Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

working on my reversi Monte Carlo thing

we have a tree containing a series of game states. the current state which the computer wants to find the next move from is the parent node. it has one child for each valid move from the current state that we have simulated.

since we don't know how many children a parent will have, a node has one explicit child pointer which is null if there are no valid moves from this game state. this means the simulation is over and we bubble up the winner to refine our search

each child node contains a pointer to a sibling node. so there's a linked list of nodes corresponding to each possible move from this game state at the same depth in the tree. since we need to bubble results back up eventually, the siblings do contain a reference to their parent node.

what's this data structure called? N-something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

A rose tree?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it's amazing that Mac has backwards compat issues when they completely broke binary compat in what, 2007? like it's been maybe a decade, how can backwards compat issues even be a thing yet

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

i dont know about no data structures but maybe you are thinking of Negamax or some other kind of Alpha-Beta pruning

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Bloody posted:

it's amazing that Mac has backwards compat issues when they completely broke binary compat in what, 2007? like it's been maybe a decade, how can backwards compat issues even be a thing yet

courage

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lomarf

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
my org-mode ast generator works, now I just need to go the other direction

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I need documentation on Epic's scheduling api.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
jfc the state of gridviews is atrocious. I'm going to need a decent gridview for ASP.NET MVC that supports clicking headers for sort, pagination, the standard stuff, and I'm realizing that I either implement that all myself via Razor and just refresh the page, or use some lovely js grid. I have yet to see a js grid that isn't complete and utter bullshit.

Is there something people have used for ASP.NET MVC that isn't awful?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

does a library have more than one release? was the source code at all different between those releases? congratulations, it has compatibility issues

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

jfc the state of gridviews is atrocious. I'm going to need a decent gridview for ASP.NET MVC that supports clicking headers for sort, pagination, the standard stuff, and I'm realizing that I either implement that all myself via Razor and just refresh the page, or use some lovely js grid. I have yet to see a js grid that isn't complete and utter bullshit.

Is there something people have used for ASP.NET MVC that isn't awful?

Telerik's web junk has been suiting my needs pretty well over here, but it's not free. thier site is confusing, you would want the UI for ASP.NET MVC framework

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

I need documentation on Epic's scheduling api.

do you have an epic customer you're working with? anything that's not on open.epic.com you'll probably need to ask for through your customer and sign an nda. epic's being pretty stingy ever since KP's india-based third party consultants stole a bunch of documentation and used it to try to reverse engineer their own product from it.

i had an iffy mole cut off my eyelid this morning and now i'm off to take my javascript exam again. what a day.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i'm off to take my javascript exam

i hope it doesn't have a true/false section

MSPain fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 26, 2016

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

MSPain posted:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MSPain posted:

quote:

Conventions, Data Types and Expressions: Scored 8 out of 15 points
You lost points on questions that ask you to:
* List the JavaScript operators and the order they execute in within an expression.
* Describe the difference between initializing a vairable <their typo,lol> without declaring it and declaring a variable without initializing it.
* List the built in data types of JavaScript. Next, describe the difference between weak and strong typing and specify which one JavaScript uses.
* Explain how one JavaScript type can be converted to another.
* Explain what happens when a string and number are compared using a relational operator.

this is the entirety of what caused me to fail last time. ive been writing down the list of type conversions over and over trying to make it work in my head. they do not ask about things like number("1"). instead the question is always "1"-0 or "1"+"3". always the gotcha poo poo.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

my sysadmin is quoted as saying backups are not that important :ohdear:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

this is the entirety of what caused me to fail last time. ive been writing down the list of type conversions over and over trying to make it work in my head. they do not ask about things like number("1"). instead the question is always "1"-0 or "1"+"3". always the gotcha poo poo.

I'm not sure I ever want javascripts implicit conversion madness to make sense (to me). I probably have better use for my neurons.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

leper khan posted:

I'm not sure I ever want javascripts implicit conversion madness to make sense (to me). I probably have better use for my neurons.

i understand that they want us to know the poo poo so that it doesn't bite us in the rear end later. that's good. the bad part is that knowing the conversions by heart is a requirement to be permitted to develop in our new client, making it a roadblock to doing your job properly.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

what are people using to run automated tests against their apis? i can whip something up with xunit and an http client, but is there a better way?

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

if by xunit you mean the .net thing, asp.net core has a really nice "TestHost" which gives you a special client that connects to a local instance for integration tests. for more isolated testing, just instantiate controllers/services with mocked dependencies or whatever and, like, call methods on them

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

yeah i meant xunit.net, whoops.

i'm hoping for something that can hit live apis on our qa box since right now the code isn't testable whatsoever and our qa team tests everything manually. be nice to get at least some end to end tests in place while we fix up the code.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

jony neuemonic posted:

yeah i meant xunit.net, whoops.

i'm hoping for something that can hit live apis on our qa box since right now the code isn't testable whatsoever and our qa team tests everything manually. be nice to get at least some end to end tests in place while we fix up the code.

We just had tests that did HttpWebRequest on the API and verified 200 OK or whatever. If you want to verify content then do that, too. No need to overengineer it, imo.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

MSPain posted:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

We just had tests that did HttpWebRequest on the API and verified 200 OK or whatever. If you want to verify content then do that, too. No need to overengineer it, imo.

yeah okay, that's where i was leaning anyway. thanks thread!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

HoboMan posted:

my sysadmin is quoted as saying backups are not that important :ohdear:

we dont even have backups :q:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

i had an iffy mole cut off my eyelid this morning

the other reading of this is better

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

do you have an epic customer you're working with? anything that's not on open.epic.com you'll probably need to ask for through your customer and sign an nda. epic's being pretty stingy ever since KP's india-based third party consultants stole a bunch of documentation and used it to try to reverse engineer their own product from it.

i had an iffy mole cut off my eyelid this morning and now i'm off to take my javascript exam again. what a day.

is the FHIR stuff gonna be around to stay? I was hoping to avoid having to get anyone at epic involved for the reasons you mentioned. I was thinking I'd work w/ the tech contact at this org and see what we can cobble together without epics help first. Its mostly gonna be find doctor's schedule, check doctor's schedule, put appointment in drs schedule. If we get access to the APIs from the client, do we need to talk about it with epic at all? How much ownership over integration belongs to the customer vs epic?

Also, how likely is it that I'm gonna find differences in the apis between versions of epic?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

yeah that would be my suggestion. you could also test the apicontrollers w/ normal unit tests, but I don't think that would include the full request pipeline

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

fart simpson posted:

we dont even have backups :q:

are you serious? our deployment process is "upload zip to google drive", we only started using source control in 2014, and until five months ago our servers resided under a literal leaking toilet pipe, yet we've STILL always kept regular backups.

if your managers really give that little of a poo poo, I'm not sure I would even blame you for dropping some ransomware into your network and enjoying an early Christmas bonus

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

how do i sanely provide an HTTPS service on an intranet? the hostname is just my computer name and like i could just use a self-signed cert or something but won't that give big scary warnings to users?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Flat Daddy posted:

someone buy shaggar a js book for yosmas.

why? js books get outdated in like a month

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i did it lads, i passed the test.

Shaggar posted:

is the FHIR stuff gonna be around to stay? I was hoping to avoid having to get anyone at epic involved for the reasons you mentioned. I was thinking I'd work w/ the tech contact at this org and see what we can cobble together without epics help first. Its mostly gonna be find doctor's schedule, check doctor's schedule, put appointment in drs schedule. If we get access to the APIs from the client, do we need to talk about it with epic at all?

as far as i know, we are pushing the FHIR interfaces as the "future of interoperability" and i dont think they're going away. they are pretty likely to change as that standard continues to coalesce however.

im fairly certain there's web services for all the stuff you mention, but im a bad person to ask about external apis because the only things my app interfaces with are proprietary-as-gently caress things like Optum and 3M PPS pricers.

quote:

How much ownership over integration belongs to the customer vs epic?

in theory the customer owns everything they're licensed for and owns the configuration of that stuff, but in reality unless your customer is kaiser permanente the tech guy you're working with will be some poor helpdesk scrub who got handed a bunch of responsibilities and calls us before any major decision he has to make. strong technical training at our customers is something we have been trying to push really hard, but as you probably realize training for it people is general an expense its pretty hard to get the c-suite to sign onto.

in all likelihood, if you ask your customer's it guy about it he will probably immediately hand you to his epic contact to set up a conference call between all of you and you'll get NDA'd anyway. the good news is, as long as you have an active customer who is also an epic community member, you can get credentialed as a vendor and gain access to our documentation portal through them. access is contingent only on good behavior (e.g. don't store our poo poo on an unfirewalled or public-facing server, don't user our poo poo to try to reverse engineer our products, etc).

quote:

Also, how likely is it that I'm gonna find differences in the apis between versions of epic?

the official rule is that if you're going to change a web service's behavior you should create a new one and deprecate the old one, so you should generally not have an api suddenly start behaving differently underneath you. we generally allow a 2-release (3ish year) backward compatibility window before we delete deprecated code.

that said, there's always exceptions and if something was substantially broken or non-compliant enough we may choose to break the api completely immediately to force customers to move to the new api. this is generally done for things that would lead to patient safety issues or legal noncompliance if the customer does nothing. for example, the api that let health plans bill differently based on sex was completely deleted when that provision of ppaca went into effect and customers were provided with a tool to update any configuration that used that feature.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
js is so bad.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Bloody posted:

how do i sanely provide an HTTPS service on an intranet? the hostname is just my computer name and like i could just use a self-signed cert or something but won't that give big scary warnings to users?

could get a letsencrypt cert, or you could create a self-signed ca, sign your cert, distribute your ca

depends a lot on the audience and the why and stuff

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

i did it lads, i passed the test.

as far as i know, we are pushing the FHIR interfaces as the "future of interoperability" and i dont think they're going away. they are pretty likely to change as that standard continues to coalesce however.

im fairly certain there's web services for all the stuff you mention, but im a bad person to ask about external apis because the only things my app interfaces with are proprietary-as-gently caress things like Optum and 3M PPS pricers.

in theory the customer owns everything they're licensed for and owns the configuration of that stuff, but in reality unless your customer is kaiser permanente the tech guy you're working with will be some poor helpdesk scrub who got handed a bunch of responsibilities and calls us before any major decision he has to make. strong technical training at our customers is something we have been trying to push really hard, but as you probably realize training for it people is general an expense its pretty hard to get the c-suite to sign onto.

in all likelihood, if you ask your customer's it guy about it he will probably immediately hand you to his epic contact to set up a conference call between all of you and you'll get NDA'd anyway. the good news is, as long as you have an active customer who is also an epic community member, you can get credentialed as a vendor and gain access to our documentation portal through them. access is contingent only on good behavior (e.g. don't store our poo poo on an unfirewalled or public-facing server, don't user our poo poo to try to reverse engineer our products, etc).

the official rule is that if you're going to change a web service's behavior you should create a new one and deprecate the old one, so you should generally not have an api suddenly start behaving differently underneath you. we generally allow a 2-release (3ish year) backward compatibility window before we delete deprecated code.

that said, there's always exceptions and if something was substantially broken or non-compliant enough we may choose to break the api completely immediately to force customers to move to the new api. this is generally done for things that would lead to patient safety issues or legal noncompliance if the customer does nothing. for example, the api that let health plans bill differently based on sex was completely deleted when that provision of ppaca went into effect and customers were provided with a tool to update any configuration that used that feature.

cool. its not Kaiser pimento but its a medium large size contract. they're business people seem to be on the ball about things, so we'll see what happens when they actually get me the it person. Also, I think everything I need is in the FHIR scheduling apis so i'd probably go with that cause in theory that should work across EMRs (but wont irl)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i very briefly looked at letsencrypt but it looks like they need you to be able to prove you have ownership of the domain but i don't even have a domain nevermind anything visible outside of our corporate network?

distributing a self-signed ca or something is definitely not viable from my current position. if i can get more buy-in from people higher up the ladder or something then there might be some potential to that

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

If its windows, setup a 2 tier CA configuration with an offline root. there are a few gotchas, but if you go thru microsoft's docs on it you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the goal is i've got a browser addon that im distributing and firefox will only let you distribute your own auto-updates over https and i dont want to make users do any work at all to see the benefits

• Locked thread