Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

RCarr posted:

I still hate LeBron, but god drat is he good at basketball.

What is the rule for goal tending when the ball is above the cylinder but not at the apex of the arc yet?
I thought the same thing. That really seemed like blocking a ball above the cylinder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

RCarr posted:

I still hate LeBron, but god drat is he good at basketball.

What is the rule for goal tending when the ball is above the cylinder but not at the apex of the arc yet?

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_11.html?nav=ArticleList

You cannot touch the ball in the cylinder at all, but the ref has to consider it a chance to score. The angle of a ball being above the cylinder, not moving down, and still having a chance to score seems pretty small.

ElPedro
Apr 22, 2008

straight up brolic posted:

where are you from in Denmark? I've been noticing that the game is getting much more popular in Scandinavia/my friends are playing a lot more often. Would be cool to have some Nordic players in the league in 20 years.

It definately has. One of our big national TV networks bought the rights to show NBA games, which has helped (previously it was broadcast on a smaller channel/network). The local teams are getting more popular too, but the level they play at is.. well.. not good. Would love a Danish player in the NBA.

I'm from Sjælland (Sealand) more specific a town called Næstved. Sorry about the Danish characters :)

And thanks Dejan, will check the link. Man the new NBA.com design is horrible, feels like a huge tablet when browsing on my desktop.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Lockback posted:

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_11.html?nav=ArticleList

You cannot touch the ball in the cylinder at all, but the ref has to consider it a chance to score. The angle of a ball being above the cylinder, not moving down, and still having a chance to score seems pretty small.

LeBron blocked a finger roll from the front of the rim that was probably going in last night. Seemed like it should have definitely been a goaltend.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Steph - washed
Klay - washed
KD - permawashed, preborn washed, has the genetic memories of a thousand washed dudes in his bloodline (but was good last night)
Pau - washed
LMA - washed
D. Rose - Not Back

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

superstars like lebron get calls or nocalls in their favor routinely.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

RCarr posted:

LeBron blocked a finger roll from the front of the rim that was probably going in last night. Seemed like it should have definitely been a goaltend.

On the other hand finger rolls are for softboys

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

https://theringer.com/tom-thibodeau-minnesota-timberwolves-nba-preview-feature-30fbb1ab7f95#.4y5p1wd6x

I like thibs and this is a good article about him

I'm so happy basketball is back, team

SO HAPPY

waking up to highlights on espn of the three games last night was so nice and refreshing

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I guess one of the more surprising things for me last night was how loving bad Iguodala looked. I mean holy poo poo he was trash all game. Livingston was quiet as well.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

where are you from in Denmark? I've been noticing that the game is getting much more popular in Scandinavia/my friends are playing a lot more often. Would be cool to have some Nordic players in the league in 20 years.

Is Jonas Jerebko not enough for you?

Props Department
Jul 10, 2007

creamed corn & confucius

Declan MacManus posted:

On the other hand finger rolls are for softboys

I won't abide any Robyn Hitchcock slander in the N/V thread this year. Please enjoy this song about Kevin Love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDyR2Yq0cIg

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
what do you guys think about the warriors pulling a Manu and dedicating one of their 4 stars to the 2nd unit, developing a dominating consistency with them and exploding off the bench? as it stands now they just have too much offensive talent up front to use effectively. i know they're going the "2 stars always on the floor" route, but i feel like that will always been relatively inconsistent due to being unable to develop chemistry with specific units.

the biggest problem with the "star off the bench" plan is that you need someone who is explosive to successfully pull it off. klay's defense would be missed too much and i don't think he can create well enough. green's success is as a facilitator, not an explosive star. and KD and Steph are too valuable to bring off the bench.

if i had a robot team with those players, i'd bring Steph off the bench. he's offensively explosive enough, can create his own shot, and would feast on 2nd units. bringing KD off the bench would probably work too, though.

not that it'll ever happen, but what do you guys think?

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
N: Warriors lose to the spurs at home. V: Nothing to see here, business as usual whenever the spurs play us at home

I'm more interested right now in seeing what Kerr does with his rotations. Putting Ian Clark in that early in the game was not a recipe for success

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Of the four, I guess Klay would be the one most easily moved to the bench but KD would be the best fit there. They didn't have the three falling and rebounding is going to be a struggle all year long so I assume they'll focus on that moreso than lineup tweaks.

Then again Steph Curry is just the rich man's Crawford so

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

ElPedro posted:

It definately has. One of our big national TV networks bought the rights to show NBA games, which has helped (previously it was broadcast on a smaller channel/network). The local teams are getting more popular too, but the level they play at is.. well.. not good. Would love a Danish player in the NBA.

I'm from Sjælland (Sealand) more specific a town called Næstved. Sorry about the Danish characters :)

And thanks Dejan, will check the link. Man the new NBA.com design is horrible, feels like a huge tablet when browsing on my desktop.

This post led me to discover that Miles Simon is half Norwegian.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I mean I figured GS interior defense was going to struggle a bit this year but that was pathetic. LeBron is going to eat them alive in the paint.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Redgrendel2001 posted:

This post led me to discover that Miles Simon is half Norwegian.
Jerebko is hf
Half Swedish half Russian America n

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Jerebko is hf

Jeff Taylor is Swedish iirc.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

what is a funnier prospect: golden state has an awful season, misses the playoffs, or golden state has a record breaking season and loses to lebron in the finals again, or both KD and SC tear their ACLs in a horrible mid court collision (this one would be sad :()

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

GZA Genius posted:

N: Warriors lose to the spurs at home. V: Nothing to see here, business as usual whenever the spurs play us at home

I'm more interested right now in seeing what Kerr does with his rotations. Putting Ian Clark in that early in the game was not a recipe for success
Leander Barbosa was a ridiculously good fit for them. McCaw looks like he'll be more useful than Clark.

David West is not a good fit for this team and probably not that good in general.

Pachulia was in mid-season form (not the first half where he pretends to be good)

Javale might actually be their best traditional big from a fit standpoint but he got baptized last night and will almost certainly get injured.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

what is a funnier prospect: golden state has an awful season, misses the playoffs, or golden state has a record breaking season and loses to lebron in the finals again, or both KD and SC tear their ACLs in a horrible mid court collision (this one would be sad :()

Golden State losing to okc in the playoffs

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I don't get people's fascination with moving players to the bench. IMO it only makes sense if you are talking about a 1 way offensive player like Kanter or Monta that you most likely wouldn't want out there to close games.

With any other above average starter the coach should be able to figure it out, and with players like KD or Steph it's really easy to figure out a rotation that works.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Will be awesome to see Russ blow another game 7.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
If I was JaVale and I got dunked on in my first game after a long time I would just say well this isn't fun anymore and just collect my paychecks

ElPedro
Apr 22, 2008

Dejan Bimble posted:

Jerebko is hf

I actually think that our friend mr. Birdman is half Danish

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Today the rookie of the year debuts. That's right domantas sabonis is going to rock your world

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

RCarr posted:

I am perfectly content if the refs consider the situation "Lebron breathing down your neck and you try a drat finger roll???" to be a situation in which the ball was not going into the basket.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Warriors getting blown out made me so loving ready for this season. I can't wait for them to win 60 games, come in 2nd in the conference and be lambasted by literally everyone as a complete failure.

Also for KD to be shook af and leave in free agency

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Finger rolls should be goaltendable so you have to do the shot in office basketball where you loft it way over the guy standing over the basket

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Panzeh posted:

Will be awesome to see Russ blow another game 7.

please dont be rude to that nice boy

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

The Warriors getting blown out made me so loving ready for this season. I can't wait for them to win 60 games, come in 2nd in the conference and be lambasted by literally everyone as a complete failure.

Also for KD to be shook af and leave in free agency

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Really the most telling thing about the Warriors is how loving garbage their big rotation is. They have Draymond, who is good. Zaza was complete garbage and you never know who you're getting every night with him.

After that you have West, who is washed up, Varajao, who is washed up, and McGee, who is an idiot and also is bad and will get hurt.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

Really the most telling thing about the Warriors is how loving garbage their big rotation is. They have Draymond, who is good. Zaza was complete garbage and you never know who you're getting every night with him.

After that you have West, who is washed up, Varajao, who is washed up, and McGee, who is an idiot and also is bad and will get hurt.

nope, draymond is gonna get found out and turn into a pumpkin and also kick too many dicks and get thrown out the league

gently caress that dude

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

the warriors are literally saying that losing this game is good because it's a "refreshing slap in the face" as though losing in the finals when you were up 3-1 and then getting poo poo on by anyone with a pulse all summer wasn't enough of a "slap in the face". Just say you sucked and move on you idiots.

remember when they spent all of last offseason getting mad about being called lucky/one-off champs

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

The funniest outcome would be Golden State gets knocked out of the first round by 8th seed Mavs in an epic reversal of fortune of 10 years ago.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Lockback, just looping back to earlier: Kevin Durant had 0 contested rebounds last night. Only pulled down 1.5 a game last season. He's not a good rebounder.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

sigseven posted:

The funniest outcome would be Golden State gets knocked out of the first round by 8th seed Mavs in an epic reversal of fortune of 10 years ago.

Agreed.

Also GS is on pace for an 0-82 season, better start benching superstars

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Tonight starts the All Star Steven Adams tour. I'm excited. #ThunderUp

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

wandler20 posted:

Tonight starts the All Star Steven Adams tour. I'm excited. #ThunderUp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Important Andrew Wiggins Hair Update (he's on the right)

• Locked thread