Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
Here's a dual-wielding Mad Queen's Claw build that could be fun: http://grimcalc.com/build/G4NlsH8

Stick Rend on Curse of Frailty. That by itself should melt the entire screen of trash.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

WarLocke posted:

... I just realized that Wendigo's Mark has no activation requirement (it simply applies to anything you attack?), holy gently caress. I am an idiot, grimcalc just doesn't show the trigger (it's 15% on attack for Wendigo's Mark)

The rest of that constellation seems like a waste if you're not into Vitality damage, but goddamn the thought of dropping instant vitality damage (which life steals to you) on every mob in a 12-meter area is giving me a chubby....

e: Now I'm wondering exactly how devotion procs with cooldowns interact with aoe abilities. If you put, say, Scorpion's Sting (1.5 second cooldown IIRC), on Curse of Frailty and drop that on 20 mobs at once, statistically you would expect to see ~3 mobs get procced on. But does it only proc on one mobs because of the cooldown?

Scorp sting would only proc once every 1.5 secs.

But CoF turns any of the 0 cooldown Devotions into room clearing nightmares.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Dahbadu posted:

But CoF turns any of the 0 cooldown Devotions into room clearing nightmares.

Yeah, I am going to have to find something to put on CoF...

Why does everyone seem to love Behemoth so much? The 30-second cooldown on the proc seems like it would make it less useful (hard to get it to proc when you actually need the healing), whereas Dryad gets down to something like a 3-second cooldown IIRC?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

WarLocke posted:

Why does everyone seem to love Behemoth so much? The 30-second cooldown on the proc seems like it would make it less useful (hard to get it to proc when you actually need the healing), whereas Dryad gets down to something like a 3-second cooldown IIRC?

I actually don't like the chaos devotion proc in the tree very much. I do *love* the acid/poison nova devotion there, though.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Dahbadu posted:

I actually don't like the chaos devotion proc in the tree very much. I do *love* the acid/poison nova devotion there, though.

Can you elaborate, because I am confused as hell about which chaos and poison nova procs you mean.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

WarLocke posted:

Can you elaborate, because I am confused as hell about which chaos and poison nova procs you mean.

Tainted Eruption is the poison nova proc. Abominable Might is the chaos proc I was talking about.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Those are on Abomination. Behemoth is the one for jacking up your health and regen.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Justin_Brett posted:

Those are on Abomination. Behemoth is the one for jacking up your health and regen.

M'bad. Derp.

Behemoth is OK because it gives you extra health and regen.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Ah well, I'll figure devotions out as I go. Right now I've only planned out to grabbing Ghoul, Akeron's Scorpion, and then Manticore.

- Ghoul gives Physique, Spirit, health regen, life steal, and a low-health frenzy/life steal proc (probably put this on Veil of Shadows)
- Scorpion gives a lot of acid/poison damage, +OA, and a poison/DA debuff proc
- Manticore is even more acid/poison damage and a debuff proc that hits both OA and resistances while doing more poison damage

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

WarLocke posted:

It helps a lot with survivability and is easy to get. Tree of Life is similar but better, but it's also harder to get, so...

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Jabarto posted:

It helps a lot with survivability and is easy to get. Tree of Life is similar but better, but it's also harder to get, so...

Yeah but you can get Dryad from basically right at the beginning, and its proc can go off close to ten times as often as Behemoths (I don't know if Behemoth's 30-second cooldown goes down with level, but Dryad's is apparently 3 seconds when maxed out). With a 30-second cooldown it's just as likely to go off hen you don't really need it, while a 3-second cooldown is constantly healing you if you're getting beat on badly.

Also, in other news I just noticed that if you gib a bunch of enemies all at once (like, say, with the Hellhound death explosion) there's a little pitter-patter of gore hitting the ground for the next few seconds. :unsmigghh:

e: Using two-handed hammers on my Witch Hunter now because Shadow Strike does '% weapon damage' :black101:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Dryad maxed out is definitely better, especially with added cooldown reduction.

Regarding building in Behemoth, it gives red and green, so it can fit into some builds while Dryad cannot and vice versa.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Cooldown reduction applies to devotion procs?!?

Also I'm only 21 and poison stacking is already pretty nuts. Not quite nuts enough to be better than sleepwalking with a Hellhound doing all the work, but he's dying more often now that I'm in the warden's cellars so I'll probably be switching to full-time shadow strike/DEE pretty soon.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

WarLocke posted:

Cooldown reduction applies to devotion procs?!?

Yes.

:bernin:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

... Dreeg's Evil Eye with 4 points (and 12 in the AOE modifier) does 1600 damage over 3 seconds at level 21.

:popeye:

I am just Shadow Striking all over the loving place, tossing out CoF and goopy eyeballs with two regen/heal/retaliate/dodge skills and poo poo just melts :getin:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't done a lot of casual play lately but that poison witch hunter looks fun as hell so I'm going to have to try that.

Single-element builds always kind of give me pause because of the insane resists enemies get in Ultimate, but I'm assuming Mark of Dreeg + Vulnerability blows that right up?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The Rokstar posted:

I haven't done a lot of casual play lately but that poison witch hunter looks fun as hell so I'm going to have to try that.

Single-element builds always kind of give me pause because of the insane resists enemies get in Ultimate, but I'm assuming Mark of Dreeg + Vulnerability blows that right up?

Curse of Frailty hits resists (well, the sub skill for poison) and Veil of Shadows also lowers resists, and AFAIK they both stack. You can get probably -80ish between both if maxed? It's pretty nuts.

I leveled to 21 or so by just maxing the Hellhound and letting it run around, so idunno how tedious the very early levels would be leveling it 'straight', but once you have Shadow Strike and the first two modifiers and the transmuter for DEE (the AOE one is key for this build) you're pretty much set.

Use Blood of Dreeg and Pneumatic Burst for buffs/regen/healing, toss CoF on bad dudes, Shadow Strike the biggest one, then drop an AOE poison bomb right at your feet.

I still have to kite champion mobs a little bit, but that's because I only have one point in all my defensive skills, you do need to watch your health bar until you're mad geared I guess.

e: And it's not really even single-element, you'll have some unavoidable piercing and cold/frostburn damage from Nightblade skills, and Shadow Strike has a pretty huge Physical component to it. I really think if you're going for a 'bomber' build rather than a traditional melee one max Shadow Strike + a two-hander would work well (since Shadow Strike does something like +290% weapon damage at rank 16 on top of the piercing/cold damage, so you want the biggest per-hit number instead of looking at DPS).

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 25, 2016

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Using one element isn't an issue, though? Fire, lightning, cold, aether, they all work in Ultimate and poison is no different. Don't know how much resist Ultimate dummies have, but I just tried and the witch hunter was doing 150k per tick. Should be even better with the new gear.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
There's only 2 points per level after level 50? aaah gently caress that screws up my plans.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Deki posted:

There's only 2 points per level after level 50? aaah gently caress that screws up my plans.

Yeah, but you get a couple more each difficulty (from the Hidden Path quests?) so you end up with a total potential of I want to say 234 points.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

They need to hurry up and release the expansion already.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I'm building a pure strain arcanist atm, looking pretty much like this (grim-calc from memory):

http://grimcalc.com/build/dhtEMAN

And I'm just getting smashed the gently caress up by the skellies in the steps of torment. Is there something horribly wrong with my build that I can re-engineer? I'm planning to cross-breed into arcanist for the CoF resist reductions and blood of Dreeg tank boost eventually but I thought I could mash through Veteran with Pannetti and TSS.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

enraged_camel posted:

They need to hurry up and release the expansion already.

There's going to be an expansion? That's good. The fact that the Aetherials are built up from the beginning as this huge threat but you don't really do anything to stop them after Krieg/Crowley die kind of bugged me

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Evfedu posted:

I'm building a pure strain arcanist atm, looking pretty much like this (grim-calc from memory):

And I'm just getting smashed the gently caress up by the skellies in the steps of torment. Is there something horribly wrong with my build that I can re-engineer? I'm planning to cross-breed into arcanist for the CoF resist reductions and blood of Dreeg tank boost eventually but I thought I could mash through Veteran with Pannetti and TSS.

Basically, Arcanist has all the best support skills and all the worst damage skills. Most succesful Arcanist builds run a damage source from a different mastery

Deki posted:

There's going to be an expansion? That's good. The fact that the Aetherials are built up from the beginning as this huge threat but you don't really do anything to stop them after Krieg/Crowley die kind of bugged me

There's an Aetherial Rogue-like dungeon (Bastion of Chaos and Steps of Torment-style) coming in a patch before the expansion.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The Mash posted:

Basically, Arcanist has all the best support skills and all the worst damage skills. Most succesful Arcanist builds run a damage source from a different mastery

I thought Aether Ray-based (Warlock?) and Trozan's Sky Shard builds (Spellbreaker?) were generally good?

How does the scaling on the Scales of Ulcama proc hold up? It reads as if it can go off from any hit on you, not just melee, and has a pretty short cooldown (1.5 seconds). Does some Vitality damage and it looks like the lifesteal eventually goes over 100%. Do you need to already be stacking Vit damage for it to be worth it?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

WarLocke posted:

I thought Aether Ray-based (Warlock?) and Trozan's Sky Shard builds (Spellbreaker?) were generally good?

Aether Ray is bad. In fact pretty much all channel skills are bad for casters, since they require you to stand still, which means dying very quickly.

TSS is really good. High damage to a decently wide area, two damage types (cold and lightning, so you can continue damaging those pesky Cold Ones), plus a 2 second freeze, which means you can kite really easily with it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Oh huh. Some guy just posted recently over on the GD forums about finished the crucible (Gladiator level 150 or whatever) with an Aether Ray-based Warlock so I assumed it was decent.

I've kind of wanted to try it for a while (because I like channeled skills) as maybe a Battlemage to up tankyness but then I noticed that you have to have a caster offhand equipped to use it. :wtf:

It's like, if channeled skills are bad for casters, and you can't compensate but hiding behind a shield with it... How are you supposed to use it?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Aether Ray was recently buffed a bit and has good itemization available to it, so it isn't terrible or anything, but honestly, apart from Vitality damage builds, most caster builds in this game are straight up sub-par to default-attack based builds

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah that's my problem, LMB builds like just Cadencing everything to death bore the hell out of me.

Plus make my fingers cramp.

VVV: You missed the part about finger cramps?

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 26, 2016

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

WarLocke posted:

Yeah that's my problem, LMB builds like just Cadencing everything to death bore the hell out of me.

Plus make my fingers cramp.

you can just hold down the LMB, no click-fest required

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

If I need poison resistance like double quick what components should I be using? At the moment I have every other resistance up between 60-90% but that -25% poison is killing me.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

If I need poison resistance like double quick what components should I be using? At the moment I have every other resistance up between 60-90% but that -25% poison is killing me.

I think anti-venom salve gives 15% - 20% per slot or something. There might be a better one at a higher tier, I'm still missing a ton of recipes etc.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Skinty McEdger posted:

Venomguard Powder?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Just got started on this, playing a rifle druid using that one skill that shoots lightning with a 2h attack. For buffing that should I prefer physical or elemental damage? Also, what should I be looking at with Devotions?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

StashAugustine posted:

Just got started on this, playing a rifle druid using that one skill that shoots lightning with a 2h attack. For buffing that should I prefer physical or elemental damage? Also, what should I be looking at with Devotions?

elemental/lightning damage for sure

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There are probably better lightning-specific devotion choices, but Elemental Storm proccing off Primal Strike has got to be at least as hilarious as it is proccing off Amerasta's Blade Burst.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rifle Shaman is particularly funny because there's a couple legendary rifles that pierce through enemies, which means that Primal Strike goes off on EVERY enemy hit by the shot.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Evfedu posted:

I actually think your issue is survivability. Here is a retool of your build. It will give you a bunch of armor and pierce resistance. Monsters will also constantly miss their attacks. And I planned out your devotions too: http://grimcalc.com/build/qO61bPA

Stick this on your left-click: http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Empowered_Lightning_Nova_(Granted_by_Item)

Devotions:
- Assign Tsunami to Lightning Nova
- Assign Wendigo's Mark to Devouring Swarm
- Assign Reckless Tempest to Wind Devil

It's not a cookie cutter build, but it should wreck and take you all the way through Ultimate without twink gear. Run into a group of monsters and blow them up. Use Devouring Swarm and Wendigo's Mark to keep your life up.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I really want to make a Battlemage that's just tanky as gently caress with Soldier/shield stuff and wrecks bosses with AAR (and I guess OFF/TSS for trash?)

But something tells me that character would be a dumpster fire. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Went through the Blood Grove with my bomberwoman using nothing but flashbangs and my underpowered death ray (11/16, 4/12), kicked Bolvar's rear end, didn't come close to dying.

I agree with Dahbadu regarding a pure Arcanist, though.