Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Rastor posted:

And then we'll all live in this world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJg02ivYzSs

and we'll be the old people saying "in MY DAY"

Well that rocked. Like the good parts of a black mirror episode condensed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

NRVNQSR posted:

That aside, I think the pass-through camera is the main thing I miss when doing seated gamepad gaming on the Rift.

LeapMotion is like $25 and there's a demo for it that does this when you wave your hand over the it:

There's no program I've seen to inject that capability into other VR games though; too bad because it would be super helpful. I just look down through the nose hole but still.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
AR contact lenses?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

The SteamVR beta just got updated with support for asynchronous reprojection. It only works for Nvidia cards for the moment though. I just tested with Elite, and it went from a jerkfest insides stations to buttery smooth even with supersampling on.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Rectus posted:

The SteamVR beta just got updated with support for asynchronous reprojection. It only works for Nvidia cards for the moment though. I just tested with Elite, and it went from a jerkfest insides stations to buttery smooth even with supersampling on.

Rift only, right?

Edit: nevermind, looks like the vive is supported!

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

App13 posted:

Rift only, right?

Edit: nevermind, looks like the vive is supported!

yup. just tested it out in the Golf Club VR : previously it'd run fine on medium, but choke and die on high settings. Buttery smooth on High now, BUT : slight occasional input judder as a result makes you gently caress up putts.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Nerdrock posted:

yup. just tested it out in the Golf Club VR : previously it'd run fine on medium, but choke and die on high settings. Buttery smooth on High now, BUT : slight occasional input judder as a result makes you gently caress up putts.

I'm hoping this will make my 970 a little more viable. The judder on most games was killing me

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
That's pretty great. Keep in mind that it is just ATW, so while it isn't as bad as Valve's old interleaved 45Hz stuff, it will still cause judder if you are below 90Hz. It will just be more random now.

Also, you have to turn off interleaved reprojection in the options or else it will still drop to 45Hz.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

DCS World is actually playable now, thank you based Gaben

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

So how is this different/work in conjunction with ASW?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

AndrewP posted:

So how is this different/work in conjunction with ASW?
Its rotational projection only, ASW goes a step further and also warps positionally. At one time "spacewarp" was called "positional timewarp", but I guess now the standard nomenclature, at least as far as Oculus is concerned is ATW for rotational and ASW for position+rotation.

Same principles though of taking a frame and reprojecting it so that its correct for the current HMD pose. The graphical artifacts are a little different, little bit more severe with ASW though, and also any kinda reprojection is only going to smooth your head position, if you have hand controllers they will visibly judder a bit when timewarp kicks in.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

So Microsoft are starting to push Windows Holographic.

quote:

Microsoft’s partners will ship a new line of virtual reality headsets to take advantage of Windows 10’s VR and holographic capabilities. At today’s event, Microsoft said that the headsets will start at $299 and will include inside-out tracking sensors, obviating the need for external cameras or laser systems like those on the current Oculus Rift or HTC Vive. HP, Dell, Lenovo, Asus, and Acer are all listed as partners.

While relatively little is known about the headsets, the six-degree-of-freedom tracking system sounds similar to Oculus’ Santa Cruz prototype, which also includes inside-out tracking. They are distinct from Microsoft HoloLens, an augmented or “mixed” reality headset that projects virtual objects into the real world. While the headsets don’t need external trackers, the one we saw on stage today still looks to be wired, not totally self-contained like Santa Cruz.

I think they're likely using the tracking system Hololens uses. From what I hear it's pretty good, though they didn't demonstrate nor announce any 6DOF controllers. While hand tracking is cool I feel that you need some kind of tactile feedback and despite people claiming that you don't need to know the position of your hands all the time, losing tracking of them when you're not looking at them breaks a lot of cool game gestures and mechanics. Also no word on whether these headsets will support OpenVR though I think it's likely (conversely the Vive will likely support Windows Holographic). Oculus, notably, was not mentioned.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I wonder what the specs on those things are cause dang that's cheap

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
It's weird that they didn't say anything RE: Oculus because it they've been working together heavily to fix Windows 10's kernel and drivers to allow things like ASW and ATW to even work in the first place.
Also stuff like running the HMD in exclusive mode rather than an extended monitor etc.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe it was similar to Valve and Oculus and Microsoft just said "gently caress it, we'll do our own thing."

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

w00tazn posted:

It's weird that they didn't say anything RE: Oculus because it they've been working together heavily to fix Windows 10's kernel and drivers to allow things like ASW and ATW to even work in the first place.
Also stuff like running the HMD in exclusive mode rather than an extended monitor etc.
The probably want to disassociate themselves from the white supremacist VR company. Either that or they're doing the standard Microsoft thing and moving from embrace to extend

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
It amuses me that instead of the nakedly partisan fights we've had until now, the Vive and Oculus subreddits seem to be uniting to say "this headset can't possibly be as good as the Vive or Rift." It's kind of like the old saying that the only way the world would unite is if it were attacked by aliens, only instead of aliens it's Microsoft.

In my opinion, more competition can only be a good thing.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It's just hard to believe that both Oculus and Valve/HTC would get lapped so badly without knowing it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
What;s the best VR game for working up a sweat, preferable to a beat? Is it still audioshield, or is there something better?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

GlyphGryph posted:

What;s the best VR game for working up a sweat, preferable to a beat? Is it still audioshield, or is there something better?

Holopoint is pretty much the king of exercise games, though it doesn't really do music (there is music in game, but it's just the in-game stuff)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Confirming holopoint is the poo poo.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

AndrewP posted:

It's just hard to believe that both Oculus and Valve/HTC would get lapped so badly without knowing it.

Yeah, that seems odd. There has to be some sort of drawback, like lower resolution, choppier tracking, or something like that. Hope some more concrete details come out soon, because I still haven't bought a HMD and it would suck to drop $800 when an equivalent device that costs half that is around the corner.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Yeah, that seems odd. There has to be some sort of drawback, like lower resolution, choppier tracking, or something like that. Hope some more concrete details come out soon, because I still haven't bought a HMD and it would suck to drop $800 when an equivalent device that costs half that is around the corner.

I'm sure it's going to be like GearVR quality.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Maybe it's a playstation VR quality thing. I'm sure there's plenty of work going into cheaper hardware right now though. There's a bunch more headsets and software out than there was in March after all

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Considering that the model demonstrated was an all-in-one unit, a big pricing advantage would be in component cost. The Rift, Vive and PSVR are kits with the cameras/lighthouses, controllers and cables all adding considerably to the weight and cost of the unit. Selling just a headset with maybe a single tether is going to be cheaper, even with the addition of 3 extra cameras on the HMD.

It's a smart move. I'm still interested what they're doing with input, but it's possible to do a hell of a lot more with the technology they're promising than a stock Rift. A good deal of Vive games could conceivably work with purely hand tracking inputs too and if they follow the trend of adding ASW like the others, it may well be possible to put together a capable VR PC at less than the cost of PS4+PSVR.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The biggest issue is Microsoft and consumer hardware. I mean this could be the time they do it right and we'll all stand up and cheer but their history isn't very supportive.
I bet it will be some sort of stupid 'gotcha' that's doomed all their hardware initiatives before.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

KakerMix posted:

The biggest issue is Microsoft and consumer hardware. I mean this could be the time they do it right and we'll all stand up and cheer but their history isn't very supportive.
I bet it will be some sort of stupid 'gotcha' that's doomed all their hardware initiatives before.

Wait, what??! The Microsoft Sidewinder was several generations of AWESOME joystick. The Microsoft Keyboard is really popular amongst everyone. The Microsoft Mouse is great. The Microsoft Wifi Adapter, before they cut it, was the simplest and most successful wifi adapter I'd found. The XBox controllers have been great. I think they do a great job at consumer peripherals. The Surface Pro and Surface Book devices are fantastic. Even the kinect was a lovely piece of hardware loved by hobbyists, even if it didn't find a great place in games.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

ljw1004 posted:

Wait, what??! The Microsoft Sidewinder was several generations of AWESOME joystick. The Microsoft Keyboard is really popular amongst everyone. The Microsoft Mouse is great. The Microsoft Wifi Adapter, before they cut it, was the simplest and most successful wifi adapter I'd found. The XBox controllers have been great. I think they do a great job at consumer peripherals. The Surface Pro and Surface Book devices are fantastic. Even the kinect was a lovely piece of hardware loved by hobbyists, even if it didn't find a great place in games.

Counterpoint: Xbox 360 red ring of death, and the Zune...

I appreciate most of their hardware, and the Xbox One controllers are easily the best gamepad ever made, but it's not like they don't know how to royally gently caress up sometimes.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Zune was good, it just came out too late

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Microsoft hardware has been generally quite good, the 360 RROD debacle notwithstanding. People love their Surface Pros and their peripherals are excellent.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SwissCM posted:

Microsoft hardware has been generally quite good, the 360 RROD debacle notwithstanding. People love their Surface Pros and their peripherals are excellent.
The Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 is one of the best keyboards ever made. Too bad they hosed up on the Sculpt.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Microsoft has proven time & time again if they commit to something and then stick with it for 3+ generations the first generation will be meh, the second usable with major caveats and the third anywhere from OK to great.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Except phone.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

FormatAmerica posted:

Microsoft has proven time & time again if they commit to something and then stick with it for 3+ generations the first generation will be meh, the second usable with major caveats and the third anywhere from OK to great.

The Xbox One would like a word.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

ljw1004 posted:

I don't mean the hardware in the sense of it physically I mean convincing everyone else to use it, and also whacked-out software issues. Microsoft is the parents in those old Corn Pops commercials from the 90s, there is just something 'dad' about them every time they try to make something neat.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

bloodysabbath posted:

The Xbox One would like a word.

lol yeah you got me. Since I'm in no way a console apologist, I'm not touching that.

I'll generalize to: not everything Microsoft does is bad & they seem to be doing a slightly better job of picking winners these days.

If you support VR, you shouldn't be against more VR headsets. If it's bad, everyone will understand it's Microsoft that sucks and not VR.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I do like that the MS headset seems to be cribbing the PSVR headband design. That is better than the Vive and Oculus goggle idea.

Splashy Gravy
Dec 21, 2004

I HAVE FURY!
Slippery Tilde
Apologies for the months-overdue reaction, but holy wow the new, highest difficulty setting in Audio Shield is amazing. It triples the enjoyment. Now I have to catch up with all the new stuff.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Where is a microsoft all in one headset going to fit though? It wouldn't run any PC VR programs, it wouldn't run daydream or gearVR software. It would be a from scratch ecosystem and how are they going to get enough people on board to develop for a mobile level system and get people to buy in?

It would be one thing if they were making a new PC headset that was working with basically some kind of directVR, while also being compatible with openVR and pie in the sky also working with oculus for OVR support. That would have a place. Another system though not compatible with anything else? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

Where is a microsoft all in one headset going to fit though? It wouldn't run any PC VR programs, it wouldn't run daydream or gearVR software. It would be a from scratch ecosystem and how are they going to get enough people on board to develop for a mobile level system and get people to buy in?

It would be one thing if they were making a new PC headset that was working with basically some kind of directVR, while also being compatible with openVR and pie in the sky also working with oculus for OVR support. That would have a place. Another system though not compatible with anything else? Why?
Do you really need to ask why Microsoft would want to elbow in on a market and try to become the dominant player? Its what they do man. Anyway, the platform already exists even if its not widely used yet, its the same one that's used in the Hololens, Windows Holographic. It is pretty much what you'd want future MR computing to be like, at least from a user interface perspective, total system level support, 2D (universal only afaik) apps are rendered as floating displays in virtual space and at any time an app can take exclusive control of the headset and start pushing frames, its by and large a very good API (and also Unity supports it which is all that matters these days). The important and very big caveat though, is that they've also married it to UWA, maybe it'll change when this stuff comes out (doubtful) but I don't think there's any way to access it from native code and that's a bunch of bullshit.

Still, Microsoft's got a lot of weight to throw around as the platform holder and they're trying to make Holographic the first class interface for mixed reality in Windows that's easy to use and widely licensed to their partners, and HTC and Oculus are the second class citizens with niche APIs that are (comparatively) harder for users to access. Basically doing the DirectX thing all over again.