Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Your Computer posted:

Oh I know that, I just meant that their units plinked at the City for pitiful damage making the levying kinda useless.

It might be worth noting that having a siege tower adjacent to a city also allows your ranged units to do full damage to the city itself rather than the walls. At least that has been my experience with them so far.

I just build 1 or 2, attach them to my strongest melee unit and go conquer the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Roland Jones posted:

I don't know and would guess no, but it's a way to weaken your enemies without accruing warmongering penalties. Kill their units and gently caress up their everything, as long as you don't take cities for yourself I think you can basically hurt them penalty-free. Also halts a domination victory if you liberate capitals, I guess, and/or helps an ally if you liberate their cities for them.

Not that either. If you lose a capitol, it stays lost, even if you take it back. Domination victory is being the last guy with his original capitol, so you can, theoretically, win it as a turtle if the other guys manage to lose their capitols once each first.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
There's a big problem with the unit progression.

I'm going up against England who have no Iron or Ninite. We're both in the Industrial-ish age.

However, I unlocked Infantry before them. That means I'm walking into their territory with Infantry who are being viciously attacked by spearmen...even though we're fairly similar in terms of tech levels (I'm just a smidge ahead)

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Regarding the AI missionary spam. I turned off religious victory and it seems that the AI simply doesn't try to convert you. They build a few missionaries but they don't actually do stuff.

Could be just a coincidence of course.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

H13 posted:

There's a big problem with the unit progression.

I'm going up against England who have no Iron or Ninite. We're both in the Industrial-ish age.

However, I unlocked Infantry before them. That means I'm walking into their territory with Infantry who are being viciously attacked by spearmen...even though we're fairly similar in terms of tech levels (I'm just a smidge ahead)

The game really could benefit from having some sort of medieval men-at-arms unit that requires no iron, and an early industrial rifleman unit that requires no niter. If only because then the AI can upgrade its units and you don't have to fight warriors any more in 1800 AD.

I realise they tried to minimize the amount of upgrading you have to do to some degree, but requiring resources for leaps in your basic infantry is kind of bad. Maybe just keep the upgrade line the same but add a special grenadier that needs niter which wrecks fortified units or something (to break through a guy turtling up) and some early medieval unit that does the same wth iron.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
This has probably been brought up before but how do you sell units?

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Khagan posted:

This has probably been brought up before but how do you sell units?

You delete them. It gives money back, even though nothing indicates it other than your gold going up after pressing the button.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I'm overseas and can't play until the 31st. Tell me, is there some sort of bonus for being the first to circumnavigate the world? I loved that from IV.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Deltasquid posted:

The game really could benefit from having some sort of medieval men-at-arms unit that requires no iron, and an early industrial rifleman unit that requires no niter. If only because then the AI can upgrade its units and you don't have to fight warriors any more in 1800 AD.

I realise they tried to minimize the amount of upgrading you have to do to some degree, but requiring resources for leaps in your basic infantry is kind of bad. Maybe just keep the upgrade line the same but add a special grenadier that needs niter which wrecks fortified units or something (to break through a guy turtling up) and some early medieval unit that does the same wth iron.

I think they could make it much simpler.

Everybody can build Swordsmen or Musketeers without the resource. However Musketeers built in a city which is connected to a Ninite resource will receive a +25% bonus to attack strength. Or Swordsmen who have access to an Iron Resource cost less in terms of unit maintenance. Since Production is such a valuable asset, maybe halved production time?

There's value in giving a worthwhile bonus to units if you have the correct resource, but it's a bit poo poo for England to ALMOST be as advanced as I am and to be attacking me with spears when I have Infantry.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
How do you fix the 10 minute load times on Win7? I thought it'd just be an exception with DEP but that was already disabled.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sanctum posted:

How do you fix the 10 minute load times on Win7? I thought it'd just be an exception with DEP but that was already disabled.

Add the civ6 folder to Microsoft Security Essentials/Defender exceptions.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I had both DEP and the defender disabled but somehow enabling windows defender and adding the exception worked. Load times went from astronomical to still slow but less than a full minute.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

H13 posted:

I think they could make it much simpler.

Everybody can build Swordsmen or Musketeers without the resource. However Musketeers built in a city which is connected to a Ninite resource will receive a +25% bonus to attack strength. Or Swordsmen who have access to an Iron Resource cost less in terms of unit maintenance. Since Production is such a valuable asset, maybe halved production time?

There's value in giving a worthwhile bonus to units if you have the correct resource, but it's a bit poo poo for England to ALMOST be as advanced as I am and to be attacking me with spears when I have Infantry.

I am having a similar issue. There's no nitre on my continent at all that I can see so none of us have it. This means it's 1570 and I'm using my infantry against the Aztec's carpet of horsemen. Every other civ just has loads of horsemen/knights too because although most of them can build musketmen there's really nowhere else to go without the resource.
I get that it encourages you to build random cities to claim the resource but it does hurt because of the unit gaps.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Trivia posted:

I'm overseas and can't play until the 31st. Tell me, is there some sort of bonus for being the first to circumnavigate the world? I loved that from IV.

There doesn't seem to be.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Palleon posted:

Sorry if this has been answered before, but this thread moves way too quickly to keep up:

I captured India's capital in my game, and then made them cede it to me in the peace deal. However, i can't realistically build anything, the city screen says I have 25 production per turn, but it will take me 20 turns to repair a library (60/80 production). It looks like I'm getting like 5% of the base production, and there's no obvious explanation as to why this is happening or how I can fix it. Are conquered cities supposed to be this crippled for the whole game?

Sullla got a bug sorta like this in his stream as well, his holy site got pillaged and it completely and utterly hosed up the production numbers when he tried to rebuild it and put a shrine there as well. It was displaying -85/20 and poo poo.

https://clips.twitch.tv/lcsullla/AdventurousNewtNoNoSpot
https://clips.twitch.tv/lcsullla/AggressiveCrabWholeWheat

Impermanent posted:

There's no other victory type where you would be focused on building wonders at that phase of the game, though. For domination obviously you would want to be building units / nukes. For science you're putting spaceport districts up and making GBS threads satellites. If you haven't won via religion at this point you've transitioned to a different victory condition. By the time you're in the late-game any time spent building a wonder for a non-cultural victory is completely wasted, and would be unless that wonder were game-changingly powerful, at which point that wonder winds up being mandatory for that victory, which shuts out players from pursuing those other tactics. Culture has so many wonders for it because it's a given that cultural victory focused players will be competing for them / sniping each other for them. For the other victories they would be distractions.

Civ 4's final set of wonders pretty much had one that helped with every type of victory condition. Three Gorges was a disgusting production boost assuming you hadn't got Power Plants yet. The culture triangle of Broadway/Rock and Roll/Hollywood did give you culture but it also gave you +1 happiness flat and also 4 resources you could just trade away for whatever you want. Space Elevator boosted Space Race, UN is self-explanatory and then if you did just want to go ham on production and killing people, Mt Rushmore, Pentagon and Kremlin would lower War Weariness, give your troops +2XP right out of the gate and make it cheaper to gold rush stuff.

You just need to make the wonders do different stuff.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I won a science victory on Deity yesterday. The AI never wardeced me despite denouncing me and my army consisting of 2 ancient Era warriors and a nuclear submarine.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Trying for a religious victory wouldn't be so bad if I could actually find a clear path towards any of the AI's cities. There's so many goddamn units everywhere spilling outward from any given area, my flow of missionaries is backing up forming a barrier around them making it even worse.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really like the Ranged unit upgrade path in this, I always felt they became something too specialized or useless after the early tiers, but now crossbowmen becoming light cannon then machine guns is great.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I'm currently having a hell of a time taking an enemy capital because 3rd party missionaries are swarming around it making it really hard to get units in to attack it. I'm either going to have to pull back and wait for them to leave (dunno wtf they are doing there either - either convert the city or gently caress off elsewhere) or just declare war on them and kill their units too. It's really dumb. Or Ghandi is really trying to prevent war by forming a human wall to stop my aggression!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I think every war I have declared in this game has been to trample enemy religious units so far.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
So with there being no real penalty to adding more cities in VI, is there ever really an incentive to Raze a city (outside of just not wanting the tedium of micromanaging another city)? I've taken over almost all of my continent and see Greece has settled two crap cities, they have no lux, little production, and really aren't worth much. But since there are no economic/science/culture penalties for adding cities, I'm considering keeping them regardless because hey, I can still grow pop and get some science/culture, right?

And I do like how this game kinda wants you to settle cities close. I'm trying Germany for easymode and my first three cities are all close to each other (I've never gotten pop above like 11 so there's no worry of 'losing' good tiles due to overlap), so once i get powerplants up and running I feel like this game will be over. I'm still trying to get my head around districts being key and not just farming everything possible, but it's a good shift.

Decrepus posted:

I think every war I have declared in this game has been to trample enemy religious units so far.

I haven't played over Prince yet, but I feel like religion is coming down to getting one and sniping AI capitals/holy cities with it and then letting them do the work for you :v:

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 26, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I played a standard sized game with one less AI to make it less crowded. It was crowded as hell because it turned out the game put all civs except one on one of the two continents and Brazil had the entire other landmass (half the world) to themselves. For fucks sake, spread players out you dumbass devs.

China declared on France and took Paris in two turns and I declared on them and took Paris for myself. I ended up having to declare war on France and take their last city to make Paris snap out of occupied mode and actually grow. I couldn't get the cede city deal with China because they didn't get it from France(?) and I couldn't get it from France either. :downs:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Darkrenown posted:

I'm currently having a hell of a time taking an enemy capital because 3rd party missionaries are swarming around it making it really hard to get units in to attack it. I'm either going to have to pull back and wait for them to leave (dunno wtf they are doing there either - either convert the city or gently caress off elsewhere) or just declare war on them and kill their units too. It's really dumb. Or Ghandi is really trying to prevent war by forming a human wall to stop my aggression!

I feel like there should be a way to walk your missionaries through troops and visa versa as long as the civ agrees. Trying to convert Kongo (which he REALLY wants) was a nightmare because of his unit carpet.

Also the upgrade to Apostles that wipes out the other religions in the city - proselytising - is absolutely ridiculous and has allowed me to sweep every civ nearby.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh wow, people weren't joking about Mvemba being a huge dick about converting him. I decided to try that "Duel Mvemba, religion victory only" thing for the heck of it, and I went for Stonehenge. After I finished it, during my turn and before I even made the religion itself, he sent me an angry message about my lack of conviction and whatnot. In a turn or two he then denounced me, then after that declared war. While this was going on I was struggling to make a Holy Site because I couldn't actually spread my religion without Missionaries, who I couldn't make without a shrine, and, long story short, he murdered me horribly.

Tried again on a non-Pangaea map, so we were separated by water, and while he sent me the angry message after I founded my religion (though it took a turn or two this time, possibly because I didn't go with Stonehenge), he never denounced or went to war. Not sure if it was because of the separation or something else (he was able to sail and even settled on my continent before the end), but, yeah. Stuff like that definitely needs to be changed.

Unrelated, being Catherine/France is interesting. You get so much info on people and know their hidden agendas and stuff with just a delegate to their capitals early on. Which is sometimes a bit silly, as two of the four people I've met thus far had hidden agendas they can't actually do anything with for several eras (Victoria having some agenda that makes her love aircraft, and Gandhi loving his nukes), but, hey. Good to know, at least.

Edit: Different tangent, every time I've seen the AI get a religion they seem to always take Divine Inspiration (the "Faith from Wonders" belief) first, and I think usually Synagogues. I wonder if this is tied to them usually getting the first religion via Stonehenge, or if these things are just weighted (incorrectly?) so the AI loves them more than all other options.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 26, 2016

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

they really need something to do with writers, I had 6 Great Writers idling around my empire, and I wasn't even focusing Culture. I ended up using them to obstruct enemy apostles from reaching my Holy City which is technically useful but....

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Wait sending delegates actually does something? I thought it was just there to waste your money because nearly every time I try the other Civ gets even angrier at me then they were before. Even when they accepted it I had no idea it showed you things in diplomacy so I stopped sending them altogether. Maybe that's why everyone always hates me.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I love it when AI rages at me and declares war because a scout on auto-explore got "close" to their borders a few times. Bonus points for AI getting mad because they kept trying to get missionaries to convert my city close to theirs, and dying to my apostles converted their city over time. Maybe just stop sending religious zealots and honor the promise you gave me about converting cities?

Also I just had a war with England (which they kicked off because of the scout mentioned above). I originally wanted to use the occasion to cut them down to 2-3 cities and give Paris back to France, but I had to stop before reaching either goal because my war weariness had gotten so high I had some cities making GBS threads out 5 rebel units every turn (also I seriously misjudged how much damage contaminated tiles do and lost several units that way when the game's auto-center unit feature made me misclick and waste their movement in an area full of forests and hills). Except weariness still had not recovered 10 turns later and I think I'll just abandon the game (I "won" alright?).

orcane fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 26, 2016

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

orcane posted:

I love it when AI rages at me and declares war because a scout on auto-explore got "close" to their borders a few times. Bonus points for AI getting mad because they kept trying to get missionaries to convert my city close to theirs, and dying to my apostles converted their city over time. Maybe just stop sending religious zealots and honor the promise you gave me about converting cities?

Also I just had a war with England (which they kicked off because of the scout mentioned above). I originally wanted to use the occasion to cut them down to 2-3 cities and give Paris back to France, but I had to stop before reaching either goal because my war weariness had gotten so high I had some cities making GBS threads out 5 rebel units every turn (also I seriously misjudged how much damage contaminated tiles do and lost several units that way when the game's auto-center unit feature made me misclick and waste their movement in an area full of forests and hills). Except weariness still had not recovered 10 turns later and I think I'll just abandon the game (I "won" alright?).

I had -5 war weariness amenities in a few of my cities a bunch of turns after a long war had ended and it seemed to last forever. Then I saved, went to sleep and the next day I wasn't really paying attention but I checked again about 5 turns into the game and it was all gone so I don't know if it was reloading that did it or if it just goes poof at some point.

The next war I managed to liberate a city-state in the process of taking 3 other cities and I think it helped diplomatic relationships because none of the bit players denounced me again after the initial round of warmonger denouncements even though I had causus belli.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah I managed to get some of my cities to -11, I'll try reloading and see if that does anything.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What's the difference between settling on a resource and settling next to it? Such as e.g. bananas. Does a city improve a resource automatically? What happens if you settle on forest, do you lose the production from it?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

twistedmentat posted:

I really like the Ranged unit upgrade path in this, I always felt they became something too specialized or useless after the early tiers, but now crossbowmen becoming light cannon then machine guns is great.

I think machine guns are still pretty useless since I like to keep my ranged units behind a line of infantry, but yeah, having something between crossbows and them is nice.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Ambivalent posted:

they really need something to do with writers, I had 6 Great Writers idling around my empire, and I wasn't even focusing Culture. I ended up using them to obstruct enemy apostles from reaching my Holy City which is technically useful but....

I think you just need more culture districts to hold all of their poo poo. In the last game I played I was actually able to use them all because I had built one in every city.

I really like that there are a bunch of different systems in this game to make it less boring than Civ 5 at release. But HOLY poo poo I don't have time to make missionaries and apostles every turn to try to fight enemy religious units, constantly assign trade routes (BE...), make builders and upgrade every tile, and kowtow to the AIs that are left in the game, all while in a multiplayer game while my friends are waiting on me.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Is there any way to actually monitor your progress towards a Culture victory? Seems like you just get the Tourism number which means...something and then that's it?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Decrepus posted:

I think you just need more culture districts to hold all of their poo poo. In the last game I played I was actually able to use them all because I had built one in every city.

I really like that there are a bunch of different systems in this game to make it less boring than Civ 5 at release. But HOLY poo poo I don't have time to make missionaries and apostles every turn to try to fight enemy religious units, constantly assign trade routes (BE...), make builders and upgrade every tile, and kowtow to the AIs that are left in the game, all while in a multiplayer game while my friends are waiting on me.

I don't see a lot of point in farting around with religious units, especially in a multiplayer game, unless you're going for religious victory.

If trade routes are getting annoying just find good super long ones.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

Is there any way to actually monitor your progress towards a Culture victory? Seems like you just get the Tourism number which means...something and then that's it?

The tourism numbers are your way to monitor it :confused:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

The tourism numbers are your way to monitor it :confused:

What does that number mean though? In V you could see how your stuff was stacking up against other civs, in VI I just have that number which goes up but I have no idea how much I need to get to or how fast.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Inspector_666 posted:

In the tourism victory screen (click on the tiny victory button at the top right corner of the screen and check out the individual victories instead of the global overview) you can see how many foreign and domestic tourists everyone has. If you have more visiting tourists from abroad than every single other civilization has domestic tourists, you win the culture game!

Note that this can be really unexpected because the game never bothers to update you on "You now have more visiting tourists than England has domestic tourists!" or something akin to that, so some people are blindsided by a sudden culture victory when they capture a bunch of wonders or whatever.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 26, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Deltasquid posted:

In the tourism victory screen (click on the tiny victory button at the top right corner of the screen and check out the individual victories instead of the global overview) you can see how many foreign and domestic tourists everyone has. If you have more visiting tourists from abroad than every single other civilization has domestic tourists, you win the culture game!

Note that this can be really unexpected because the game never bothers to update you on "You now have more visiting tourists than England has domestic tourists!" or whatever, so some people are blindsided by a sudden culture victory when they capture a bunch of wonders or whatever.

Ah, OK. I didn't realize I could see the details from the victory screen.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

In the Culture Victory screen, it shows how many International Tourists you have visiting and how many you need (which is 1 more than the highest number of domestic tourists any other Civ has). Like, there will be a number that says like 20/109 in the right hand column, which is your progress. Of course, the '109' will change as other civs get better Tourism of their own, so your target goes up over time as well.

The victory/score screens are actually pretty decent in this one. Though the military strength calculation is way wrong, and clearly doesn't account for tech level. I had half the score of Kongo when he attacked me with a horde of Crossbowmen, who ran into a single Tank and a single Machine Gun who made mincemeat of them all.

Edit: beaten. It is funny with Culture victory how easy it is to win it, at least on lower difficulties. I was barely paying attention to culture, had only two Theatre Squares, didn't do any Archeological digs, and my Roman game nearly ended in a Culture victory before my last spaceship part blasted off. Fair, I did have quite a few wonders, and I established some Resorts for fun, but still. Hoping that moving up in difficulty will make me work for it.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
UI issues aside, I'm really having fun with the game so far.

I'm really looking forward to GMR supporting it (and the exploits being fixed) so I can get some async multiplayer games going with my friends.