Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I mean, I really want one, but if it's going to be more than $350, I probably wont be able to get it day 1.

You get to a point where you are like "is it worth it to wait 2 years to save $100? Nope"

Nintendo first party titles rarely drop in price that quickly. Like I'm totally holding out on PSVR because I know if I just wait a year all of those tech demos for less than $5 or free on PS+. I am not paying $20 for a game that can be beaten in 1 hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

deadly_pudding posted:

It'll probably be like the Wii U, where it was $299 for the basic package, or $349 for more accessories and/or internal storage.

Actually, I'm really curious about what the storage solution here is going to be. You can't really call it portable if it's plugged into an external hard drive, and some modern games that don't have the benefit of having tiny assets like on 3DS can easily take up an entire 64 GB SD Card.

I can't see Nintendo abandoning the e-shop, but I am very curious to see if they have a solution for this, or if I'm just gonna be hot-swapping SD cards :v:

You'll use carts ofc. Actually, some games may even be cart-only, no way is Nintendo going to give that thing enough internal storage

I look forward to getting my joycon-belt all loaded up with carts and joycons

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah I went all digital with WiiU and 3ds with the exception of four or five games. With Switch I think I'm going back to all cart. Storage will just be for light eshop games and various apps.

But apparently in a year or so a TB sd card won't be prohibitively expensive.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I look forward to getting my joycon-belt all loaded up with carts and joycons

tiny joycon six-shooter holsters...

Yeah, I don't have anything against buying physical copies of games. Digital is mostly just more convenient for me.

Most of my Wii U games are physical because it's usually cheaper that way, but most of my 3DS games are digital, a decision I'm glad I made because I have like way too many of them to reasonably keep track of. I'd have one of those gamestop glass cabinets in my living room.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

You'll use carts ofc. Actually, some games may even be cart-only, no way is Nintendo going to give that thing enough internal storage
Yes they've been pushing digital purchases on the eShop for 4 years but they are definitely going to completely abandon that now.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

It'll probably be like the Wii U, where it was $299 for the basic package, or $349 for more accessories and/or internal storage.

FWIW Nintendo has explicitly said that the Wii U cost too much and that those prices were made up a large chunk of the reason for its failure. I'm guessing $249/299 myself.

quote:

Actually, I'm really curious about what the storage solution here is going to be. You can't really call it portable if it's plugged into an external hard drive, and some modern games that don't have the benefit of having tiny assets like on 3DS can easily take up an entire 64 GB SD Card.

I can't see Nintendo abandoning the e-shop, but I am very curious to see if they have a solution for this, or if I'm just gonna be hot-swapping SD cards :v:

It'll be SD or microSD for the portable - I can see ways that it can work. For one, they're getting bigger and cheaper constantly. There are also theories that the dock may be able to hold a laptop-size HDD - I don't know how likely it is, but if that was capable of holding most of your games and the only ones you needed at any one time were whatever you wanted to play between dockings, that could really help. Besides that I'm hoping Nintendo at least tries to get third-parties to clamp down on their file sizes. The games will probably be like Gen7 games running in higher resolutions with better framerates, and most of those had to fit on DVDs at least because of the 360. I hope they're capable of holding back.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

DalaranJ posted:

I don't know how to tell you this Mr. President, but Japan has announced their intention to launch the Nintendo Switch. I recommend we go to JOYCON 1.

Thread title.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

deadly_pudding posted:

M.2 SSD slot under a service cover, problem solved :)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

There was some csi style ENHANCE post on reddit or something i saw (im at work and cant link via phone) where a dude found the sd card slot back by where the kick stand is.

Also he has a pretty good shot of the tiny bumper/trigger on the side of the joycon for when you are cooping on the go so there really are buttons there.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

organburner posted:

obviously this is the correct idea, all consoles have been bad since they stopped including expansion slots

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

oddium posted:

if you don't count the original Xbox that is :twisted:

I found an original supersize Xbox controller at my parents', been thinking of modding it into an mATX box

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

shoutouts to your gamer parents

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

irlZaphod posted:

Yes they've been pushing digital purchases on the eShop for 4 years but they are definitely going to completely abandon that now.

Hey don't ruin my desperate attempts at clinging to my co-processor-in-cart fantasy :mad:

The carts figure prominently in the launch video which obviously means close to nothing confirms every stupid thought I got. Though to be fair it wouldn't make sense to have cartridges + USB storage + SD cards/equivalent + internal memory, unless they do an

organburner posted:

Which would make a lot of sense but would surprise and shock me

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Can't wait to pay $300 for the Wii U Slim and buy all my games again.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

oddium posted:

shoutouts to your gamer parents

That would be cool but sadly it's loot from my brothers' abandoned gooncaves

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yo what kind of filligree should I get on my Switch?

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

limaCAT posted:

I still need to play Drift Stage, and Nintendo will be doomed if they don't have a Drift Stage port for the NY

If we're lucky, the Switch is powerful enough to run it

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Any theories on backwards controller compatibility? I feel like the WiiU Pro could be made to work without issue.

Semi-related, it's interesting that the switch pro controller returns to a GCN-like layout.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

coffeecup posted:

Any theories on backwards controller compatibility? I feel like the WiiU Pro could be made to work without issue.

Semi-related, it's interesting that the switch pro controller returns to a GCN-like layout.

Here's my theory: yea probably.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'd be willing to pay $400 for a good bundle, but I think anything over $300 is probably going to push a lot of people away.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it would be good if the wii u pro controller worked

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

it would be good if the wii u pro controller worked

I think it looks nicer then the switch pro controller.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'd bet no. The Switch pro controller probably has gyro and almost definitely has analog triggers and they probably want to ensure no matter what controller a developer is dealing with it has the same functionality.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

gyro more like gy-no. er wait

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i will pay anything for the nintendo switch

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I hope it has gyro, a big tasty gyro with tazatziki sauce and lamb

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I hope the gamepad works with the switch so I can have a seamless Splatoon experience.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the switch pro controller fixes the dumbo "buttons under stick" layout of the wii u pro

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reiley posted:

Be sure the Switch is inserted in the Switch Power unit before pressing the Power Switch on the Switch unit itself.

Switch this *does insane karate chops like I'm Ben Stiller at fat camp

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I hope Switch will bring back my friend and comrade, R.O.B.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I hope Switch will bring back my friend and comrade, R.O.B.

I hope the Switch teaches us that our real Operating Buddy was always there, within.

no siblings :hf:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

oddium posted:

the switch pro controller fixes the dumbo "buttons under stick" layout of the wii u pro

It's not dumbo at all.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

R.O.B.'s Amiibo is pretty much a better working version of what R.O.B. was originally supposed to do.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
200 because I'll still play my computer more.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Overbite posted:

Can't wait to pay $300 for the Wii U Slim and buy all my games again.

Ironically same

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

I'd be willing to pay $400 for a good bundle, but I think anything over $300 is probably going to push a lot of people away.

Agreed, especially when you can get a PS4 or Xbone with a disc drive, more power and a game for $299. When you consider that some people won't care about portability the base model really need to be more like $249. I feel like a $400 Switch bundle would have to be some kind of big, limited 'Nintendo Catchup' deal that included ports of 4 or 5 of the big Wii U exclusives (Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Smash, maybe BotW), targeted at the people who like their games but never got a Wii U.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

BreakAtmo posted:

Agreed, especially when you can get a PS4 or Xbone with a disc drive, more power and a game for $299. When you consider that some people won't care about portability the base model really need to be more like $249. I feel like a $400 Switch bundle would have to be some kind of big, limited 'Nintendo Catchup' deal that included ports of 4 or 5 of the big Wii U exclusives (Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Smash, maybe BotW), targeted at the people who like their games but never got a Wii U.

The disc drive's included? holy poo poo... what are they thinking....

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

elf help book posted:

The disc drive's included? holy poo poo... what are they thinking....

The point is that, from what I've heard, a disc drive adds more to the cost of each unit than an SD card slot.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

How much data are carts like what were shown in the trailer able to hold nowadays? And if they're big enough can devs set aside memory on them to store entire DLC packs and save data on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I don't really think people take the individual prices of the parts inside into account when determining if a console is worth its price tag. You aren't going to build your own.

• Locked thread