Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah I heard she is hard to master but I figured I'd be terrible with anyone I started with so I might as well practice on the hero I want to play! My friend is a diamond class so she has been playing with me and giving me tips on what Tracers are supposed to do and how to be effective with them. Some guy in Quick Play was very upset that a level four was playing with level 200s but whatever it's Quick Play. Are there any good Tracer players I should watch, I think that would be useful! I've been reading and watching videos on how to make the most of her but I figure just watching a good Tracer play a few matches would help loads!

Make sure you try all the heroes, you'll probably be suprised with who you like playing. I thought for sure I was going to main Tracer but most of my early gameplay was as Zarya, who rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

BabyRyoga posted:

Yet, if you look at the entire game collectively, it is overall easier to attack than defend on the majority of maps. I suppose it's best that way due to the way competitive mode works where they probably want both teams to succeed in attacking as much as possible.

It is? There is a natural respawn advantage for the attacker on the first half of each payload phase and point A in double point capture. The opposite is true for the defender on the latter half of each payload phase and point B in double point capture.

You can see that in quick play where even a terrible attacking side can graveyard zerg point A and then poo poo the bed on point B when respawn advantage turns against them.

The defending team takes 5 seconds to run back and regroup on the capture point. Provided they kill something once in a while, the attacking team begins to stretch out into an ult feeding conga line of death.

Payload is a similar story except the objective moves so the defensible terrain around the objective changes (except at the beginning and the end). Still, you have no doubt experienced an attacking blitzkrieg on phase 1 and 2, where everyone on your team is pug-stomping like mad bastards. You get the payload to within 3 meters of the finish line and then you lose to a 7 minute hold on the doorstep of the defending spawn.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, I saw a vid of some pro team on Hanamura where the attacking side did this Mei wall trick jump to get the whole team across the gap to point B but one of them timed his jump wrong and fell to his death. The rest of his team then suicided which I thought was kinda cool because I don't see any of this at my scrub tier level. It makes sense though. Opening on point B 5v6 with respawn and terrain advantage in the other team's favour? Nahhhhhh.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

EmmyOk posted:

Some guy Quick Play was very upset that a level four was playing with level 200s but whatever it's Quick Play.

You can mainly ignore people like this, but I recently played with a pairing where the level 4 Genji absolutely clowned on us the entire game. It was obviously someone who was experienced with the game, so I can understand the complaint to a degree. But again, QP, so who cares. What is even the point of having a dummy account in this game?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Each individual fight (at the final point) favours the defensive team, but the defenders have to win all of them. The attacking team has a disadvantage but if they regroup and roll in again then can get a handful of attempts and they only need to win one.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Ragequit posted:

You can mainly ignore people like this, but I recently played with a pairing where the level 4 Genji absolutely clowned on us the entire game. It was obviously someone who was experienced with the game, so I can understand the complaint to a degree. But again, QP, so who cares. What is even the point of having a dummy account in this game?

With a fresh account you can focus on practicing a certain class in comp without tanking your main account's rank. Or you can smurf and clown on bronze players or something.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

junan_paalla posted:

With a fresh account you can focus on practicing a certain class in comp without tanking your main account's rank. Or you can smurf and clown on bronze players or something.

Or you can use it to play with your scrub friends :v:

Re: tracer tips. Surefour plays a good tracer, some of his highlight vids are tracer games: https://youtu.be/KOkNKWYa97I

That said: "maining" (seriously where did this even come from?) is dumb as poo poo and you should try every hero at least once. Except widowmaker she is garbage.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Foxhound posted:

That said: "maining" (seriously where did this even come from?)

every single video game ever made

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Ruggington posted:

every single video game ever made

I never heard of it before OW. And I play plenty of video games.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Fucktard musicians picking one instrument and getting good at it instead of getting good at every instrument. smh

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Oh, you're a radiologist? Why aren't you an engineer too?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Redundant posted:

People are going to moan about everything, just keep ignoring them.

After 60 hours of Symmetra because I can carry the most useless team in the world with her, I thought the chat would be less of a shitshow when I went back to normal heroes. Welp, it's the exact same drivel, only now it's aimed at people that haven't done much to deserve it.

Want to die playing a drinking game? Take a swig any time there's an argument about medals.

Foxhound posted:

It's thrown around a lot in fighting games and MOBAs where there's a billion guys and only enough hours in the day to get good with a few of them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

strong bird posted:

Oh, you're a radiologist? Why aren't you an engineer too?

Congrats on the dumbest post I've ever read.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Internet Explorer posted:

nahhh it's probably in the top 100 though

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

strong bird posted:

Fucktard musicians picking one instrument and getting good at it instead of getting good at every instrument. smh
A strong (but not smart) bird. It'd be more like getting good at one cord instead of an entire instrument.

Donnerberg posted:

It's thrown around a lot in fighting games and MOBAs where there's a billion guys and only enough hours in the day to get good with a few of them.
IDK about fighting games but I played Dota for 3 years or so and never heard it. I guess it's from LoL where you have to buy heroes (lol@lol) like every other dumb term.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

the concept of having a main has existed as long as there have been multiple selectable characters in video games

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

ask somebody who their main was in super mario bros 2 and they'll probably give you an answer

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Such weak analogies...

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ruggington posted:

ask somebody who their main was in super mario bros 2 and they'll probably give you an answer

I agree that Toad should be in Overwatch if that's what you're saying

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

as a luigi main,

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pharah kind of has the glide thing peach did and that's good enough for me

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Thanks for all the advice, friends. I am definitely planning on giving loads of characters a whirl and trying to get comfortable with at least one of each type! For the start though when I knew so little about PC gaming and team shooters in general I thought it'd be best to focus on learning one person.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
to be clear, nobody mained mario, right?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Only because he wasn't in the meta

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mario is the soldier 76 of smb2

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Poopy Palpy posted:

I have played this game for 30 hours and have no idea what the flanking routes are because if I ever stray from the blue arrow I end up stuck in some bullshit room that serves no purpose.

It's pretty weird. Sometimes there's at least a healthpack or something for your troubles but a lot of levels have these lovingly crafted rooms that no one in the history of the game has ever seen

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you either play luigi for jump height, toad for run+lift speed, or peach if you're new to platformers and want floats to not gently caress up jumps. mario seriously needs a buff, come on blizz

Foxhound posted:

sounds like you've never played a fighting game and barely played multiplayer games with characters/classes tbh, it's everywhere

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Cumtaster posted:

It's pretty weird. Sometimes there's at least a healthpack or something for your troubles but a lot of levels have these lovingly crafted rooms that no one in the history of the game has ever seen

seriously. there are rooms and details i never even notice when playing until i watch a stream and the casters focus on that stuff before the match starts. the polish on this game is really second-to-none for the most part.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

EmmyOk posted:

Thanks for all the advice, friends. I am definitely planning on giving loads of characters a whirl and trying to get comfortable with at least one of each type! For the start though when I knew so little about PC gaming and team shooters in general I thought it'd be best to focus on learning one person.

This really helped me with Tracer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDgYWxMHYo4

Mind, I'm still bad at her, but that's because I'm terrible at the game. :v:

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I mained Luigi for a long time, but switched to Princess for better control.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

you should play junkrat! :brrring:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kerrrrrrr posted:

you should play junkrat! :brrring:

I'm definitely excited to play as many people as possible! I tried Widowmaker for two games when I got home from uni before work and it was a lot of fun. I'm going to have to practice my shooting a lot!

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I need to tape a scope overlay or something on my screen. When I play Widow I headshot people left and right, but as McCree I can't do it for poo poo despite it being the same mechanic. So, it must be the scope overlay.

Seriously though, why don't sniping skills translate into McCree headshots?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thoughtless posted:

I need to tape a scope overlay or something on my screen. When I play Widow I headshot people left and right, but as McCree I can't do it for poo poo despite it being the same mechanic. So, it must be the scope overlay.

Because you're shooting from the hip and not the shoulder? :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Donnerberg posted:

it's dumb in MOBAs too, fighting games and actual RTS are the only genres where characters/sides are complex enough for it to make sense

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Thoughtless posted:

Different sensitivities

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's dumb in MOBAs too, fighting games and actual RTS are the only genres where characters/sides are complex enough for it to make sense

It's not dumb in league, but that's mainly because of the cost associated with actually owning every champion.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
junkrat has a differet hello animiation if you're holding the detonator

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

verbal enema posted:

junkrat has a differet the best hello animiation if you're holding the detonator

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

what's gold? 2kSR? I just hit my highest SR of the season last night. There's something to be said for trying to headshot with non-hitscan characters since that is literally the only thing I changed about my play. Gained 700 SR in the past 2 weeks