Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

His Divine Shadow posted:

The problem is Germany.

It always boils down to this in the end.
Maybe we shoulda annexed Rhineland back in 1919, and left the rest for the Poles and the Austrians and whoever else wanted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah, let's have an Austrian running stuff in a big European state, what could go wrong :haw:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Today in France:

https://twitter.com/cntrentF24/status/791232578196045824

But don't worry, it's just "a tradition among communities who set fire to their homes before leaving", says some nameless public official.

Edit: Okay, that seems to be confirmed by witnesses according to journalists there. But to downplay this fire...

Also, policemen are still protesting in several cities and in front of the French lower house of parliament for what some are calling a "day of anger" (that's reassuring). It's the 10th day.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Witnesses interviewed by onsite Swedish reporters claimed it was the local 'store-runners' that are the ones that have been torching everything left and right.

http://www.dn.se/nyheter/varlden/brander-i-djungeln-stora-delar-forstort/

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Kassad posted:

Also, policemen are still protesting in several cities and in front of the French lower house of parliament for what some are calling a "day of anger" (that's reassuring). It's the 10th day.

Now where have I heard this wording before?

Ah yes (nws, tits)

This is getting more and more transparent.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

This also reminds me of things.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Cool a relatively new article making GBS threads on the euro.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/10/24/the-failure-of-the-euro

Same old same old really, but you know, gently caress the euro.

Good article. About this point:

quote:

It is a common-sense wish list, but it has one grievous flaw, which is that it is almost certain not to happen. Germany is just too set against these ideas. It is a matter of deep conviction there that the euro must never be a “transfer union.” The eurozone must never be about the rich paying for the poor, the North for the South.

Does the German public really support the euro but oppose a fiscal union? At this point it's clear to even dumb people like me that a stable monetary union requires at least some sort of internal transfers, I find it hard to believe the majority view of an entire developed nation hasn't accepted this basic point. Germany itself is a fiscal union, so Germans must understand why it's necessary.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 26, 2016

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The proud Teuton doesn't pick up the tab for some swarthy Greeks, sir

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Senor Dog posted:

I was just wondering if there was some common ground, and thinking maybe it actually is possible to leave it.

Trying to leave the euro would be a perfectly good way to crash your economy with a massive financial crisis and sink it into a legal, political, and economic quagmire that would make the worst scenario projected for Brexit seem like child's play (in part because there may not be a legal way to leave the euro without leaving the EU). Which is why even at the height of the Greek crisis last year there was almost no popular support for leaving the euro.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Nocturtle posted:

Does the German public really support the euro but oppose a fiscal union? At this point it's clear to even dumb people like me that a stable monetary union requires at least some sort of internal transfers, I find it hard to believe the majority view of an entire developed nation hasn't accepted this basic point. Germany itself is a fiscal union, so Germans must understand why it's necessary.

gently caress you, got mine.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Pluskut Tukker posted:

there may not be a legal way to leave the euro without leaving the EU

In other news, Russian warships bound to Syrya won't be able to refuel in Ceuta. Seems to me we'll have to rescue the whole lot of them refugees-style when they run out of gas somewhere near Malta...

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

No it wouldn't have worked either because Germany is the one loving it up for Finland. The problem isn't the poors. The problem is Germany.

Infact without the poors in the union, the eiro would probably be valued even higher and Finland would be even more anally raped than currently.

EDIT: Infact the poors would have been better to form a currency union with for Finland, they'd depress the value of the new currency compared to what it would otherwise be, making exporting stuff for us easier, and the inverse would be true for the poor countries. In this scenario, we would be the Germany analogue, loving up and destroying the other members economies.

The problems Finland has is mostly related to the foolish sanctions on Russia.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

MiddleOne posted:

Witnesses interviewed by onsite Swedish reporters claimed it was the local 'store-runners' that are the ones that have been torching everything left and right.

http://www.dn.se/nyheter/varlden/brander-i-djungeln-stora-delar-forstort/

Fair enough, but I just saw a French journalist talk about some of the refugees having had to leave their papers and things in their places when they caught fire. So some official going "hey, it's what those people do" is pretty disgusting all the same.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

In other news, Russian warships bound to Syrya won't be able to refuel in Ceuta. Seems to me we'll have to rescue the whole lot of them refugees-style when they run out of gas somewhere near Malta...

"blue" "water" "capabilities"

Nocturtle posted:

Hell no we don't. Flying to Mallorca to get drunk on a beach without needing to apply for a visa or exchanging money is great, selling superior German products abroad is great, actually paying for things that aren't geographically located within Germany is literally the worst.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Riso posted:

The problems Finland has is mostly related to the foolish sanctions on Russia.

That is only one of the reasons, and in any case doesn't do anything to address his point, which is that Finland needs to devalue its currency and can't because it's stuck in the Euro with Germany.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Nocturtle posted:

This is never going to happen. Germany just renegotiated it's internal, national fiscal union and the rich states like Bavaria managed to massively reduce transfers to poorer states. The federal government is going to pick up the tap, but this is really a bad idea and not really sustainable long term. Lmao at the idea of Germans paying their fair share to the darkies, when they don't even want to pay it to Germans.
It's a lost cause.

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

Nocturtle posted:

The fiscal (and political) union should of course have come first, but fiscal union doesn't start with financial transfers, it starts with everybody being taxed the same and receiving the same kind of (social) benefits (adjusted for cost of living). As soon as that is accomplished I think few people would have an issue with financial transfers.

As it is currently, a german worker is understandably not keen on financing tax-rebates for shipping magnates or the overblown public sector in a few countries, when, at least until quite recently, the public infrastructure in (western) Germany itself is falling apart.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

This is never going to happen. Germany just renegotiated it's internal, national fiscal union and the rich states like Bavaria managed to massively reduce transfers to poorer states. The federal government is going to pick up the tap, but this is really a bad idea and not really sustainable long term. Lmao at the idea of Germans paying their fair share to the darkies, when they don't even want to pay it to Germans.
It's a lost cause.

To be fair, only two or three out of the 16 German states weren't receiving subsidies. That's simply unsustainable.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Nocturtle posted:

Germany originally didn't want the Euro at this early point. The German stance was that first Europe had to converge - institutionally, politically, economically - then a common currency would crown the project. Mainly due to French pressure (during the process of German reunification) the German government under Kohl agreed to follow the French view, namely that the common currency would be a catalyst to accelerate the convergence.

Point in case, in the US the fiscal transfers mainly take place through federal taxes. We don't have an EU tax. Also, we don't have a representation (the EU parliament is lacking in several aspects).

We do have a de facto redistribution as the poorer states get more from the EU than they pay contributions. E.g., Hungary receives EU payments in excess of its contributions that amount to more than 5% of its annual GDP. Hungary is not member of the Euro Zone, Greece cashes in 2.9% of its GDP in European fiscal transfers (excluding the hundreds of billions of bail out credits and cuts etc.). This makes Greece roughly comparable to Idaho or Arizona who are some of the poorer US states (Arizona: #39, Idaho #46). This is less than what Mississippi receives, but even Mississippi is richer than Greece, Portugal and about as prosperous as the "big Euro player" Italy.

The budgets of the US states seem very small compared to European nations, i.e. they have much less autonomy. So to receive more money Greece would have to accept what its left-right populist government is criticizing most: Transferring fiscal autonomy to a higher, European level.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Just want to leave this here:

gently caress you Schauble, you are a piece of poo poo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Riso posted:

To be fair, only two or three out of the 16 German states weren't receiving subsidies. That's simply unsustainable.
Not by definition. Obviously it'd necessitate that those states subsidizing the rest on average paying a factor of 4-7 times as much as the others got in subsidies, on average, but that needn't be a huge problem as long as the overall size of the subsidies are limited. Or the states which are subsidizing the rest are larger on average, meaning the size difference between subsidizers vs. subsidized would be exaggerated by looking at things on the state level.

Just nitpicking here, I don't know the exact makeup of the German states in that regard.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

orange sky posted:

Just want to leave this here:

gently caress you Schauble, you are a piece of poo poo.

What's he done this time, gone full Rothbard and started demanding Greeks sell their children?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pesmerga posted:

What's he done this time, gone full Rothbard and started demanding Greeks sell their children?

He continues to exist?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

She is prefect of the Pas-de-calais department and her name is Fabienne Buccio (i remember her because she was the Eure prefect that managed the 25000 person savage Teknival there(read it as: she didn't use force to break it after one guy died)). Of course the hard right and the far right are going insane over the 'barbarity' of people setting on fire buildings that were going to be destroyed anyway. AFP journalists present on the site confirmed it was the last afghan migrants exiting the site that started the fire. Meanwhile some commentators are saying it was an act of anger for being forced out of the camp but no one has yet realized the people who did it are still there in France and that they could literally just try to ask them why they did it.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Pesmerga posted:

https://eco.pt/2016/10/26/wolfgang-schaeuble-portugal-estava-a-ser-bem-sucedido-ate-entrar-um-novo-governo/

Why the gently caress doesn't he shut up for once? At what point is this poo poo considered sabotage?

Also, I fully expect some bad news from deutsche bank tomorrow, it happened last time he spoke about Portugal.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I remeber when Francois hollande was SAs favorite communist. Like all communist scum, destined to the dustbin of history. Hollandr paved the way for fascism, Whether it happen now or in 4 years. France is in for a dark time.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I for one welcome the return of madam de guillotine and hope a great many politicians, bankers, journaille and foolish intellectuals get to know her intimately.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Riso posted:

I for one welcome the return of madam de guillotine and hope a great many politicians, bankers, journaille and foolish intellectuals get to know her intimately.

Take out the intellectuals and add a few industrialists and you got yourself a deal. We shall harvest our fields twice next year!

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Toplowtech posted:

She is prefect of the Pas-de-calais department and her name is Fabienne Buccio (i remember her because she was the Eure prefect that managed the 25000 person savage Teknival there(read it as: she didn't use force to break it after one guy died)). Of course the hard right and the far right are going insane over the 'barbarity' of people setting on fire buildings that were going to be destroyed anyway. AFP journalists present on the site confirmed it was the last afghan migrants exiting the site that started the fire. Meanwhile some commentators are saying it was an act of anger for being forced out of the camp but no one has yet realized the people who did it are still there in France and that they could literally just try to ask them why they did it.

Yeah. Because arson is the same as controlled razing and never endangered other people. How dare the French government insist on ruling within its own borders. Everybody has the right to squat everyhwere for months and create lawless areas. The rule of law is nothing but a a regressive nationalist concept.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Einbauschrank posted:

We do have a de facto redistribution as the poorer states get more from the EU than they pay contributions. E.g., Hungary receives EU payments in excess of its contributions that amount to more than 5% of its annual GDP. Hungary is not member of the Euro Zone, Greece cashes in 2.9% of its GDP in European fiscal transfers (excluding the hundreds of billions of bail out credits and cuts etc.). This makes Greece roughly comparable to Idaho or Arizona who are some of the poorer US states (Arizona: #39, Idaho #46). This is less than what Mississippi receives, but even Mississippi is richer than Greece, Portugal and about as prosperous as the "big Euro player" Italy.

I agree with some of your points, but you're underestimating the size of transfer payments in other monetary unions. In Canada and the US several provinces + states regularly receive >10% of their GDP in net federal transfers and spending. In the UK Scotland received net spending from the UK equivalent to ~15% of it's GDP in 2009. Transfer payments are expensive but it's just the cost of doing business for a currency union.

I totally get the German leadership at the time didn't really want a currency union, they must be feeling pretty smug these days.

blowfish posted:

Hell no we don't. Flying to Mallorca to get drunk on a beach without needing to apply for a visa or exchanging money is great, selling superior German products abroad is great, actually paying for things that aren't geographically located within Germany is literally the worst.

It's probably pretty great to be the biggest crab in the bucket, at least for a while.

On a side note:

The Eurozone unemployment rate is getting progressively worse compared to the EU-28 over time. More evidence that the Eurozone is fundamentally flawed and destined to grind down its less productive members? Counterpoint: maybe Spain and Greece are just dumpster fires.

edit: Probably the most impressive feature of that graph is the stability of Japanese unemployment. The rest of the west looks manic by comparison.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 27, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nocturtle posted:

edit: Probably the most impressive feature of that graph is the stability of Japanese unemployment. The rest of the west looks manic by comparison.
The Japanese have solved unemployment by simply not having any more people join the labor market.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Japanese have solved unemployment by simply not having any more people join the labor market.

Much the same with the US actually.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

LeoMarr posted:

I remeber when Francois hollande was SAs favorite communist. Like all communist scum, destined to the dustbin of history. Hollandr paved the way for fascism, Whether it happen now or in 4 years. France is in for a dark time.

With cars burning every night, I'm surprised it took this long.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Einbauschrank posted:

Yeah. Because arson is the same as controlled razing and never endangered other people. How dare the French government insist on ruling within its own borders. Everybody has the right to squat everyhwere for months and create lawless areas. The rule of law is nothing but a a regressive nationalist concept.
Oh i do agree but i am quite amused by the mediatic race to bitch on twitter on the right about the fires happening on the last day when that kind of poo poo happened during/after the previous evacuations of other groups (yes that kind of fire happened several time by night during the week). Arson and law only matters when the public watch them then the politicians are mildly interested. When no one was watching, it was "let them burn themselves to death, less migrants". Now suddenly, when there is a platform, some people suddenly care. The power of a camera, i guess.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 27, 2016

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Einbauschrank posted:

How dare the French government insist on ruling within its own borders. Everybody has the right to squat everyhwere for months and create lawless areas. The rule of law is nothing but a a regressive nationalist concept.

That'd be more credible if the government hadn't been sitting on its rear end watching the camp grow for years, moving only when there's a presidential election 6 months away. But sure, it's a principled defense of the rule of law.

In other news, journalists and activists at the camp were reporting there are still many people there last night, including 200-300 minors. Some journalists report that the minors were told to go to the triage area to take busses to a shelter. There they were told to go directly to the shelter instead. Bureaucracy.txt

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

In other news, journalists and activists at the camp were reporting there are still many people there last night, including 200-300 minors. Some journalists report that the minors were told to go to the triage area to take busses to a shelter. There they were told to go directly to the shelter instead. Bureaucracy.txt
Really because i have read the kids are supposed to stay at their special kid building because they have a good prospect to go to England and they need them grouped there for any transfer to happen. Is it bureaucracy or some journos gettting confused and speculating and confusing everyone?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
There doesn't seem to be any confusion about where they have to go, just how (through that registration/triage center or going directly to the camp). It could be the journalists themselves being confused, I'll give you that, but it doesn't seem far-fetched that the minors did receive contradictory directions (it's a big operation, end of the day, language barrier, etc.).

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
https://twitter.com/MMQWalker/status/791542502172061696

Yep, even after stacking the constitutional court and using leaked private emails to discredit a judge on it SYRIZAs try to turn the Greek media landscape into their personal propaganda tool (more than it already is) was stopped by the courts.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

There doesn't seem to be any confusion about where they have to go, just how (through that registration/triage center or going directly to the camp). It could be the journalists themselves being confused, I'll give you that, but it doesn't seem far-fetched that the minors did receive contradictory directions (it's a big operation, end of the day, language barrier, etc.).
It's most likely a mix of both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
CETA rises

https://twitter.com/YanniKouts/status/791587551006064640