Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Anidav posted:

4K adoption rates will increase year by year and they'll put out a 4K dock to ride the gravy train and not get Wii Ud by 3rd parties.

You're not making sense. There's no point to filling the dock with expensive hardware, it would be cost prohibitive and a likely programming nightmare to have multiple chipsets at play with different capabilities.

The Switch hardware is, like, specifically designed to never be the zenith of console power, its form factor simply wouldn't work that way. Nerds who demand 4k games won't choose the portable ports in the first place, they'll buy the port for the system that's built for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Nintendo announce "Pay What You Like" for Switch.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Rexroom posted:

One thing I hope the dock has is an ethernet port. Wi-fi is great, but sometimes copper is more reliable.

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/791181419242336256

So, how much are you willing to pay for the Switch?

€250 happily, but I'm an idiot who'll probably end up buying it even for €350

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Rexroom posted:

One thing I hope the dock has is an ethernet port. Wi-fi is great, but sometimes copper is more reliable.

My firstborn.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I think they will because they've stated they won't sell it at a loss, the price of the whole bundle would make it hard to compete with other stationaries

they are trying their hardest to sell this thing as a home console that happens to also be possible. the chance of it being released at launch in a portable-only form is basically zero.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

wicka posted:

they are trying their hardest to sell this thing as a home console that happens to also be possible. the chance of it being released at launch in a portable-only form is basically zero.

From a marketing standpoint what you're saying makes sense, but financially... I guess if they make the dock real cheap to manufacture that might work though

Yeah okay you're probably right, which means the dock is likely only a fan and some port connectors with an external power brick

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/791237857243373568

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd be surprised if the dock even had a fan. It's a glorified changing station is my bet.

I'd pay $250 day 1. More if it came with a solid bundle or launch title. If Zelda drops at the same time then yeah.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

smdh at people thinking the dock has more cpu or gpu power.

If such a thing were feasible, we'd see laptop docks that juice up the speed. It isnt, so we don't.

Even if it were, do you think Nintendo of all companies would be the ones to launch it?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

well why not posted:

smdh at people thinking the dock has more cpu or gpu power.

If such a thing were feasible, we'd see laptop docks that juice up the speed. It isnt, so we don't.

Even if it were, do you think Nintendo of all companies would be the ones to launch it?

it's literally extant technology. i mean, duh, it's not going to be included in the switch, but acting like its impossible is pretty dumb

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

well why not posted:

I'd be surprised if the dock even had a fan. It's a glorified changing station is my bet.

I'd pay $250 day 1. More if it came with a solid bundle or launch title. If Zelda drops at the same time then yeah.

The Switch itself has a fan, people believe it may only need active cooling one it is plugged in and overclocks itself.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

wicka posted:

it's literally extant technology. i mean, duh, it's not going to be included in the switch, but acting like its impossible is pretty dumb

i mean yes, it's possible. but not for less than a $400 rrp.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I can't wait to call people on my nintenphone.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

nintendo more like nin-denwa!! wado. nindenwado

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

when is nintenda going to announce the nz

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Rexroom posted:

Rasery's firstborn.
Or I could chuck max €399 but it needs to have the dock included.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

irlZaphod posted:

when is nintenda going to announce the nz

the nz (which will be revealed as "switch u") will be a dog that will walk itself to the park so that you can keep playing on your gaming pc

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
a day 1 accessory for the nz will be a microsoft hololens with a program specifically tailored to superimpose its graphics on websites, so that if you browse on twitch on your pc you will find Splatoon to be on top of the Twitch page with 1 billion current viewers, and will change the MLG cod streams into Splatoon

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
If you buy the nz day one a senior employee at nintendo will adopt you[1] as an uncle (or aunt!!!) and will even come with you at the school reunion to tell your classmates that all the things you told them were all true.

[1] the program is not available in europe because gently caress europe

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
The first eShop game for the NZ will be Picross Reverse, where you build Picross puzzles and nintendo employees have to solve them.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Dock will be included in all bundles.

There will be a 'pro' bundle that includes a pro controller of some kind, wireless sexting headset and Silent Hill Picross.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I wonder if the Switch will let me have an American account so I can get games at actually affordable prices for once.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pro version comes with an external DVD drive and a copy of either Irreversible or Visitor Q

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
The NZ's final launch name will be the "Aussie" ironically

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The NZ will come with a Suzuki-exclusive car dock.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

limaCAT posted:

Rasery's firstborn.
Or I could chuck max €399 but it needs to have the dock included.

please don't equate my firstborn with your weirdo foreigner currency

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The car will actually dock into it. The NZ is the world's first garage-size gaming console.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Every console will come with a dock and it's ridiculous to think otherwise.

Also the dock isn't going to be expensive or account for a significant part of the Switch's cost. It's just a charging dock with HDMI out, some USB ports, that's engineered well to be able to add and remove a thing quickly.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Great Joe posted:

The car will actually dock into it. The NZ is the world's first garage-size gaming console.

if you don't count the original Xbox that is :twisted:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

holy poo poo...! :popeye:

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

oddium posted:

if you don't count the original Xbox that is :twisted:

This is the kind of joke I signed up for these forums to see

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I still need to play Drift Stage, and Nintendo will be doomed if they don't have a Drift Stage port for the NY

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Raserys posted:

please don't equate my firstborn with your weirdo foreigner currency

I don't want currency I want the NX

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
hell, same

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Nintendo better adopt Switch Puppy as an official Switch mascot :mad: wanna pet that dog

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

switch doggo for sm4sh

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I am glad Planet Robobot apparently sold (shipped/sold?) over a million kirbles since release and I am looking forward to the inevitable traditional Kirby game on Switch to go unnoticed by most of the industry but still managing to end up awesome.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I am glad Planet Robobot apparently sold (shipped/sold?) over a million kirbles since release and I am looking forward to the inevitable traditional Kirby game on Switch to go unnoticed by most of the industry but still managing to end up awesome.

I recently purchased Robobot and played it during a trip and it is really good. My favorite traditional Kirby game since the NES one.

As for Switch price, 299 is for the sure the sweet spot. Can't see it being more than 399 as the ceiling. I'd predict 349.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I recently purchased Robobot and played it during a trip and it is really good. My favorite traditional Kirby game since the NES one.

As for Switch price, 299 is for the sure the sweet spot. Can't see it being more than 399 as the ceiling. I'd predict 349.

It'll probably be like the Wii U, where it was $299 for the basic package, or $349 for more accessories and/or internal storage.

Actually, I'm really curious about what the storage solution here is going to be. You can't really call it portable if it's plugged into an external hard drive, and some modern games that don't have the benefit of having tiny assets like on 3DS can easily take up an entire 64 GB SD Card.

I can't see Nintendo abandoning the e-shop, but I am very curious to see if they have a solution for this, or if I'm just gonna be hot-swapping SD cards :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Carts make physical games far more appealing, that's for sure, so mass storage is "buy a cart case that holds 18 games in a DS-case-sized package".

• Locked thread