Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Or just use them to combat rising sea levels. Alison's helping the global climate change problem too!

That's what I was alluding to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Paladinus posted:

That's what I was alluding to.

Ah, I thought you just wanted recreational meat islands.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Ah, I thought you just wanted recreational meat islands.

They will be recreating themselves, yes.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
So when is the other shoe going to drop? There has to be another shoe to drop, right? The writers have done some stupid things but I can't believe that they would actually be dumb enough to retroactively ruin one of the comic's better moments like that.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Atmus posted:

Having thought about this for a minute which was ten times longer than this comic deserves anymore, I'm betting they still have that rig that keeps her open, one guy grabs the heart, and everyone else slashes up the veins/arteries/nerves/whatever else while grabber dude pulls. They probably wreck a few of them getting up to speed or change shifts, but so what? Hearts ain't valuable any more. You can probably remove a heart pretty fast when your team does the exact same procedure on the exact same patient hundreds of times per day and it doesn't actually matter if you have a 100% success rate. Basically for this to be 'real', stop thinking of them as surgeons and start thinking of them as slaughterhouse production line workers. Replace heart with whatever else and there you go.
I wonder how many surgeons and doctors and assistants have been accidentally killed from constantly trying to operate faster than Robert Liston.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
e: oops wrong img

pretend there is a big dumb pen and paper RPG surgery critical failure table here, which unfortunately I can't find or this would be a really good post :smith:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 25, 2016

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Fish Noise posted:

I wonder how many surgeons and doctors and assistants have been accidentally killed from constantly trying to operate faster than Robert Liston.

You know who could make an industrial flesh-harvester pretty easily? That lady who makes robots.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
How to solve world hunger:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hogge Wild posted:

:vince:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

So when is the other shoe going to drop? There has to be another shoe to drop, right? The writers have done some stupid things but I can't believe that they would actually be dumb enough to retroactively ruin one of the comic's better moments like that.

The whole chapter has been about how some people could do good things, but don't want to for various reasons, and Allison's ambitions would lead her to be a tyrant over them. I assume it will end highlighting that fact.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

lmao

HorseRenoir posted:

Since Feral's new and improved meat factory ability appears to be stable the only way the arc could possibly redeem itself is for Max to get vanished by the superhero Illuminati, and even then that will only serve to solidify what a reprehensible fucker Allison is.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 25, 2016

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
So I got a dumb question. How is Feral still lucid? The poor woman's basically been experiencing the worst sort of torture non-stop for at least a few months. She should be a huddled mess of PTSD by now.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
The answer is that Feral's story is actually really silly and can't hold up to the slightest scrutiny.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

EndOfTheWorld posted:

So I got a dumb question. How is Feral still lucid? The poor woman's basically been experiencing the worst sort of torture non-stop for at least a few months. She should be a huddled mess of PTSD by now.

They were showing her videos of happy people she'd helped.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Typical Pubbie posted:

The answer is that Feral's story is actually really silly and can't hold up to the slightest scrutiny.

like the rest of this comic? :v:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Tenebrais posted:

The whole chapter has been about how some people could do good things, but don't want to for various reasons, and Allison's ambitions would lead her to be a tyrant over them. I assume it will end highlighting that fact.

Even if that does happen, I think the damage has already been done. Allison magically solving the problem in a tidy way with zero negative side effects cheapens Feral's self-sacrifice and ruins the whole point of that story in the first place. Turns out there's no moral dilemma here, you just have to wait for someone stronger and more assertive to solve the problem for you!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why dont you just put the whole world in an arm lock Allison?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It'd be great if it ended with Alison accidently killing Feral and thousands of people because Utilitarian Man's super power is temporary for like only a few weeks.

Also, Heart Transplants are super loving hard to do and there's like maybe 30 hospitals in the US that even do them. It's loving dumb because depending where they are to solve the worlds transplant problem because hearts and lungs last like 5 loving hours even on ice before they can't be transplantable.

It's just loving dumb.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 26, 2016

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
in the interest of fairness i just want to say the panel where feral sees the burger and her pupils dilate like a cat's was pretty cute

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also I don't think it's out of the question that maybe Paladin or that other tiny nerd devised a way to quickly remove a heart and then safely store it for a while but honestly it feels like I'm making an excuse for the sloppy lovely awful hackneyed trite tedious poorly thought out writing

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

While I'm hoping there's more nuance to this, I'm pretty certain all that will happen is 'Alison was right', there are no drawbacks from amping up Feral. No moral, the end.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
https://twitter.com/MollyOstertag/status/791107927666929664

Y'know, I gave 10 dollars to this comic before it even had a donation thing. I didn't want any product, I just loved it and wanted it to keep going.

But, I mean... Why DO I watch this? I feel like at this point I'm just hoping it'll get better, full of nostalgia. It only takes a little time each week, it's an easy habit to stay in... but it makes me kind of sad, y'know?

I gave them 10 dollars because the Feral arc was so powerful, and this is... just, bad. It ruins the memory of that time when this writing was good. I was a real fan and now I'm really just not.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

https://twitter.com/MollyOstertag/status/791107927666929664

Y'know, I gave 10 dollars to this comic before it even had a donation thing. I didn't want any product, I just loved it and wanted it to keep going.

But, I mean... Why DO I watch this? I feel like at this point I'm just hoping it'll get better, full of nostalgia. It only takes a little time each week, it's an easy habit to stay in... but it makes me kind of sad, y'know?

I gave them 10 dollars because the Feral arc was so powerful, and this is... just, bad. It ruins the memory of that time when this writing was good. I was a real fan and now I'm really just not.

Tweet is gone, what did it say?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

HorseRenoir posted:

Tweet is gone, what did it say?

"why do people keep reading comics they don't like?"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Red Metal posted:

Aside from hilarious trainwrecks, do they really not realize that it's the author's choices that drive fans to not like a thing they previously did enjoy? Reading the comments for the latest page is hilarious because like every third or fourth one is some kind of melt down over how dumb this is.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Paladinus posted:

They will be recreating themselves, yes.

Goddamn this pun.

Also this comic, because it's bad.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Red Metal posted:

The same reason some people still watch Walking Dead.

I know that webcomics lurk these forums, so they can see my answer.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I wanted to see the comic live up to its stupid premise.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Calaveron posted:

Also I don't think it's out of the question that maybe Paladin or that other tiny nerd devised a way to quickly remove a heart and then safely store it for a while but honestly it feels like I'm making an excuse for the sloppy lovely awful hackneyed trite tedious poorly thought out writing

Even way back they had some kind of fancy machinery that helped out with this. I imagine it's been improved since, and teleporter people exist so that's not the part where this mess falls apart.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I thought the tweet was "why do people comment on comics they don't like?" Which is sad, because I imagine this twist brought out comments from more than just the ironic edit crowd.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

mycot posted:

I thought the tweet was "why do people comment on comics they don't like?" Which is sad, because I imagine this twist brought out comments from more than just the ironic edit crowd.

"SFP site posted:

Hi guys! By popular request, we added a Cast page and updated our About page, links at the top of the site! Unfortunately something went wrong when the site updated and comments from the last two updates were deleted – sorry about that, we’ll try to recover them if possible. Enjoy the updates!

I think this may not be an accident :v

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Post poste posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Post poste posted:

Ahaha.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybSIhzOcD9w&t=18s

SFP comments.avi

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Post poste posted:

lol

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
How do you have this much time invested in publishing a creative effort and still be such a thin skinned baby :shrug:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
if you want to show the thread something from the artist's twitter, don't link, take a screenshot

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Post poste posted:

Haha yeah I saw that when I went to check what Nuebot was talking about. So for all the comments about how nonsensical "all organs for everyone in 40 hours" is (let alone the thematic implications of it), there probably used to be a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

mycot posted:

Haha yeah I saw that when I went to check what Nuebot was talking about. So for all the comments about how nonsensical "all organs for everyone in 40 hours" is (let alone the thematic implications of it), there probably used to be a lot more.

Which seems like a silly thing for the creatprs to be antsy about being criticized for, since the entire point of the comic is "how do superpowers help make the world a better place". They absolutely have to have these powers thought out well as well as their reprecussions because that's what the goddamn comic is about, and if it's poorly defined or explained then it comes across as sloppy writing. It's one thing to nitpick, it's another to point out when the entire premise of the work is being undermined. The idea is that there are no magic answers and we have to work within this extraordinary but still limited framework, and you're going to give us a magic solution? gently caress that noise.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 26, 2016

• Locked thread