Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Hmmm, I assumed he was talking about Arrieta. Perhaps I misinterpreted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Gobias Ind. posted:

Hmmm, I assumed he was talking about Arrieta. Perhaps I misinterpreted.

Na I was totally talking about Arrieta. He's handsome, has a beard, and mashes dingers.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

SharkTattoos posted:

I thought that we looked pretty good last night considering the pitching opposition. Guys looked better at the plate than they did against Kershaw / hill last week.

Yeah, they looked better than it seemed. Also, Cleveland winning last night was the predicted result, so I can't exactly cry doom and gloom at this point.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Vintimus Prime posted:

I absolutely still hate this rule. Always have, always will. And my team is an AL team.

I complete agree that the rule absolutely sucks. And that's not just :salt: from an NL team fan. It's just mind boggling that the MLB wants to attach significance to a game that is a revolving door of players. A lot of batters only get one at bat, but the pitchers are the real issue because they usually only get an inning at most now and for starters that just not enough time to get into a groove.

I'd rather have home field advantage go back to alternating years than to the winner of an exhibition game.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Na I was totally talking about Arrieta. He's handsome, has a beard, and mashes dingers.

I forget.

Did most of these beardy guys have a beard all season, or is it a playoff thing?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The worst part about going to the game was how the team with the 3rd lowest attendance in baseball suddenly has a legion of extremely cocky fans showing up at Progressive.

Cleveland had a crazy sellout streak at the Jake in the mid-90s during their good years.

The fans are there, but I'm not sure why they didn't turn out during the year if the team's attendance was that meh.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Am I the only Cubs fan that remembers that Kluber uses a historically Not Good fastball to setup great breaking stuff? He had his fb last night, it was cool to watch. If he doesn't have it to the same degree even a little bit the Cubs could utterly crush him. Kershaw lost a bit of touch on his curve in game 6 and look what happened.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Red posted:

I forget.

Did most of these beardy guys have a beard all season, or is it a playoff thing?

Everyone on the Cubs who has a beard has had one for a while, Arietta in particular for the past few years. Hammel had one all year. Ross has had his for a while. Schwarber I think was born with that weird chin thing. Can't think of anyone else off the top of my head.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Oh it's my fault, I forgot to make a donation pledge. $5 for every Cubs hit the rest of the series like last one. Hope the karmic scales shift now.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ChiTownEddie posted:

Am I the only Cubs fan that remembers that Kluber uses a historically Not Good fastball to setup great breaking stuff? He had his fb last night, it was cool to watch. If he doesn't have it to the same degree even a little bit the Cubs could utterly crush him. Kershaw lost a bit of touch on his curve in game 6 and look what happened.

Am I the only one who felt like Kluber got a lot of borderline calls to go his way?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Red posted:

Am I the only one who felt like Kluber got a lot of borderline calls to go his way?

Kluber and Miller are able to warp space time to make everything a strike.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 26, 2016

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Dexo posted:

Kluber and Miller are able to warp space time to make everything a strike.

I accept this, or some form of witchcraft.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Mostly the ump was actually really loving good actually.

Kluber

Miller

Lester

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

RC Cola posted:

Nice thread name

Came here to post this. Mods/OP on fire

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

ChiTownEddie posted:

Klubers two seam fastball looked ridiculous last night. How many times in the regular season do you see guys bail out of the box on a two seam fastball that comes back in for a strike? I honestly don't really fault the Cubs hitters too much, Kluber was on point and he setup his slider with the two seam perfectly. He looked down right unhittable.

I'm pretty pleased with how they handled Miller though, he gave up 4 hits and walked a few. Ultimately didn't cash in, but he threw something like 50 pitches.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

ChiTownEddie posted:

I was always of the thought that his two seam fastball was incredibly good and then he destroys people with his cutter/slider thing.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Red posted:

He did get a few but bitching about balls and strikes is stupid.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I was always of the thought that his two seam fastball was incredibly good and then he destroys people with his cutter/slider thing.

The cutter/slider does destroy but he gives up something like a 900 OPS with his fastballs.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Dexo posted:

Mostly the ump was actually really loving good actually.

Kluber

I'll be damned. That's a lot sharper than it came across on TV.

He did get a few but bitching about balls and strikes is stupid.

Hey, if the ump is giving you room, it's the pitcher's job to take advantage of it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

TMMadman posted:

I complete agree that the rule absolutely sucks. And that's not just :salt: from an NL team fan. It's just mind boggling that the MLB wants to attach significance to a game that is a revolving door of players. A lot of batters only get one at bat, but the pitchers are the real issue because they usually only get an inning at most now and for starters that just not enough time to get into a groove.

I'd rather have home field advantage go back to alternating years than to the winner of an exhibition game.

I love the American cultural belief of "Let's make sure this NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN" and it leads to stupid rules and laws in all facets of society: The Patriot Act, Zero Tolerance policies, HFA in the WS determined by the All-Star game...

All because Bud Selig got embarrassed at the ASG in his home stadium.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I really think HFA in the World Series should go to the team with the better record. Alternating years just seems silly to me, and punishes the better team by arriving in the wrong year

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Red posted:

The K-zone thing on TV actually looked small.

Carlosologist posted:

I really think HFA in the World Series should go to the team with the better record. Alternating years just seems silly to me, and punishes the better team by arriving in the wrong year

Then you punish the team in the better league most times.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Red posted:

Hey, if the ump is giving you room, it's the pitcher's job to take advantage of it.

Exactly it's part of the game and why it's so fun.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bad boy in the boy band posted:

I love the American cultural belief of "Let's make sure this NEVER HAPPENS AGAIN" and it leads to stupid rules and laws in all facets of society: The Patriot Act, Zero Tolerance policies, HFA in the WS determined by the All-Star game...

All because Bud Selig got embarrassed at the ASG in his home stadium.

Really it was all Torii Hunter's fault if you think about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcQ5De9ZcZc

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm in SE Wisconsin. It's been pouring all morning, and the mass of rain is heading straight for Indiana and Ohio.

I know they moved the game up, but will that even matter at this point?

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Carlosologist posted:

I thought maybe it could be whichever league won the WS got home field advantage the next year. Who knows.

bad boy in the boy band posted:

I'm in SE Wisconsin. It's been pouring all morning, and the mass of rain is heading straight for Indiana and Ohio.

I know they moved the game up, but will that even matter at this point?

What happens if a WS game is completely rained out?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'm in town for game 2 and I'm not heading back to chicago until Friday morning so I won't really mind that much if the game gets pushed to tomorrow.

Plus, then maybe the Cubs could have Hendricks go on full rest tomorrow, and Arrieta could go on Friday at home where his bat is a huge advantage.

edit: biggest chance of rain apparently is 65% from 11 PM to 2 AM, but it's basically 50% from 2PM on. I could totally see a rainout happening.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Miz Kriss posted:

I thought maybe it could be whichever league won the WS got home field advantage the next year. Who knows.

It would be made up tomorrow and there would be no travel day.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

Miz Kriss posted:

The home team is automatically awarded the win.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Does anybody have a link to a clip of Rizzo screaming "gently caress" as he goes back to the dugout from last night?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Miz Kriss posted:

They just eliminate it and it becomes a 6 game series. They use today as a travel day and play Thursday at Wrigley moving every other game up one day.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Miz Kriss posted:

Both teams are eliminated and Toronto and LA play a best-of-five series to determine the real winner.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Miz Kriss posted:

They cancel the whole series and there is no champion that year.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Red posted:

The camera angle seemed unusually bad to me

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Inspector_666 posted:

Does anybody have a link to a clip of Rizzo screaming "gently caress" as he goes back to the dugout from last night?

And can it be synched up next to the Lackeyfuck.gif?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Miz Kriss posted:

This happened in 2008, and, uh, it was not a big deal at all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_World_Series#Implications_of_the_suspension

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Joe Buck doesn't help that since his broadcasts are him vomiting poo poo into a mic for 3+ hours.

It is somewhat offset by Buck Martinez, whose work I enjoy greatly

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It is somewhat offset by Buck Martinez, whose work I enjoy greatly

Were you watching on Sportsnet? I'm pretty sure they show an international feed of some kind - it was Matt Vasgersian and Buck Martinez.

Fox had Joe Buck and John Smoltz.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Gobias Ind. posted:

Were you watching on Sportsnet? I'm pretty sure they show an international feed of some kind - it was Matt Vasgersian and Buck Martinez.

I like that Buck supported getting Uecker on the broadcast on Twitter, and briefly mentioned Ueck last night, but that was it. :what:

Did it get mentioned again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Gobias Ind. posted:

I'm onboard the gently caress Buck train, but Smoltz has been nice to listen to. Or maybe he just seems great compared to the douche next to him...

Kluber was filthy last night...and I cannot think of a more Cubs way to gently caress themselves out of a bases loaded no out scenario than last night. That was tough to watch.

• Locked thread