Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
How is Age of Sigmar doing in sales? I have the opportunity to pick up some cheap Stormcast Eternals and Tree guys but I don't want to get stuck with a dead investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
:siren: DO NOT GIVE GW MONEY :siren:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

goodness posted:

How is Age of Sigmar doing in sales? I have the opportunity to pick up some cheap Stormcast Eternals and Tree guys but I don't want to get stuck with a dead investment.

It tanked in early sales and I don't believe it ever really recovered, but there's nothing stopping you using the mins in a good game like Kings of War, where Elves and Nature have a treeman entry (forest shamblers) and the stormcast can be any number of different large infantry, though Basilean Elohi for the flying ones are popular, and you could really make a whole Ogre army out of them if you had the money.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

BlackIronHeart posted:

:siren: DO NOT GIVE GW MONEY :siren:

It's a person selling their collection, I'm just going to put it on ebay unless there was some glaring reason to avoid the models

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Grabbing GW models off ebay to play KoW is pretty much the thing to do if you like GW's physical products

Also it's very unsurprising that Age of Sigmar models are going for cheap, which should tell you everything you need to know

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
I need to find some cheap lizard men. Those models are incredible

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

goodness posted:

I need to find some cheap lizard men. Those models are incredible

Harder to do now, since Uncharted Empires came out - people learned that they can use the GW minis to play a good army in Kings of War, so the fire sales stopped, and ebay demand picked up.

The Mantic Salamander minis are pretty good though.

goodness posted:

It's a person selling their collection, I'm just going to put it on ebay unless there was some glaring reason to avoid the models

Using the stormcast as Ogres, it's 2-3 to a regiment, 4-6 to a horde

Judicators with bows - Shooters
Judicators with crossbows - Boomers
Liberators - Siege Breakers
Protectors - Hunters
Retributors - Warriors
Decimators - Berserker Braves
Prosecutors - Chariots
Celestant Prime - Giant
Lord-Celestant on Dracoth - Captain/Warlord on chariot
Knight Venator - Captain w/ shooter bow
Knight Veillor - Standard Bearer
Lord Castellant - Warlock

And all the other heroes can be captains, warlords, siege master, boomer sergeant, and you're only missing a mammoth and goblins.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 26, 2016

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
AoS is supposedly doing better in sales than WHFB, but that sort of makes sense since a lot of WHFB players have had armies for years and years without being forced to buy entirely new ranges. You're not forced to buy new models but the power creep between the legacy warscrolls and the new one is a pretty major encouragement to do so.

It's got a little bit of a following where I am now but a lot of that is people burned out on Wangs and Warmahordes looking to play something silly.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

NTRabbit posted:

Harder to do now, since Uncharted Empires came out - people learned that they can use the GW minis to play a good army in Kings of War, so the fire sales stopped, and ebay demand picked up.

The Mantic Salamander minis are pretty good though.

Using the stormcast as Ogres, it's 2-3 to a regiment, 4-6 to a horde

Judicators with bows - Shooters
Judicators with crossbows - Boomers
Liberators - Siege Breakers
Protectors - Hunters
Retributors - Warriors
Decimators - Berserker Braves
Prosecutors - Chariots
Celestant Prime - Giant
Lord-Celestant on Dracoth - Captain/Warlord on chariot
Knight Venator - Captain w/ shooter bow
Knight Veillor - Standard Bearer
Lord Castellant - Warlock

And all the other heroes can be captains, warlords, siege master, boomer sergeant, and you're only missing a mammoth and goblins.

Don't tempt me into keeping these and playing a new system.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
GW is truly impressive!
Is there nothing they cannot make shittier?
Their efforts in loving up everything they touch are truly amazing.
They are world leaders in screwing up as much as possible!
Simply the best! At being the worst!
Better (worse) than all the rest.

EDIT for content:
Thanks to my starting to sell off my GW crap, I've now gotten myself my first Ariadna sectorial pretty much complete.
Next up with whatever money I can make off my left over GW fantasy, 40k, and lotr stuff, I'll get a USARF set, possibly the army box.

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 26, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

goodness posted:

Don't tempt me into keeping these and playing a new system.

All you need is the right sized movement trays, http://kow2.easyarmy.com/ and the free core rules, or the £12.49 rulebook, and you're good to go :v:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 26, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
AoS flopped here. We had one person asking if anyone wanted a game of it a couple of weeks back to no response.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
The LGS I used to frequent (and which I haven't been to in almost a year) apparently has a couple people playing it. The main proponents of it is one guy who will play literally anything you put in front of him, and another who defends AoS to death because "it got my father to play miniatures games with me" and takes personal offense if you bad-mouth the game.

Everyone else has pretty much switched to X-Wing, Warmahordes, or Malifaux, from what I've heard. There's like maybe half a dozen dudes who play 40k but most of the regulars don't even bother with that any more.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
basically we're saying only crazy people play and enjoy AoS

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Slimnoid posted:

another who defends AoS to death because "it got my father to play miniatures games with me" and takes personal offense if you bad-mouth the game.

a good dad irl trolling his son like that

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Moola posted:

play and enjoy AoS

Moola, how could you

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I am assembling my Kill Team box as a change of pace after finishing a Mountain King and I'm irritated at how much I'm enjoying putting these dudes together

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
same, sometimes I still assemble and convert some of my left over jewel like objects of wonder; and it's annoying remembering the game they go with is garbage doodoo

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Slimnoid posted:

The LGS I used to frequent (and which I haven't been to in almost a year) apparently has a couple people playing it. The main proponents of it is one guy who will play literally anything you put in front of him, and another who defends AoS to death because "it got my father to play miniatures games with me" and takes personal offense if you bad-mouth the game.

Everyone else has pretty much switched to X-Wing, Warmahordes, or Malifaux, from what I've heard. There's like maybe half a dozen dudes who play 40k but most of the regulars don't even bother with that any more.

My local club has a few people playing AoS, most of the Fantasy players have gone to Kings of War - and that's even brought in new players. 40K is losing people to 30K, and one of the club founders (a massive 40K fan) was annoyed a few weeks back when he realised there were more games of Infinity happening than any other game.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Moola posted:

same, sometimes I still assemble and convert some of my left over jewel like objects of wonder; and it's annoying remembering the game they go with is garbage doodoo

Yeah now I'm looking at the other stuff in the line and its like boy howdy I would in fact like some chaos Marines but not the part where I have to give GW money

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

glitchkrieg posted:

My local club has a few people playing AoS, most of the Fantasy players have gone to Kings of War - and that's even brought in new players. 40K is losing people to 30K, and one of the club founders (a massive 40K fan) was annoyed a few weeks back when he realised there were more games of Infinity happening than any other game.

Is he going to do anything amusing about it?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
No D20 in the gaming space for health and safety reasons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I am assembling my Kill Team box as a change of pace after finishing a Mountain King and I'm irritated at how much I'm enjoying putting these dudes together

I've always enjoyed cutting sprues and gluing models and painting them more than actually playing the game :v: But for whatever reason I need to know that I could play a game with them, it gives them more significance. Just painting miniatures would kinda bore me, but knowing that this guy has a plasma and this guy has a stub gun makes it all more fun to paint? Not that I never play, I do. But not as much.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah now I'm looking at the other stuff in the line and its like boy howdy I would in fact like some chaos Marines but not the part where I have to give GW money

CSMs look so cool so of course they're gimped in the rules, thanks GW.

But you can pick up a single tactical squad of chaos marines for pretty cheap if you just wanna model/paint some rad heavy metal dudes.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Bistromatic posted:

Is he going to do anything amusing about it?

Possibly if I goad him enough :v

Zaphod42 posted:

CSMs look so cool so of course they're gimped in the rules, thanks GW.

But you can pick up a single tactical squad of chaos marines for pretty cheap if you just wanna model/paint some rad heavy metal dudes.

In some ways I'm glad they are, as that (and the likely Squatting of Slaanesh) means I'm not likely to be tempted back into 40K again, using the remains of my old 2E Chaos army and some stuff I picked up off eBay a few years ago (and did nothing with).

It does mean I've got loads of stuff lying about for kitbashing. I still want to put together a true-scale Chaos Lord, which I think could be a fun modelling/painting project. Currently trying to de-Khorne the White Dwarf free model for Frostgrave/general use, but thanks to scale creep it's tough to find appropriate weapons and bits that will fit the size.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Shots fired - http://newsthump.com/2016/10/26/man-signals-his-sexual-availability-with-games-workshop-carrier-bag/

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
lol

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My friend said the GW store near me no longer requires GW-only paints, so I'm thinking of going over there to paint some of my forgeworld tau from several years ago and see what's up. I don't know why, but I always liked painting as a social experience and most LGSs don't really have a dedicated painting night.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
one of the worst experiences of my life was at an after hours GW store paint group

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh sure there was the really smelly dude but he was there just to play and not paint. He was a walking strawman complete with running comedy routines into the ground and would always recite the killer bunny holy hand grenade lines from monty python. But there was also my friend who I wish I stayed in contact who was a bodybuilder and gave me pro tips and would weeb out. (We both played Tau, coincidentally.)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
when I went every guy was that guy

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I wish I was surrounded by bodybuilder weebs. :allears:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
same but no, they were all the OTHER BAD GUY

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

To the guy asking about sci-fi tanks, Antenocitis Workshop has some; not 100% on them myself, and the latter three even less so, but I'll post them in case it'll do any good.

http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/antenocitis/aw-got/28mm-got/
https://puppetswar.eu/category.php?id_category=195&p=3
http://www.warchimera.com/pl/c/Sci-Fi/20
https://www.miniaturescenery.com/ProductsPage.asp

(The last one you'll have to filter for Vehicles.)

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm looking for a 28mm sci-fi "civilian" miniatures, as well as some wrecked cars or futuristic cars. Anybody know some websites with some good models? Preferrably shipping to US.

Oh wow, they have stalker models too!

http://www.spectreminiatures.com/collections/
Modern day rather than sci-fi, but has some civilians and a ton of armed irregulars in various kinds of non-uniformed dress.
http://www.offensiveminiatures.com/catalogue.asp?RID=7&CID=3
Bunch of more-or-less modern day rioting civilians, but seems like a second-rate outfit...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

fnordcircle posted:

Gotta give GW credit. They've added a Legendary Lord to Total Warhammer that will be free later in 2017 but if you want it now you can either buy a White Dwarf or go into a GW store and get the code for free and I'm sure the manager will be happy to show you the decades old fantasy world and ranked battle tabletop game on which the game you are playing is based. Great to see them embracing cross promotion and this will probably result in a shot in the arm of Warhammer Fantasy Battle slaker;wslerkjw;lkerj;

This is hilarious.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I think its actually a really cool and good idea, they should have been doing this for years with the dow games

too little too late though

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's actually a good idea if it wasn't getting people in interested in the license they blew up out of spite into stores to find that out.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
yeah 100% agreedo

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Moola posted:

I think its actually a really cool and good idea, they should have been doing this for years with the dow games

too little too late though

"Come on baby, come back to me. I've changed."
__________/

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
no, I am a strong independent skeleton who don't need no man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Moola posted:

same but no, they were all the OTHER BAD GUY

Is being interested in body builders some weird skeleton kink?

• Locked thread