Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

straight up brolic posted:

Lockback, just looping back to earlier: Kevin Durant had 0 contested rebounds last night. Only pulled down 1.5 a game last season. He's not a good rebounder.

I always hate the "contested Rebound" stat. Durant has rebounded well his entire career. If you think it's complete luck that he has always gotten around 7-8 boards a game from the 3 position, I am not sure what to say but at some point I think you have to admit he is good at getting in position and not needing to contest his boards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

wandler20 posted:

Tonight starts the All Star Steven Adams tour. I'm excited. #ThunderUp

I'm also excited to see Adams against a player of Embiid's quality

but idk if Joel is gonna be an all-star this year.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I'm also excited to see Adams against a player of Embiid's quality

but idk if Joel is gonna be an all-star this year.

The future of the Center position clash tonight, don't miss it!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

Today the rookie of the year debuts. That's right domantas sabonis is going to rock your world

You are off the Buddy train, I take it? Also, I get to see him and the Nuggets' bigs in person tonight. :cool:

Ratzinc
Aug 14, 2004

MY BALLS ARE THE SIZE OF GRAPEFRUITS
Good to see the cavs put on a show during that blowout. Noah looks done out there, via the EYE TEST and stats. Derrick Rose still can't make layups at a consistent basis even though he's getting to the rim pretty easily. Zingis looked lost in the first half, hopefully his role doesn't shrink this year.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kibner posted:

You are off the Buddy train, I take it? Also, I get to see him and the Nuggets' bugs in person tonight. :cool:

I love Buddy I just think him coming off the bench hurts his chances a lot

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Lockback posted:

I always hate the "contested Rebound" stat. Durant has rebounded well his entire career. If you think it's complete luck that he has always gotten around 7-8 boards a game from the 3 position, I am not sure what to say but at some point I think you have to admit he is good at getting in position and not needing to contest his boards.
You get a lot of rebounds as a forward by playing 35 min a game and being tall. I dont think Griffin is particularly good on the dboards. The underlying rebounding statistics are very useful in telling who actually wins rebounds which becomes considerably more important if you're a poor rebounding/small team

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Ratzinc posted:

Good to see the cavs put on a show during that blowout. Noah looks done out there, via the EYE TEST and stats. Derrick Rose still can't make layups at a consistent basis even though he's getting to the rim pretty easily. Zingis looked lost in the first half, hopefully his role doesn't shrink this year.

I disagree about Noah, his defense looked ok and he was still doing stuff on the floor, just not things that ended up in the box score. However, the Knicks looked pretty good when he was on the floor and they looked like dog poop when he sat.

Rose looked really good to start and then started pressing and took his team out of it. So....basically 2015-2016 Derrick Rose. Sorry Knick's fans.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Re Durant Rebounding: he's fine but I wouldn't say he's good at it by any means

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

You get a lot of rebounds as a forward by playing 35 min a game and being tall. I dont think Griffin is particularly good on the dboards. The underlying rebounding statistics are very useful in telling who actually wins rebounds which becomes considerably more important if you're a poor rebounding/small team

Still, there is value to being 7 feet tall with long arms at SF. To say Durant is a bad rebounder is a bit disingenuous. His physical tools make him an asset on the boards even if he isn't doing dirty work down low.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

Still, there is value to being 7 feet tall with long arms at SF. To say Durant is a bad rebounder is a bit disingenuous. His physical tools make him an asset on the boards even if he isn't doing dirty work down low.
Not good =/= bad, I think he's just 'ok' for a 3/4. It's not a particular asset.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

He has the 2nd best DRB% of any SF behind only Thad Young (who I can't remember if he plays mostly the 3 or the 4, so Durant might be the best). There are lots of tall guys who don't do nearly as well.

I don't think he is an elite rebounder, but he is really good and the fact that other players don't contest the boards he gets shouldn't be an indictment against him.

Edit: AND I think we just lost all those cool new lurkers-turned-posters

Lockback fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 26, 2016

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Lockback posted:

I like this thread. It's a fresh change from the football threads where everyone is miserable and hates life. NBA is fun and cool and good.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Lockback posted:

I don't think he is an elite rebounder, but he is really good and the fact that other players don't contest the boards he gets shouldn't be an indictment against him.

This is a weird way to spin it.

I recorded these statistics last season and it's pretty clear that there's a good correlation between being qualitatively good at rebounding and pulling down contested rebounds. It's not like the best guys get less contested boards. The stats and the eye test match up pretty darn well.

All of the other good guys grab a lot. Giannis and MKG were the best SFs last season. Rudy Gay and LeBron shortly after. The best SG was PJ Tucker by a mile.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Evan Turner.. good rebounder or elite rebounder?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

The Warriors getting blown out made me so loving ready for this season. I can't wait for them to win 60 games, come in 2nd in the conference and be lambasted by literally everyone as a complete failure.

Also for KD to be shook af and leave in free agency

if anything imo KD will be the best player on the team by far this year and that will shake the rest of the team to their very cores continuing the good work of LeBron James.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

iamsosmrt posted:

Evan Turner.. good rebounder or elite rebounder?
Depends where he plays for your team. He's solid for a guard.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
are box scores anywhere to be found on the new nba site? when i click on the game it just takes me to the league pass replay.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

leftist heap posted:

are box scores anywhere to be found on the new nba site? when i click on the game it just takes me to the league pass replay.

yahoo sports only for box scores

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

leftist heap posted:

the new nba site is dumb as hell I hope Lebron gets them to fix it again

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

This is a weird way to spin it.

I recorded these statistics last season and it's pretty clear that there's a good correlation between being qualitatively good at rebounding and pulling down contested rebounds. It's not like the best guys get less contested boards. The stats and the eye test match up pretty darn well.

All of the other good guys grab a lot. Giannis and MKG were the best SFs last season. Rudy Gay and LeBron shortly after. The best SG was PJ Tucker by a mile.

So I guess what is your explanation as to why he consistently rebounds near the top of his position? Luck, there are rebounds other players don't care about? I can see pointing to those stats over a short amount of time to say someone is just having the ball bounce his way, but at some point it stops becoming luck.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Lockback posted:

So I guess what is your explanation as to why he consistently rebounds near the top of his position? Luck, there are rebounds other players don't care about? I can see pointing to those stats over a short amount of time to say someone is just having the ball bounce his way, but at some point it stops becoming luck.

Durant gets a lot of rebound because he's good at chasing down free balls. When it comes to boxing out and fighting for the ball he's not good

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Pop is getting weird
https://twitter.com/stewardsfolly/status/791085950952615936

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

hell yeah

bball time

go The Wolves

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

parthenocarpy posted:

hell yeah

bball time

go The Wolves

:yeah:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Lockback posted:

I'm on mobile so this is going to be a bad example, but is Russell Westbrook better at rebounding than Blake Griffin? They grab roughly the same number per game, but Griffin grabs two times as many contested boards. Rebounds are not all created equal. Empty rebounding for stars has been a thing forever.

E: RWB is still ridiculous for his position

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm watching basketball this year IMO. Go the Blazers

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Alain Post posted:

I'm watching basketball this year IMO. Go the Blazers
Nice moves.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm on mobile so this is going to be a bad example, but is Russell Westbrook better at rebounding than Blake Griffin? They grab roughly the same number per game, but Griffin grabs two times as many contested boards. Rebounds are not all created equal. Empty rebounding for stars has been a thing forever.

E: RWB is still ridiculous for his position

I think its gets harder to compare across positions like that, but Westbrook is one of the best rebounding guards in the league, if not the best. And somewhat ironic you use him because how many of these free rebounds did OKC have bouncing around out there last year?

I don't think Durant is Elite across positions, but I do think he is very good for a wing player, and I'll even concede he is not as good as other, lower DRB% guys who may have higher contest %s. But I still maintain he is good and at some point a lower contest% just means you got yourself in a position where you don't need to fight for your boards.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I mean I think Adams and Ibaka's numbers really suffered last season because they were doing a lot of the dirty work for RWB and Durant to grab the ball and start the break (which makes sense) but I didn't watch enough Thunder to know if that's accurate.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Westbrook rebound numbers were inflated because the bigs would allow Russ to take rebounds as a design play

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

This is a result of Tim Duncan retiring and altering the space-time continuum that the Spurs occupied. Pop will slowly go insane this season as he reverts to the mental age of a toddler while his body becomes a never-changing tomb.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.

mamba mentality

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

milk milk lemonade posted:

This is a result of Tim Duncan retiring and altering the space-time continuum that the Spurs occupied. Pop will slowly go insane this season as he reverts to the mental age of a toddler while his body becomes a never-changing tomb.

And we'll still win it all. :cool:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Was having an interesting discussion. In a one-game playoff which player would you rather have right now: Ricky Rubio or Mike Conley?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Mike Conley.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Was having an interesting discussion. In a one-game playoff which player would you rather have right now: Ricky Rubio or Mike Conley?

I'd rather watch Rubio. It depends on the rest of the roster makeup, but Conley probably fits into most other lineups a lot better than Rubio. In this theory world I can probably put together a 4 man lineup that I'd rather have Rubio driving, though.

This coming from someone who is a huge Rubio fan.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Jesus loving Christ. There's nothing else that can top that picture. It's glorious.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

I'd rather watch Rubio. It depends on the rest of the roster makeup, but Conley probably fits into most other lineups a lot better than Rubio. In this theory world I can probably put together a 4 man lineup that I'd rather have Rubio driving, though.

This coming from someone who is a huge Rubio fan.

Yeah this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

That happened this year! It's not a contradiction!

• Locked thread