Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I haven't played FM17 in over 3 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'll give that a go, thanks.

Just had my first game against a former first-teamer who left against my wishes. We lost 2-1, he was man of the match, he scored the winner, and of course "that's his first ever goal for Burnley" in mid-December.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
Oh well, at least they added the option to have small icons on the sidebar rather than having to have text over a certain resolution.

Oh they've also changed the name of Limited Centre Back to Defensive Centre Back

Stotty fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 18, 2016

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Walton Simons posted:

I'll give that a go, thanks.

Just had my first game against a former first-teamer who left against my wishes. We lost 2-1, he was man of the match, he scored the winner, and of course "that's his first ever goal for Burnley" in mid-December.

I definitely feel like former players often pull out really good performances against you, but whether that's actually coded into the game (some sort of "motivation" boost?) or just confirmation bias I don't know.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

It certainly feels like that now we've just Gone Bad.

Got into November looking fantastic without losing in the league or cup all season, including against Premier League opposition then bam, 7 games without a win. We're currently getting destroyed by Brentford at home when we should be able to give them a game but the whole team look they've never kicked a ball before.

I get that teams have slumps but unless you're Alan Pardew it's generally not going from tearing things up to being battered by mediocre opposition in every game for two months.

e: We just went down 1-0 to Palace at home, then basically from our kickoff, my RB decided this wouldn't stand, ran at their defence, went round everyone and slammed it into the top corner for his first goal in about 150 games :stare: He mad.

e2: We threw away a 2-1 lead to lose 3-2 in that game. I rejigged my tactics after than and played Brentford off the park for 55 minutes, which is great, but than we scored. Then they scored immediately. We just cannot hold a lead. Even with timewasting and tactical changes, it's like a switch flicks and opponents who we were embarrassing until we scored just become an unstoppable force and we concede so easily. I might try pushing up and trying to dominate possession next time I take the lead since sitting back just invites bombardment. Would a defensive mentality with 'push higher up' work or is that too stupid?

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 18, 2016

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

It's the game engine recalculating your reputation based on your performances and because rep plays so much into the results of games, you end up getting gamed by the system. Best solution is just to keep morale up with team talks, grind out some draws by playing real defensively and then work your way back into form imo

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

By play defensively I don't mean set your team to 'Defensive' but put a proper DM in, FBs staying back, kill the tempo and let your front man and wingers do all the attacking and everyone just soaking up pressure

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

is all the contrived bullshit like The Striker Drought and Your Cup Opponents Are The Team You Play The Weekend Before In The League still in the game?

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I'm only playing LLM like usual, but so far the engine feels alright. Certainly no repetitive hoofed balls to the back post tap-ins, then again the beta last year felt not too bad to me either.

My matches in the conference north have felt suitably scrappy and lovely quality.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I'm getting way too angry at this game because we just cannot hold a lead.

It doesn't matter what I do, if I leave alone or go defensive and waste time or push for a second every loving game goes:

We're dominating
We score
They have a highlight
They have a highlight
They have a highlight
They have a highlight
They score
Nothing happens for the rest of the game

Six of our last 12 games have ended 1-1 because of this. I went 2-0 up once, absolutely smashing the opposition to bits and lost 5-2.

e: Just gave away two penalties in the first 20 minutes after missing 3 clear cut chances against Peterborough. That's a ragequit. Somehow when I look at my opponent's team and tactics and carefully consider how best to play we manage to be considerably shitter than when I just go '4-2-3-1, flexible, counter :downs:'

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 26, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's a bad game, just play fifa instead.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It's your tactics, mate

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

It's only a bad game when I lose, ofc. Just like XCOM.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 26, 2016

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
"I felt we were absolutely smashing them to bits, and feel the 5-2 result was undeserved."

- Walton "Big Brendo" Simons

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Also, it's not said enough but it's your players. Sometimes you can set up a tactical masterclass but if you're expecting Danny Drinkwater to be Andre Pirlo you're destined for a poo poo result. Sometimes with a poo poo team there's little you can do but set up a negative side and hope you can grind out a result. It's very similar to rl football in that regard in that not every team can play the "beautiful" game.

*Unless you're using one of those exploit formations like having 3 strikers in FM15.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

The 5-2 was definitely deserved when we were amazing for 20 minutes and poo poo for 70. You're probably right about the players. I'm doing a youth academy challenge only and my defensive midfield types aren't in the same class as my attackers so we're bad at closing out our games and conceding makes their head drop too easily since they're 22 at the oldest and it makes me mad at video games. Also nobody but my centre-backs are good in the air.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Is there a 17 thread

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Mandalay posted:

Is there a 17 thread

You asked. Now you have to make it.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
New year
Same game
same thread

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Waroduce posted:

New year
Same game
same thread

I think you'll find there are 62,000 new features.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Interesting that the Steam ratings for the game are now mostly negative. Maybe people have finally had enough?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

jyrka posted:

Interesting that the Steam ratings for the game are now mostly negative. Maybe people have finally had enough?

If you count "the game got review-bombed by a bunch of Chinese people who were angry about there being no official Chinese localisation" then sure, maybe.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Dallan Invictus posted:

If you count "the game got review-bombed by a bunch of Chinese people who were angry about there being no official Chinese localisation" then sure, maybe.

All the top reviews are people reasonably moaning about the game though.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
It'll still be Top 10 Steam Played Games all year round, though.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

jyrka posted:

All the top reviews are people reasonably moaning about the game though.

Yes, but if you filter away the 700 (of 1400) reviews that are in Chinese the Steam rating rises to Mixed. And, conversely, if you filter by "all languages", suddenly three quarters of the top reviews are in Chinese.

I'm not pulling a Miles here, there are legit reasons to have had enough. Personally I'm happy with the changes that have been made for 2017 (but I wouldn't have bought now without seeing them in the reveal video and the 20% "thank you for being a sucker all these years" discount), but I recognise they're not revolutionary, they're mostly continuing the trend from 2016 of "reframing stuff that was already in the game into things you don't have to drill down twenty screens to actually use". The match engine seems better than 2016 but a) they broke 2016's post-beta so we'll see tomorrow if they pull the same poo poo for 2017, and b) I'm mostly an Instant Result player so I can't say I perfectly understood what people hated about 2016's ME in the first place.

I'm just saying that the extent of people's unhappiness is being exaggerated by a vocal minority that have one specific grievance.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 3, 2016

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Shrug. I really enjoyed the game.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
FM2016 is the least I've ever played an FM game, most of them have 1000 hours racked up, not even sure i made a couple of hundred on FM2016 (and I actually quite enjoyed the pre-release version). I don't really know why FM2017 is getting downrated, so far it's basically FM2016 with a better match engine - although maybe that's why?

The new features don't really add anything to the previous version but the match engine does feel better, not seeing the same looped cross from a full back to the opposite winger on the back post every time and I've managed to get a couple of different formations actually working. Apart from that I guess there's nothing really new, a few UI tweaks and the pretty pointless fake social media thing.

Isn't it the same with all annual sports games though, there's rarely any monumental leaps forward the main draw is playing with new rules/rosters.

Maybe the splitting of FM and FM Touch has had an effect also.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Has the 64-bit increased the speed at all? After a few seasons the game would always start to bog down and I was hoping that wouldn't happen with the 64-bit

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Did the match engine change from the beta to the final release?

Only asking because I remember last year everyone was praising it in the beta, then the release happened, then crosses became op.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yeah it did haha, I didn't get fooled into "beta testing" for them this year, but my mate says the 17.1 prerelease patch changed the match engine for the worse again exactly like last time. It really shows how much contempt they have for feedback.

e: newer steam reviews talk about this as well.

What do they think we're beta testing exactly, the data analysts and social media stuff? They hand out the beta every year with some fake match engine that they change opposite to what people ask for.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 4, 2016

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah it did haha, I didn't get fooled into "beta testing" for them this year, but my mate says the 17.1 prerelease patch changed the match engine for the worse again exactly like last time. It really shows how much contempt they have for feedback.

e: newer steam reviews talk about this as well.

What do they think we're beta testing exactly, the data analysts and social media stuff? They hand out the beta every year with some fake match engine that they change opposite to what people ask for.

Wtf is up with 2016? Between the elections (U.S.), Apple's MBPro, and now FM, I'm about to start lighting candles and sacrificing goats to turn things around.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

Shroud posted:

Did the match engine change from the beta to the final release?

Only asking because I remember last year everyone was praising it in the beta, then the release happened, then crosses became op.

They havent released any patch notes the beta phase. there was a patch a few days ago, but it didn't feel significantly different. Another smaller patch last night but the consensus seemed to be it was localisation files.

It's hard to tell without patch notes though. I'm sure they used to release patch notes even during the pre-release phase

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Do you think even 1% of match engine changes get patch notes? (no)

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I just went 4-4-2 and, despite not having any genuine wingers, have won my last three games 3-0, 4-1, 4-0.
I've signed a couple of wingers 'cos why not if I'm going down this rabbithole.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I dunno what happened but ever since the full release I've been getting destroyed, playing as Wolves and won the Championship. Can't tell if the issue is my step up the Prem or my tactics not working with the new ME

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

eleven extra elephants posted:

I dunno what happened but ever since the full release I've been getting destroyed, playing as Wolves and won the Championship. Can't tell if the issue is my step up the Prem or my tactics not working with the new ME

Its your tactics mate

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
It's... their... tactics, mate?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Had some time to play the demo over the weekend.

I kind of like the new social feed option and there actually seems to be a fair bit of variety to the comments. I have no idea what I'm meant to do with all the new analyst stuff nor understand what changes I'm expected to make based on it, but it all looks nice.

The match engine seems largely the same to me; full backs are still way overpowered so your LB and RB will become your star men, and the majority of goals will be from byline crosses slammed in at the near or far post. I'm also bizarrely seeing a lot of red cards, usually to the opposition for second yellows.

Now wish to update this with: We're now back to there being no more near misses, shots now either sail miles over or scrape the corner flag. Bullshit cheap goals involving inexplicably terrible backpasses are also back with a vengeance. And yes, for all the talk of thousands of new media items the only new one I've seen so far is questions about intentions for trialists, which I will admit is welcome but it seems to be the exact same one every time.

It's weird, overall I'm enjoying the game a lot and the match engine does feel more refined and less ridiculous than last year's but a lot of the annoyances still remain and it's a shame.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 7, 2016

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbuKTk_8tRM

gr8 new match engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Save scummed last night because I lost 1-0 and their goal was a full back back-passing too lightly, the goalkeeper dallying and a striker running uninvited to the ball. Basically gently caress losing because of some cheap match engine glitch.

I know that SI are absolutely insistent that there's no 'scripting' but what else are we supposed to think? I was on a five game unbeaten run and it felt a lot like the game going "no, gently caress you, it's time for you to lose so I'm going to pull some cheap arse gravy and make sure that happens". This has been a problem for as long as I can remember and I'm at a loss as to what else I'm supposed to get from poo poo like this.