 25, 2016

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Forcing people out of their button instincts might also help boost Siri usage on Apple's desktop and laptop computers.

10/27/16: Apple announces they have reengineered the Pig to fly, and that they are also now 0.1" thinner

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well, that IS amazing.

Still needs a fan though, so it couldn't fit inside a regular Macbook shell.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No longer will I accidentally press Esc and take my browser out of full screen mode. Thanks Timb.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Hey no problem, just hit C-g, right? Oh, wait, you're running something other than Emacs? :smuggo:

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
But does It have a headphone jack?

Serious question at this point.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Twerk from Home posted:

What makes something Pro to you? Is it mass? Computing power, which is almost certainly going to improve? Battery life, also likely to get better?

A cooling solution that doesn't throttle the hardware horribly? Better than bottom-of-the-mid-range graphics options? A 4K screen? Ports?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I'm sure Apple is really miffed about losing the 10 people who still use Vim.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

Probably not an insignificant number since so many developers use Macs

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

If the Macbook keyboard is like the new Magic keyboard, it's awesome. I do a lot of typing, tremendous typing, no one types better than me, and let me tell you the magic keyboard is bigly. When I switch back to the current MacbookPro keyboard it's Sad.

That said the new keyboard is tiny and is probably the most anti-ergo thing ever created. Can't imagine it's good for people with wrist or joint issues. But, it takes courage to leave those people behind and move forward.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Bind Caps Lock to Esc?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

mik posted:

But does It have a headphone jack?

Serious question at this point.

What headphones do you think most people plug into their Macbook? The ones that come with their iPhone, right?

I suppose if they're pushing people into wireless headphones then it doesn't really matter if the ones in the box don't plug in, but it's a little wonky.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

Good VIM users don't use the ESC key.
inoremap jj <esc>

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I use escape all the time to exit isolation mode in Illustrator. :(

Still hopeful that it won't be so bad. I also use an external keyboard quite a bit when I'm at home.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
i honestly can't think of a situation where i actually need to press the esc key :shrug:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

What headphones do you think most people plug into their Macbook? The ones that come with their iPhone, right?

I suppose if they're pushing people into wireless headphones then it doesn't really matter if the ones in the box don't plug in, but it's a little wonky.

Every Mac I've ever put a pair of headphones or a line out in has has horrendous noise issues, so they can get rid of the drat thing which will only lead to better audio quality.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xgalaxy posted:

Good VIM users don't use the ESC key.
inoremap jj <esc>

I've been using vi/vim for 17 years. I have this in my .vimrc, but I cannot re-train my brain to double tap a key just to exit insert mode. Ditching the escape key on a "pro" model laptop because courage or whatever is dumb and bad.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

echobucket posted:

Forcing people out of their button instincts might also help boost Siri usage on Apple's desktop and laptop computers.

Maybe they should make Siri actually useful on macOS.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Twerk from Home posted:

What makes something Pro to you? Is it mass? Computing power, which is almost certainly going to improve? Battery life, also likely to get better?

Computing power on these ultralight / thin / fanless laptops is well down compared to their more power hungry bigger brothers. You can't beat physics.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

robodex posted:

i honestly can't think of a situation where i actually need to press the esc key :shrug:

A lot of OS X's nagging prompts can be dismissed with esc. I use it as a modifier key in weechat.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly it is really sad that Apple wants to ship a headset with the iPhone that can't be used on Macs at all. It does a pretty good job of convincing me to not use their new stuff, I guess.

Depending on how the reviews look, this new Mac release might just be a chance for me to grab a refurb 2015 15" rMBP for a lower price. Or perhaps just use the laptop I already have for a while longer-- a 2013 13" rMBP is still so adequate for development.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

fleshweasel posted:

Honestly it is really sad that Apple wants to ship a headset with the iPhone that can't be used on Macs at all
Sure it can, just use the included Lightning-to-aux dongle!!!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Linguica posted:

Single digit MB/s read speeds? Are you sure you have a hard drive and not a record player?

It's this drive (2.5", 1TB, 5200RPM [sic])

10.17MB/s is about right for the highest read speed I actually see in iStat menus. :shrug:

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 26, 2016

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I updated to Sierra last night. I couldn't use ESC in vim for some reason so I just assumed it was something in vim that changed. Went to sleep. Then Today I tried Sublime Text and tried to search for some text. For some reason ESC wouldn't cancel the search bar. I searched this issue and figured out apparently you have to kill Siri to get your ESC key to work again.

I thought to myself, "what kinda lovely QA does Apple have where they don't even test if the ESC key still works properly?" I mean that has to be pure laziness that absolutely no developer, QA, Product person found this bug.

Then I saw todays announcement...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Steve jobs rolling in his grave

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They should remove the audio jack on the new iMac too.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ONCE AGAIN APPLE IS ABANDONING PORFESTIONALS

except, audio Pros almost always use an interface.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Jesus christ, so uh, who makes the nicest hardware for a hassle free linux install these days?

I feel like one of those hysterical idiotic liberal ninnies threatening to move to Canada every midterm election posting something that stupid, but jesus christ. My relationship with unix isn't loving going away, my relationship with apple sure as hell can.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 26, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

They should remove the audio jack on the new iMac too.

Press ESC to resurrect

well why not posted:

ONCE AGAIN APPLE IS ABANDONING PORFESTIONALS

except, audio Pros almost always use an interface.

Yeah there's not even an 'almost' about it, anyone dealing with actual audio isn't using the headphone socket. At the very most, using the optical out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can't wait for all the notoriously forward-thinking pro audio companies to upgrade to USB-C hardware! Maybe Avid will even update Pro Tools for El Capitan sometime in the next few years!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Realtalk, there's still a lot more audio people with USB/Firewire interfaces than those with Thunderbolt, let alone USB-C.

So, is Thunderbolt on the way out or what? I've only ever used mine for minidisplayport or with a firewire adapter.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thunderbolt is still used a lot in video editing for transferring files and editing on drives.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I'm really happy I bought my MBP earlier this year because replacing all the ports with USB-C on a pro computer is a stupid idea

like seriously, the people who use a MBP for pro poo poo are not going to "upgrade" their computers when they have pro poo poo that relies on TB/USB-A and SD Cards

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I know we're all supposed to use iCloud and poo poo, but it seems odd to put out a laptop that can't physically connect to any existing iOS devices without a $30 cable. 90% of the time I use my USB ports, it's to connect my iPad or iPhone.

I'm not saying it's impossible. Just that it'd be odd. I have to believe they'll include at least one USB port on this generation and switch to all USB-C in three years when they refresh again.

Depends on how courageous those engineers are.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
That's what I was saying before I had got a MacBook and just to get some bare minimum stuff I had to pay like 120 in cables and dongles. Kinda ruins the sleek Apple experience.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

That's what I was saying before I had got a MacBook and just to get some bare minimum stuff I had to pay like 120 in cables and dongles. Kinda ruins the sleek Apple experience.

I get that yea it's only one cable blah blah but still

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

well why not posted:

Realtalk, there's still a lot more audio people with USB/Firewire interfaces than those with Thunderbolt, let alone USB-C.

So, is Thunderbolt on the way out or what? I've only ever used mine for minidisplayport or with a firewire adapter.

Thunderbolt the protocol isn't going away, the connector however will change to USB Type-C, it'll basically be Thunderbolt over USB Type-C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Pryor on Fire posted:

My relationship with unix isn't loving going away, my relationship with apple sure as hell can.

Yeah, everything I need is readily available, if less convenient, on whatever *nix. But then I remember nothing comes close to mac battery life so I stick around and pray