Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
theres only really a big 2 atm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Jose posted:

theres only really a big 2 atm

So there's an open spot, and Jump will go into a battle tournament arc to decide who becomes the new Big 3.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Pewdiepie posted:

Now that Naruto and Bleach are over, what would you say the new big 3 are?

Time to pull out this out again, updated for changes:

Kuroyama posted:

I think "Big Three" is a western creation. I prefer thinking in terms like "Top Draws" or "Main Eventers" myself [1], which currently looks like One Piece, MHA, Haikyuu, Shokugeki no Soma, Black Clover, and Promised Neverland. And you got a decent mid-card with titles like Gintama, World Trigger, Toriko, PSI Kusuo Saiki, Straighten Up, Samon the Summoner, and Yuragi-sou no Yuuna. I think that leaves just the new titles that haven't yet gotten over or won't last past 2 months. [2]

[1]: All Jump popularity discussions should use wrestling terms.

[2]: Judgement based on about 2 minutes looking up Jump ToC's.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What would the "main event" series have been in the 1990s? Dragon Ball Z, obviously; maybe YuYu Hakusho? What else? (I suppose Sailor Moon would have been big but it's not a shonen series.)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

What would the "main event" series have been in the 1990s? Dragon Ball Z, obviously; maybe YuYu Hakusho? What else? (I suppose Sailor Moon would have been big but it's not a shonen series.)

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. And Hunter x Hunter started in 1998.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I feel like One Piece is the Big One tbh

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
MHA is definitely up there alongside One Piece, no question.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

MHA is definitely up there alongside One Piece, no question.

I don't know about in terms of magazine popularity polls, but in terms of stuff like cultural penetration (including stuff like merch sales) One Piece blows MHA out of the water in ways that are hard to describe. Having an anime that airs during a prime time slot for the past 17 years running will do that though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

z0glin Warchief posted:

I don't know about in terms of magazine popularity polls, but in terms of stuff like cultural penetration (including stuff like merch sales) One Piece blows MHA out of the water in ways that are hard to describe. Having an anime that airs during a prime time slot for the past 17 years running will do that though.

Yeah this is what I was getting at.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, One Piece is like Stone Cold at the height of the Attitude Era, except there's no Rock, no Undertaker, no Kurt Angle, no Triple H.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

Yeah, One Piece is like Stone Cold at the height of the Attitude Era, except there's no Rock, no Undertaker, no Kurt Angle, no Triple H.

No wifebeating.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What would have been number-one in popularity between Dragon Ball ending in 1995 and One Piece started in 1997?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

z0glin Warchief posted:

Oh I wasn't talking about that, I thought we were talking about currently running shonen jump stuff and what's the top ones in that

I know one piece is a cultural juggernaut, I honestly don't think even dbz has the cultural penetration it does at this point. Gundam maybe in japan, but worldwide one piece is kind of crazy well known, even in the us now it's huge, where it floundered for ages thanks to the apocalyptic 4kids dub

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Wheat Loaf posted:

What would have been number-one in popularity between Dragon Ball ending in 1995 and One Piece started in 1997?

Probably Ruroni Kenshin.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Slam Dunk was supposedly pretty popular. Ended in 1996, though. Maybe it doesn't count in the genre.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

According to the wiki article, Rurouni Kenshin, Yugioh, and Sexy Commando Gaiden were big, but it still suffered a largeish hit in sales and tried a bunch of stuff to make up for it, including running gravure idol picture sections.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not even sure how you define shounen as a genre, because it's basically just anything for young boys, isn't it? So I suppose that could include sports mangas alongside the action-adventure stuff (which I suppose is what most people would think of shounen manga as).

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not even sure how you define shounen as a genre, because it's basically just anything for young boys, isn't it? So I suppose that could include sports mangas alongside the action-adventure stuff (which I suppose is what most people would think of shounen manga as).

I was under the assumption we were talking specifically about Shonen Jump, actually.

It is (was*) pretty easy to define what counted as shonen though, because the magazines all explicitly identified as one demographic or another, so if it ran in a shonen magazine it was shonen, if it didn't it wasn't.

*The rise of independent publishing over the internet, where there's no explicitly stated demographic, makes some newer series hard to classify by the old standards though.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Don't question which series are shonen and which aren't, that way lies only madness and endless arguments. And the same goes for other demographics, the definitions are too loose. The only thing people (usually) agree on is that if a series runs in a shonen magazine, then it's probably shonen.

efb, what z0glin said basically.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

z0glin Warchief posted:

I was under the assumption we were talking specifically about Shonen Jump, actually.

It is (was*) pretty easy to define what counted as shonen though, because the magazines all explicitly identified as one demographic or another, so if it ran in a shonen magazine it was shonen, if it didn't it wasn't.

That seems sensible enough.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
http://mangastream.com/r/one_shot/Minna%20no%20Kochikame%20x%20Beelzebub/3757/1

Even if it's only one cross-over chapter, we get more Beelzebub!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
By the way, I don't think anyone here has discussed the twist at the end of the most recent Promised Neverland yet. I'm not completely clear what Norman's thought process here is. I'll have to go back to previous chapters and check what Emma and Norman said to Ray about the ropes.

It's early enough in the series's run that a twist like this is a real possibility, although there's also a possibility of it being a fake-out.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think it's a really dumb twist so it's probably just a fake out.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Silver2195 posted:

By the way, I don't think anyone here has discussed the twist at the end of the most recent Promised Neverland yet. I'm not completely clear what Norman's thought process here is. I'll have to go back to previous chapters and check what Emma and Norman said to Ray about the ropes.

It's early enough in the series's run that a twist like this is a real possibility, although there's also a possibility of it being a fake-out.

It's probably this

Remember how he said he was testing his group for moles. He was testing everyone. Besides Emma who he absolutely knows isn't a mole.
He told Ray that he told the other two people two different locations. Giving Ray those two locations. But he probably told everyone different locations including Ray(well Ray got 2).

So when Ray snitched trying to frame the other kid for it, Norman who told him fake information found the correct mole.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

e. ^^ :argh:

I think the thought process was:

Norman told Ray that he would tell Don that the ropes are underneath the bed, and Gilda that the ropes are in the bathroom. But what he actually did was, he told both Don and Gilda the ropes were in the bathroom, so the only one who knew the ropes were under the bed was Ray. So when Ray told Mama that the ropes were under the bed he was planning on framing Don, while in reality he unwittingly outed himself as the spy.

But I agree that it's a dumb twist. Let's just wait and see how they explain it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Something new? Ryoko

Post-apocalypse Japan, due to food being experimented on and eventually becoming sentient, huge, and violent. It's about a girl, her family, and her master, as she hunts and prepares their meals.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Get hype with Chapter 39 of Kengan Asura as we meet all 32 fighters in the tournament :black101:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ridiculous theme fighters are totally my jam

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
That chapter was p. bad, to be honest. Wasn't really a chapter so much as a list of names. Character, nameplate, character, nameplate, character, quip, nameplate, character, vague foreshadowing, nameplate.

I don't even remember any of the characters aside from gently caress boi and Kengan Hearts, let alone their names. It probably won't be neccessary since we learned basically nothing about them and we'll see them mentioned by name again when it's their time to shine, but man, what a waste of a chapter.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
fwiw we're like 10 volumes behind or something so there is plenty more to go

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is a tournament so most of those new characters will never be relevant. a 32 man elimination match means even the champion only fights 5 guys. rihito will fight less than that, quite possibly with whoever beats him facing ohma later on.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i find most of the fighters less interesting than the psychotic avatars of unchecked capitalism they work for, though

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i find most of the fighters less interesting than the psychotic avatars of unchecked capitalism they work for, though

Wait till you see the world leaders who will be spectating the tournament, like Mobama and Petin.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Schubalts posted:

Something new? Ryoko

Post-apocalypse Japan, due to food being experimented on and eventually becoming sentient, huge, and violent. It's about a girl, her family, and her master, as she hunts and prepares their meals.

This is really cool, and I love the forced perspective and janky, unconventional art style. Reminds me of Nejimaki Kagyu

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
he also teached me how to hunt

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Looks ok. Is that a first chapter or a oneshot?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It starts with a "Volume 1" page, but there's no English information about it's status, other than the magazine it's published in.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
New Promised Neverland.

I was a little worried but I like the way this turned out.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

New Promised Neverland.

Can't believe that this little conversation took the entire chapter.
It'll probably turn out that Ray is Mama's son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

RatHat posted:

New Promised Neverland.

And it was really good, in my opinion. Definitely handled what could've been poo poo pretty well in that chapter.