Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Kurtofan posted:

did they ad the effects

no they were all there in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

this is a work of art

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Has he brought up the fish people again? Seems like there's more to that story.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GInZ4oQhhzE

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/shwww4/status/790859967523762176

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

https://youtu.be/-ZBqtCiVee4

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

I like this because he assumes Texas Monthly being one of the "Top 20 Magazines in Texas" means it's in every home in Texas. I don't think the Top One magazine in Texas is in even half the homes in Texas.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Oh man, I remember working on starting that rumor with some friends when I lived in 21st Street Coop back in 2002. Like, it was just kind of a running gag we had whenever Jones got brought up. (Also this web site that hosted a bunch of videos of Bill Hicks and Joe Rogan clips also had a lot of Alex Jones on it as well, that was what we used as "proof".)

I guess people had parallel trains of thought or some of the other power-stoners from that crowd kept on telling the story enough times that it caught on.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

same profoundly

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
im a pioneer

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

oh yeah?? well i'm an explorer, b*tch

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
i have hot blood pumping through me

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

i like that alex jones can't bring himself to say 'I LIKE TO HAVE SEX'

because that would just be inappropriate

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

sex, well, i dunno but he likes to have children.

v unfortunate since that is a sin but oh well

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
I like to EAT

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

movin fast!!

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

i love the building 7 icon. um in alex jones news, lets see what he's up to

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/alex-jones-hillary-clinton-has-personally-murdered-and-chopped-up-and-raped-children/

kinda tepid stuff from alex. i'm worried about his ability to be creative in the trump era

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

theory: alex jones had a stroke and is hiding it up from the public

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I havent been keeping up , how many cusks has carl slain now?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

I havent been keeping up , how many cusks has carl slain now?

All of us. For we are the cucks.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

[As Carl DDoS attacks SomethingAwful] That still only counts as one!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Alex Jones is a huge star wars fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Acu1Ofh-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFIrBw4es-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlv0riYRmmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFTQjJUjmS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBSy1DbGcAo

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Has Alex Jones turned on Trump yet?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
That's inevitable, especially with Trump appointing so many dudes from Goldman and the neocon crowd.

Jones will get what he wants out of Trump's time in office and then use him as an excuse to start a new angle attacking Trump for some sleight.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

zen death robot posted:

He's gotta catch him in bed with a goblin first

Kissing goblins?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

surprised this hasnt been posted yet because its the best alex jones vid

https://youtu.be/feRD9qCJtM8

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

My dad unironically told me I should listen to this Alex Jones guy because he was really onto something with this Jade Helm thing.

Guess it's time to toss some crazy pills on his daily pile

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfKzHpsQkxo

i kinda am really curious about the acid house we all know alex jones makes

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

like the moldovian teens, alex jones's fake news racket is really all about buying kit for his tunes

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Hi,

Sorry to bump this thread from page 2, but I have a problem and I need some help. I have a friend who used to link me stuff from infowars and breitbart, but in an ironic way. About a month ago he started on this pizzagate thing and he is totally convinced that it is true and he gets pissed at me when I look at what he's linking to me and don't come to the same conclusions. Since then, he's no longer ironically reading infowars and breitbart, he is taking it seriously. He thinks Kanye West was drugged or something for speaking out against Hillary Clinton. He is now convinced that the Sandy Hook shooting didn't happen, the school was closed in 2008 and made to look like a real functioning school, and crisis actors were paid to make it look like a shooting happened. He claims that cultural marxism has taken over the schools and universities.

What I have noticed is that he is starting to act like some of these conspiracy theorists, in that in his mind he's free to throw out any claim that he wants and attack anyone, but the second I question him or call him on it, it is proof of a conspiracy, or all of a sudden HE is the one being persecuted because I don't believe him. In order to avoid that, I actually watched a 2 hour youtube video of a fat sweaty man talking about why Sandy Hook didn't happen because he got mad and called me ignorant when I said that I didn't want to watch it. He claims that he is red pilling, but it's not the MRA red pill.

Does that make sense? How do I deal with this? I suggested that he could leave behind the red pill and just be red but he said no.

Thank you.

Edit: I hope this is appropriate for the Alex Jones thread. I didn't know where to ask and all my other friends have no loving clue what to do about this guy. I figured this was a good place to ask.

Greg Legg has issued a correction as of 05:02 on Dec 18, 2016

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Greg Legg posted:

Hi,

Sorry to bump this thread from page 2, but I have a problem and I need some help. I have a friend who used to link me stuff from infowars and breitbart, but in an ironic way. About a month ago he started on this pizzagate thing and he is totally convinced that it is true and he gets pissed at me when I look at what he's linking to me and don't come to the same conclusions. Since then, he's no longer ironically reading infowars and breitbart, he is taking it seriously. He thinks Kanye West was drugged or something for speaking out against Hillary Clinton. He is now convinced that the Sandy Hook shooting didn't happen, the school was closed in 2008 and made to look like a real functioning school, and crisis actors were paid to make it look like a shooting happened. He claims that cultural marxism has taken over the schools and universities.

What I have noticed is that he is starting to act like some of these conspiracy theorists, in that in his mind he's free to throw out any claim that he wants and attack anyone, but the second I question him or call him on it, it is proof of a conspiracy, or all of a sudden HE is the one being persecuted because I don't believe him. In order to avoid that, I actually watched a 2 hour youtube video of a fat sweaty man talking about why Sandy Hook didn't happen because he got mad and called me ignorant when I said that I didn't want to watch it. He claims that he is red pilling, but it's not the MRA red pill.

Does that make sense? How do I deal with this? I suggested that he could leave behind the red pill and just be red but he said no.

Thank you.

Edit: I hope this is appropriate for the Alex Jones thread. I didn't know where to ask and all my other friends have no loving clue what to do about this guy. I figured this was a good place to ask.

Im sorry your friend is developing schizophrenia. Try and talk them into seeing a doctor

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory#Psychological_origins

1) Make sure this isn't the onset of schizophrenia

2) Get them to stop consuming this conspiracy crap. The more exposure they have the more likely they are to believe.

3) try and identify any psychological problems which they may be projecting onto the external world. Improve their mood and their conspiratorial ideations may naturally recede.

Absolutely do not argue with them about anything as it will only reinforce their existing beliefs.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
your friend was not doing the original linking 'ironically'

he sounds anxious & paranoid, his distrust of any and all news sources has lead him to try and figure everything out himself, but he doesn't have the critical thinking skills to do that correctly, on all issues, so he naturally ends up with crazy ideas

and when you attack those ideas, you're attacking him personally, because you make him feel stupid

they sound like they need support, reassurance, and most importantly of all, I think you just need to talk through with him about politics and life and stuff

like just sit down, ask him what he honestly feels about the direction the world is going, his country is going, his life is going, etc.

have like a normal conversation, but let him take the lead, push him to talk it all outside of his head, say everything out loud

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I hosed up when this all started because I started questioning him and that might have put him on the defensive. I hate to say it but he can be paranoid at times, so I need to sit him down and have him talk all this poo poo out with me. Unfortunately, he's not really talking to me right now because I think he's pissed at me for not believing him.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i think your best bet is to admit fault, but not lie to him

"look, i'm sorry, i wasn't being fair to you. I still don't agree with you, but maybe I got carried away. let's talk this out"

or something along those lines

then transition -> "how long have you had this opinion on X issue", see if there's a formative experience

talk out that experience, agree with anything you agree with, grant him some validation on something

from there, you can maybe try and tease out the source of the anxiety

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

E/N in the Trump years.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Greg Legg posted:

Hi,

Thank you.

i had a close friend from college fall to this poo poo and i tried a bunch of poo poo to shake him out of it but it was a lost cause. really sucks because he was a cool guy and now i cant talk to him at all without all kinds of craziness.

this was before the trump madness though, was about 2013, so its probably a lot worse now.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

They've got pills and stuff these days. Just get them to go to a doctor. Maybe trick them?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Can you get people sectioned in the us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

My cousin's friend had a mental breakdown from taking too much acid. NSA spying on him, CIA out to get him, all sorts of baby's first mental breakdown. I told him that once paranoia broke someone's brain that I didn't know of a case where the brain 'un-broke' but rather just modified itself to the new existence. I told him that the best thing he could do is be a source of trusted advice and information and try to unwork the damage and get the person to calm down, and that because he was in the middle of a mental breakdown that my cousin should take him out to breakfast and force feed him comfort food.

But infowars man..inforwars....sorry but you gotta take your friend to the vet and have him put to sleep. Not sure if they ddo that where you are from but it costs $50 here.

• Locked thread