Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Hakkesshu posted:

Compared to this boring terrible slog, sure

I meant a step up from ds2's base areas. I don't have this dlc yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I kind of miss Chester's set from DS1, it looked unique and completely out of place and then they release Bloodborne and for some reason you start to wonder if they already had BB's art already planned when they released Artorias of the Abyss DLC. I have a char in DS1 trying to be a hunter, with a pyro glove and a light crossbow on the left hand and a blacksmith giant hammer on main hand. It's a fun char to invade in blighttown and chase down people by the swamp.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wait, Yuria has extra dialogue for this dlc? What does she say? Do any other npcs?

quote:

I kind of miss Chester's set from DS1, it looked unique and completely out of place and then they release Bloodborne and for some reason you start to wonder if they already had BB's art already planned when they released Artorias of the Abyss DLC. I have a char in DS1 trying to be a hunter, with a pyro glove and a light crossbow on the left hand and a blacksmith giant hammer on main hand. It's a fun char to invade in blighttown and chase down people by the swamp.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Chester was a hint of Bloodbornes to come.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 26, 2016

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

RBA Starblade posted:

Wait, Yuria has extra dialogue for this dlc? What does she say? Do any other npcs?

You have to be on track for the Lord of Hollows ending in the base game to get it. Friede gets some dialog changes and talk to Yuria after you've killed a certain dlc boss

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Chester's hat is basically the silver mask, yeah? I don't remember the rest of the armor.
I do miss the ds1 version of the witch set.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

y'know, now that I think about it the story boss kinda reminds me of maria from bloodborne. she has the scythe and invisibility that priscilla had, but the way she fights (and how easy it is to stagger her) are very reminiscent of maria to me. then you get to phase 2 and it's like phase 2 laurence from the bloodborne dlc joins in for a while until phase 3, where it's just phase 3 of maria again

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think it's short so much as just extremely uninspired and lacking in variety. Like remember Sunken King where you had to trek your way through a underground aztecan city being overseen by Sinh and then descend into a giant pyramid filled with traps and rituals you had to disrupt and poo poo? And it had actual unique environmental mechanics as well as encounters that were blended into puzzles and weird poo poo like the healing trees and Jester Thomas.

This DLC is just like... here's some loving snow and what looks like the same lovely ruins and ramshackle huts we've seen a million times before. It doesn't even look that great, especially when you descend into the depths. This is by far the laziest effort by FROM yet in my opinion.

Dark Souls 2 DLC was amazing and it's disappointing that they didn't keep that level of quality up.

Anyway my new character got the moonlight greatsword finally, and is its special attack just a magical thrust? No anime lasers this time around?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Paracelsus posted:

The DLC was a bit all over the place when it comes to difficulty. With a level 82 character I didn't die very much, but there were a few points that required cheesing finding novel solutions, like separating the crow assassin from his knightly colleague by opening up the door and going outside where the knight was too big to follow.

Haha trust me he can definitely follow you out the door and gently caress you up with his buddy in the graveyard.

The only thing I cheesed in the DLC was the second wolf fight using the tower. gently caress the wolf fights.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

So it looks like buying this DLC is leaning towards not worth it in most opinions if I don't really care about new weapons and PVP?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

oldpainless posted:

So it looks like buying this DLC is leaning towards not worth it in most opinions if I don't really care about new weapons and PVP?

It's smaller than previous DLC, but it's still one huge really well-designed level with freaky birdmen, and both bosses are amazing, top tier for the entire series IMO

Setting isn't that terribly interesting, but eeeeeeh

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the dlc area's pretty good, if you liked ds3 then you'll still like the dlc. it's about on par with the better areas in the main game, tho it is a little smaller than previous souls dlcs have been

you could probably wait and buy the season pass when the next dlc is released if you aren't dying for more dark souls tho

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nuebot posted:

Dark Souls 2 DLC was amazing and it's disappointing that they didn't keep that level of quality up.

Anyway my new character got the moonlight greatsword finally, and is its special attack just a magical thrust? No anime lasers this time around?

It has two attacks, a magic thrust and the magic shockwave. I forget which button does which.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RBA Starblade posted:

It has two attacks, a magic thrust and the magic shockwave. I forget which button does which.

I'm two-handing it right now and L2 just gets me a thrust, I'll have to mess with it more next time I play.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can only shoot the magic beam if you're at full health.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How garbage would the Onyx Blade be for a mostly melee-focused character?

I'm... I'm asking for fashion.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

It's smaller than previous DLC, but it's still one huge really well-designed level with freaky birdmen, and both bosses are amazing, top tier for the entire series IMO

Setting isn't that terribly interesting, but eeeeeeh

Did I miss something cool with that guardian boss. It's just an NPC fight plus the same wolf you've already fought two other times. What makes it even remotely top tier

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i think the biggest whiff with the whole forest of wolves and fat Vikings was that you never actually got to go up onto the ledge where Sif Jr. is chilling out. I figured for sure that whole nautilus shell path up the side of the hill would take you out to his ledge, but nope! you just wind up back where you started, only about 3 feet higher.

also wtf is the point of the collapsing snow bridge after the tower? it drops you to a couple ledges and has a pointless soul, but then you wind up near the second bonfire same as if you had just walked around.

wait the biggest whiff is how the whole zone has cool set-piece events set up and then there's no pay-off after you go through them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah it's really bizarre.

Also if you felt like the DLC didn't have a bunch of content the first time through wait until you play it gain. I just breezed through it a second time after realizing how much holds nothing of interest and that most of the time I spent my first run was in giant group fights that I have no interest in repeating.

e: also what level was this DLC supposed to be played at? I guess when you first get to the church? the mats you find are mostly kinda garbage save for the slab at the end and some of the treasure just seems weird. lots of gems and clumps and coins and homeward bones. loving thanks??

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there are some dev messages near the beginning that mention you should wait until you've beaten lothric castle to go in iirc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah, it supposed to be whatever level you do Lothric Castle at, the messages at the start warn you of that.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

If by most opinions you mean most opinions of people who like to complain about video games on the internet, yes.

It's some of From best level and enemy design. I feel like the lack of a third boss is really messing with people's perception of how long it is, but the arena seems like a pretty good tradeoff there? I hate PVP and the arena is still fun.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
How do you even find the village?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You definitely do need to consider the arena as part of the overall package. Even as someone who is not that much into the pvp I still think its worth it. Biggest problem is it will leave you wanting more.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Which npc hands you a slab? The one at the very start of the dlc area? He isn't saying or doing anything new for me.

Does the guy in the slave knight armor show up again?

The arena is really cool, and I hope they add more levels to it in the future. Just the one is a bummer!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I went in at level 67 as Pyro and the challenge felt good, think you could go in earlier as a pure Str or Dex build. On the other hand I'd definitely wait until 80 at least if I was on my Faith character, I've never done a Sorcerer so can't comment on that. First boss took me like 9 tries because I didn't have as much HP/Stam as I could and I couldn't reliably kill the stupid Valorheart guy before the wolf came and they tag-teamed my rear end because he sometimes dodges the poo poo out of your spells and I didn't have any super strong weapons or anything to kill him the old-fashioned way.

That said I'm leveling a fair bit for the actual final boss, it's noticeably tougher than all the rest of the DLC.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Which npc hands you a slab? The one at the very start of the dlc area? He isn't saying or doing anything new for me.

Does the guy in the slave knight armor show up again?

The arena is really cool, and I hope they add more levels to it in the future. Just the one is a bummer!

I heard they said new dlc will add arena maps

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I heard they said new dlc will add arena maps

You'd think so - there's a level select option that only has the Kiln right now. If they only planned to have the one they probably wouldn't have left that in.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
I had someone invade me in the village and they dropped down into that church/building from the rafters that requires you to open the door from the inside..except I hadn't gone in there, so he was stuck.

After staying stuck in my world and spamming "HELLLOOOOOOO" for 10 minutes I took pity and opened the door, I don't think he knew about the black crystal.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh one thing I forgot to bring up, what's up with Vilhelm's...neck bite? I beat the poo poo out of that guy twice but my only death has come at the expense of a one-hit kill grab he has where it looks like he loving chows down on me and I don't know what the gently caress that is.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

Oh one thing I forgot to bring up, what's up with Vilhelm's...neck bite? I beat the poo poo out of that guy twice but my only death has come at the expense of a one-hit kill grab he has where it looks like he loving chows down on me and I don't know what the gently caress that is.

He has a Dark Hand. You can do this, too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's probably just the dark hand grab move. I've never been hit by it so I'm not positive what it looks like, but I know it has one and vilhelm is using that so...

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

I went in at level 67 as Pyro and the challenge felt good, think you could go in earlier as a pure Str or Dex build. On the other hand I'd definitely wait until 80 at least if I was on my Faith character, I've never done a Sorcerer so can't comment on that. First boss took me like 9 tries because I didn't have as much HP/Stam as I could and I couldn't reliably kill the stupid Valorheart guy before the wolf came and they tag-teamed my rear end because he sometimes dodges the poo poo out of your spells and I didn't have any super strong weapons or anything to kill him the old-fashioned way.

That said I'm leveling a fair bit for the actual final boss, it's noticeably tougher than all the rest of the DLC.

Protip for that boss you can get some extra time before the wolf arrives if you fight Valorheart behind the tower

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'll say one thing for the dlc. Whipping living trees to death with Witch's Locks as it screams is appropriately metal.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rubellavator posted:

Protip for that boss you can get some extra time before the wolf arrives if you fight Valorheart behind the tower

Also hornet ring plus a huge rear end weapon (Pontiff UGS for me) was enough to get him down so fast that I killed him before the wolf could reach me.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Whoa what if you use the Millwood Battle Axe's "run forward and yell" skill it removes any buffs you have on the weapon. That kinda stinks?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Kinda dumbfounded, this was way too easy and I'm not even good at this game. Archers were a bitch, but I beat both bosses on 2nd tries. Way too short.

poo poo sucked compared to any DLC to the other games

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

Whoa what if you use the Millwood Battle Axe's "run forward and yell" skill it removes any buffs you have on the weapon. That kinda stinks?

Same with all Warcry weapons. The damage buff more or less makes up for that.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Im afraid they finally ran out of dark souls :ohdear:

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Man I'm disappointed about all of DS3 while I absolutely loved all of DS2. I'm hella weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just realized why I like the Onyx Sword so much; I spent the vast majority of my time using a Dark Claymore with Dark Weapon applied in DS2. It's basically the same thing with an even better moveset! All I need is dark orb to replace great chaos fire orb and it'll be there.