Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

spotlessd posted:

No, the argument is that 1) by insisting others must vote Democrat you forfeit your right to be a moralizing crybaby (because you're agitating for a war criminal) and 2) that by insisting that voting matters at all you forfeit your right to be a smug condescending know-it-all (by virtue of being factually wrong). And let's just throw in 3) neither of these positions even approaches something resembling leftism so let's just go back to calling people who pull this poo poo "liberals" (since that's exactly what they are).

Every single point here is demonstrably wrong, soooooooooo....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

WampaLord posted:

Obviously while one individual vote matters very little, the act of voting very much matters. Spreading the idea that voting is pointless is pretty lovely.

how does this study square with your "voting matters" viewpoint?
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/princeton-experts-say-us-no-longer-democracy

quote:

Using data drawn from over 1,800 different policy initiatives from 1981 to 2002, the two conclude that rich, well-connected individuals on the political scene now steer the direction of the country, regardless of or even against the will of the majority of voters.

i like to think that we could organize and vote for politicians that will reverse this, but that looks fairly grim for how much votes matter don't you think?

Condiv fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 26, 2016

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx

WampaLord posted:

What war crimes did Hillary Clinton commit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pOFKmk7ytU&t=58s

quote:

Obviously while one individual vote matters very little, the act of voting very much matters. Spreading the idea that voting is pointless is pretty lovely.

Spreading the idea that if you don't vote D the world will end is lovely, factually wrong, rooted fundamentally in contempt for working class politics and slavish devotion to views fashionable among elites, and falsely spreads the idea that a belligerent psychopath's vanity run is somehow inappropriate or ill-suited to the task of managing the American Empire.

Who What Now posted:

Every single point here is demonstrably wrong, soooooooooo....

Well I suggest you get to demonstrating it you big loving baby. You've contributed like six sentences to this entire discussion and none of them even rises to the level of "thought".

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Well I was trying to argue in good faith with you, but if this is your response to an earnest question, then you have nothing of value to say.

"Hillary made every country bad!" - a reasonable opinion.

Condiv posted:

how does this study square with your "voting matters" viewpoint?
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/princeton-experts-say-us-no-longer-democracy

i like to think that we could organize and vote for politicians that will reverse this, but that looks fairly grim for how much votes matter don't you think?

Well, first of all, it's one study. Second of all, even if that poo poo is true, voting matters even more, particularly in primaries. Vote for candidates who won't sell out your goals.

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx

WampaLord posted:

Well I was trying to argue in good faith with you, but if this is your response to an earnest question, then you have nothing of value to say.

Oh come the gently caress off it this instant lmao. This is your version of "good faith":

WampaLord posted:

Explain again why your broken brain thinks that voting for Trump is the more moral option?

Blow me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

spotlessd posted:

Well I suggest you get to demonstrating it you big loving baby. You've contributed like six sentences to this entire discussion and none of them even rises to the level of "thought".

I'll be happy to raise my level of discourse when you post something worthy of it. So chop-chop, get to it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

spotlessd posted:

Oh come the gently caress off it this instant lmao. This is your version of "good faith":

I honestly got that idea from your posts. Maybe you should work on communicating your point better, but your point seems to be "pee pee doo doo Hillary is bad."

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx
Whoops I insulted you, failed to accurately parse even a single sentence in that huge wall of text (that I did not read, tyvm), spent all of 10 words arguing with a point you didn't make and I had the nerve to be wrong anyway. Sorry if you can't handle all this good faith debate and discussion...

Edit:

Who What Now posted:

I'll be happy to raise my level of discourse when you post something worthy of it. So chop-chop, get to it.

Okay but just to be sure this definitely isn't just a massive cop out, right?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

WampaLord posted:

What war crimes did Hillary Clinton commit?
Theres a war on for your mind, and neoliberalism is the genocide of the mind.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

WampaLord posted:

Well, first of all, it's one study. Second of all, even if that poo poo is true, voting matters even more, particularly in primaries. Vote for candidates who won't sell out your goals.

assuming the paper's truth, how would you suggest people do this? corruption is a process, not an immutable state, so you'd need to not only find an non-corrupt candidate, but a candidate who will never be corrupted despite the aforementioned oligarchs almost certainly having a more direct presence in said candidate's life.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Condiv posted:

assuming the paper's truth, how would you suggest people do this? corruption is a process, not a state, so you'd need to not only find an non-corrupt candidate, but an incorruptible candidate.

Vote for people who are willing to take the steps necessary to lessen the influence of money in politics. People who are for campaign finance reform, people who are against things like Citizens United, people who are trying to make systemic changes that will result in a more fair system via the fixing of gerrymandering.

If only there were a candidate talking about these things, perhaps one who has even proposed going as far as getting a constitutional amendment passed to defeat Citizens United...

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Vote for people who are willing to take the steps necessary to lessen the influence of money in politics. People who are for campaign finance reform, people who are against things like Citizens United, people who are trying to make systemic changes that will result in a more fair system via the fixing of gerrymandering.

If only there were a candidate talking about these things, perhaps one who has even proposed going as far as getting a constitutional amendment passed to defeat Citizens United...

She's a war criminal, see this cartoon for evidence.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WampaLord posted:

well, problem is that the study in question says that citizens united was not the catalyst for this situation. so while i hate citizens united and hope it gets overturned by a future scotus, fixing that doesn't fix the problem (again, assuming the study is correct in its findings)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Condiv posted:

well, problem is that the study in question says that citizens united was not the catalyst for this situation. so while i hate citizens united and hope it gets overturned by a future scotus, fixing that doesn't fix the problem (again, assuming the study is correct in its findings)

Yes, fixing one problem will not magically fix all problems. After we fix that one, we get to work on the next one, and so on.

Progress is hard and slow.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What's with this belief in groups of Killary Kkklinton voters going around and threatening to murder people who don't vote for her? Or does "must" mean something different in Marxoteenland?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

SSNeoman posted:

My point is that in the end of the day people realized they were being silly and decided to knock it off and vote rationally. In this case it's for a candidate I liked, but I would say the same thing for people going R.
Sorry, I understand that's what you were trying to convey, what I want to know is why you think anyone should care. The number of people that intend to vote third party goes up and down, that's just true. It's currently polling way higher than it polled in 2012, so it's really unsurprising and uninteresting that we are able to observe some snapback as the election comes closer. Should we expect a post from you anytime the number of people who intend to vote third party changes?

quote:

These people are smarter than the people in this thread.
This could be true, but again I'm not sure why you think anyone cares.

quote:

They also prove that no, you cannot in fact create a movement using your vote.
I don't think anyone's said you can create a movement merely by voting, but even if they did, the number of people voting Johnson and Stein going down by an unspecified amount over an unspecified time span certainly doesn't prove or even provide any sort of evidence for that either way. Like I wasn't even bothering to fight you on the fact that there exists third parties other than Johnson and Stein, for all your tweet says total third party voting could be going up (I don't think that's true, it just demonstrates the tweet you posted is of no substance and no relevance).

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WampaLord posted:

Yes, fixing one problem will not magically fix all problems. After we fix that one, we get to work on the next one, and so on.

Progress is hard and slow.

as i posted, according to the study citizens united isn't the problem at all. it covered the period between ~1980-2002, before citizens united even happened.

another problem is that progress has not worked like that in over 30 years wrt power of the rich over the political process. are you going to say that there was no public will in the past to make polticians more accountable to the general public?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Condiv posted:

as i posted, according to the study citizens united isn't the problem at all. it covered the period between ~1980-2002, before citizens united even happened.

another problem is that progress has not worked like that in over 30 years wrt power of the rich over the political process. are you going to say that there was no public will in the past to make polticians more accountable to the general public?

Boomers are poo poo? This is news?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WampaLord posted:

Boomers are poo poo? This is news?

i don't think the boomers voted for politicians to ignore them. in fact, they yell more than anyone when they're ignored

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

spotlessd posted:

Well this is just obvious disingenuous horseshit. Come on now. Maybe we should sticky the list of Democrats who supported the invasion? "Left-wing minorities" mounted one of the largest anti-war campaigns in the history of the world. That we failed to end the war sooner is a testament to how committed your best friends the Democrats are to U.S.-backed terror and the jaw-dropping stupidity of trusting them to do anything else. Incidentally, I was in St. Paul getting tear gassed when your predecessors were telling everyone how important and historic the Obama presidency was going to be, so kindly don't invoke the anti-war movement as proof that voting matters, if you will.

You are welcome to continue (insanely, wrongly) thinking that voting is important but just admit that the reason you actually do it is to feel better. It's honestly a much more flattering position than because you actually support the party. I'm getting a little tired of history proving my point for me here so instead I invite you to just consider this thread: we didn't even make it two posts before the rhetorical high-fives and cheerleading started up again. There's an awful lot of "good post/so important/we're making history!" going on but a suspicious lack of basic political literacy. You've got a loud, smug Twitter-educated child accusing me of being a Ron Paul supporter (????) high-fiving a poster who presumably has lived through enough elections to accuse me of being a teenager and yet quite suspiciously has not yet managed to lose faith in the democratic process. Both of them are positive that the other candidate is some kind of Pied Piper for idiots and nothing could be more heroic and necessary than opposing his candidacy. Aside from the obvious irony, this is a trendy politics for the cocktail party set and literally nothing else. It's a kind of political hipsterism built on lingo and Wiki pages and social media hot-takes. Come January they will be back on their rear end patiently waiting for all the olds and poors to die so history can get its progress on, accusing people who actually were present at a genuinely historic and pivotal moment in U.S. history of being lazy and stupid because they didn't pointlessly nudge the dial for a contemptible political dynasty running for a contemptible political office of a contemptible nation. Heaven forbid anyone should abstain from this moronic farce.

And you know, I'd say this is mostly just harmless self-indulgence but look how safely this sort of person is able to move between support for Democrats and support for foreign and domestic terror well within the boundaries of "progressive" thought. Bernie Sanders funnels populist outrage into support for political elites (shock), Black Lives Matter funnels outcry over police brutality into support for state surveillance, lobbyists and think-tanks funnel support for gay rights into support for Isreal. Look how eminently malleable a "movement" built on vibes and key words and listicles becomes. Look how co-optable it is; how utterly compromised. This is just Reaganism for urbane, upwardly-mobile bourgeois parasites. Their politically ideology is psychologically indistinguishable from brand loyalty and its experienced and communicated in precisely the same fashion: bad decisions, good feels. Hillary Clinton goes from loathsome, cynical elite to brave, gifted crusader by the same process that turns $1.50s worth of sugar water into Coca-Cola. Discerning voters prefer Democrats. Never mind that their total abandonment of an already extremely weak economic platform and enthusiastic support for neoliberal policy is the whole reason we have an incipient fascist insurrection in the first loving place.

Any serious reading of the political world today ought to reveal that the real difference between Democrats and Republicans is that the Republicans actually got to run their candidate this time around. The fact that the Democrats even have to go around begging people to sign this deal with Satan against a candidate as eminently terrible as Donald J. Trump tells you everything you need to know about how important their election actually is, and crucially, what they actually think about the suckers that vote for them. You can't change the outcome of the election but you absolutely can do a much better job of not being a sucker.

Edit: Reminder that there is more than one person in this thread demanding proof that the head of the loving U.S. Department of State is "hawkish". The whole argument from page one has been a just ghastly parade of Leftish swarming out of their narrow ideological crevice to take a wildly hypocritical line on what "smart" people do with their votes. They are not qualified to guess at what smart people do with their own feces and this is not a debate serious people need have.

this is a good post and it's sad that D&D can't engage with this past pithy one liners

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Holy poo poo we got an unironic Metal Gear speech. This thread owns, owns, owns. Please tell me more about how this world and its people "are diseased", how "we are ruled by something greater than ourselves: memes, the DNA of the soul" and how elections are "a big show to appease the masses"

Panzeh posted:

Note that shillary does not want glass steagal to return or for Taft-Hartley to be repealed.

Glass-Steagal is dead and gone. When it was repealed, it was already shaved down to the point of being useless. We got Dodd-Frank now and Hillary promises to expand it if she can. Take a guess which candidate explicitly said "We have to get rid of Dodd-Frank."

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 26, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Condiv posted:

i don't think the boomers voted for politicians to ignore them. in fact, they yell more than anyone when they're ignored

They didn't care about the country being run into the ground because poo poo was going well for them. Millennials as a group have a large (and well founded) distrust of institutions, expect them to be the agents of change within the next decade or two.

NewForumSoftware posted:

this is a good post and it's sad that D&D can't engage with this past pithy one liners

Please elaborate what makes it good.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Please elaborate what makes it good.

quote:

And you know, I'd say this is mostly just harmless self-indulgence but look how safely this sort of person is able to move between support for Democrats and support for foreign and domestic terror well within the boundaries of "progressive" thought. Bernie Sanders funnels populist outrage into support for political elites (shock), Black Lives Matter funnels outcry over police brutality into support for state surveillance, lobbyists and think-tanks funnel support for gay rights into support for Isreal. Look how eminently malleable a "movement" built on vibes and key words and listicles becomes. Look how co-optable it is; how utterly compromised. This is just Reaganism for urbane, upwardly-mobile bourgeois parasites.

Very true, and very sad.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The only way you can't throw your vote away this election is if you vote for Lowtax. Anyone who votes otherwise is a traitor. :colbert:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

Very true, and very sad.

So you have no idea about the goals of the Black Lives Matter movement, huh? Because to say that they "funnels outcry over police brutality into support for state surveillance" is total bullshit.

Cop body cams are not "state surveillance" and the movement has many other goals they're trying to accomplish as well.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

So you have no idea about the goals of the Black Lives Matter movement, huh? Because to say that they "funnels outcry over police brutality into support for state surveillance" is total bullshit.

Cop body cams are not "state surveillance" and the movement has many other goals they're trying to accomplish as well.

I think you missed the point of the post if you think BLM is the one doing the funneling.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WampaLord posted:

They didn't care about the country being run into the ground because poo poo was going well for them. Millennials as a group have a large (and well founded) distrust of institutions, expect them to be the agents of change within the next decade or two.

it's hard to claim they didn't care about the country being run into the ground when the politicians in power cared very little about the opinions of the populace. what if boomers did as you suggested, voted for the politicians they thought would address their concerns, only to be wrong over and over again? what's gonna stop us millennials from making the same mistakes and effecting no change?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

I think you missed the point of the post if you think BLM is the one doing the funneling.

quote:

Bernie Sanders funnels populist outrage into support for political elites (shock), Black Lives Matter funnels outcry over police brutality into support for state surveillance, lobbyists and think-tanks funnel support for gay rights into support for Isreal.

Do nouns and verbs work differently in your world?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

NewForumSoftware posted:

Very true, and very sad.

It's actually not true at all, and in fact it's all unsubstantiated nonsense with not even the barest effort made to back any of it up with facts. The reason that nobody responded to it beyond pithy one-liners is that there isn't anything of substance actually there to respond to in the first place. You or spot can come back with some links like big kids and try again, but until then you get the responses you deserve.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NewForumSoftware posted:

Very true, and very sad.

Huh, never seen a straight leftist denigrate gays for not being radical enough before. Blow me, you stupid-rear end breeder gently caress.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Condiv posted:

it's hard to claim they didn't care about the country being run into the ground when the politicians in power cared very little about the opinions of the populace. what if boomers did as you suggested, voted for the politicians they thought would address their concerns, only to be wrong over and over again? what's gonna stop us millennials from making the same mistakes and effecting no change?

I dunno man. I can't tell the future. I do know that my generation seems much more concerned about things like money in politics, the effects of gerrymandering, etc. Will this concern pay off with change? Who can say?

But I'm hopeful. :shobon:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SSNeoman posted:

Holy poo poo we got an unironic Metal Gear speech. This thread owns, owns, owns. Please tell me more about how this world and its people "are diseased", how "we are ruled by something greater than ourselves: memes, the DNA of the soul" and how elections are "a big show to appease the masses"

Unfortunately, he is right on most points of substance, and that your reaction to someone making an impassioned statement you disagree with is "it's just like one of my Japanese video games!" kinda plays right into his statement right here.

quote:

Their politically ideology is psychologically indistinguishable from brand loyalty and its experienced and communicated in precisely the same fashion: bad decisions, good feels. Hillary Clinton goes from loathsome, cynical elite to brave, gifted crusader by the same process that turns $1.50s worth of sugar water into Coca-Cola. Discerning voters prefer Democrats.

This is about more than the branding exercises you have confused with an identity, my dude.

I disagree with his interpretation- your vote matters very little, but it matters some, at least on a local level, and granted the opportunity to advance your agenda even in such a minute way I find it hard to justify throwing it away for the sake of ennui. But on the facts, he is unfortunately not lying to you.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Do nouns and verbs work differently in your world?

Sorry I meant they aren't responsible for the ones changing the direction of the movement. Also, fwiw I believe the "state surveillance" he's talking about is stuff like this:

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-baltimore-secret-surveillance/

Brainiac Five posted:

Huh, never seen a straight leftist denigrate gays for not being radical enough before. Blow me, you stupid-rear end breeder gently caress.

You first? Maybe try not getting so angry at internet posts you belligerent child.

Who What Now posted:

It's actually not true at all, and in fact it's all unsubstantiated nonsense with not even the barest effort made to back any of it up with facts. The reason that nobody responded to it beyond pithy one-liners is that there isn't anything of substance actually there to respond to in the first place. You or spot can come back with some links like big kids and try again, but until then you get the responses you deserve.

Go team blue

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 26, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Can you submit a picture of yourself? I wanna make a hot new meme, I'm thinking it'll be called "Hypocrite Harriette".

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WampaLord posted:

I dunno man. I can't tell the future. I do know that my generation seems much more concerned about things like money in politics, the effects of gerrymandering, etc. Will this concern pay off with change? Who can say?

But I'm hopeful. :shobon:

i'm hopeful too, but i also worry :smith:

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

Can you submit a picture of yourself? I wanna make a hot new meme, I'm thinking it'll be called "Hypocrite Harriette".

Please don't misgender me.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NewForumSoftware posted:

You first? Maybe try not getting so angry at internet posts you belligerent child.

I see you've never had sex, since you think it's possible to suck your own dick without some serious anatomical alterations. Anyways, gays and lesbians and bis don't exist for the purpose of serving straights in hope of getting rewards doled out.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Brainiac Five posted:

I see you've never had sex, since you think it's possible to suck your own dick without some serious anatomical alterations. Anyways, gays and lesbians and bis don't exist for the purpose of serving straights in hope of getting rewards doled out.

What makes you so goddamn sure I'm straight exactly you loving rear end in a top hat? What is wrong with you people?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NewForumSoftware posted:

What makes you so goddamn sure I'm straight exactly you loving rear end in a top hat? What is wrong with you people?

This post just confirmed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Brainiac Five posted:

This post just confirmed it.

Since I've already been called a misogynist and "white straight male" in this thread multiple times, already told you I'm not, and now you're going to force me to out myself if I want to "prove" it to the internet? Or post a picture? Truly a progressive bunch we have here.

For having the gall to want a discussion of whether it's more moral to vote third party or Democrat in places the Democrats are already going to win I'm the devil incarnate.

• Locked thread