Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I live in Japan, speak Japanese and wish I'd learned French.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I speak English and French natively, and Spanish with a decent degree of fluency. I've learned Latin, Ancient Greek and German in university and college. I've taken classes on Sanskrit, Proto-Indo-European and comparative romance linguistics. When I say "gently caress Chinese for being purposely obtuse and hard to learn", I say so because I am comparing it to literal dead languages that are easier to learn than a living, breathing clusterfuck spoken by 1.6 billion people.

Am I a racist?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Ceciltron posted:

I speak English and French natively, and Spanish with a decent degree of fluency. I've learned Latin, Ancient Greek and German in university and college. I've taken classes on Sanskrit, Proto-Indo-European and comparative romance linguistics. When I say "gently caress Chinese for being purposely obtuse and hard to learn", I say so because I am comparing it to literal dead languages that are easier to learn than a living, breathing clusterfuck spoken by 1.6 billion people.

Am I a racist?

Probably. I'm not great at it or anything but I've never gotten what the big deal was.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

His Divine Shadow posted:

Can anyone try and offer a serious answer to this ludicrous question (why the hell are they like this?) aside from heavy metal poisoning?

Subconsciously they believe that nobody who is not Han Chinese can learn Mandarin, so they behave like that is true, despite being show the opposite a few moments later. In their heads they just assume she only knows those exact 147 words that got her through that 58 second conversation, and knows absolutely no more Mandarin than that. (Example).

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Blistex posted:

Subconsciously they believe that nobody who is not Han Chinese can learn Mandarin, so they behave like that is true, despite being show the opposite a few moments later. In their heads they just assume she only knows those exact 147 words that got her through that 58 second conversation, and knows absolutely no more Mandarin than that. (Example).

Since that's how they learn English that makes sense though.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
https://thenanfang.com/expired-food-taken-garbage-dump-resold-wuhan-residents/

The breadbasket of the east

Relin fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 26, 2016

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

mikerock posted:

Didn't the only fluent non-chinese mandarin speaker in the thread say don't learn mandarin no matter what because no native chinese mandarin speaker will believe you can speak it due to an intense ingrained racial bias against foreigners being able to do anything chinese?

Take a poo poo on the sidewalk to prove yourself worthy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

His Divine Shadow posted:

Can anyone try and offer a serious answer to this ludicrous question (why the hell are they like this?) aside from heavy metal poisoning?

A fair number of people in Asia believe languages are race-linked and it is literally impossible for anyone not of their race to learn them.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Fojar38 posted:

by 2050 china will have a GDP thrice the size of the US and EU combined; mandarin will be the new global lingua franca and all culture, science, and diplomacy will be conducted in it; by learning it now, I'll be way ahead of the curve!

This only replace China with Russia

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

serious norman posted:

Does anyone think this, since the space race?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

serious norman posted:

Russia next? I thought we were still going through the BRICS countries one by one as they each poo poo the bed.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
I have the opposite problem, my Chinese is terrible yet everyone seems to believe I'm fluent so will spit out a novel at me at 5000 words per minute whilst I just nod and look confused. Even people who know me and can speak English will generally only speak to me in Chinese.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

I have the opposite problem, my Chinese is terrible yet everyone seems to believe I'm fluent so will spit out a novel at me at 5000 words per minute whilst I just nod and look confused. Even people who know me and can speak English will generally only speak to me in Chinese.

Are you ethnically East Asian? That could account for it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah it's nice that in Sichuan people will speak to you in Chinese without being weird about it like in Korea, and are mostly very tolerant of your lovely Chinese back to them. Difficult when they greatly overestimate my Chinese abilities but I'll take that over the blank stare and refusal to engage that was so common in Korea.

My favorite restaurant has kittens again and you can ask the very nice man who runs the place about the kittens when paying, and he will reach under the counter and deposit a kitten in your hands for petting while change is made. It is the best.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah it's nice that in Sichuan people will speak to you in Chinese without being weird about it like in Korea, and are mostly very tolerant of your lovely Chinese back to them. Difficult when they greatly overestimate my Chinese abilities but I'll take that over the blank stare and refusal to engage that was so common in Korea.

My favorite restaurant has kittens again and you can ask the very nice man who runs the place about the kittens when paying, and he will reach under the counter and deposit a kitten in your hands for petting while change is made. It is the best.

Don't play with your food.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Ceciltron posted:

Am I a racist?

Still worse than German? Danke.

And yes.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

JaucheCharly posted:

Still worse than German? Danke.

And yes.

To a certain extent Chinese writing actually is intentionally obtuse and hard to learn. That's why they invented simplified Chinese.

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

E_P posted:

I still dont understand why people think you will be drowning in pussy if you move to Asia. My experience from seeing people come and go in Korea is if you weren't getting any in your home country you sure as poo poo weren't gonna get laid here.

That would be because of all the GIs in Korea that act like the ugly American. They've given us a bad reputation. During my tour there, I got the best treatment when I went far away from where most soldiers go (Itaewon, TDC). I had no problems getting laid, had a girlfriend for a few months until I PCS'd. Honestly, I enjoyed Korea--best year of my career.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

To a certain extent Chinese writing actually is intentionally obtuse and hard to learn. That's why they invented simplified Chinese.

Nah traditional is where it's at.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

Nah traditional is where it's at.

It's easier to type using bopomofo at least.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

hahaha

imagine if this was a guy complaining about ugly bitches getting dates while he's not getting any

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
The problem is still that the writing system was by design made to be inaccessible to as much of the population as possible. It reminds me of the way scribes in the ancient near east guarded their writing systems with great jealousy until alphabets/syllabaries became more common.

Except the Chinese writing system, even as simplified, has no logical construction. There's no seeming relation between anything, and you can't predict what a thing is based on what other things are!

cnut
May 3, 2016

Ceciltron posted:

The problem is still that the writing system was by design made to be inaccessible to as much of the population as possible. It reminds me of the way scribes in the ancient near east guarded their writing systems with great jealousy until alphabets/syllabaries became more common.

Except the Chinese writing system, even as simplified, has no logical construction. There's no seeming relation between anything, and you can't predict what a thing is based on what other things are!

一二三

:smug:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Sapper posted:

That would be because of all the GIs in Korea that act like the ugly American. They've given us a bad reputation. During my tour there, I got the best treatment when I went far away from where most soldiers go (Itaewon, TDC). I had no problems getting laid, had a girlfriend for a few months until I PCS'd. Honestly, I enjoyed Korea--best year of my career.

Getting off the beaten path is a pro tip for getting decent treatment in Korea. Then again it can also blow up in your face. My wife and I (then girlfriend) decided to go to the end of the line, as far north as you can go by subway, and then took a 30 minute cab ride to a spa with hot springs and a hotel nearby. We arrived at night (after work) and intended to stay in the hotel over night then go to the spa in the morning and make a day out of it. When I went into the hotel the guy behind the desk told me that they were full, despite the "vacancy tags" still being on 3/4 of the room markers. I tried to explain that I was not a GI, that I had no intention of trashing the room, and that I wanted to go to the spa the next day. The guy refused, and after a few minutes of pleading with him the cabbie came in and tried to argue with him on our behalf. The manager didn't budge and on the ride back the cabbie explained that the guy didn't believe that I was not a US soldier, despite me having non-regulation hair, and said that I would make trouble with all of my friends (despite there being no other western guys with me).

The GI bias runs pretty deep in Korea, but then again I've seen cases where they do act just as bad as their reputation would lead you to believe (which is not half as bad/unruly/destructive as the average group of Korean salarymen on a bender). On the other hand I've been mistaken for a GI on a few occasions and gotten royal treatment from old guys who used to be in joint ROK/US units and would tell me stories of the cool stuff they used to do, and the friend they made.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

cnut posted:

一二三

:smug:

Woah, checkmated.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Ceciltron posted:

You can kinda argue that radicals help somewhat but then you're just replacing "memorize all these random symbols" with "memorize these smaller, random symbols, then try to recognize from context and guess what a collection of them mean together" but mostly these posts have been a surprising amount of sense from you.

tho lol at the idea that the Quebecois speak native french

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

this stupid show ran at the height of "CHINA IS THE NEXT SUPER POWER" craze in 2008. i dont think any children learned any mandarin.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Deceitful Penguin posted:

tho lol at the idea that the Quebecois speak native french

A friend of mine went to paris with his quebecois wife. Said wife tried to speak quebec french with the locals who without fail responded in english.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ Please tell me she got really butthurt that her "pure French" (what every French teacher told us in school) was not recognized as being intelligible.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

this stupid show ran at the height of "CHINA IS THE NEXT SUPER POWER" craze in 2008. i dont think any children learned any mandarin.

To be honest, Dora the Explorer (which this copied) never taught anyone to speak Spanish. Hard to do when they cover one new word/phrase an episode then you never hear it again.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
http://en.people.cn/n3/2016/1025/c90000-9132459.html

quote:

Several officials in Xi’an, Shaanxi province have been arrested for falsifying air pollution statistics, as the deteriorating air quality might have jeopardized their careers, local media reported on Oct. 25.

One of the officials, surnamed Li, allegedly withheld the key to a local air quality monitoring station, and also copied the code of the station’s computer system. Li, along with other employees, repeatedly sneaked into the monitoring station without authorization, shielding the sensors with cotton to alter their air quality readings, reported Chinese Business View, a Xi’an-based daily newspaper.

“The air samplers should be exposed to the air to collect accurate data. Using cotton to cover them actually filters the pollutants, leading to fake data,” an anonymous insider told Chinese Business View.

The forged statistics soon came to the attention of the China National Environmental Monitoring Center, which carried out a thorough investigation and found the cause of the anomaly. Li, along with several other officials, is now in custody.

“If local air quality drops, the officials who were previously in charge are likely to be punished accordingly. Those officials falsified statistics in order to avoid being disciplined,” another anonymous source told Chinese Business View.

Due to the severe air pollution in China, air quality stations have been established all across the nation to detect pollutants. Placed mostly in large cities, the stations monitor ozone, nitrogen oxides, volatile organic compounds and meteorological parameters. The data is used by the country’s environmental protection authorities to understand the causes of air pollution and monitor improvement.

Who loses face here?

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Sapper posted:

Were you getting laid before you came to Korea though? I am more getting at the assumption that some 120lb mouth breather with a black tshirt that says No I Wont Fix Your Computer lands in Incheon and is all of a sudden besieged by pussy that FBR and THE PWNER are espousing.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I took german over mandarin in highschool :grin:

but the reality is for most Americans they should absolutely never sit down and try to learn chinese, and they SHOULD learn spanish. A huge chunk of our population is esol at best and there are situations in Texas for example where you can be seriously hindered by not understanding spanish.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

there's nothing wrong with learning mandarin regardless of whether or not china's going to be the next superpower

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Please tell me that the entire premise of the show was based on trying to eat the rhinoceros and tiger for their boner powers.

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

E_P posted:

Were you getting laid before you came to Korea though? I am more getting at the assumption that some 120lb mouth breather with a black tshirt that says No I Wont Fix Your Computer lands in Incheon and is all of a sudden besieged by pussy that FBR and THE PWNER are espousing.

Yeah. Matter of fact, on the day I flew out, I got done screwing my fiance* and raced from her place back to my parents' place so they could give me a ride to the airport.

*who had the decency to wait until my plane got wheels up before racing out, herself, to screw another guy, as I found out a few months later courtesy of her little sister. Thank god--that turned my last 9 months into one continuous party, then I got back to the States and met a much hotter, smarter, and wealthier girl, who has been my wife for the past 14 years. Meanwhile, my ex-fiance got fat, divorced twice, and is still desperately trying to be an actress/model despite the fact that she's devolved into looking like your average PA trailer trash (she'd been a Ms. Teen USA runner-up, and she's become the female equivalent of the balding, fat loser who still wears his varsity quarterback jacket.)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Blistex posted:

/\ Please tell me she got really butthurt that her "pure French" (what every French teacher told us in school) was not recognized as being intelligible.

She got mad as only a french woman can :v: .

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Blistex posted:

The GI bias runs pretty deep in Korea, but then again I've seen cases where they do act just as bad as their reputation would lead you to believe (which is not half as bad/unruly/destructive as the average group of Korean salarymen on a bender). On the other hand I've been mistaken for a GI on a few occasions and gotten royal treatment from old guys who used to be in joint ROK/US units and would tell me stories of the cool stuff they used to do, and the friend they made.

isn't the crime rate among GIs and foreigners in general in all these countries something stupid like just 5% of the local rate? I remember that coming up for Okinawa at least and I expect it's similar elsewhere.

I don't think there's any great mystery to it though, foreigners cause outrage in any society, just look at Europe these past couple of years for an obvious example. In a homogeneous society that's amplified. The same goes for them not comprehending you speaking their language, in my experience you can go to rural England and get the same dumb looks for looking like a foreigner that I got for not being Korean.

Haier posted:

Hong Kong on duct tape. HONG KONG STICK TO CHINA FOREVER!

this actually owns

Dirtbag Diva
May 27, 2005
I can't tell if this article is for-real or someone mixing up Game of Thrones episodes while writing think pieces:

quote:

In many cases, bridesmaids are unwillingly involved in sexual stunts designed for the newlyweds. In extreme cases, some are stripped of their clothes and molested, or even attacked.

It does mention the concept of "Face" though, so I guess legitimate?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

I'll have you know that all Canadi(a/e)ns are completely bilingual by the time they leave high school in both French and English. Salad Bowl, not a melting pot :smug:

E_P posted:

I don't think it so much as makes you a chick magnet so much as it adding 1 to 2 points to your score, and giving alot of people an "in" to start a conversation. As much as I imagine SA as being a place replete with physically fit Olympians, the reality is that most relationships start with just two lonely people being in the right place at the right time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

Blistex posted:

GI bias stories

One of my first enlightening experiences on my first visit to Korea was getting pulled out of line by the muscular Korean bouncers at every bar/club in Itaewon (Who all turned out to be Korean Americans from the same part of North Jersey as me, lol), being patted down for weapons and thinking "Oh, so this is what it's like to be black!"

• Locked thread